• Published 4th Oct 2015
  • 15,985 Views, 1,780 Comments

Of Flame and Shadow - Garuda IV



Dark Flame was a young stallion of the mining village, Stonewall. But after a dragon thought to be of myth attacks, Dark becomes the only survivor and now attempts to remake his life. However, his past isn't willing to let him go so easily.

  • ...
78
 1,780
 15,985

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 51- Hearts and Hooves Day

It was just after sunrise when Dark awoke from his sleep. Cracking his eyes open, he smiled as he looked down to see Twilight still asleep in his arms. Taking a moment to admire her beauty, he began to notice the soft breaths that she took, some of which sounding like a small hum. But the thing that he noticed the most that made him sigh in content was seeing the peaceful smile on her muzzle. Feeling at peace with Twilight asleep at his side, Dark relaxed and continued to lay in bed with her, simply enjoying the company of the mare who he gave his heart to.

Speaking of hearts, Dark thought as he recalled what day it is.

Remembering that today is Hearts and Hooves Day, Dark, with a bit of hesitation, slowly broke away from Twilight. Once he was out of the bed and saw that he hadn't waken Twilight, Dark tucked her back in and took another look at her. Although he felt tempted to give her a kiss on the forehead, he figured that that would've woken her up, which he didn't want to do quite yet. Quietly covering his hooves and claws in shadows to muffle his movements, Dark silently made his way over to the door, opened it, and carefully and quietly closed it behind him.

Out of their room and standing in the hallway, Dark let out a breath of relief for him not getting caught. Feeling as though the hard part was over with, Dark Shadowported himself down into the kitchen to see Spike already awake and eating at the table.

"Oh, hey, Spike," Dark waved. "Kinda surprised to see you up so soon."

"Morning, Dark," Spike returned. "And, yeah. Normally I'd still be asleep, especially since you or Twilight haven't made any breakfast yet, but I need to get an early start today."

Dark gave him a knowing smirk as he made his way over to the refrigerator.

"Let me guess. Does it by any chance have to do with three certain fillies and the fact that today is Hearts and Hooves Day?"

"Like you even need to ask. Besides, isn't today the exact reason why you're here right now? To make Twilight breakfast or something before she wakes up?"

"And how do you know that I'm not just trying to make myself something to eat before the day begins?"

Spike arched an eyebrow at Dark. "Really? Did you think that I would actually buy that?"

"... maybe?" he weakly answered. Turning his attention back to the fridge, Dark began gathering ingredients for Twilight's breakfast-in-bed before noticing something important missing that caused him to frown. "Spike?"

"Yeah?"

"Did you eat the chocolate-covered strawberries with white-chocolate drizzle that I made for Twilight yesterday?"

"No."

Pausing for a moment to think, Dark snorted a small stream of flames in annoyance.

"Pyre. I should've known it was him. Sucks that the foods I put into my Shadow Storage can't maintain their temperature while in there." Checking one of the bottom racks, Dark moved a few items away and sighed in relief. "Thank Celestia. At least he didn't find the backups that I made."

"You made backups?" Spike questioned. "Why?"

"I made them just incase you saw the originals and decided to eat them as a midnight snack. Although, I suppose I should apologize to you for not trusting you in the first place."

"Actually, Dark, I didn't even know about them until you told me. And to be honest, if I did see them, I might've been tempted to try out one or two of them."

Dark chuckled. "If you did eat one of them, you probably wouldn't be able to help yourself. Not out of greed or gluttony, though, but simply because of how good they are."

"Seriously?"

"Hey, if you don't believe me, then go ahead and try one."

"You sure about that?"

"I doubt that Twilight would mind one missing strawberry. And besides, I made two dozen backups."

Grabbing one of the chocolate-covered strawberries with his magic, Dark brought it over for Spike to eat. With the last of the ingredients for Twilight's breakfast in his magical hold, Dark closed the refrigerator door and brought the ingredients over to the counter. As he sat them down, he watched as Spike looked over the snack and plopped it in his mouth. Moments later, he chuckled as he saw Spike closed his eyes and began humming in bliss of the chocolaty strawberry before swallowing it.

"You're right, that was good," Spike happily said. "You think that I could get another?"

"Eenope," Dark smirk, mixing the ingredients into a bowl and prepping the stove and frying pan. "And you just proved my point too."

Thinking about it for a moment, Spike nodded in agreement. "I suppose I did, but can you blame me? That strawberry was great! You even removed the leaves and core."

"Most ponies don't like the core, so that's why I cut it out. By the way, you know that I'm making breakfast-in-bed for Twilight, so out of curiosity, what are your plans for you and the Crusaders for today?"

"We're going to be meeting up at their clubhouse where I'll be giving them their Hearts and Hooves Day gifts. After that, I was thinking about a walk in the park before breaking for a picnic over by the gazeebo where I'll then give them each a rose that I picked out for them. After that, I was thinking about taking them to Sugarcube Corner for dinner before watching the sun set over Sweet Apple Acres."

"Sounds like a good plan to me."

"And what about you, Dark?" Spike asked. "Like you said, I know that you're making breakfast-in-bed for Twilight, but what about after that?"

"Like you, I was thinking about having a picnic with her for lunch. But, unlike yours at the gazeebo, ours would be on the hill where we had our first date at."

"You mean the hill where you and Shining fought at?"

"Yep."

"Nice. So then, what about after that?"

"... umm... wing it?"

Spike arched an eyebrow. "Really? You didn't plan it all out?"

"Cut me some slack here, buddy. This is the first time that I actually get to celebrate Hearts and Hooves Day with somepony special to me."

"Okay, fair enough," Spike relented. "But you should still try to think of something for after that."

"I know," Dark sighed. "Celestia knows that she deserves it. Now that I think about it, I probably should've tried to reserve a table for us at that one restaurant."

"While it's a good idea, I doubt that you would've been able to get one. The ponies of this town usually get a reservation for that place weeks before Hearts and Hooves Day comes around."

"Alright, in that case, I'll just ask her what she wants to do then. Can't go wrong with that."

"I guess not," Spike slowly agreed.

Turning back to his cooking, Dark stood up and, with his spatula, flipped another pair of pancakes off of the pan before pouring two more from the batter he made.

"So, how are you feeling after yesterday?" he asked Spike.

"A little sore, but I'm good for the most part," Spike answered. "I'm still surprised that I'm getting to learn how to control my fire breath. And by the Lord of Fire no less."

"Yeah. It's good to have another teacher. Don't get me wrong now, Nocturne is a good teacher for my death magic, but it's nice to have Pyre helping with my fire magic."

"Yeah, but you wanna know the best part, though?"

"What is it?"

Spike smirked. "That once you marry Twilight, you and the other Scaleless Dragons will be my siblings-in-law."

Hearing his reason, Dark momentarily felt his legs give out on him, forcing him to plant his claw down to hold himself up."

"Isn't it a bit early to be thinking about that, Spike?" Dark calmly asked, despite his heart being anything but. "And besides, I'm sure that I'll be getting enough questions like that the next time I see Twilight's mom."

"Yeah, I suppose she would," he shrugged, "but that doesn't mean that I won't tease you about it."

Glad to have somewhat ended that topic, Dark stood back up on his hooves and looked over to the frying pan. Unfortunately for him, though, he found that the thing that he placed his claw on wasn't the countertop, but the frying pan, and by extent, the half-baked pancakes. Giving a small headshake, Dark lifted his claw out of the frying pan with the pancakes still attached to him before plopping them into his mouth.

"Guess that'll be my breakfast for today," he said to himself before pouring another batch.

A few minutes later, Dark had a plateful of buttered pancakes and syrup. Leaving them on the table, Dark went on over to get some utensils and the chocolate-covered strawberries while Spike looked over what he made for Twilight.

"Really, Dark?" Spike questioned. "Isn't this thing a little overdone?"

"What's so wrong about what I did with them?" Dark returned.

"You shaped the pancakes into hearts, that's what. I don't know about you, but isn't that a little cliché?"

"On Hearts and Hooves Day, I think that it's almost warranted."

"Meh, if you say so." Spike looked over to the clock on the wall. "Well, guess I better get going. Have a good Hearts and Hooves Day with Twilight. Oh, and good luck."

"Hehehe, you too, buddy."

With a wave, the two split up with Dark finishing preparations for his Hearts and Hooves Day surprise, while Spike went up to his room to get everything he needed for the day.


Back up in their bedroom, Twilight was still sleeping peacefully in their bed, unknowing of Dark's absence. That is, until she moved a forehoof that didn't touch anything and then noticed a lack of body heat from her coltfriend. Half-asleep and wondering where he could be, Twilight was about to get up and look for him before feeling a familiar pair of lips on her forehead. Breathing a sigh of content, Twilight cracked her eyes open to see Dark smiling down at her with a claw caressing her cheek.

"Good morning, sweetheart," Dark whispered.

"Good morning to you too, hon," Twilight returned with a small blush.

His eyes turning softer from her words, Dark leaned down until his lips met Twilights. A few seconds after kissing her, Dark heard Twilight moan before feeling her forelegs wrap around the back of his head and pull him in to deepen their kiss. Deciding to follow her, Dark wrapped his arms around Twilight's back and held her close to him as the two continued to show their affections to one another. A few minutes later, Dark broke their kiss, earning him a dissatisfied pout from Twilight that caused him to chuckle lightly and plant another kiss on her forehead.

"Happy Hearts and Hooves Day," he said once his lips left her forehead.

"Happy Hearts and Hooves Day to you too," Twilight returned with a giggle. "Wow. That sure came around quickly."

"I know what you mean. Took me a moment to remember it was already here too." Sitting himself down beside Twilight, Dark looked over to the nightstand where two sets of plates laid. Feeling Twilight adjust herself and snuggle up against him, Dark used his magic to bring the plate of heart-shaped pancakes around for Twilight. "Here you go, Twilight. A little something to get your day started."

Smiling at the heart-shaped pancakes hovering in front of her, Twilight sat up and leaned up against Dark before giving him a thankful kiss on the cheek and nuzzling him.

"Thank you, Dark," Twilight thanked. "This is really sweet of you."

"You're welcome, Twilight," Dark returned with a nuzzle. "After all, you're the most important mare in my life, so you more than deserve it."

Giving him another kiss, Twilight took the plate of pancakes from Dark's magic and sat them on her lap for her to eat. Cutting into the heart-shaped pancakes, Twilight took a big forkful of it and gave a blissful moan as she tasted it.

Chuckling lightly at how much she was enjoying her breakfast, Dark continued to watch as Twilight began working on her small tower of pancakes. Once she was about half way done, Dark remembered something that he'd almost missed and subtly reached his tail into his Shadow Storage for a few seconds before retracting his tail with it gently curled around a bouquet of purple roses. Turning his attention away from the roses and back to Twilight, Dark tried to suppress a chuckle as he saw her cheeks bulging with stuffed pancakes.

"Easy there, Twilight," he snickered. "Try not to eat them too quickly or else you'll feel too full for desert."

"Hmm?" Twilight said through a mouthful of pancakes. After a moment of chewing them down and swallowing them a bit at a time, Twilight was free to speak clearly again. "What did you have in mind?"

"Oh, nothing much," he smirked before bringing the second plate around for Twilight to see, "just some chocolate-covered strawberries with white-chocolate drizzle that I made."

Snapping her attention away from the last of her pancakes, Twilight looked at the plateful of chocolate-covered strawberries. As she looked over how many of them there were and smelled the combination of chocolates and strawberry, a small dribble of drool escaped from the corner of her open mouth. Feeling it starting to run down the side of her chin, Twilight quickly licked it back up without Dark noticing.

"This looks delicious, Dark," Twilight said with a hint of surprise. "Did you really make this?"

"I had to buy the strawberries and chocolates, but other than that, yeah, I did," he answered with a small blush. "It's actually really easy to do. Oh, and I got these for you too."

Curious as to what else Dark had for her, Twilight watched him bring his tail around, holding a bouquet of purple roses in it. Seeing what he was referring to, Twilight felt the air catch in her throat as he brought the roses around for her. Taking the roses with her magic, Twilight brought them over to her and held them tenderly against her with her forelegs.

"These are beautiful," she whispered, feeling her eyes starting to water up from the gifts of affection she was being given.

"You're welcome, Twili-mmph!"

Dark was interrupted when Twilight pounced him, knocking him onto his back before she started kissing him. Despite it being sudden for him, he quickly collected himself and began to return the gesture in full. A few seconds later, he felt Twilight pull away and saw some of the happy tears that had escaped her eyes.

"Really, Dark, thank you so much for this," she thanked, prompting Dark to use a claw to wipe her face clear of her tears. "Nopony has ever done anything so sweet for me like what you've done here. You don't know how happy this makes me feel."

"Maybe not," he said with his claw cupping her cheek and her leaning into it, "but I might have an idea."

Setting the two plates and roses off to the side, Twilight wrapped her forelegs around Dark's chest and snuggled down against him. Nuzzling her head into the crook of his neck, she felt Dark's arms wrap around her in a hug. Smiling at the happiness that she'd been given within her short time of being awake, and feeling the comfort of Dark stroking her mane and back, Twilight wondered how this day could get any better.

"I take it that you have something else planned for today?" she murmured.

"I was thinking about us having a picnic over on the hill where he had our first date at," Dark answered her. "After that... well... I didn't exactly have many ideas. Guess I'll leave it up to you what you want us to do from there."

Thinking about it for a few moments, Twilight had an idea of what she'd like to do. But, before she asked him, she wanted to know something first.

"So, it's my choice then?"

"Yep."

"And it can be whatever I want?"

Dark chuckled. "Yes. Whatever you want to do, we'll do it."

Shifting around a little bit, Twilight looked up to meet Dark's gaze. "Could we perhaps sit by the fireplace and read a book together like we did during the fall and winter seasons?"

Giving her a soft smile, Dark leaned forward and gave her a peck on her muzzle.

"If that's what you want, then I'll be happy to do it with you."

With a content sigh, Twilight returned to her previous snuggling position and giggled.

"Kinda feels like you're spoiling me."

"That's because you're worth it. And if you think I'm spoiling you now, just wait until tonight after I run you a candlelit bubble bath and give you a hoof massage."


A few hours later at the Crusader's clubhouse, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo were all waiting for Spike to show up so that they could finally begin their Hearts and Hooves Day together. As they waited for him, they each looked at the Hearts and Hooves Day present that they as a group got for him.

"Do y'all think he'll like it?" Apple Bloom asked.

"He should," Scootaloo replied. "He likes to eat these things after all."

"I hope he does," Sweetie Belle added. "We spent all weekend trying to get these. Not to mention what we had done to them."

"Good thing we found extras to give to her in exchange for her help and silence."

"Exchange for who's help and silence?"

Jumping in surprise from the unexpected voice, the three fillies looked over towards the open door to see Spike standing there looking at them curiously. Not wasting any time, they each ran over to Spike, tackled him to the floorboards, and took turns giving him a welcoming kiss on the lips.

"Happy Hearts and Hooves Day, Spike," they said in unison.

"Hey, Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo," Spike returned with a smile. "How are my three favorite girls doing?"

"Better now that you're here," Sweetie Belle answered with a nuzzle.

"We've been lookin' forward ta this day for a while now," Apple Bloom said.

"Yeah, what they said," Scootaloo replied with a blush.

Chuckling, Spike did his best to wrap his three fillyfriends in his arms for a hug. As he laid there with them cuddled against his sides and on top of him, he remembered one of the reasons why he came to the clubhouse to meet them. Motioning for them to let him go for a moment, Spike walked around the corner of the doorway before returning with three wrapped boxes of varying sizes.

"Here, these are for you," Spike said as he handed them over. "Hope you like them."

Taking their gifts into their hooves, they motioned for Spike to follow them and sat down over by the boxed gift they got for him. Motioning for him to sit, the Crusaders watched as they waited for Spike to open his gift, only to see him eyeing it.

"Something wrong, Spike?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Huh? Oh, no, nothings wrong," he replied. "Just thought that I'd wait until you three opened your gifts. After all, lady's first, right?"

While Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle found it gentlecoltly and voiced it with an "Awww", Scootaloo was a little more reserved as she simply thanked him. With his blessing, they each took turns in opening their respective gifts. After a quick discussion for the order of who would go first, it was decided that it would be Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, and then Sweetie Belle.

With a little hoof pump, Scootaloo wasted no time in opening her gift. Despite the size of the box, though, it was a little lighter than what she'd expected it to be. Peeling off the last of the wrapping paper, she pulled on the string that magically held the cardboard box together and looked in glee as she saw her new orange and purple scooter and matching helmet, both emblazoned with her cutie mark.

"I noticed that your old one was pretty banged up, so I thought that you'd like a new one," Spike began to explain. "The wheels are made for all-terrain, so you can use it in the grass or in light-snow, and it would be like riding it on the dirt road. Everything else on it is reinforced, so it should be more durable. Plus, I also had a hitch installed onto the back, since you'll sometimes pull the rest of us in that red wagon."

Normally, Scootaloo isn't one for showing her feelings and acting affectionate unless it's at the same time as Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. However, at this moment, she surprised everyone in the clubhouse as she ran over to Spike, and gave him a hug and kiss.

"This is the most awesome give I've ever gotten, Spike!" Scootaloo beamed. "Thank you so much for this!"

"Hehe, you're welcome, Scoots," Spike returned. I wonder if this is going to be the same reaction with Sweetie and Apple Bloom?

Releasing Spike, Scootaloo returned to her spot beside her new scooter and waited for the next gift to be opened.

"Guess it's my turn," Apple Bloom said.

"Just be careful," Spike warned. "Yours is pretty fragile."

Giving him a curious look, Apple Bloom cautiously began unraveling her gift. The wrapping wasn't as complex as Scootaloo's, though, as the entire thing was held together by a string at the top. Pulling on the string, Apple Bloom folded back the wrapping paper to see a complete set of beakers, a mortar, and some plants.

"I remember how during your Twilight Time that you would work on making potions," Spike began. "And after that, you and the girls talked a few times about how you still like to go to Zecora's place to work on experimenting and making them."

"Thanks, Spike," Apple Bloom thanked before walking over and giving him a thankful kiss. "This is great. Ah'll be able ta do my own potion making now and hopefully make a potion ta help with growin' better apple trees."

"Just make sure that you don't accidentally blow anything up," Scootaloo joked, earning a small giggle from Sweetie Belle and chuckle from Spike.

"Don't worry about it. Ah've gotten a lot better with my potions and haven't had any accidents like that for almost over a year now."

"That's good to hear," Spike said before looking over to Sweetie Belle. "Alright, Sweetie, it's your turn."

Giving him a small smile, Sweetie Belle looked down to her gift. While it wasn't as big as the others, she was no less happy for whatever it is that she would receive. Unwrapping the bow holding the lid down, she removed the lid of the colorful box and, to her confusion, saw a microphone in it.

"A microphone?" she questioned. "What for?"

"I've heard your singing, Sweetie," Spike started saying. "And while I find it beautiful, I know that you've been wanting to improve on it, so I've found somepony to help teach you how to sing better. That is, if you're willing to try it."

"That's awful sweet of you to do, Spike. Of course I will, but who did you get?"

Spike gave a proud, triumphant smile. "From what I've heard, you've actually already met her. She should be coming here to visit in a few weeks after her tour ends."

"Her tour?" Scootaloo questioned. "Who are you talking about?"

"You're not talking about Sapphire Shores, are you?!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed.

Spike folded his arms. "And if I am?"

For a moment, Sweetie Belle just stood there, frozen in place as she tried to process this. When she finally snapped out of it, she ran over to Spike and tackled him to the floor in a hug. But, before she gave him a chance to recover from the loving hit, Sweetie Belle planted a kiss on Spike's lips.

And that makes me three for three, Spike thought while mentally smirking in success.

"How did you manage to get Sapphire Shores to do this?!" Sweetie Belle squeaked.

"It wasn't that hard, really," Spike shrugged. "I sent her a letter telling her about a beautiful filly who likes to sing and asked if she would be willing to help her when she came over to Ponyville. Although, I may have added in it that you're Rarity's sister, so that might have something to do with why she agreed to it."

"Still, though, this is so exciting! I can't believe that you were able to do this for me!"

Feeling another wave of joy, Sweetie Belle began to pepper Spike's face with kisses.

"Come on, Sweetie," Scootaloo complained. "We get that you're super excited about this, but Spike still has his own Hearts and Hooves Day gift to open."

Blinking a few times, Sweetie remembered the present that they got for him and gave him one last peck before hopping off of him and returning back to her spot.

"Okay," Spike groaned as he got back up and returned to his spot. "So, what do we have here?"

"You'll just have ta open it and find out," Apple Bloom said with a giggle.

Giving a small shrug, Spike tore off the paper taped to it and opened the lid. One he did, his eyes shimmered and began to drool over the boxful of heart-shaped gems it contained. Shaking his head clear, Spike picked one of the gems up and began to examine it.

After what I said to Dark about heart-shaped things on Hearts and Hooves Day being cliché, if he finds out about these, then I'll never hear the end it of, he mentally sighed.

"Umm, Spike?"

Hearing his name, Spike's attention was brought back to see his three fillyfriends looking at him worryingly.

"Is it alright?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"We thought that you would like it since you like to eat gems," Scootaloo said.

"Is it not what you hoped for?" Apple Bloom asked sadly. "If so, then we're sorry that-"

"What?! No! Of course I like it!" Spike quickly said, frantically waving his claws. "I love it, girls. It's just that I didn't expect a whole box of them is all. That, and this'll easily last me for a few weeks. I am curious, though, as to how you managed to get them all shaped like this."

"That was easy, actually," Sweetie Belle began answering, her mood better knowing that Spike likes his gift. "Rarity was happy to help with it in exchange for the extras we had and leftover shavings. I think she was going to try them out on a new dress of hers."

"Still, though, this is great, girls." Spike slid the box aside and pulled the Crusaders into a hug. "Thank you for this. Happy Hearts and Hooves Day."

"Happy Hearts and Hooves Day to you too, Spike," they returned in unison.

After a few minutes of remaining in their hug, they broke apart and grabbed each of their respective gifts.

"Before we start the rest of the day off," Spike began to suggest, "why don't we get our gifts home? Especially yours, Apple Bloom. Don't want for you to carry it around all day and for it to accidentally get broken."

"Ah suppose so," she nodded.

"In that case, why don't we try this baby out?!" Scootaloo told them. "I parked my old scooter and the wagon beneath the clubhouse. I can give us all a lift and have us back to our Hearts and Hooves Day in ten minutes flat."

"Isn't that suppose to be Rainbow Dash's line?" Sweetie Belle questioned.

"Nah. Hers is ten seconds. I say ten minutes because I can't fly that fast or for that long yet."

"Fair enough," Spike shrugged. "Anyway, let's get going. I was hoping we could all go on a walk through the park before it gets too close to lunch time. Besides, I have a spot picked out and a picnic basket with our names on it."

Watching them cheer and pick up their gifts, Spike chuckled as his fillyfriends ran out of the clubhouse and down the ramp. Letting out a contentful sigh, Spike reached down for his box of gems and held it out in front of him as he followed after them. He would've grabbed the picnic basked that he'd brought with him, but noticed that it was already sitting in the wagon with the fillies. Figuring that one of them had brought it down for him, Spike closed the door behind him and made his way carefully down the ramp. As he did, though, he took another look at the box he was holding in his claws and cocked his head in confusion.

That's weird, he thought, arching an eyebrow, I could've sworn that the box looked a little bigger just a moment ago... meh, must've imagined it or something.


Just as Scootaloo had told them, it took her ten minutes for her to get everyone back to their respective homes to drop their gifts off. This also included her scooter as they agreed that it would be better for them to walk together instead of having Scootaloo do all of the work herself. That, and it would allow for them to take their time and spend more time together.

As they made their way through the park with Spike holding the picnic basket, they walked in mutual silence, simply enjoying the company. Along the way, they saw plenty of couples either cuddling up on the benches, on a picnic blanket, under one of the trees, or over by the picnic tables. Some of the couples that they'd noticed were Lyra and Bon Bon, Derpy Hooves and Time Turner, and Vinyl Scratch and Octavia. They were even able to make out the figures of Dark and Twilight under a tree on one of the hills off in the distance.

However, probably the most surprising couple that they saw were Diamond Tiara and Pipsqueak. The Crusaders knew that they've been getting along well together after the election for Class President since Pipsqueak would go to her for advice, but they never would've guessed that there was something more between them. Deciding to stay clear and let them be, Spike and the Crusaders made their way through the rest of the park before making their way over to their picnic spot.

"So, are you girls hungry?" Spike asked them, the gazeebo just about to come into view.

"You bet I am!" Scootaloo exclaimed.

"Yeah," Sweetie Belle nodded. "I could go for something to eat pretty soon too."

Apple Bloom smiled at the thought of food and walked on ahead.

"Well then, it's a good thing that it's right over- EVERYPONY GET DOWN!"

Without any time to react to her frantic whisper, Spike, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo were dragged down by Apple Bloom into a nearby bush.

"Apple Bloom-"

Apple Bloom silenced Spike with a hoof before pointing with her other hoof and whispering, "Shhh! Look!"

Quietly moving a branch off to the side to get a peek at what she was referring to, they were greeted with a sight that they'd thought would never had happened.

"Is- isn't that your brother, Big Macintosh?" Scootaloo questioned, her eyes darting over to Apple Bloom.

"And who's that with him?" Sweetie Belle wondered.

"Ah can't believe it," Apple Bloom whispered in disbelief.

"Who is it, Apple Bloom?" Spike asked, trying to get a better look at Big Mac's date.

"It's Miss Cheerilee!"

Sweetie Belles' and Scootaloo's eyes snapped wide open. "What?!"

"Shhh! Keep it down!" Apple Bloom harshly whispered. "Ah don't want them ta see us!"

"How did this happen?!" Scootaloo quietly shouted in confusion. "When did this happen?!"

"I don't know for sure, Scootaloo," Sweetie Belle began, "but I guess that they just decided to get together, even despite our failed attempt to help them."

"It happened a few years ago," Spike shrugged. "I'd say that that's plenty of time for them to get over it."

The Crusaders looked at Spike in surprise.

"How'd you know that?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Because after you three gave them the love poison, Twilight hid the book away, and when I went to find it to put it back in its spot, she told me what happened to Big Mac and Miss Cheerilee." Giving him an understanding nod, they turned their attention back to the couple. After a few minutes of watching them and listening to them talk and laugh, Spike nudged them to get their attention. "I think that we've stayed long enough. Let's leave them be and find another spot for our picnic.

Getting a silent round of nods, Spike and the Crusaders quietly left the cover of the bush they were hiding in and snuck away. As they left, they each smiled at how they were able to get together in the end and wished that their Hearts and Hooves Day picnic went well for them. However, had they'd stayed to watch a few minutes later, they would've seen an apple pie floating out of the picnic basket before splattering all over Big Mac's face.


A few minutes later, over near the borders of the Everfree Forest, Fluttershy and Discord were having a Hearts and Hooves Day picnic date of their own. Thanks to Discord's chaotic magic, not only was he able to have everything set for them, but also made a flowery meadow sprout up all around them, causing Fluttershy's eyes to widen as she looked at the field of numerous flowers. Not only that, but he'd also managed to sprout a few cherry blossom tress around them for added beauty, and to provide them with some shade.

"Discord, this is beautiful!" Fluttershy gasped as she marveled at their surroundings that Discord had made for them.

"Not as beautiful as you, my dear," Discord complimented.

"Awww. Thank you, Discord," she said with a thankful kiss on his cheek. "That was really sweet of you."

Giving a light-chuckle, Discord motioned with a claw towards the picnic blanket.

Taking her spot on the blanket, Fluttershy began to relax before feeling Discord sliding up around her and resting down on the blanket too. Familiar with what he was doing for her, Fluttershy gave him a smile before leaning back against Discord's midsection like a backrest.

"All comfy back there?" Discord asked, getting a content sigh and nod from Fluttershy. "Good. Now then, what would you like first?"

Looking over the selection of food before her, Fluttershy hummed to herself as she began thinking over what she wanted to start with.

"There's so many to choose from," she said. "Oh, I wish I could pick all of them. They all look so good." Taking another look at what there was to eat, her eyes settled on a juicy red apple. Licking her lips, Fluttershy transformed into Flutterbat, launched her tongue around the apple, and retracted it back into her mouth for her fangs to sink into it.

"Well, that's one way to do it," Discord chuckled, earning him an embarrassed blush from Fluttershy for her sudden actions.

"S-sorry about that."

"No need to apologize, Fluttershy. I actually found it to be rather amusing how eager you were."

Giving him a small smile, Fluttershy resumed draining her apple of its juices. Once she was done, she held it in a hoof where Discord used his magic to poof it away into the Everfree Forest. Her appetite now kicking in from the apple, Fluttershy reached a hoof over for a daffodil and daisy sandwich sitting off to the side while Discord poured her a cup of apple juice, both of which she made quick work of before turning her attention towards one of several pies sitting out.

"My goodness, Fluttershy, you seem to have quite the appetite today," Discord said surprisingly.

Pausing for a moment, Fluttershy wiped some of the food from her mouth.

"I'm sorry, Discord," she apologized, "but I just seem to be really hungry today. Do you think it could be because I'm in my bat pony form?"

"Can't say," he shrugged. "We've never really tried anything when you're like this."

Giving a small hum in thought, Fluttershy finished off the last of the pie before turning her attention towards the apple pie. Before she could go for it, though, she saw it floating off of the picnic blanket. Figuring that Discord was being thoughtful of her, Fluttershy started to reach out for it before it flew off to the side and hit Discord directly in the face.

"Um, Discord? I know that you don't like to make sense very much at times, but why did you just throw a pie at your own face?" Fluttershy asked curiously.

"This wasn't me," he said bewilderedly. "Somepony else must've done it."

"But it's just us here."

Looking around, Discord indeed saw that they were alone. As he continued to look around, he soon heard the muffled laughter of what sounded like a young colt. Furrowing his brows from being what he considered to be a prank during his and Fluttershy's Hearts and Hooves Day picnic, Discord floated around to look for the little runt. However, even though he looked through the surrounding flowers and trees, he still couldn't find the source of the muffled laughter.

"Okay you little runt," Discord spoke in annoyance, "you show yourself right now, or else when I find you, I'm going to turn you into a doll that's meant for young fillies to play with!" Hearing the sounds suddenly stop, Discord figured that he'd scarred who or whatever that was away. Taking his place back down beside Fluttershy, Discord saw the disapproving look she was giving him. "What?"

"Was that really necessary?" she half-scolded.

"Considering that he was interrupting our special day together, I'd say that he-GAAAHH! He got it in my eyes!"

Despite Discord's eyes stinging from the blueberry pie that was thrown at him, Fluttershy still giggled at him with a fanged smile while Discord's prankster stealthily snuck away. Getting over her giggling, she looked over Discord as he flailed his arms about with his face covered in blueberry pie.

It would be a shame for such a good pie to go to waste, she thought before forming an idea. Well, I suppose it wouldn't hurt. I'll just have to be careful not to bite him on accident while eating it off of him.


Later that evening, Dark was relaxing on one of the couches in the lounge while Twilight was enjoying her relaxing, candlelit bubble bath. As he recalled the mostly-peaceful day that they've had, the lounge doors opened up to reveal Spike with a box in his claws. Remaining as he lay, Dark gave him a smile and wave.

"Hey, Spike," he greeted him. "How'd your Hearts and Hooves Day go?"

"Pretty sweet," Spike answered with a smile. "The girls got me this box of gems. How did things go for you and Twilight? Think of anything to do after your picnic?"

"Yeah. Twilight asked if we could read a book by the fireplace. It was pretty relaxing after what happened to me."

"What happened?"

"Somehow, the pie that I packed for us hovered up out of our picnic basket and hit me square in the face. I managed to get a shower after we got back, but I swear that I feel like I missed some of it. If I had to take a guess as to who is responsible, though, I'd have to say it was Discord."

"Huh. Well, that's interesting, and it sounds like something he might do." Spike paused as he stretched his arms out and gave a loud yawn. "Sorry about that. I'm a bit tired right now, so if you don't mind, I'm just gonna head on off to bed. Goodnight, Dark."

"Goodnight, Spike," Dark returned, watching as Spike left. After he was out of the room, Dark ran a claw through his mane and picked out a few of the pie crumbs that he'd missed. "I'm gonna have to have a talk with Discord tomorrow about that stunt with the pie."

PreviousChapters Next