• Published 4th Oct 2015
  • 384 Views, 3 Comments

Jongoji245's The Return of Tambelon - Jongoji245



500 years have passed, and the City of Shadows is looking once again for prized fighters

  • ...
 3
 384

Chapter 2 (New Timeline): Through the Wolf's Den

With a quick burst from the thrusters, the Galgameth flew across the sky, disturbing a few flocks of flying geese along the way. But while on the outside, everything seemed fine, inside was a little more troubling. Like a dog in a moving van, Cosgrove shuffled about in the organic interior while Cogsworth leaned forward and back as he was constantly nudged.

“How is it that you are able to even breath in here?” Asked Cosgrove before laying his belly on the gooey floor.

“Well, the cables connect my respiratory system to the ventilation and exhaust shafts.” Cogsworth moved his head around - “Call it my gills so to speak.”

Cosgrove had a rather disgustful yet regretful look on his face. “They really did you wrong, haven’t they.”

Cogsworth furrowed a brow when he noticed the scanner beeping. “We’re here.”

The Galgameth soared over a mountain pass to find the ancient city for the first time in 500 years. Much has changed to it from being in both Equestria and the Shadow World; the walls have become cracked, the once bright colors of the building walls and architecture have since eroded. Several of its famed bell towers have been destroyed: one remained, but did not contain a bell at all. It was merely a shell of it’s former self.

“Let’s make this a formal entrance.” Cogsworth added before guiding the machine forward.

The guards at the ramparts looked as the machine flew over them. Grogar and Bray also took notice of this and walked over to the balcony entrance just when the machine landed before them.

“How dare you enter the royal chambers of Grogar!” - the donkey looked to his Lord - “Master, show him your wrath!”

“I can make my own decisions, Pony!” Grogar kicked Bray aside before turning his head to the machine.

Watching the massive Ram approach them, Cogsworth switched off communications. His visage soon became very up close to the visual screen.

“My, how technology has improved.” He chuckled before beginning to walk around the Galgameth, taking notice of the animalistic features of an otherwise mechanical siege vehicle “You appear to be of that of Changeling origin. But you seem to not follow my movements so you must be a machine.”

He stops back in front of the machine, drawing a smile on his tooth laced mug.

“I understand therefore that riches, food, or virgins mean nothing to you. But indulge me in this tournament and I will remember you with the highest honors.” Grogar looked behind him to see his lackey recovering from the kick “Bray, please escort my last minute contestant to his cell.”

Bray shuffled back to his feet, shaking his head hysterically before running up to the machine and began pushing it. The Galgameth soon lifted a leg and stepped forward, causing the donkey to fall on the ground. Cogsworth dared not to pivot the head and waist should Grogar become suspicious. Bray looked up before being blasted in the rear by Grogar. Panicked he grabbed an arm and guided the robot out of the room. The Lord of Tambelon chuckled before looking forward to the horizon, his new kingdom soon to be his.

Bray lead the mech downstairs to a deep, dark dungeon.

“Trog!” He beckoned, stirring a brown mountain goat from his sleep “Take our esteemed guest over to a cell!”

“As you wish, Bray.” The goat bowed his head before taking the Galgameth even further down the dungeons. As they walked, the ram turned his head around - “ You're the one some of the other prisoners have talked about, are you?”

Hearing that through interior audio sensors, the two colts looked at each other, worried that their cover has been blown.

“Do not worry, I am not one of Grogar’s.” Trog lead them to their cell, pushing them inside - “When it is time, you will know.”

As he walked away, the two passengers sighed with relief. Ejecting from the cockpit, Cosgrove stretched his legs, popping each of his joints, before turning to the mechanic.

“Can you scan the room to see if the others are here?”

Closing the hatch, Cogsworth activated a scanning ray that stretched across the hall before pivoting the waist of the machine, bringing the ray across the dingy environment before returning to its default position.

“I can't seem to get much of a bead.” Cogsworth answered. “but I do seem to see two Ponies in another dungeon across from here.”

“I'll have to sneak out during the night.” The Hipparion responded before hearing the sound of a door opening, prompting him to enter back into the machine.

Two additional guards walked up to their cell, holding a bowl of gruel.

“Well, machines have to eat too, don't you?” Said one of them before turning to the other.

“Yeah, don't want to run out of oil, now!” The goat laughed before tossing the bowl at the head of the Galgameth, splattering the food all over. The two continued to laugh as they ran out of the dungeon.

“Better get some sleep,” Cosgrove laid down “best be prepared for whatever is coming to us.”

As soon as the Hipparion closed his eyes, back over at the Tree of Harmony, Sunset opened hers wide open before trotting back to the Cutie Map.

“I know where he is now!” She said to the Elements before pointing to the mountains.

“Ah yeah!” - Rainbow Dash circled the air before stretching her arms - “Time for them to taste the rainbow!”

As Night descended over the mountains, the Galgameth ejects Cosgrove. Lifting him up to the window of the arena, the Hipparion laid a few ounces of gunpowder around the rusty bars. Striking his hooves, the bar popped out of the socket. Squeezing his way through the bars, the young stallion trotted around the rim of the arena.

“Chelsey?” He asked when he looked down one hole, finding it empty, he moved to the next one “Zipper?” Looking down the hole he pulled back as a leonine paw swung at him with a roar.

“Kid? Is that you?” A voice called Cosgrove a few additional holes down. Looking inside, it was Hooflock, now deprived of his armor looking up at him with somewhat angered eyes “What are you doing here?”

“Rescuing you and the others.” - Cosgrove answered before looking around the dark cell - “Have you seen them?”

“They are in a few cells down from me.” - The Royal Guard looked behind to the sound of a raging wind rushing throughout the cell - “The Sleipnir is a bit panicky.”

“Here,” Cosgrove handed him the bag of gunpowder “when we are ready, light it at the base of the bars.”

Noticing the sky becoming more violet, he realized that the sun is rising before starting to walk away.

“Hey,” Hooflock beckoned the Hipparion to attention “was it really smart of you to come here?”

“I still followed Sunset's third rule, to bring help.” He answered

Hooflock nodded, “I'll try to take care of them the best I can.”

As Cosgrove trotted away, a thought rushed through his head “But I did break her second and fourth.”

After running back inside his cell and replacing the bar, Cosgrove jumped into the Galgameth, just before the sun rose well over the arena and two of the guards walked to their cell with a toothy grin on their muzzles.

“Showtime.”

The machine was guided to the bars leading to the outside of the arena, where hundreds of thousands of mangy goats roared over their prologue battle. A chimera and a manticore were fighting each other to the death. The manticore would have an easy advantage if it didn't have its wings clipped. The snake tail subdued the mixed part lion while the smilodon head clenched deep into its mane. The manticore became limp in a short moment. Dropping its fallen opponent, the chimera roared into the sky to the cheering crowd.

Sitting on a grand throne shaded from the light, Grogar brought to their attention with a wave of his hooves.

“My faithful subjects, welcome to the this now one millennia arena!” - He greeted in a voice akin to the Royal Canterlot voice - “This time, I guarantee that this tournament will bring the advancement of technology from the outside world. And to demonstrate, we shall see what had been conflicting for centuries: the machine” - the bars open up, allowing the Galgameth to enter the bright, sandy arena - “versus the beast!!”

The Chimera turned her torso to the machine and started bounding towards them. Cogsworth drew his ears back. Applebloom wasn’t kidding that her encounter with a chimera was quite scary, now that the beast’s true size became more noticeable. Despite the Galgameth’s larger size, it didn't matter if the smaller being played its cards right. Just when Cogsworth positioned a blaster, the Chimera jumped onto them, baring its saber teeth as it opened its jaws so wide, Cogsworth could see the feline’s tonsils.

The snake tail lashed out, but even if venomous, snake teeth are no match for metal.

“Ow!” The snake hissed as she licked her broken teeth.

“Ma-a-aa-mm always told you to eat softer foods.” Said the goat head.

The feline front half kept scratching at the armor, trying to find a few kinks into could tear into.

“Alright,” Cogsworth flicked a switch, lighting up the optics of the machine - “that does it!”

The feline head noticed the bright lights too late as they fired onto it, leaving it without a head on the shoulders. The front body staggered back. The goat and snake heads, losing so much blood from their body mate, fainted and soon ran out of breath.

The crowd was silent, nothing like that ever occurred before.

“Boo!” One of them jeered

“That was too quick a battle!” Added another as the rest of the audience jeered at them. Inside, Cosgrove can hear a faint echo of the jeering.

“As Rarity would say, ‘so uncivilized.’” He said in a tone like a fashionista.

Grogar, hearing the increased cheering, rose up from his chair.

“You have spoken, my people! Bring out more entertainment!”

Eight soldiers charged out of the arena and surrounded the two. This would get pretty bloody, but Cogsworth had a way of dealing with riots. He had the machine switch arms to what appears to be a shotgun barrel, the method of transformation raising an eyebrow from the Ram Lord. When two of the rams in the arena charged at them, the barrel fired directly at their chests, knocking them out of the battle.

“Rubber bullets, honest.” He said to his concerned partner just when a spear got lodged was lodged into one of the thrusters.

The goat responsible bounded onto the machine and took out the spear before the remaining thruster aimed at him, burning him alive.

Cosgrove began to notice that his partner was becoming more ruthless, “Cogsworth, what’s happening out there?”

“Initiate defense protocols.” He said in a monotone voice.

The Galgameth forsook its rubber bullet gun and opted for the Spazer beam, immediately making swiss cheese out of all but one of the goats, who began running towards the gates. But even the soldiers that came into the fight were not granted safety. He rammed at the bars, but not even a dent was made. The goat looked around before his eyes widened. Looking down, the Galgameth’s tail stabbed right through him before being tossed aside.

Cogsworth then set his sights on Grogar himself before switching to the Spiral Grenade, aiming it directly at Grogar. Cosgrove noticed the furious grin he never saw on his friend in a long time. He looked to the cord that connected to the back of his head before grabbing it.

“Sorry about this!” He said before pulling it out, knocking Cogsworth out cold.

But he was too late, the missile was launched directly at Grogar. Bray screamed before running off the seat. The audience became silent when the projectile exploded. When the smoke cleared after the explosion, Grogar was shown still standing, his silver bell glowing as well as his horns.

Reattaching the cable, Cogsworth became conscious. “What happened?”

The mechanic looked up to see the rather stern mug of Grogar.

With a snort, he announced, “This machine has proven itself well beyond his age. He has defeated anything we threw at him and now has tamed a beast. But fret not my people! Tomorrow we will have one that will end his and the rest of our combatants.”

“An all-in-one match:" - Grogar pointed to the remaining combatants -"Them against the Ruler of Tambelon: me.”

The crowd cheered at that fact before several additional guards escorted the machine back to the cell. When night They waited again until nightfall

“Let’s go!”

When the goat opened the door, the robot, and the goat ran through the dungeon, looking at each cell. They found an interesting array of creatures he never saw before; specimens include a red-brown Baku, a black and violet Wyvern, and a Roc. They later began hearing frantic noises too indescribable to understand by a slow wit. Following the noise, they found a constant blur running back and forth, mumbling words that at best can be described as,

“Getmeoutofhere! Igottagetoutofhere!”

The goat unlocked the cage when he was pushed back by the force of the Sleipnir as he ran away down the hall.

“He’ll be far away by now.” The goat groaned

“We’ll split up,” - Cosgrove hopped out of the cockpit and began to run - “we can cover more ground!”

Trog shook his head “He won’t stand much of a chance alone.”

“I know Cosgrove too well, he’s one tough kid.” Cogsworth added. “C’mon, let’s get the others.”

Cosgrove made his way out the dungeons. Sticking to the rooftops, he avoided the sight of the guards that would otherwise throw him back or worse interrogate the goat that helped him.

“But Master, I did not know they would be such great fighters.” a gravely voice heard from inside the building.

Leaping onto a window sill, the colt looked inside. Grogar was talking to a fire. Cosgrove couldn’t make out the image, but it appeared to be a pony. Somepony was telling him all the locations of certain combatants.

“The hunting party also captured a royal guard, perhaps he-”

“Silence pony!” - Grogar roared - “This could be one that may be won by those of your wretched kind again.” - Cosgrove leaned in further into the conversation - “This could also be the one time they would know the location of the Grand Bell! Leave me, and I may just spare you’re worthless life.”

“Y-yes Master…”

Once the donkey was out of sight, Cosgrove crept out. Hopping down an alleyway, he turned around when he bumped to a larger object. Looking up, it was a guard ram, but not the one that helped him. Display ran back down the road with the goat following him. While the Hipparion leaped over any obstacles, the ram charged through.

The mountain goat bounded in front of his prey and thwacked the colt with his hard head. Cosgrove rubbed his chest, paying good attention to his larger foe approaching him. Just as the ram rose up to stamp him, and the Hipparion drawing out a tarot card, the wall to his right burst open. The larger chunks of rubble crushed the ram. From the hole, Hooflock walked forward, this time joined by an injured, but very familiar Horse filly. The young horse looked at the ground.

"Excuse me." Chelsey said before stamping her hoof.

Cosgrove noticed are a few noticeable marks such as a cut on her left ear.

"Chelsey... You look terrible..."

"Well, you are no picnic basket yourself." Chelsey commented back before shaking off the dust from her fur - "Where is Zipper?"

Suddenly a speedy blurry knocked the larger mare to the wall. The dust cleared again, revealing Zipper cuddling with Chelsey. Chelsey yelps constantly before shoving the Sleipnir away.

"Feeling better?" Said Cosgrove

Zipper responded with a simple nod.

"Good, then follow me." Said Hooflock as he turned around.

The group of foals and goat followed her through the dark alleys. Stopping frequently at the patrolling guards, they avoided their line of sight in the shadows. Cosgrove had no clue just where the young horse was leading them. They finally stopped at a small, yet ugly, garden.

Ahead of them were Cogsworth and Trog, the latter of whom carried Diver on her back. The Merpony suffered a great deal. Aside from cuts around her entire body, a well-aimed bite mark removed part of her tail.

“Oh, Celestia…” Said Cosgrove as he examined one of his circus friends.

Cosgrove, Zipper, and Chelsey then turned their attention to the goat soldier that joined them.

“We need to find a place to patch her up?”

The goat turned the group’s attention to a smoke cloud a short walk away. A while later, Chelsey and the ram bust open the door, allowing them to enter a very elaborate potion store, one triple the size of Zecora’s hut. Zipper grabbed the Merpony and carried her to an illuminating hourglass structure.

As Diver rested on the Sleipnir’s lap, he noticed blood flowing from her limp tail.

“Sheislosingalotofblood!”

“If only Zecora were here, this would be easy to help.”

The otherwise quiet room was interrupted by the echoes of childish laughter. Cosgrove and the others looked around the hall just when the former’s shadow zipped from under him.

“I found you!” Said the shadow, giving the Hipparion a jumpscare. The shadow lightened itself into Screwball floating in mid air.

“Screwball…”

“Long time, no see, Cosgrove! Cogsworth, I could understand, but I’m surprised too that you were selected to partake in the Tambelonian Tournament.”

“I wasn’t chosen,” Cosgrove said with a groan. “I snuck in to help my friends. What are you doing here?”

The chaos filly snaked around him.

“Oh, I am a regular combatant here. In fact, I won the tournament 500 years ago.” - Screwball held up a picture of her ecstatically shaking hooves with Grogar before tossing it aside - “Wouldn’t your teacher go all” - Screwball morphed her head to match that of Sunset, albeit much more red furred - “billy beserk when you get back?”

“Don’t push it.” Said Cosgrove

“Hey, I hate to break up a conversation but can you help us?” Asked Hooflock

“Hey, my magic’s still not that powerful, if it were I wouldn’t get the invitation.” Screwball playfully landed on the floor, holding her head up with both hooves. “

Cosgrove turned to Diver, “Then I suppose healing her is against the rules.”

“I can’t break rules…” Screwball said, a long pause, before a clop of hooves joined the silent soundscape. Diver’s eyes widened as he inhaled deeply without strain. Screwball walked up to him from his left. The tail wound was covered up by accumulating flesh, though it did leave a dark bruise. Chelsey had her ear restored among other wounds - “But I can bend them…”

Screwball floated up and with a chuckle

Cosgrove looked at Trog looking out to see if there are any patrolling guards before walking over to the goat.

“Thank you… Uhhh…”

“Trog. My name is Trog.”

“Why have you helped us?”

“I am one of the few that kept our sanity each time Tambelon is sent to the darkness. Every 500 years we return to Equestria, and I watch as many of your world’s finest warriors fight to defend their home. Including Celestia.”

“I have overheard of a Grand Bell. Can that defeat Grogar… Permanently?”

“Yes.” - Answered Trog - “Problem is, nopony, not even I know-”

Trog was interrupted by Screwball’s laughter.

“Then it’s fortunate you have a Jr. Spirit of Chaos with you.”

“You know where the bell is?” said Diver

“Uh hello! I have lived for millennia, I know virtually anything.”

“Then you can show us the way!” Said Chelsey as she pointed her hoof at Screwball.
Screwball furrowed her eyebrow.

“Didn’t your parents say it is rude to point?“ the Chaos Pony asked as she moved the much larger mare’s hoof.

Cosgrove realized what she meant. Screwball wouldn't do anything without a favor in return. While the Hipparion has been in good terms with the Chaos pony, it wasn't much of a case between his friends.

Cogsworth found out an idea.

"Screwball... Remember how you said if I couldn’t complete one task?" - The statement caught Screwball’s interest - "What was that favor?"

Screwball landed on the floor and began walking slowly to the colt. Her static expression made him uneasy. When she was right at his face, Cosgrove shut his eyes. A few moments later he opened them again to find her gone. He looked around and found Cosgrove, Zipper, Chelsey, and Diver with their mouths agape. Hooflock and Trog held a straight expression.

“...What...?” Said Cogsworth with a cocked head.

Chelsey sheepishly eyed the others before shaking her head.

“Okay, we need to formulate a plan.” - Hooflock turned to Trog - “Trog, you will release the rest of the combatants from their cells, see if they are willing to help. If not, Chelsey, you will help Diver, Cogsworth, and Zipper get out safely. Cosgrove, I need you to search for the bell.”

“You mean I will lead you to the bell.” said Screwball’s disconnected voice.

Hooflock took a deep breath. “This is no cakewalk. It’s a life or death situation.”

“Just try to hold out long enough for Twilight and her friends arrive.” Cosgrove added before following Screwball to the tunnels. Chelsey lifted Diver onto her shoulders and followed Zipper and Cogsworth. Trog and Hooflock made their way back to the dungeons. The first cell he came to contained the Brobdingnag that was captured a while ago.