• Published 2nd Oct 2015
  • 1,426 Views, 17 Comments

How the Night was Lit Up - Sunset_Sparkles



There comes a time when you must make a decision that will change your life. Sunset's decision was going back to Equestria to study Magic once again. How will that affect her life? Only time knows.

  • ...
2
 17
 1,426

You're gonna WHAT?

“Once again, congratulations, students, for completing this step in your lives. All the staff at CHS is proud of you for all you have done here. It's hard to say this, but I knew this moment would come. Goodbye, students, and good luck.” With these words, Principal Celestia ended the Graduation Ceremony.

---------------------------

“I can't believe we're actually leaving CHS! I will definetely miss this place,” said Sunset. “Ever since I came to this world, I've studied here.”

“We all know, Sunset. And I can't believe it either. I mean, I knew we wouldn't study here forever, but it all happened so suddenly. One moment we're studying, and when I saw it, we were applying to college,” remarked Applejack. “But now, let's talk a bit about our future. I know I'm going to study Agronomy, but what about y'all?”

“Wait, me first!” shouted Pinkie. “I'm going to study Gastronomy. My family wanted me to study Geology, but I think I'll like this better. I always loved cooking, so it's perfect for me!”

“Well, that isn't exactly surprising. I'm going for Fashion Design. If I want to become famous, I have to work hard and begin somewhere,” said Rarity. “What about you, Fluttershy?”

“I think I'm going to try Medicine. Veterinary, more specifically. The shelter is in need of more professionals, and I thought it would be perfect for me,” said Fluttershy.

“Wow Fluttershy, you really changed. Before, you couldn't even say your name without freezing.” Rainbow Dash, now the center of attention, told them all, “Can any of you guess what I'll do?”

“Let me guess... Physical Education?”

“Nope, but good try, Twilight. I'll study Music. I know it doesn't have anything to do with sports, but since the Battle of the Bands, I discovered I love playing in a band, and want to learn even more about music. How the first musicians created it and all that. Now, since you guessed wrong, it's your turn, Twilight.”

“Well, I'm going to study Aerospace Engineering. One of the things I really liked as a kid was the space, with so many wonders to discover, so many stars, and now, I have a chance to contribute to those discoveries, and maybe someday, I'll find something big. What about you, Sunset? I don't think you ever told us anything related to that.”

“Well, about that... I'm going to study Magic... in Equestria.” Not a second later, a chorus of six voices saying 'WHAT?' could be heard from the other side of the school. “Sorry for not telling you all, it's just that... I didn't know when to say it. It never seemed appropriate.”

“While I do understand, darling, why did you decide that? Not that there's anything wrong, but...”

“No, there's definitely something wrong! She's leaving us, and she waited until now to say it. Totally not cool.”

“Calm down, sugarcube. I'm sure there's a reason for that. Sunset wouldn't leave us just for the sake of doing it.”

“Oooh, I bet it's because-” Pinkie tried to speak, but there was an orange hand covering her mouth.

“It's not that I don't like being with you; I really do. It's just that... after talking with Princess Twilight for a while, she asked me if I wanted to go back and study as her personal protégé.” Tears started coming out slowly from Sunset's eyes, meeting under her chin. “How could I say no? A chance to see my family again, a chance to show everypony there that I've changed. A chance to-”

Sunset was suddenly interrupted by Twilight hugging her, followed by everyone else.

“Thanks, girls. I'll never forget you. And I promise, whenever I can, I'll come to visit you.”

“Wait, Sunset. When are you leaving? We need to plan a farewell party for you before you go!”

“Well, Pinkie, Twilight said she was busy for the week, so I'll only go there in 5 days. It's enough time for her to finish... whatever she's doing there. Wait, where did she go?” Pinkie Pie was nowhere to be seen, and in the place she once stood, was a cloud of dust in her image.

“Well, if you're leaving in five days, then what are we doing here? Let's go and make these days the most awesome ones of your life here!” Rainbow Dash grabbed Sunset's leather jacket and started running to Sugarcube Corner. “You guys are coming or not? We don't have all the time in the world!” she shouted to the four girls still standing by the stairway in front of the school.

“Rainbow... Need... Air... Can't breath...” Upon looking at her hand, she saw Sunset trying to breath, her efforts useless again the force Rainbow was putting on the jacket's collar.

“Oops. Sorry about that. But we can't lose much time, we have to run!”

“Well, I think Twilight wouldn't appreciate if she found out I died because you couldn't spare some minutes. And as I said, it's not like I'll never come back.”

“I know, but this moment gotta be special. And, if I know Pinkie, she's already waiting with a cake saying 'Goodbye Sunset Shimmer!' on the table.”

When they all arrived at Sugarcube Corner, Pinkie was already at their usual table, with a two layers cake that said 'We'll miss you, Sunset!', much to Rainbow's displeasure.

“This is only the first day, Sunset. Just wait until the last day. I promise you'll never forget this week.”

After four days of Pinkie Pie, it arrived.

The day she would leave. Sunset packed all the things she'd need, which was not much. There weren't many useful objects in this world that couldn't be found in Equestria. She did take some decorations and books, though. They would be perfect reminders of the wonders of this world.

When she got to the Wondercolts statue, the others were already there.

“What took you so long, Sunset? You're gonna leave today, so we can't wait even a second.” Rainbow Dash, eager as always, pushed the main event to the center of the circle. “Seeing as we're all here, I'd like to start this goodbye party by saying some things. I’m not a very sentimental person, but I will never forget what you did as our friend, Sunset. You really changed our lives.”

“I know this is a farewell party and all,” said Pinkie, “but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy it. We will all miss you, Sunset, and seeing as you won’t come back often, I want you to have fun now. No time for being sad, just Carpe Diem.”

“Thanks girls. I know you all have a lot to talk, but, as Pinkie said, let’s just seize the day. We won’t see each other for some time, so let’s not remember this day as a sad one. And I know this is my farewell party, but after all you’ve done for me, I couldn’t leave without giving you all a gift.” After saying that, Sunset opened her backpack and picked up a book with a blazing sun on the cape. “This is the book I use to talk with Twilight. Since I’ll be living with her from now on, I’d like you to keep it, so we can always keep in touch, even if we’re not on the same world.”

“Wow, Sunset. You’re just going to give this to us willy-nilly? I thought this was from when you studied under Princess Celestia,” said Applejack, picking the book, but unsure if she should. “Doesn’t this mean a lot to you?”

“It does, and that’s exactly why I’m leaving it here. You girls mean even more than that book. If the only way for us to talk was by going through the portal, I don’t think we’d make it. Giving you the book was the best option I had. So I want you to take care of it. And I hope to read from you soon.” Sunset was almost crying from all the memories, but she knew she had no actual need to cry. She would be able to keep contact with her best friends from this world.

“Don’t worry, darling. It’s in good hands. And, since you gave us a gift, I think it’s only fair we also give you one. This one’s from AJ, me, Rainbow, Fluttershy and Pinkie.” Approaching Sunset, Rarity gave her a carefully packed gift. “Don’t open it until you arrive at your new home. I want it to be a surprise.”

“Wait, why isn’t that gift from Twilight too? Is it something she doesn’t know about?”

“Actually, I have a gift of my own for you. It’s something that I hope will make you remember all the good times we had, and also help your studies of magic.” Reaching her pocket, Twilight picked up a very familiar purple object.

“Wait, is that…” Sunset was trying to remember how Twilight called it, but was cut short by someone she didn’t remember seeing since the Friendship Games.

“The spectrometer she built to track EM frequencies that could also contain anomalies and caused the whole transformation at the third event of the games.” Sugarcoat, without even needing to take a breath after saying that, appeared out of nowhere. Next to her was Lemon Zest, rocking out to her music.

“Yeah, that… Wait a minute, Sugarcoat? What are you doing here? I mean, not that there’s anything wrong with that, it’s just that… I haven’t seen you since Twilight moved to CHS, and that was long ago.” Sunset, still trying to understand the situation, moved her head to the right. “And Lemon Zest too? I don’t understand.”

Taking off her headphones, Lemon Zest started explaining, “I kind of have some sort of sixth sense that happens with random things and I felt that something was going to happen at CHS today, so I told Sugarcoat and we decided to check what it was. Now, can we get the context? What is happening here?”

“Sunset is going back to Equestria, and we are throwing her a farewell party before she leaves. Wanna join?” asked Pinkie Pie.

“While we’d like to join this, I don’t think me and Sugarcoat have much to do with Sunset. Of course, she’s a great person, and she helped us all see our mistakes at the Friendship Games, but I think we’d better leave this to you. But wait, if you’re going back to Equestria, does that mean we’ll never see her again?”

“No, I’ll come back sometimes. While Equestria’s my original home, this is where I grew as a person. But if any of you ever want to talk with me, for whatever reason, just talk to these girls right here. I’m sure they’ll help you out. Since you two appeared here, I think you all should try becoming friends. Having more friends is always good.”

“You know, we could become friends, but will you accept that? Like, we were the ones who put Twilight under so much pressure and made here become a monster.”

“Not to mention all the times Crystal Prep won the Friendship Games and rubbed it in your face. Shouldn’t you be carrying negative feelings towards us?” asked Sugarcoat, blunt as always.

“Don’t worry. We know it wasn’t your fault. All of it was because of what Principal Cinch taught you. If you ever need someone to talk, come to us. We’ll be your friends. Things like almost destroying the world don’t bother us that much when it comes to making friends, as long as they are truly sorry for all their actions,” said Applejack, winking to Twilight and Sunset.

“Okay, we’ll consider your offer. Now, I think we should get going. We took too much of your time already. Enjoy the party, and I hope you’re happy back in Equestria, Sunset.” Lemon Zest put back her headphones and started rocking out again, saying something about 'Holding Back the Night'.

“Honestly, that girl just can’t stop listening to that music. So, I think this is a goodbye for a long time, Sunset. I know I’m not your friend, but thanks for all you did at the games. After that, a new era came at Crystal Prep.”

After seeing the Shadowbolts leaving, Sunset looked at Twilight, as a way of saying ‘Where did we stop?’

“Oh. Like Sugarcoat said, this is the Magic Analyzer I made before transferring to CHS. After the whole incident, I started tinkering with it, looking for remnants of energy. Now it doesn’t store energy anymore, so no risks of going crazy again, and you can also set it to different frequencies.” Seeing the confused look on Sunset’s face, Twilight explained. “While checking the rest of the magic stored here, I found out that each of the magics worked out in different frequencies, just like sound waves. I upgraded the Analyzer so that it could recognize them like a radio. Useful if you want to search for a specific kind of magic. Try to search around here.”

“Thanks, Twilight. I know I’ll use it a lot there.” Pointing it at the portal, she found out it was already registered in the device. “This really works. It picked up the portal’s magic… Wait… THE PORTAL’S ON! Princess Twilight told me she’d open the portal when everything was ready. I really need to go now. She’s probably waiting for me, ready to scold me for being late. She’ll throw me in a dungeon. Or even send me back to Magic Kindergarten.” Sunset then started rushing to the portal, sweating from the fear of what Twilight could do.

“Wait, don’t leave yet. We have to take a group photo before you go! It’s gonna be our last photo together for a while.”Sunset stopped midway and Pinkie Pie started looking for someone to take a photo of them, and when she didn’t see anyone, she decided to take it herself. When everyone gathered, she prepared the camera and took about ten photos. “Now, we have another photo for the collection. You better not keep the Princess waiting, though.” After hearing that, Sunset started heading through the portal, and could hear a loud “Goodbye” from the girls behind her.

“And to think I said I’d only go back to living in Equestria after conquering everything… I’m not the same person I was in the past, and it’s time to prove it. Now, another step of my life begins.”

Author's Note:

Back for another story, and I think I'm actually getting better at writing. As always, feel free to comment and, if you don't like something, explain why. Also, if you find any mistakes, please point them out so I can fix it as quick as possible.
The song Lemon Zest was listening was "Hold Back the Night" by The Protomen. Check them out, although not needed to understand the story, they are awesome.