• Published 1st Oct 2015
  • 4,030 Views, 53 Comments

God of Rage - ShadeBlitz



The story of a teen turned God. Hilarity may ensue. It depends on your outlook on comedy

  • ...
12
 53
 4,030

Of Potato Flashlights and Alicorn Exo-suits

-----Ponyville, 3 days after reintroduction, 1.5 weeks after EQG, 1 day since events of Ep. 1&2-----

Ah, what a perfect day for an afternoon stroll. Still can’t believe how well that reintroduction went. I thought, having a flashback of the event, which isn’t included in this chapter specifically because of how boring it was.

I was brought back to the land of the living by the sound of a certain trio shouting my name.

“Mr. Shadow Streak! We have a question for you!” Apple Bloom asked, tumbling to a stop before she could hit me, but ended up face-planting when her friends ran into her.

“Heh, you girls and your antics. Anyways, what’s the question?” I asked, helping Apple Bloom back to her hooves.

“Our school has Show & Tell tomorrow and we didn’t have anything to show, so we thought we’d ask you if you have any ideas.” Said Sweetie Belle. I thought for a moment, allowing my mind to wander and come up with something unique.

“I have an idea so simple, yet so unique, that it’s completely unheard of here.” I said.

“What is it? Is it cool?” Asked Scootaloo.

“In order: a potato battery. Yes, it’s very cool. Now then, let’s head to Twilight’s library and get started.”

-----Next day, Ponyville Schoolhouse, a short while before Show & Tell-----

I sat on the floor at the back of the room, since the chairs were too weak for me to sit on. I was catching up on some lost sleep since I stayed up late in order to get the setup just right for what I had planned. The potato battery consisted of the cleanest and freshest supplies I could get. The potato was less than a day old, the nails wouldn’t rust for a few days, and the copper was fresh from the delivery cart. I even built a functional light just for the heck of it. In short, there was a POTaTOS in the building.

“Next up, we have the Crusaders and their… potato battery?” Said the teacher, their fur reminding me of cranberry juice and their mane and tail of the froth you would get if you were to vigorously shake said juice, and her cutie mark was three flowers with smiling faces. I got up when the Crusaders were mentioned and made my way to the front of the room.

“Hi, my name’s Alex. I was the one who actually came up with the potato battery idea, but the Crusaders helped me put it together. Now, I’m certain you have questions about me as well as the potato battery, but let’s stick to the topic. How the potato battery works is that, through use of photosynthesis, the potato makes a chemical called Adenosine Triphosphate, or ATP from a very similar chemical called Adenosine Diphosphate, or ADP.” I said, drawing diagrams of said chemicals on the board. “ATP is the chemical used by the potato battery. The process that makes ATP from ADP can be replicated using an external source of electricity, which will be demonstrated today. Basically, what makes ATP so important is that it stores energy in the bond between the second phosphate group and the third, which is released when it’s converted back into ADP.” I took a moment to look around the room, seeing that some of the occupants have become distracted.

“Since this is apparently boring for some ponies in here, let’s move on to the actual procedure. Girls, here’s some safety goggles.” I passed some safety goggles to the Crusaders, who put them on without question. “Alrighty, let’s see just how well this works.” I rubbed my hands together before pointing my index fingers at the potato and charging lighting magic into the tips. I waited until I could hear a faint hum from the stored energy before releasing it at the potato. The room was bathed in light as the spell lasted for a couple of seconds before running out of lightning.

“If the adults by the windows could shut the blinds for me, please?” Soon after, the room was bathed in darkness. I reached over and tapped the plastic cover on the flashlight, which quickly bathed the room in a bright light.

“It worked!” the Crusaders shouted, causing me to smile in satisfaction.

“Welp, I reckon that’s that.” I said, impersonating a certain Texan. I turned off the light as the blinds were opened.

We returned to where we sat before the demonstration and settled in for the rest of the event. Some of the kids brought in their parents, others brought in their parents for help, and there were a few who actually did their project on their own. Needless to say, and true to my nature, I fell asleep when it got boring, although I hid it well.

-----Later, Twilight’s Library-----

“Yo, Twi, you interested in helping me out with something extremely techy?” I asked, watching as her head turned to me faster than I could fly.

“What is it?!” She asked, clearly excited to be working on something far more advanced than what is common in Equestria.

“It’s something that I’ve been meaning to build for Luna since a few years before she became Nightmare Moon, but I didn’t have quite the leeway back then like I do now. It’s kind of like the stallions, but without the life-like detail. A equine exo-suit, I guess you could say.” I informed her.

“Why was leeway a restriction?” She asked as we made our way to the Ponyville train station

“Because technology wasn’t as advanced then as it is now… and because I was taking a closer look at how the guys functioned because I pretty much built them without thinking about it too much. I was surprised when I found the metals they’re made of.” I said.

“Oh.” She said. “So, where are we going exactly?”

“Canterlot.” I said simply.

-----30 minutes later-----

“Welp, cave, sweet cave.” I said. “Follow me, I’m going to show you something that Celestia and Luna don’t even know about.”

Twilight quickly caught up with me as I made my way to a dark corner of the room. I brushed my hand across the stone, feeling for any sudden and unnatural differences.

Once I found what I was looking for, I pushed the hidden button, which caused the wall before us to move further back before splitting apart to reveal an sliding door. I slid it open and motioned Twilight into the darkness beyond.

“Why is it so dark? It scares me a little.” Twilight asked.

“Short circuit is my guess. This place runs on regular electricity, since magic can’t reach this far thanks to the rune barrier. Speaking of which, here’s a fun fact: Metals don’t have the ability to contain magic for long periods of time unless it’s surrounded in it. Since this place is cut off from magic, none of the metals inside have any magic signature. Downside of the barrier is that you can’t use magic within it unless hooked up to a machine that generates magic using electricity. Really tricky circuitry, lemme tell ya.” I said, summoning a small flame over my palm.

“Is this machine really bulky?”

“Actually, it’s just a bit more bulky than saddlebags, and not much heavier because of the light metals it’s made of.” I replied, leading her down the hall once I managed to seal off the stone door. “Cmon, we don’t have too far to walk.”

-----A short while later-----

“Here we are.” I said, as the walls and ceiling suddenly cut off. “Now then, the circuit breaker shouldn’t be too far from the magipack.”

I quickly located the magipack, taking a moment to help Twilight put it on, then moved on to find the circuit breaker just a few steps from the pack. I opened it, which revealed multiple switches that were out of place. I flipped them back into place, which caused a dull hum to fill the room as the lights switched on.

I turned to Twilight after I closed the panel, seeing her looking around in wonder at the various machines in the enormous, factory-like room that were meant for construction. “This was where the guys were built. Sadly, I couldn’t start them up until their batteries charged and their ‘skin’ was saturated in magic. It took five years.” I said, looking around with a neutral expression

“Five years? How long will it take for this armor?”

“If I can get my sisters to pump some magic into it, then hopefully six months at most to get it fully operational, five at minimum.” I said. I looked at her with a raised eyebrow. “Unless someone is willing to lend a horn.”

“Who?”

I stared at her with an expression that said ‘seriously?’ “I’m talking about you, Twi.” I said.

“Oh, then I would love to help in any way I can.”

“Good. Over there is the machine that 3D prints the boards that make up the AI.” I said, pointing to a small machine in the corner. “Next to it is the machine that puts the copper circuits on the board. Once the board finishes printing, call me over and I’ll show you how to operate the other machine.”

She nodded and made her way over to the printer as I made my way over to a nearby table with various tools and metals on and around it.

-----A few hours before midnight-----

After the circuit board was finished, I led Twi to a nearby workstation and gave her an instruction sheet on how to complete the circuitry and made my way back to the frame of the exo-suit. I did some more work, adding a support for two guns that would start near the flank and extend past the shoulder and an ammo storage on the chest.

I yawned and turned to Twilight. “Hey Twi, I think it’s time for us to call it a day.”

“I agree, working on this has tired me out. Sleep sounds amazing right now.”

“Alright. Come over here so we can get that pack off you. We should be done with this whole thing in less than a week if nothing else comes up.” I said, leading her over to where the pack was when we came in.

It didn’t take long to unstrap the pack and place it on the ground before we started making our way back up the spiral stairway that led back to the main cave, pressing the buttons that opened and closed the hidden door and made our way to our rooms for the night.

Author's Note:

Sorry bout the wait, I know I promised to have chapters out sooner than this, but i've been distracted by trying to find volunteer work for the summer and Youtube on my smart tv, which I have running as I type this, and I've only recently got bored enough to do some work and actually get back into writing this story, so I'm hoping to uphold my promise and have a new chapter out soon.

5 points to whoever sees the obvious ref, excluding a certain someone... i'm looking at you, Lunar. :trixieshiftright:

Hurrah for Bill Nye!