• Published 12th Oct 2015
  • 808 Views, 12 Comments

It was the Zest of Times - Sir Doodlington



To Lemon Zest, life is a rollercoaster. It's got ups and downs. Lefts and rights. But her favourite part is when it forgets logic and goes inside out. So with the Friendship Games coming up it's gonna happen again. And she's along for the ride.

  • ...
0
 12
 808

Crocs For the Win

Music blasted through Lemon Zest's headphones as she sat through maths class. Her eyes were closed as she focussed only on the music that drowned out all other noise from the normal classroom. Her class was possibly the worst she could have ever hoped for. In fact, the whole academy was boring in her opinion. She'd come here to play music and get to a point where she'd be able to leave her mark on the world, damn it. Not this rubbish. Having said that, she still enjoyed some of the other subjects like science; however, the allure of music beckoned to her. There was no denying that she loved her rock music, it was all she heard for at least five hours a day after all.

Suddenly, she felt a gentle tap on her shoulder. Opening her eyes, she looked up to see Dean Cadence standing next to her wearing a look that could only be described as disappointment. It was a sight Lemon had quickly grown accustom to the look after joining the school. Apparently, 'Because the teacher was being boring' and 'It's not like I was gonna learn anything I'll actually need in real life' weren't proper excuses for listening to music in class. Quickly, Lemon took off her headphones and placed them on her desk in front of her. The noise from the classroom instantly invaded her ears. The annoying sounds of real life tripping her up and making her hesitate for a moment.

"Hey Dean Cadence! What's up?"

"Miss Zest. You know our policy about electronic devices at this school."

"You break it, you buy it?"

Cadence sighed. This conversation happened too often. In all honesty, it would have been easier to just allow the girl to continue listening but that would set a bad example to the other students. Lemon already did that with her weekend exploits. Skydiving and freeclimbing were never on Cadence's list of 'Things to do when bored'. They were on this girl's though.

"Miss Zest, as I have told you many times before, no electronics on campus unless they are turned off. Otherwise, I will have to confiscate them until the end of the day. Again. And we don't want a repeat of the Crocodile Incident, now do we. So please hand over the real ones."

Lemon grinned. The Crocodile Incident. Five months ago, Cadence had tried to confiscate Lemon's headphones again but Lemon had been ready. Instead of handing over her real headphones she'd instead handed over a fake set with a baby crocodile hidden inside. It had been meant as an innocent prank but in the end, the crocodile had escaped and terrorised the school for a good three hours. There was never any reason for the panic. The croc was a special breed that didn't grow teeth until they were at least five years old. Ah, but the panic. The hysteria. The janitor seemed to think it was hilarious as well but then again he though anything even mildly chaotic and amusing was the epitome of comedy. It was still funny, though, even after a good half a year. She never did find the croc after that. It was too bad. She'd been thinking of keeping him as a pet and calling him Toothy or Fang or something else along those lines.

Still smiling, she handed over her pink headphones with next to no resistance. She had a pair of earphones in her bag.

"Oh, and by the way," Cadence said as she pocketed Lemon's headphones, "Principle Cinch wants to see you."

Immediately, the smile was gone.

Lemon had only once been called up to Cinch's office before. And that was after the Crocodile Incident. She hadn't been reprimanded, in the literal sense of the word, but she had been told that she was skating on thin ice and reminded of Cinch's influence in the surrounding areas. One such area being Appaloosa University.

The Appaloosa University had quite possibly, the most outrageous standards of quality. Nearly all of the students who passed through its doors became extremely successful after leaving. That was what Lemon wanted. To make an impact. To make sure everyone remembered her for the rest of time.

Cinch, on the other hand, had pretty much stated that if something like that were to happen again, then she could kiss all hope of getting into Appaloosa University goodbye.

"Yes Dean Cadence."

Lemon slowly got up. Had she recently done something to enrage the principle? All of the pranks that she had pulled recently had left both CPA and Cinch by extension completely unharmed. Though, if you counted missing toilet lids as harm then it was a different story.

She gathered up her items and left for Principle Cinch's office.

What would the old crone want her for now? Her most recent prank had nothing to do with her and it had even backfired a bit on her. Evidently, CHS doesn't like when their statue gets to play dress up with the students from CPA. Instead, they produce books about their recent defeats at the hands of CPA as extremely fast. Like stupid fast.

She continued on her way, all the while thinking of different reasons why she might be in trouble. As she walked a thought occurred to her. A) She was losing her touch with her pranks (a bucket of water on top of a door? That's just cliche) and B) These corridors were really long. If she wanted she could probably sing a song about how she wanted to be somewhere else like a typical Disney princess. She could probably drag it out to about 2:43 minutes if she took a leisurely stroll and looked longing through all the doors. Maybe she could include an ironic comment or two hinting to something else in the future! Hell yeah! That'd be epic!

After a short thought about how she'd probably never be able to do that kinda thing she broke into a jog down the halls. Running in the halls was against the rules but there was nothing in there about jogging. Lemon quietly congratulated herself for figuring out yet another way to evade the rules.

As she reached Cinch's office a minute later she stopped a little way down the hall. She knew Cinch was all about reputation and that she'd probably have an aneurysm if she caught even one of her students not wearing the uniform properly. Small changes included by the students as well. Everything had to be perfect for her. And if Lemon wasn't perfect then Appaloosa University would be impossible.

Lemon quickly checked herself over and straightened out any small changes she found like one sleeve being a bit higher than the other and a small wrinkle that reminded Lemon of that one vein on Cinch's forehead the students had a running bet on when it would pop.

Finishing up, she composed herself and knocked on the door. Not a moment later it swung open inwards and Lemon found herself looking into the inky darkness inside the room.

Author's Note:

Like? Dislike? This is the product of a bowl of garlic bread, a slice of cake and insomnia. Don't ask. The world will be better off. Don't worry and the world will keep spinning. That's my policy.
Comment pls! That way I know how to continue with this!
Ta!