• Published 8th Oct 2015
  • 4,118 Views, 27 Comments

Prince Blueblood: The Politician - Charx



Prince Blueblood goes to Cloudsdale to rectify civil rights abuse of changelings

  • ...
6
 27
 4,118

Cloudsdale

"Prepare the chariot for departure to Clousdale, Lieutenant," said Prince Blueblood to his guard.

"Yes, sir, right away sir. May I ask why we are going, sir?" asked Lieutenant Swift as he and his Prince walked toward the airfield.

"The Wonderbolts, who do act as Cloudsdale's policeponies, are denying changelings access to the city because of fear of invasion. Ever since Queen Crysalis, municipalities have been depriving changeling citizens of certain rights, in this case the right of free movement. I've called the mayor and top Wonderbolts members to a council to rectify this problem."

"Yes sir, I'll have the press lined up to release the results, sir."

"Thank you, Lieutenant."

XXXX

"After the defeat of Discord, and the crowning ceremony of the Princesses, Celestia and Luna, a royal decree was issued proclaiming the rights of all citizens of Equestria, and these changelings are no exception!" roared Prince Blueblood.

Debates had been raging all through the council. The Wonderbolts mostly said nothing, but the mayor was very adamant in his statements. Soon, the results would be presented to the press and the subjects of Clousdale would vote on wether or not to pass the decree, which would allow changelings freedom of movement. This decree was the only thing the mayor had agreed to, but Blueblood thought it was a ploy. Since changelings who lived in Clousdale had been evicted without proper procedure, the vote would not count because it would not take all votes from all legal residents of Clousdale. The mayor could easily allow a vote to take place, and manipulate ponies to vote in his favor, without changeling intervention.

"We can't pass any decree without a public vote, and we can't allow these changelings to vote until we know the result of the decree!" argued the mayor.

"They already have the legal right to vote, they're citizens! Recognized citizens! You can't hold a vote and deny them the right to participate in it!" said Blueblood.

"According to the Royal Decree of 1245 ANM, any citizen who engages in terrorist action will be immediately deprived of civil rights! This is a logical precaution against any changeling invasion, as we saw in Canterlot!"

"And do you have evidence of terrorist actions? You can't just assume that they-"

"According to our esteemed police force, the Wonderbolts, 200 changelings of Clousdale directly participated in the Canterlot invasion, and -"

"According to my records, you evicted 1300 changelings. What evidence do you have against those cha-"

"Allow me to finish my previous statement, please. The remaining 1100 were evicted on association with terrorist changelings."

"What jury verified these claims?"

"I-well," the Mayor stuttered and stammered out his response, "The, um, Royal De-Decree of 1254, 45 I mean, states that they can be evicted or imprisoned without trial."

"That decree was changed to allow the right of trial by jury in 1879 ANM."

The mayor slowly removed his glasses, staring intently at the Prince, "Clousdale, as a city harboring a military force, is allowed certain.......privileges and exemptions from certain laws."

"The Wonderbolts is officially classified as a police or emergent response force, not a milit-"

"If I may, Prince Blueblood," a Wonderbolts member spoke up, "The Wonderbolts are considered a police force in Clousdale, but during the Changeling Invasion, we were asked to fight in Canterlot. That means that the Royal Guard, who asked us to fight, recognized us as a military force of Equestria."

"The Changeling Invasion was not an invasion, you admitted it yourself just a while ago. It is considered a domestic terrorist attack, which means police, not military, were fighting," said Prince Blueblood.

"It involved Queen Crysalis, who was the ruler of a sovereign nation, attacking Equestria, and almost killed Princess Celest-"

"She was an illegal immigrant! No legal body within Equestria recognized her arrival, or departure, for that matter," Prince Blueblood stood up and headed for the door, "As Cloudsdale is a recognized municipality, it must provide its citizens with their legal rights, and as the Wonderbolts are not a military force, they cannot deprive any citizens, other than the 200 changelings who have direct evidence against them, of their rights. Thank you." Prince Blueblood turned and left the council.

XXXX

"Wow," said Twilight, "Why are you showing me this again?"

Princess Celestia had been teaching Twilight about proper politics, and to this end, she was showing her transcripts from the council meeting held by Blueblood in Clousdale.

"Because, Twilight, you need to see how a politician handles things," Princess Celestia grabbed another transcript, "Be that you're a Princess, you'll be negotiating trade deals and solving domestic crises. Which you already do, of course, but this goes beyond that," Princess Celestia knelt down to look Twilight in the eye, "In his career, Prince Blueblood has strengthened the freedom of individuals while enforcing foreign policy to be able to defend this nation. It is difficult to balance freedom and safety, but Blueblood has maximized both. He's ratified three city constitutions and established the Royal Court."

Twilight still looked doubtful, "Princess Celestia?"

"Yes?"

"We're still talking about Bueblood, right?"

Celestia giggled at this, "Yes Twilight. He may have questionable personal morals, but for society? His compass points true north," Celestia rose up, "Luna and I are old, set in our ways. We're sometimes blind to things. Blueblood is the first in a new generation of leaders, and you will be the second. Bringing untold prosperity to Equestria. But you need something to build upon," Celestia lifted another stack of transcripts, "Let's keep reading, shall we?"

Author's Note:

I really doubt Equestria has a constitution, but it fits the story

Oh, and ANM stands for After Nightmare Moon

Comments ( 27 )

This is an interesting take on Blueblood - impossible to stand at personal level, but actually competent on profissional level.

He deals with politics. A lot. If I had the same job, I think I'd be an even bigger jerk than he's ever been, when off-duty.

Oh, and ANM stands for After Nightmare Moon

Neat!

6503541
Yeah, politics can be crazy. You know how almost every president developed gray hair? Obama's is like....totally white, way different than 8 years ago

Two mistakes:

This decree was the only thing the mayo had agreed to

Was his/her name Hellmann's or Miracle Whip?:derpytongue2:

But you nee something to build upon,

need?

As for the story, I can see this. Blueblood may be a jerk, a womanizer, and a snob in his free time, but he must be doing something right for the princesses to keep him around.

6503618 I read that the presidency ages you significantly because of all the stress it involves.

"May i ask why we are going, sir?"

A bit 'o capitalization could be in order. Nice story.

Huh, I can kind of see it. I kinda wish there was more to read about Competent-Politician-Blueblood.

Nice to have a clever Blueblood for a change.

6506606 I hope one day I can write a real story about Blueblood's political career

Prince Blueblood isn't the politician Equestria deserves, but the one we need :applejackconfused:

"That decree was changed to allow the right of trial by jury in 1879 ANM."

Oh, and ANM stands for After Nightmare Moon

So, this happened more than 1879 years after Luna was banished? I though Luna had only been banish for 1000 years.

Either way, your story gets an upvote from me.

6507608 she was, but returning for half a day wasn't too important, so I'm assuming they'll keep that time scale.

6510160

I still don't get it. If Luna had been reformed at the beginning of the series, then it would currently be somewhere around 1001 ANM, give or take.

6511227

Oh, yeah. Hmmm. I guess I messed up. :twilightsheepish:

Nice concept! I'd like to see more of it! A good break from the usual "Blueblood as Frank Underwood" political stories!

I like this. Have my upvote.

Wait, so Chrysalis's attack doesn't count as an act of war in spite of being acknowledged as coming from outside, and so she's an illegal immigrant which means that law can do nothing? Wat.

6520710 it's called politics. Logic? :rainbowlaugh: Also, the law (Wonderbolts + Royal Guard, and The Prince and Princess) did do something, stop the invasion. But, in order to further his agenda, Blueblood considered it a domestic terrorist attack.

This... makes sense. I like this. I just may make my future depictions of Blueblood a bit like this. Celestia knows I don't like him, but heck, good politicians are rarely likable people. Also, while I naturally have always assumed that Blueblood would be a racist, this shows a different side of him which rounds him out very realistically. Like many people, he's a jerk, but there are some redeeming traits about him.

Actually, a story of Blueblood being a racist, and yet having to stand up for these races because of his loyalty to his country, could make for a very interesting story.

6748505 I might use that racist idea, maybe tell a story about his evolution into a more tolerant pony

I like the thought of Blueblood being a great politician. No one actually LIKES politicians, so he's got that spot on. He knows what he's doing, but people still argue and find fault with it, no matter what, just like modern day politicians, who may or may not get things right and people insult them. :facehoof:

I can see this. Blueblood being that one politician that no one likes as a person/pony, but they are one of the best in the business.

Being ass don't make you bad at your job

If Equestria doesn't have a constitution, I'm confident they may have something sort of a Magna Carta for which guaranty the rights of its citizens.

6503636
Soy de Argentina y tengo la misma idea, un presidente nuestro murió en el cargo.

Es un buen desarrollo de personaje. Te quedó genial.

Login or register to comment