• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 1,229 Views, 21 Comments

Solaris - Gus



Nova seems like your ordinary unicorn but his magic reserves say otherwise.

  • ...
0
 21
 1,229

Beginnings


14 Years Ago

Sitting alone in the class room was a young unicorn colt he had a golden coat, an orange and red mane with matching tail and bright red eyes. He was always early, it was the only time in school he enjoyed well that and leaving it. There was no one to make fun of him, no one to tease him. He hoped today that the other colts wouldn’t be to mean to him as he had another one of his headaches that had been plaguing him recently.

“Why do you even come to class Nova you fail at everything” said the first of the colt to walk through the door.

“I bet his horn is fake” said another.

“What’s it now a month into school and he can’t use any magic” the last of the group said.

What they didn’t know was that Nova could use magic, he just chose not to. Every time he had tried to use it somepony would get hurt or the object he was trying to levitate would be crushed or thrown through a wall. It was easier for him to pretend he couldn’t than risk seriously hurting somepony.

Soon the class had filled up and the teacher had started with her lessons, he wasn’t paying much attention as his headache took another opportunity to flare up again, he started to feel really hot as a dull pain spread across his body.

“I bet Nova could levitate it” was said mockingly from one of the other colts.

Suddenly a bit more alert to the class after hearing his name.

“Would you like to give it a try nova” the teacher said reassuringly.

He liked this teacher, always patient and kind with him; he wondered why as all he did was act as he was the worst magic user in a school for unicorns. “Go on just take your time, concentrate on the book” she said trying to encourage him further. It’s been a few weeks since the last time he tried to use his magic and his dazed state for some reason thought it would be different this time.

A large golden aura could be briefly seen as the book erupted into flames.

Just as he released his magic the headache began to throb again and again, the pain began to be unbearable he felt like he was burning. A shocked stare meanwhile was on the faces of everypony else in the room as a golden glow began to emit from Nova.

“AaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhH!!!!!!!!” Nova screamed at the top of his lungs.
A powerful shockwave launched in all directions from Nova, the wall behind him collapsed, everypony was slammed against the remaining walls. He passed out.


“What happened” Nova stuttered slowly gaining consciousness.

“It’s all right son, your safe now daddy’s here” the stallion said stirring from his chair at the bedside.

“Where am I, the last thing I remember was the book... I set it on fire and then..?” No it happened again but I never went to sleep afterwards he thought to himself.

“From what I’ve been told you caused a small explosion, no one was badly hurt so don’t worry” he would leave it at that; his son did not need to hear about the injuries he had involuntarily inflicted on the other colts and fillies. “We are currently in the hospital; you seem to have come out without a scratch on you.” Nova’s dad continued.

“I.... I... thought it would be different this time that I wouldn’t hurt any pony but it’s even worse” Nova said starting to cry.

“It might not have to anymore Nova, the doctor that examined you believes he has found the problem, and will be coming back with some test results soon” he said trying to comfort his son, he hated not being able to help him, not understanding why his magic was so out of control, he had no experience with magic being an earth pony.

“Mr Olive Core, we have the test results back, with some quite surprising results” the doctor said approaching the father and son. “Well it appears your son has the same magical energy as a mature unicorn if not more”.
“Is that bad doctor” Olive replied.

“No far from it, it’s not unheard of for colts to have exceptional magical energy though I myself have never seen this much in one so young, your son is gifted Mr Olive Core, very gifted”.

“But what about the explosion how can we prevent that from happening again”.

“Oh that, a simple spell, well more of a technique will allow your son to contain his energy until his body is mature enough to handle the excess energy” A smile slowly appeared across Nova’s face as he heard this. He wouldn’t hurt anypony again or so he thought.


10 Years ago

“But I thought you were supposed to be an exceptional unicorn” the dark blue coated Pegasus with the silvery mane said jokingly, he knew full well Nova was exceptional.

“Well yes but I don’t know any of those fancy spells, though you have seen me levitate objects no normal unicorn can lift” Nova replied. His magical energy had been kept at the same level it had been four years previous with any extra energy Nova mentally locking away inside himself. Unlike other gifted unicorns he hadn’t been sent to a specialist school as was recommended, his father just couldn’t afford to do so.

The two colts were trotting through a forest just outside fillydelphia looking to cause a little trouble as young colts do. They had become inseparable over the past four years, Night Wing was the first colt that talked to him after he moved from his old school after the incident. He was his first true friend.

“Nova I’ve always wondered what the largest thing you could levitate is” Night said curiously.
Nova thought to himself for a few seconds before replying “You find it I’ll move it” thinking it would be very unlikely to find something that he couldn’t move.

“If I find something you can’t move you have to call me Captain Night Wing all week in school”.

“Ok well I win you will call me The Great and Powerful Nova”.

“You know Trixie will get annoyed at you for stealing her self-imposed nick name if I called you that but alright” and with a hoof bump the deal was made.

Night wing thought he had won already he knew something that Nova would never move but he would have fun with the bet before he would get to that.

Over the next 30 minutes Night Wing made Nova lift rocks trees even a house though only moving it slightly as he didn’t want to damage it. “All right that was awesome but can you move me” Night Wing said almost triumphantly knowing Nova’s weakness.

“I should have guessed you would stoop this low” he always refused to move ponies directly remembering how damaging his magic could be, sure he hadn’t destroyed anything in years but to know his magic could possibly do that to a pony scared him.

“Come on what you waiting for, or do you really want to call me Commander Night Wing that badly” He knew it was a win-win situation, on one hand he could help his friend get over an irrational fear of his or he’d win the bet.

“But you know how I feel about using magic on ponies”.

“Come on all you got to do is move me, I know you won’t hurt me”

“Alright alright just move you” Nova said with a creeping smile, he wasn’t ready to use his magic on others though that didn’t mean he couldn’t move him using other methods. He slowly lifted a large rock that was lying behind night and slowly started moving it towards him.

“It’s a stupid fear you have, you can do it” Night said as he noticed his friend’s horn glowing. He started to feel like he was being pushed from behind, it must be the magic he thought for just a moment as he had never been in another unicorns hold. “Wait... no that doesn’t count your cheating” Night said as he finally noticed he was being pushed by a rock.
“Well you said all I had to do was move you”

“You knew I meant with your magic”.

“Your exact words were “Come on all you got to do is move me” and I moved you” .

“Whatever...” Night said reluctantly accepting the technicality.

“Does that mean I win, I must say the Great and Powerful Nova does have a nice ring to it.”

“No!” he wasn’t about to lose on a technicality and he knew Nova wouldn’t allow him to specify another pony, he had to think of something fast.

“Well it looks like you are out of ideas; I’ll give you two minutes to come up with another one or I win”

Maybe the statue in the park, no he moved the house so easily earlier. What about the large tree in the forest that could be challenging no this would be my last chance it has to be something he can’t even budge. Nothing else came to his mind, he sighed just about to give up when something caught his eye. A large grin appeared on Night’s face as he said the next two words. “The Sun”.

“You got to be kidding me, the sun, No that doesn’t count” .

“Why you scared you can’t do it”.

“Of course I can’t do it”.

“The stories said that unicorns used to move the sun and the moon before Celestia did and I have yet to see or hear of a unicorn more powerful than you” Night said knowing he would now try.

“Alright I’ll try” Knowing that now if he failed the bet was lost; Night had a valid point unicorns used to move the sun so why couldn’t he do it now.

Pointing his horn towards the sun his horn glowed brightly as he put more and more magic into moving the sun.

I can almost feel it, I’m close now.

He was now using all his available magic into his attempt. He felt as though the sun was calling to him he had to reach it.
If only I had more magic, it’s just a bit further. I’m four years older now my body can handle more magic. I must reach the sun. He looked inside himself and undid the lock on his magic container and the magic from the container became his again.
Night Wing looked on in awe as the light around Nova’s horn began to glow more and more, he was slightly scared but began to think he could actually do it.

More and more of his magic was becoming available to him and he could feel the distance between his magic and the sun become nothing. Not long after he reached the sun, the heat was extreme but it felt pleasant to him almost like it belonged to him, he just wanted to stay like this connected to this Celestial object. “You can do it” he faintly heard as his friend Night was cheering him on. He then remembered the bet he had to move it, the bet was meaningless now but it felt like the sun was asking him to be moved. So he started to move the sun, he didn’t know were or why he just did. He felt happy and contempt connected with the sun until he felt another presence, it seemed to awaken him from his trance like state somepony else also connected to the sun. Celestia I moved her sun. He quickly broke the connection.

“You did it you moved the sun, I admit defeat oh Great and Powerful Nova”

Nova didn’t hear this, Why did I have to move the sun; I’m probably a wanted pony now. He got lost in thought about what might happen to him.

“NOVA, what’s going on” he shouted as he wasn’t getting any response.

“Celestia , she sensed me on the sun” he said with panic in his voice.

“Don’t worry about it, she probably doesn’t know who you are and even if she did no harm came of it, look the suns back in its position before you moved it” he said trying to comfort his friend hoping what he said would turn out to be true.

“Your right thanks Night, you’re a good frie... Arrgh” he was cut off as the most painful headache he had felt in his life began to throb.

“Nova are you alright?” Night said as he raised a concerned hoof to his friend, just to withdraw it immediately in pain as it touched his coat. It was like his coat was as an oven. “Is it Celestia is she punishing you?”.

Is it Celestia doing this to me, is it a side-effect of touching the sun, No this is to familiar. The container it’s still open. Over the past few minutes the magic container inside Nova has been continually releasing magic to him, it was now flowing into him at an alarming rate with no sign of slowing down. He tried to lock the container again but the headache and rising temperature of his body made it extremely hard to concentrate. He remembered the damage he caused four years ago, but the magic he had now was easily 3-4x, he wouldn’t lose control again. I have to control it.

Night Wing could tell his friend was in pain and wanted to help him, he entered the large ever expanding golden sphere glowing around his friend and began trying to cool him down by creating wind with his wings. Try as he might he could feel the area getting hotter and hotter, he knew it was all emitting from Nova. “Ra...... Night” he heard his friend mutter he got closer to try and hear what it was. “Run Night”.

“No what can I do to help you I won’t leave you like this”.

“RUN!!!!!!!!” he screamed.

Night turned to flee and began flying to the edge of the sphere.

A large light could be seen as bright as the sun for miles around, it disappeared as quickly as it came. In the epicentre of the source was a lone colt unicorn unconscious in the middle of a very large crater.