• Published 23rd Sep 2015
  • 4,939 Views, 154 Comments

Excuses... Excuses... - pertelote345



Applejack has gone through a lot in her life. She's lost family, been a primary caregiver, even had a few massive shifts in her identity... And she's still standing. She's still here. But is that enough?

  • ...
22
 154
 4,939

Step 2: Trying Things!

I hadn't seen Applejack for a couple of days. Things hadn't exactly ended badly... Well, no more badly than they'd started at least, but...

I felt like kicking myself. If my studies had taught me anything it was that emotional problems take time and work. You can't just drag someone into therapy with no warning and assume it will fix everything.

I found myself checking my shelving organization for the third time in a row. Spike pushed the library cart to the side and gave me a confused look. "Twilight? Is everything alright?"

I sighed. "Sorry, Spike, I guess there's just been a lot going on recently."

The little dragon put a claw to his chin. "Hmm... We've been working here for a bit, why don't we break for lunch and you can tell me all about it? Does grilled lettuce, tomato and cheese sound good?"

I smiled. "Have I mentioned how amazing you are?"

He smirked. "It goes without saying, now come on! I've got some new rye-bread I want to try..."

I followed Spike to the kitchen and sat down at the little crystal table while he whipped up lunch. Some days I'd try to help him out, but honestly he was so much better at cooking than me that I mostly just got in his way.

I eyed the fruit bowl on the table. For the first time it occurred to me just how much of Applejack was in this room.

When the girls had decorated this place I thought that AJ's touches were by far the most subtle. She hadn't brought in furniture like Rarity or massive plushies like Fluttershy, but instead had decided to decorate the kitchen with... well, food.

There were a couple of bales of hay with a little drop cloth underneath (I had no idea how I was ever going to get through them) and she'd hung some dried herbs by the windows, giving it a homey feel and making the tree look so much more alive than it had before.

Adding to that theme were the little window gardens. I'd never had much of a green thumb, but for some reason they were flourishing. Spike was even carving up tomatoes from one of them for our lunch. Maybe it was that oh so elusive 'earth pony magic' that manifested in so many little ways. They were certainly built with love, that's for sure.

I sighed and a sandwich appeared in front of me. Spike smiled. "Here you go, fresh from the dragon fire! Now, would you mind telling me what the problem is?"

I took a bite of the sandwich, nodding appreciatively as I chewed. "I'm not sure how much I can say. It's a bit... private."

He grimaced. "It's not some sort of sex thing is it?"

I looked away. "No, nothing like that..." At least not for that definition of the word. "I guess the best way to put it is that I have a friend who needs some help with something private, but it's not just one little problem. It's a major bunch of long term problems that are deeply intertwined."

He nodded, considering. "Applejack?"

I nearly spat out my sandwich. "Wha-? H-how did you know!?"

He held up his claws. "Whoa there, I didn't for certain until you said that, I just guessed because I saw a bunch of her books downstairs. I didn't realize she had such a collection."

"Oh..." I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. A worrying thought crossed my mind. "Uh... Spike, you didn't read anything sensitive did you?" I asked.

He looked genuinely confused. "Uhh... Not unless you count that super messed up Zebra Witchdoctor comic. Man, that thing was creeepy. Is AJ dealing with internalized bigotry or something?"

I snorted. "Not to my knowledge. The books are a mix of some of her stuff and a few generations of her family's. Could... Could I ask you to avoid reading any more of those for a bit? Some of them are a little personal."

His eyes widened. "Oookay, I'll stop, but now you've got me curious."

I sighed. "I'm afraid you'd just have to ask AJ." Not that she would tell him. She didn't even feel safe enough to tell me...

He looked concerned. "She's not in super serious trouble, right? Is this a 'I really should pry because she'll explode twice if I don't' thing?"

I shook my head, downing the rest of my sandwich. "No... It's... more complicated than that. AJ just needs something that makes her happy right now."

He blinked. "Wait... AJ needs to feel happy? Don't you have a trump card for that?"

I tilted my head. "Spike, what are you talkin-?"

And then it hit me.

#

I hadn't seen Twi for a couple of days. Things hadn't exactly ended badly... Well, no more badly than they'd started at least, but...

I knew I'd messed up. She'd tried to help, and all I could do was nag about how much better she was than me.

I dumped another load of weeds into the compost pile, I guess I'd just need to-

"HI!" An excited squeal declared.

"Gyahhh!!!" I stumbled back into the weed pile. Looking down on me was a grinning pink mare.

I should've known. I groaned. "Hi Pinky... Could I get a hoof up here?" I swear that girl had a horn on her somewhere. I'd never seen an earth pony just pop up out of nowhere before she came to town.

She nodded, "Okey doki!" She hauled me up. I brushed a thistle out of my hair and did my best to smile. "So, what brings you to Sweet Apple Acres?"

"Pie!" Pinkie said.

I blinked. "Uh... Ya'll wanted to buy one?"

She shook her head. "No silly! The Cakes and I wanted to ask you about some of your recipes! Right, serious face!" She pulled out a necktie from... actually I had no clue where she got it, and did her best to repress her standard massive grin. "Sugarcube corner would like to make a business arrangement with you. You allow us to use your recipes and we give you a percentage of the stuff we sell, along with advertisements for your produ..."

She groaned, sticking out her tongue. "Uuugh. This businessy stuff is hard! How do you and Rarity do it?"

I chuckled. "Long and arduous practice, sugar cube. And I could see a little arrangement like that working out, but I'd have to run it by Granny, she makes all the recipes."

Pinkie nodded. "I totally get that, but..." She looked pensive.

I raised an eyebrow. "What?"

She grimaced. "It's just... I kinda, sorta, maybe said you'd have time today for a baking demonstration."

I blinked. "Wait, a what?"

#

I had no idea how I'd let myself get talked into this.

"I know right! They didn't even bother to write the transition!" Pinkie said.

I stared at her. "What?"

She grinned. "Don't worry about it, so what are you going to make!?" She asked.

We were standing in the back of Sugar Cube Corner staring at a mountain of baking supplies, candies, spices...

Honestly it might've been faster to list what they didn't have. I needed to get me a kitchen like this... Not that I could afford it.

I turned to Pinkie. "Pinks, not that I don't like to throw down in the heat of the oven, but Granny is the one who wrote all those famous Apple Family recipes. None of them are mine to share."

Pinkie looked disappointed. I winced. I'd known this was a bad idea to start. The cakes wanted to dig into something sweet in an hour, but there was no way I could wake up Granny from her nap and talk her into the deal that fast.

I was basically just here to disappoint a friend... Again.

"Boop!" Pinkie said, poking me on the nose. "You don't need to be a mopey dopey Jacky Wacky! I know just what we'll do!"

I blinked. "What?"

She rolled her eyes. "Wow, is that your new favorite word? Anywho I know just what'll fix this! We need an AJ original!"

I eyed the mountain of baking supplies. I wasn't certain. I mean, Granny's recipes had been fine tuned for generations of Apples, could I really come up with something worth selling right off the cuff?

I turned to Pinkie, she looked expectant.

I gulped. What the heck, something was better than nothing. "Okay then. I'll give it a shot!"

Pinkie hopped up and down in excitement, you could practically see the joy flowing off of her. "That's the spirit! All ya gotta do is get a cup of flour add it to the mix! Sing it with me!"

I smirked. I had no idea what she was on about, but I guessed I could play along, "Add a teaspoon of chilli powder, a bit of salt just a pinch!"

She giggled, "Baking these treats is tons of fun it'll make you smile I betcha!"

I smiled. "Now you've got it lass! Let's kick some ass! And see just what will get yaaaaa!"

We sang together! "Pie crust! Some sweet and flaky pie crust! Don't be too hasty, pie crust! Pie crust, pie crust, pie crust!!!!"

#

Mr. Cake's expression was borderline unfit for polite company. "Alicorns above... I've never tasted anything like this!"

Ms. Cake nodded, padding her ample belly. "I do think we have a winner here deary... Although I admit it's a bit dry."

The married stallion picked up another bite. "Here honey bun, try it with the ice cream!"

He guided the spoon to her mouth and her eyes went wide. "Sweet Celestia that's just what it needed! Applejack, what do you call this?"

I blushed. "Well, I haven't come up with a name yet. It's peanut butter apple pie with a chocolate chilli crust and chocolate ice cream on top. I'm with Ms. Cake, it really needs to be a la mode. I thought about adding some whipped cream on top too, but I figured that'd be like gilding a lily."

Mr. Cake swallowed another bite thoughtfully. "You know when Pinkie suggested this I wasn't sure, but I have to say we'd love to feature this recipe on the menu! We already carry plenty of ice cream so that won't be an issue... Do you have some time to work out the details?"

I nodded, tilting down my stetson. Now I was in my element. We sat down and haggled for a few minutes. Eventually we worked out that Sweet Apple Acres would get a solid 45% of the profits from the sale of the pies provided we were willing to provide the apples for 'em at cost.

It seemed like a pretty great deal to me, so we shook on it (I decided against a spit shake, these ponies were in food service after all) and left that place feeling a heck of a lot better than I had in a while. I'd made money, invented something completely new, and hung out with one of my best friends.

Still... something was bugging me. I turned back just as Pinkie was closing the door and asked if she had a sec.

She nodded, hopping outside to join me. "Sure AJ, what's up?"

I scratched at the back of my head. "It's just... Mr. Cake said you were the one who thought of this, is that true?"

She nodded. "Yeppers! Great idea huh?"

I raised an eyebrow. "It really was, but... What brought this on?"

She stopped for a moment, literally she just froze. It was right peculiar.

I was starting to get nervous. "Uhh... Pinks?"

"She's worried about you AJ." She said finally. "She didn't make me promise not to tell you, but... I don't know it all feels so wibbly wobbly touchy feely uncomfy wumphy."

Somehow I actually understood that. "Twilight asked you to cheer me up?"

Pinkie nodded. "Yeah... She seemed guilty when she asked. AJ did she do something mean to you? Because I know Twilight and I'm super duper sure she'd never hurt you on purpose, ever."

I felt my heart race a little. Did Twilight think I hated her?

I grit my teeth. There was another friend that needed my attention. I put a hoof on the pink mare's shoulder. "I know, sugar cube. There ain't nothin' that could come between Twi and me, don't you fret."

Pinkie hugged me, long and tight. I chuckled, hugging her back. There was a long, very comfortable silence.

"For the record, y'all really know how to lift a mare's spirits." I said finally.

She giggled. "It's what I do!"