• Published 29th May 2012
  • 5,325 Views, 297 Comments

Derpyball - Rated Ponystar



Derpy and the mane cast vs Gilda and her team of griffins in a dodgeball game

  • ...
10
 297
 5,325

Part 8

Derpyball

By The Rated Ponystar

Edited by Clavier

Artwork done by Tzelly (http://tzelly-el.deviantart.com/ )

***

Rainbow Dash knew that, with the odds against them, she would have to lead her team differently than she usually did. The hotheaded pegasus wasn’t normally the one for tactics and strategy, but that’s why she had an egghead for a friend. Twilight predicted that the griffins would strike hard and fast right at the start, so the best chance they had early on was to get as many dodgeballs at the start of the game. This required speed, and Rainbow Dash was the fastest there was.

Blazing forth like lightning, Rainbow Dash flew towards the line and started knocking back as many balls as she could towards her side. Lyra and Applejack were right behind her, ready to grab the dodgeballs and quickly disperse them among teammates. However, the griffins were still fast flyers as one of them, Hammerhead, managed to quickly get to one and throw it at Rainbow Dash. Dash barely had time to lean back to avoid the blow. Unfortunately, the ball continued on course until it hit Roseluck on the side and knocked her on her back with the wind knocked right out of her. The crowd groaned or booed, already a minute in and somepony on their side was out.

Despite the sudden loss, Rainbow Dash quickly retreated from the middle line and shouted, “Let them have it!”

The Ponyville team cheered and began to throw their dodgeballs, the griffins counter attacking with their own. Soon, both sides were at war with each other, jumping, dodging, and throwing to their hearts content.

The ponies took another hit when Gilda managed to block a shot thrown by Lucky and got ready to throw her’s. Lucky prepared himself, but suddenly Gilda threw her ball right above her and into Jackknife’s claws where he quick unleashed his throw. Taken by surprise, Lucky was unable to dodge the hard blow to his chest and he was called out by the referee.

Cursing up a storm, Rainbow Dash whistled and in flew Snowflake. “Think you can be my shield for a direct assault?”

“YEAH!”

“Then charge big guy!” shouted Rainbow Dash, getting behind her tank with her own dodgeball in hooves.

Snowflake flared out his nostrils and charged forward. One of the griffins, Bloodlust, tried to stop him with his own throw, but Snowflake managed to catch the ball. The griffin cursed a storm as Roseluck quickly rushed back into the fight. Still on his war path, Snowflake continued his charge, knocking back any dodgeballs that were coming his way. Rainbow Dash was right behind him. “Come on! Almost there!”

“Ugh, that guy is like a brick wall!” shouted Gilda who clenched her claws upon seeing her own shot blocked.

“Bob bring down tiny winged pony!”

Gilda looked behind her to see her strongest griffin take a dodgeball, aim, and fire like a canon. The ball was sailing so fast Snowflake didn’t even know he was hit until he was halfway across his side of the field, holding his bleeding jaw. Rainbow Dash barely managed to make it out of the way. She cursed, hoping to get closer to aim for Gilda or Bob, the two more dangerous of the group, but she had to settle for a different target. She kicked her dodgeball as hard as she could and managed to hit Viper straight in the head, knocking him to the ground hard.

The audience cheered, they were two for two now in terms of outs! Dinky waved her hat in celebration. “Yahoo! Did you see that?! Dash and the others are catching up!”

Although Derpy smiled and nodded, she quickly frowned upon realizing that she was the only one who could see what was clearly going on. They’re holding back. Not good.

Back on the ground, the two sides slowly became more evenly matched until Sugerberry was taken out by a low blow to her legs causing her to trip. She tried to get up, but winced and immediately fell down, causing the game to come to a timeout. The doctors checked her legs and found them to be strained, meaning she was out for the rest of the game. With now one of them permanently down, Lyra sighed and realized it was time. I didn’t want to show this off so early, but I guess I have no choice.

The game went back on track and Lyra rushed to the middle where two of the griffins looked at her and prepared to unleash their dodgeballs. Suddenly, Lyra, to their surprise, stood up on her hind legs like a minotaur with her horn glowing. “Alright, you buttheads! Bring it on!” shouted Lyra, appearing to be what looked like a fighting stance.

One of the griffins, Stone Cold, looked at his partner and laughed. Pointing at the unicorn, he said, “Oh, really? In case you haven’t noticed we have dodgeballs and you have nothing, weakling!”

Lyra grinned as a crazed look appeared in her eyes. “You underestimate my power!” To the shock of the audience, and the players on the field, two sets of golden arms appeared from Lyra’s back. Her horn continued to shine as the magical limbs stretched out looking similar to minotaurs only more monkey looking and five fingers. “Now! Feel the true power of my magical HANDS!”

The griffins quickly snapped out of their shock and threw their dodgeballs only to watch in horror as Lyra’s magical limbs caught both easily. The smile on Lyra’s face increased as she started reeling back each hand and threw the balls at top speed, getting two headshots as a result. Despite the overall creepiness of the magical limbs, the crowd burst into joy and cheered Lyra’s name who responded by giving them a thumbs up.

Gilda, red in the face, called for a time out and pointed at the unicorn. “Oh, come on! That has to be illegal! Isn’t that just telekinesis?! Last time I checked it could be used for holding and throwing, but not catching!”

The referee walked over and touched the limbs, surprised to find them solid. Lyra couldn’t help but shoot Gilda a smirk. “They’re not telekinesis. They’re actual solid magical limbs. Some ponies who have lost their legs or hooves use this spell to help them get around. I just happened to modify it a bit.” Lyra rubbed her hooves over the hands in fascination. “They’re really useful too! Just ask Bonnie when we have our special nights.”

Somewhere in the audience, an embarrassed Bon-Bon was planning to have a word with her marefriend after the game.

The referee judged it fair and Gilda had no choice but to back off. Still, she thought as she retreated, I’ll let them have their little small victory. It will make things all the more sweeter when we go full out.

***

Half and hour passed and everypony was at the edge of their seats. The game had been going back and forth with one side taking the lead until the other side came back with a vengeance. Soon, it was back to full strength for both teams as ponies in the crowd cheered for their team. All that was except for Derpy. She could see some of the lesser athletic ponies like Lucky and Roseluck already looking winded. Not to mention the griffins had been holding back greatly.

It’s gonna happen now, thought Derpy, biting her lip. Everything is gonna change for the worse.

“I’m going to the bathroom,” said Derpy, not wishing to see the future slaughter.

“Everything okay?” asked Carrot Top.

“Yeah,” lied Depry.

“Well, hurry back, Mommy!” shouted Dinky with excitement. “You don’t want to miss the griffins get their tailfeather kicked!”

Gilda, meanwhile, looked at Viper who was raising his eyebrow. Gilda smirked and nodded which made Viper give a sadistic looking grin. Slowly, he began walking towards the end of the line, unarmed and unafraid, which shocked the opposing team.

Applejack, narrowing her eyes, said, “Somethin’s off. Ah got a bad feelin’.”

“I’ll just cream him from here,” said Lyra, using her magical limbs to pick up a dodgeball and leaned back.

“Lyra wait!” shouted Applejack, but it was too late.

Lyra screamed as she threw the dodgeball as fast as she could. It screamed through the air, almost a red blur that few could keep an eye on. Just as it was about to smash into Viper’s face, he quickly tilted his head and let it rush past him without harm. Lyra blinked before realizing that she missed and her mouth became wide open. Viper whistled and he caught a dodgeball passed to him by one of his teammates before, in a stunning move, rolled it over to the other side.

The crowd was silent as all other action ceased to watch what Lyra would do. She picked up the dodgeball with her limbs, stared at it, and then back at Viper. Growling at the insult, she used both her hands to pick it up and charged forward. Screaming she threw it over head, this time twice as powerful and twice as fast. Viper only smirk as he held his claw out and caught it with ease. The dodgeball continued to spin his claw before it came to a stop. If there was any burning pain from the rubber, Viper didn’t show it.

“N-no way,” muttered Lyra in disbelief. Everypony’s jaws were on the floor upon seeing such a feat.

“Our turn,” said Viper, eyes widening with a psychotic look on his face. Like a sudden strike of lightning, he threw the dodgeball and, before she even knew it, Lyra was knocked back across the field and shattered her magical hands. A dirt trail was left behind from the point of impact to where she finally stopped. Weakly, she looked up before unconsciousness took her and went limp.

“Lyra!” shouted Dash in fear before she was forced to dodge another throw. Suddenly, the griffins had turn on the offensive. They tried throwing their own balls, but they missed completely or the griffins dodged with ease. The audience watched in silent horror as their team got cut down one by one.

Lucky, who was panicking a this point, screamed and started running only to get nailed with a low blow that knocked him down on his stomach. Bob, up from above, flew in the air and threw down a second ball which collided with Lucky straight on the head, cutting it open. The poor stallion only felt agony for a few brief minutes before passing out.

Sugarberry, armed with her own dodgeball, tried to creep along the right side for a sneak attack. She got up to the line and prepared to throw her dodgeball at Gilda. But before she could throw it, she felt a shadow suddenly cover her position and looked up before seeing a flash of red, the ground, and then darkness.

Spotting two of his comrades down, Snowflake’s nostrils flare and he charged forward like a battering ram. With dodgeball in hoof he threw it at Apex Predator only to watch in horror as he dipped down and grabbed it with his tail. He reversed the throw and managed to hit Snowflake in the chest. If bounced off the muscled and headed straight up into the air where Apex jumped up and kicked it again, this time smacking it off Snowflake’s head. Snowflake struggled to get up but a third throw, from Apex who grabbed the ball in midair again, sent the muscled pegasus down for the count.

Applejack and Big Macintosh looked at each other and nodded before charging forth. The brother and sister duo dodged left and right from the oncoming barrage of dodgeballs before Big Macintosh gritted his teeth and allowed one to hit his head, smacking it upwards. Applejack, seeing her chance, jumped on top of her big brother before grabbing the ball in midair, saving themselves from an out. Applejack then took the ball and fired it at Gilda who stood still without worry before another ball managed to knock the other one in midair, saving the captain.

However, this lead Applejack open for attack as three dodgeballs made their way for her. Knowing she was done for, Applejack closed her eyes and waited for the triple impact, but it never came. Rainbow Dash flew in and grabbed her just in the nick of time. Landing on the ground, Rainbow Dash let go of Applejack as the three remaining ponies gathered together. The griffins, now just one short due to Applejack’s catch, waited patiently as all the balls were on the ponies side of the court.

With this temporary breather, Rainbow Dash asked, “Alright, we managed to get one of ours back in. Who is it?”

“Um,” said Big Macintosh, pointing at their team’s bench.

The two mares looked behind them to see that all their fellow teammates were knocked out cold, the medics tending to their them. Rainbow Dash cursed as she she glanced at the griffins who were smirking devilishly and nodding to each other on a job well done. They’ve been holding back this entire time?! Unbelievable!

The crowd that had once supported them was no silent, their banners having fallen. In just five minutes they had seen the power comparison between their ponies and the griffins. Rainbow Dash resisted a frustrated scream, she had expected them to be good, but not this good. If only she was here.”

“Go Ponyville!” Rainbow's eyes widen as she turned around to find the single cheering voice in a sea of despair. All eyes turned to a grey unicorn filly who was standing on top of her set, screaming, “Ponies rule! Beat those griffins back! Come on, team!”

Bob grunted at the sight. “Stupid filly loud and annoying. Make Bob sick.”

“Relax, Bob, she’s just a filly. What can she even do,” muttered Viper, shaking his head.

“You griffins think you're tough?! Well us ponies are tougher! My mom is a better dodgeball player then you! She’s the best in the world!” cried out Dinky, sticking her tongue out.

“Isn’t her mom that retarded looking one with the weird eyes?” asked Stone Cold, growling. “Did she seriously call us worse then a retard?”

“Brat is getting really annoying,” muttered Dragonbane.

Dinky’s cheers started to add a few smiles to nearby spectators with a few clapping their hooves. Derpy, coming back from the bathroom, stopped by the top of the stairs and saw her daughter stand up and face the crowd. “We can’t let Rainbow Dash and the others down everypony! Let’s go Ponyville! Let’s go Ponyville!”

Slowly, but surely, the chant started to spread. Everypony was getting up on their hooves and stomping. “Let’s go Ponyville! Let’s go Ponyville! Let’s go Ponyville!”

The stunned griffins stood there, watching their moral crushing tactic slowly disappear. The chant continued on, growing louder and louder until everypony in the stadium was shouting it. Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Big Macintosh looked at each other before joining in. “Let’s go Ponyville! Let’s go Ponyville!”

“Let’s go Ponyville! Let’s go Ponyville! LET’S GO PONYVILLE!” shouted everypony in the entire stadium. No longer were they shackled by the chains of hopelessness, they were now free and more determined than ever to hold faith in their heroes.

Derpy watched her daughter lead the ever growing cheer with a wide smile. Her beautiful daughter, so innocent and brave, had turned everything around in a split second from sorrow to joy. She really is special...

Gilda couldn’t believe it. Their plan to demoralize the stupid ponies had failed?! She growled and looked at her team who were looking equally pissed. That brat just ruined everything! She needed to fix this and now!

Her eyes turned downward as she noticed one of the dodgeballs from the ponies side slowly rolled over and crossed towards their line. A grin overtook Gilda’s beak as she remembered they were still in play. Gilda grabbed the ball and looked toward the remaining dodgeball players on Dash’s team, all distracted by the cheering. She winded up her throw, ready to aim it at Dash’s face when a claw stopped her.

She turned around and saw Hammerhead stopping her. Taking the ball from her, he said, “If you really want to cause damage to these losers. You need a better target...”

To Gilda’s horror, Hammerhead turned his eyes to an oblivious Dinky who didn’t even know what was about to happen. Gilda tried to shout for Hammerhead to stop, but it was too late. He threw the ball which went sailing into the air. Everypony soon gasped as they saw it fly straight towards their moral crusader.

The world seemed to slow down for Derpy as she watched, both eyes straight and in shock, her daughter slowly turn around. “Dinky look out!” she shouted already flying in an effort to save her child. Carrot Top, noticing the danger, leaped out of her seat to intercept it.

But they were both too late.

A loud ‘smack’ echoed across the stadium as everypony in horror watched the little filly take the red dodgeball right in the face. Knocked out of her seat, Dinky sailed through the air until she landed on the hard downwards steps of the stadium. Her head bounced against the pavement as her body shook uncontrollably until Dinky opened her eyes, feeling the blood from her nose gush out all over her. And then, in a split second, she felt the pain.

“Mommy!” cried Dinky, tears streaming down her eyes as she clutched her head.

“DINKY!” cried out Derpy as she landed next to her daughter, trying to keep her steady while Dinky continued to scream in agony.

The entire stadium erupted into screams, yells, and gasps. Derpy didn’t hear or care what everypony was saying, she was gunning for her crying daughter who was being tended to by her aunt. Landing next to her daughter she held her in her hooves as her daughter continued to sob and bleed. “It-t hurts... Mommy... it... hurts...”

“It’s okay! Mommy’s gonna make her muffin all better,” whispered Derpy before she started screaming for help. Paramedics flew in and quickly helped Dinky get on a stretcher as they flew back into the stadium, Derpy and Carrot Top right behind them.

Back on the stadium, the referees and security were holding back Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Big Macintosh from charging in and beating up the griffins; took twenty for Mac because of his size. Many in the stadium were telling the officers to let them go and beat up the griffins for what they done, who didn’t have a single shred of guilt on them. Except one.

Gilda furiously walked over to Hammerhead who was getting chewed out by the referee. After getting the signal that he was kicked out of the game, he stepped back as Gilda smacked Hammerhead in the face. “What the peck was that for!” he shouted.

“Are you an idiot?! You just hurt a filly! Why did you do that?!” shouted Gilda. “She was just a child!”

“She was the reason our plan failed,” said Hammerhead, getting up and glaring down at Gilda. “This game is war. And you do what it takes to win a war. Do you have a problem with that?”

“Yeah, I do!” shouted Gilda. “I asked you guys to help me embarrass and humiliate Rainbow Dash and her friends! I didn’t mean go around and hurt kids like some psycho!” She turned to the glare of Rainbow Dash who look ready to kick her face off. “I want to beat her, but not like this. Fillies and colts weren’t suppose to get hurt.”

“Since when did you grow a conscious?” asked Viper stepping forward. He scoffed. “You talk big, but in the end you're still softhearted.”

“Shut up, I’m not a lameo like these ponies, but I’m not crazy either!” shouted Gilda, shaking her head. This had gotten so wrong so quickly in her mind. Beating up Rainbow Dash and her stupid friends? Fine. Fillies and Colts? Peck no. I don’t even go that far!

“Guys, look. Why don’t we call time out and discuss this in our locker room,” mentioned Apex Predator with a smile that made Gilda shiver. The others looked at each other and gave an equally scary grin.

“Yes, let’s...” said Viper.

Gilda gulped as she was lead out by her team towards the locker rooms. This isn’t good...

On the other side, Rainbow Dash was fuming. She couldn’t even believe Gilda and allowed this to happen. She didn’t think her former friend would have sunk so low, but there was the proof right there. Makes me regret that I even knew her!

“Ah can’t believe it,” said Applejack, shaking her head, eyes filled with fury. “Those no good varmints! Hittin’ a filly like that! Ah’m gonna skin everyone of them rotten apples hides off and sell them on the market!”

“Get in line,” muttered Big Macintosh, spitting on the ground.

“...ugh, forget this! Screw the rules, I’m gonna go teach them a lesson!” shouted Rainbow Dash, who couldn’t hold back any longer. Before anypony could stop her, she was already flying after the griffins and followed them into the hallways, looking for their locker room.

***

Rainbow Dash was on the warpath. She had enough of sports, and rules, and what else. All she knew was that she was angry and she wanted a set of griffin butts to kick to get rid of it. Unfortunately, Rainbow Dash found herself lost for a bit until she heard the sounds of somepony screaming in pain. Flying forward on full alert, she was about to turn the corner when she stopped and pressed herself against the wall. Peeking out of the corner, she saw the griffins slowly leave out of a room with a satisfied look on their faces.

But where was Gilda? Rainbow Dash waited a bit longer, but she didn’t see any sign of the captain of the team. Taking a deep breath, Dash flew into the room only to gasp at what she saw. She had found Gilda, but she was all bloody, bruised, and beaten in a pile of her own blood. Moaning, Gilda tried to get up, but she fell on her beak and groaned in pain.

“Gilda!” shouted Rainbow Dash, rusing to her aid and helping her get up. “Hold on...”

“Wha... Dash?” asked Gilda, looking through her one good eyes while the other was swollen. “What are... you doing?”

“Helping you, what else does it look like?” asked Dash, placing her arm over her shoulder.

“I don’t need your help!” yelled Gilda before hissing in pain. “Besides... I hate you... you stupid... lame...”

“Yeah, yeah, feeling is mutual,” interrupted Rainbow Dash, rolling her eyes at Gilda’s stubbornness to even still use her attitude. “But jerk or not, not even you deserve this. Was it your teammates?”

“Teammates?! Peck them!” shouted Gilda as they slowly made their way to the door and out the hall. “I called them out on their... attack on that filly... and they said I was weak... bastards ganged up on me and left me like trash.”

“Wait, you didn’t order the attack?” asked Dash, in surprise.

Gilda looked at her disbelief. “You seriously think I would so something like that? You know me better than that Dash!”

“Know you?! I don’t know you anymore!” yelled Dash, looking at her straight in the eye. “I don’t know what made you become like this, Gilda, but you started this because of your attitude! You think it’s easy for me seeing one of the best friends I had become this kind of person? Gilda, I hate you because of what you have become! Maybe it’s time to look at yourself in the mirror and see that the only “dweeb” has been you this entire time!”

Gilda didn’t say anything, she just stayed silent and continue looking forward. Rainbow Dash shook her head. “But for what it’s worth I’m glad you tried to stick up for Dinky...”

“Yeah... whatever...” muttered Gilda as the two continued down the hall.

***

Despite Derpy’s efforts, she was forbidden to enter the medical station in the stadium and was forced to wait outside with Carrot Top. The two of them had each other, tears in their eyes, although Derpy was crying harder, as prayed Dinky would come out alright. “It’s all my fault... it’s all my fault...” muttered Derpy, over and over again. “I should have been there. I should have protected her.”

“It’s not your fault,” said Carrot Top. “You didn’t know what would happen, none of us did.”

“I made her come to this stupid game!” growled Derpy, pushing away from Carrot Top. Shaking with rage, she said, “I never should gotten any of us involved. Nothing good happens with dodgeball. Nothing!”

“Derpy, stop saying such ridiculous things,” said Carrot Top.

“Why should I?!” shouted Derpy, screaming her head off. “Dodgeball made me lose my friends! Dodgeball made me hurt ponies! Dodgeball now ended up hurting my daughter! All that’s stupid sport has done is ruin my life! I never should have let Dinky come here! For what?! To cheer for a team that has no chance of winning?! I don’t care if she loves dodgeball or not, she doesn’t deserve to suffer because of dodgeball! She doesn’t deserve to suffer because of me!

Derpy couldn’t take anymore and just fell to the ground, covering her head with her forelegs. “Why! Why can’t this just stop! Why won’t dodgeball just leave me alone!”

“For Celestia’s sake, Derpy!” shouted Carrot Top. She walked up to her weeping friend and picked her up before forcing her to stare at her with both eyes. “What happened out there is not the fault of dodgeball or you! Dinky tried to help get the spirits up of everypony out there and she did it! The only ones who should be blamed are those griffins who attacked your daughter!” Derpy said nothing, she just continued to listen. “And don’t blame dodgeball for all your problems! You choose to become a bully in the sport! You feel sorry for it, but you don’t face it! You just keep running away! And you didn’t lose your friends to dodgeball! You have me! You have the town! And we’ll never abandon you! The only other pony who you should blame is--”

“Me...”

Carrot Top looked up in confusion while Derpy froze. It was just one word, but that voice she knew in an instant. The last time she heard it was when she was begging Derpy to stop. She slowly turned around and saw a pony she hadn’t seen in years. Although her hair was no longer tied up and flowed freely in the air, and she looked much older and mature looking, Derpy could no doubt deny that the pony who limped towards them was Starfall.

The same Starfall who became her best friend, and betrayed her. The Starfall who made her become the Crossed-Eyed Demon in the first place. She didn’t know if fate was being cruel to her today or this was just a coincidence. She wanted to run, she wanted to punch Starfall, but even now, after all this time, a part of her wanted to hug her former best friend.

Carrot Top, ignorant of who she was, asked, “Who are you?”

Starfall gave a weak smile. “An old friend. Or at least... I hope I still am. I heard she was here from the news and I figured... it was long over due that we met.”

“Carrot Top,” muttered Derpy, “leave us.”

“Huh?”

“Please, this is between her and me...” muttered Derpy stepping forward. Carrot Top looked at both ponies before sighing and left.

The hall was quiet as the two looked at each other, Starfall with a small smile on her face while Derpy was emotionless. “You’ve really grown up, Ditzy.”

Derpy nodded and noticed that Starfall’s wings looked okay, but the leg she had crippled long ago looked a little misplaced. Noticing her staring, Starfall looked at her leg and nodded. “Yeah, thing still doesn’t work well. You really did a number on it. Can’t even hold anything with it, cut my dreams into being a dodgeball player short. Pissed off my old man.”

“I’m sorry...” muttered Derpy shaking her head, tears threatening to flow. “I didn’t mean too... I was just so angry I... Starfall...”

She felt a hoof under her chin and lifted her up, one eye facing right, while the other was looking at Starfall’s sorrowful and guilt-ridden face. “No, Ditzy. I am the one who should be saying sorry. If it wasn’t for my stupid jealousy and desire to please my dad... you never would have suffer or become a demon.” Starfall closed her eyes. “You have no idea how much guilt I’ve had to deal with. The day after I beat you to an inch of your life I looked at myself in the mirror and realized that I had almost killed my best friend. And for what? A stupid dodgeball position? Hay, it turns out we were gonna be on the same team that day cause the coach thought we worked together. I barely was able to play because I realized that my betrayal wasn’t even needed.”

“.... you hurt me,” whispered Derpy, nostrils flaring. “You made me feel like I was a freak! I hated you so much! I just wanted... just wanted...”

“And I deserved it,” said Starfall, sighing. “I thought that being a dodgeball player and winning awards would make me happy, just to see my dad praise me and look at me like a daughter instead of a failure.” Starfall shook her head. “But every time we played, I was reminded of the fun times we use to have and I went to bed crying and dreaming of that horrible day every night after a game. It was a nightmare all the time.”

She then looked at Derpy with fear and shivered. “And then you came... I was so shocked to see you, but I was even more terrified. Your eyes, your stance, the way you played, everything about you screamed that you were on a warpath. That day, the day you became the demon, I realized that I was the one who made you. I created you out of my own actions.” Derpy suddenly gasped as she was hugged by her oldest friend, who started crying into her eyes. “I watched you become a monster, hurting others like I hurt you and realized that it was all my fault. I turned a sweet and kind filly and made her into a terrible demon. You were so hurt, so alone, that I regretted it every day and have been for years, even after you disappeared.”

“Starfall...” whispered Derpy, who hugged her back. “It’s... it’s not all your fault. I allowed myself to continue becoming that monster. And I ruined so many lives, including yours.”

“Ditzy,” said Starfall, wiping the tears from her eyes, smiled, “what you did to me I can’t thank you enough.”

“Wait, what?!” shouted Derpy, jumping back in shock. “But... but I crippled you! I ruined your dream!”

“It was never my dream!” shouted Starfall. Taking a deep breathe, she explained, “I do love dodgeball, but the truth I realized, after you crippled me, was that I hated playing it. I only did because I wanted to please my father. The truth is, I liked being the one who made the plans and discovered I liked teaching it more then playing it. When I told my old man, he flipped and well...” Starfall turned around and showed old bruises that made Derpy gasp. “He got physical. Neighbors heard everything and cops took him away. I was sent to a nice foster home where they treated me right. Now? My old man is in jail and I’ll be glad if I never see him again. I’m doing fine where I am in Cloudsdale, teaching dodgeball to kids and I even have a coltfriend back home.”

Starfall walked over to Derpy and nuzzled her. “Some good came out of this, Ditzy. The only thing I ever regretted was never saying this...” She took a deep breathe. “I’m sorry, Ditzy Doo. I’m sorry for everything, my best friend in the world.”

“S-starfall! shouted Derpy, tackling her and hugging her close. “I’m sorry too! I’m so sorry!”

The two continued to embrace each other, feeling the past they had between them finally disappear. There was no more hatred, no more guilt. Only forgiveness and the old bond they once had a time when they were both truly happy. Starfall then whispered, “Ditzy, there is one more thing you need to do.”

“W-what?” whispered Derpy.

Starfall, looked at her straight in the eye. “You need to play one more time.”

“H-huh?!” shouted Derpy. “But.. but I can’t! I swore!”

“Ditzy!” shouted Starfall, pointing to the center where her daughter is. “Your daughter just got hurt by a bunch of griffins who showed no remorse for their actions! Your friends are all fighting the good fight, trying to protect their pride and the hard work of their fellow ponies! I know you are afraid of playing dodgeball, but you still have it in you, Ditzy! I can still see it in your eyes, but this time go out there and play not for yourself, but for those you care about, Ditzy! Do it for them!”

Starfall stomped her hoof. “You may think you're a demon, Ditzy, but even a demon can cry and protect it’s loved ones! Now are you going to show them who the best dodgeball player is out there or are you going to keep running away like always!”

Hiding behind her mane, Derpy stood still as Starfall waited with anticipation to see her answer. Derpy muttered, “They hurt my muffin...”

“... and nopony does that when I’m around!” screamed Derpy, her eyes straight and filled with rage. Despite this, Starfall looked with a smile as Derpy grinned. “Hey? Mind telling the guys up in the booth to get the sound system ready? I have a few things I need to get real quick."

***

Within half an hour, order was soon restored after the incident. Hammerhead had been kicked out of the game for his actions, but he didn’t care. This left the griffins with six members on their team while Ponyville had only three left, with one of them coming back from the stands. Applejack raised an eyebrow. “Glad to see ya in one piece, but where were ya?”

“I’ll tell you later,” said Rainbow Dash looking for their teammates. “Where is everypony?”

“Hospital,” answered Macintosh with a grave look on his face.

Rainbow Dash held back a curse as the referee walked up to them. “You guys have any substitute players that can take your open spot?”

Before Rainbow Dash could answer, a bell suddenly rang out. It was like hearing one from a church, but in a creepy tone that caused a chill in everypony’s spines. A guitar and drum began to play as everypony realized that this was a song. The question was for who? Hadn’t all the players come out? They turned to the entrance where the Ponyville team came out of as they saw red smoke pouring out of the darkness; like the gates of Tartarus had opened and something was being unleashed. Slowly somepony came out and in an instant every dodgeball fan, sports reporter, and dodgeball player gasped and cheered as they saw who it was. A feeling of in anticipation and fear was felt in the air upon seeing her slowly enter the stadium.

The griffins were confused by who this individual was while Rainbow Dash grinned like mad as Applejack and Big Macintosh looked in disbelief. Those who knew her before she retired felt their pelts shiver and yet they couldn’t help but feel a nostalgic sense as the greatest of them was returning to the field once again. Those who knew her only by her cover identity, who heard the rumors, stared in disbelief as they realized that they were true and that the clumsy mailmare they had known was really a demon in disguise.

The lone pegasus figure slowly walked out from the entrance as the announcer shouted, “Fillies and Gentlecolts! It is my highest honor to introduce one of Equestria’s greatest dodgeball players! You folk in Ponyville know her as Derpy Hooves, but we of the dodgeball community know her by another name. Put your hooves together and welcome back, The Cross-Eyed Demon, Ditzy Doo!

Wearing a pair of shades, the lights all came upon Derpy as she walked with confidence, and yet with anger in each step. She wore the same Ponyville uniform her daughter had made for her days ago, in honor of the filly who she was fighting for. With that jersey, she had her old black and green camouflage vest on with the back supporting the symbol of a pony’s skull burning while demonic wings emitted from it’s ears. And of course, the eyes were facing opposite directions.

Derpy couldn’t help but feel some sort of excitement as she made for the center. The power, cheers, and energy had all come back and it tasted oh so sweet. But this time she was on a mission. Not to prove herself or cause pain. But seek justice for her daughter, and help her town in it’s time of need. If there was one thing worse then a demon was a demon with an vendetta.

Stopping in the middle she slowly turned and faced the griffins who were now sweating in fear. They too knew of the name “Ditzy Doo” but they never imagined that they would be facing her. Derpy slowly took of her shades and, with a straight stare that could cause a dragon to even have a heart attack, she gave the most glaring stare she ever gave. One that not even Fluttershy could counter. The griffins gasped and stepped back, clutching their chests as they tried their best to stay strong, but the looks on their faces betrayed them.

The entire stadium cheered upon seeing this, although they too quivered in fear upon seeing the demonic look in Derpy. It was clear that that the tide was going to turn. For after so long, years of hiding, the demon had returned for one last game. Even Sunny and Lulu were in awe at this and quickly got out the popcorn. Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, she then turned to Rainbow Dash and the others before smiling. “So I heard you guys need a substitute?”

Rainbow Dash nodded. “Maybe, you think you can still play? It’s been years?”

Derpy noticed a dodgeball, in a blink of an eye, she kicked it into the air and then roundhouse kicked it straight towards a Hammerhead on the side. He slowly looked to his left to see a red dodgeball, inches away from his face, stuck inside the wall he was on. The ball was smoking.

Derpy looked at her work and smiled. “I think that about proves it.”

Author's Note:

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS! TIME MARCHES ON!

I know I said that I would end it with this chapter, but it was going to long and I figured this was a good place to break it up. Come on, it's Metallica. How can you not ended a chapter without them? Next chapter will be the last one, promise