• Published 29th May 2012
  • 5,342 Views, 297 Comments

Derpyball - Rated Ponystar



Derpy and the mane cast vs Gilda and her team of griffins in a dodgeball game

  • ...
10
 297
 5,342

Part 4

Derpyball

By The Rated Ponystar

Edited by Clavier

Artwork done by Tzelly (http://tzelly-el.deviantart.com)

***

Children always have idols they look up to when they grew up. Sometimes it’s parents, other times ti’s famous figures. Rarely is it ever a pony from the streets. In a tough neighborhood like Las Pegasus, most ponies who lived on the streets wouldn’t make the kind of role models that parents approve of. Occasionally, they would find a pony that was the type anypony could admire for their skill or even their personality.

Ditzy Doo never thought she might become one of them, and all for just playing a sport. Since winning her first game and joining Starfall’s group of friends, she had become well known throughout the area as a young pegasus who never lost a game of dodgeball.

Ponies disbelieved it at first, but upon seeing her play, nopony could deny that Ditzy Doo had skills given by the gods. She was quick, she was powerful; she was undefeatable. Many wondered how it was possible for a pegasus—with a talent in bubble blowing—to be so good at dodgeball that ponies with talents in athletics were blown away.Truth be told, she didn’t care. She was happy with the discovery of her new secondary talent.

Her peers were starting to respect her and make fun of her eyes less. There was the occasional bully who picked on her, but she mostly ignored them with a smile on her face. They could call her whatever they wanted, but nothing could keep her down for long. She had friends, she had respect, she had happiness. Thanks to her, their little team had faced off against multiple foes and won every game, making them small time celebrities.

There were still some bad things in her life. She still lived in the orphanage, and her grades were still horrible thanks to her eye problem, but it didn’t matter. The good she had far outweighed the bad. In fact, Ditzy could say that dodgeball was the greatest thing ever to happen to her. She loved the game and she loved playing it with her friends.

Ditzy snapped out of her thoughts just in time to catch a dodgeball heading straight for her head. With a quick reversal, she shot it straight back at the opposing player, knocking him onto the clouds with some of his feathers loose. A crowd of foals, and even older ponies, cheered as Ditzy decided to be a bit daring and wave her hoof at the crowd.

“Yo, Ditzy!” cried out Starfall, whose mane had changed from pigtails over the years to a bun design. Grabbing a dodgeball on the clouds, she flew back up and threw it at another opposing player, only to miss. “Keep your mind on the game!”

“Got it!” shouted back a blushing Ditzy. Putting her focus back on task, she flew around their side of the courtyard, dodging the occasional throw. She looked at both teams; her side with four players including herself, the other team with three.

Licking her lips, she dived down, grabbing another dodgeball before tossing it backwards to a nearby player on her team. The young colt flapped his wings and gave it a good kick, managing to hit another colt right in the head. The force of the blow was strong enough to bounce high into the air and into Ditzy’s hooves. Reaching back, she threw the ball, which blurred in the air, and nicked another pegasus’s wings, earning a double out.

As the two lost players flew to the sidelines, the remaining colt shivered as he saw Ditzy, Starfall, and the other two player each holding a dodgeball. Closing his eyes, he waited for the oncoming blows, only to feel a light tap on the shoulder from a simple toss by Ditzy. With the last of the opposing force out, Ditzy’s team cheered, as did the crowd. Everypony hugged or bumped flanks for a job well done, mostly towards a blushing Ditzy.

“You were awesome out there!”

“Nice moves out there, squirt!”

“Think you can teach me a few of those tricks?”

Before Ditzy could respond to any of the comments, Starfall few from behind and put a hoof around her neck. “Alright, guys. Break it up, let the filly breathe.”

The crowd respected the leader’s wishes and allowed the winning team safe passage out of the court. Traveling down the street, the team began to chat with much enthusiasm about their latest victory, trying to see who got the most players out or who stayed out the longest. Ditzy, of course, stayed silent in the back during these moments, since it would always be her who had dominated during the game.

Noticing this, Starfall flew towards Ditzy and chuckled, “You’re too much of a modest filly, you know that?”

Ditzy blushed. “I just don’t want to seem like a showoff.”

“You? Please, you’re the nicest pony I know. I’d hate to see what would happen if you ever got angry.” commented Starfall.

“You did, remember?” pointed out Ditzy, remembering the first time she ever touched a dodgeball.

Starfall winced. “Right. Forget about that. You were like a demon that day.”

The team soon arrived at their usual victory spot, Feathery Falk’s Pizza. Rushing in, the crew quickly ordered the biggest pie they could get before hitting the video games and skeeball. Ditzy and Starfall took a seat at their usual table with cups filled with orange soda. As they continued to chat, Ditzy noticed her friend was looking rather nervous, avoiding her gaze whenever she could. She wasn’t sure if something was wrong, or her eyes were acting up again.

Struggling to keep her eyes straight, Ditzy asked, “Something wrong, Starfall?”

Starfall looked hesitant to answer, but nodded. “It’s my dad... he’s getting.... worse”

Ditzy winced. “How bad?”

“He called me worthless and said that I should start getting serious with my playing or I might as well just stop calling him Dad. I’m just glad he was only drunk this time.”

Not for the first time did Ditzy want to tell her friend to seek somepony to help, but she knew her words would fall on deaf ears. “Doesn’t he get happier when you tell him you win our matches?”

“Sometimes, but until I’m on a legitimate team and not some ‘punk team’ as he so puts it, I’m nothing but a failure in his eyes,” grumbled Starfall, bitterly. “Just because he can’t play anymore...”

“Is there anything you can do?”

“Well...” Starfall put her drink down and sighed. “You know we’re going to middle school after this summer right?”

Ditzy bit her lip and nodded. If Starfall was nervous about middle school, she could understand. The other orphans told her all sorts of horrible things that happened in middle school. Like how the teachers always slept in their rooms, how they shot thunder from clouds on your rump if you got a math question wrong, and how they had special toilets to give the freshmen swirlies, and they didn’t clean them!

“Well, I really want to get into the school’s dodgeball team. Everypony says it’s really hard when you’re a freshmen, but I’m sure I can make it if I give it a try,” explained Starfall. Her eyes began to shine like the sun above. “If I can join the middle school team, it might help me get into the high school league and then play professional! Not only will I be able to do the sport I love, but Dad might finally be able to be proud of me!” Her smile then turned upside-down. “But... I’m so nervous...”

“Is that all?” asked Ditzy with a giggle. “Starfall, you’re one of the best players I know! You’ll be fine.”

“Please!” scoffed Starfall. “I’m nothing compared to you. You never miss. You never get hit. And the way you play is just plain scary.”

“But all the moves and plays we have are made by you! Not to mention you can lead this team better than I can,” replied Ditzy. She put her hoof over Starfall’s and smiled. “You’ll do fine. Trust me.”

Starfall looked at Ditzy’s hoof and then smiled again. “I guess I’ll believe you. Actually, since we’re going to the same school, why don’t we sign up together?!”

Ditzy’s eyes lit up when she heard this. “Yeah! The two of us can both get on the team and we’ll be invincible!”

The two of them held their cups up and grinned. “Teammates to the end!” they both shouted, before clicking their cups together.

***

Before Ditzy knew it, summer was over and school was back. She had hoped some of her street cred might have been able to help her out from any bullying in her new school, but to her disappointment, her reputation only went so far. Right away she had been pegged by the other students as a freak thanks to her eyes, but Starfall was there to help out whenever she could. She had tried to make other friends, but nopony was interested in the ‘Ditzy-Eyed loser’ as she was called.

There was some good, however. The school offered special needs to those of physical or mental disabilities, giving Ditzy a fighting chance against her difficulty with school work. Her eyes were still a problem, but she now had extra help when they acted up and hindered her learning. A week after school started, the day finally came for dodgeball tryouts.

Ditzy and Starfall were among the first to make it to the gym, and waited as the coach, a beefy looking brown pegasus with a buzz cut and a whistle around his neck, eyed each and every one one of them. Behind him were members of the middle school team, each wearing the red and gold striped jersey that Ditzy couldn’t wait to wear.

The coach went on about how the tryouts were run, explaining how they would be given five days to test their abilities, but only a few would be joining. Ditzy glanced at Starfall, who was sweating like she was in a sauna. Her back legs were crossed together, making it look like she had to really pee. Brushing her wing against Starfall’s side, she gave her friend a comforting smile, which slowly made partner loosen up.

“Doo!” shouted the coach, scaring the filly so much her eyes started circling in all directions. The other students laughed at the sight, some asking each other in whispers why she was even here. “Since you seem to be paying attention, perhaps you would like to be the first pony to test their skills.”

“Uh, s–sure coach!” replied Ditzy.

The coach glared at her before turning to one of his players, “Hot Streak! Get over here and go one-on-one with the newbie!”

“You got it, coach!” shouted a flaming-red-maned pegasus with a yellow pelt. He walked to the other side of the field and was given a dodgeball by one of his teammates.

After being given hers, Ditzy narrowed her eyes and kept her focus on her opponent. Hot Streak looked at her with a grin. “This is gonna be a piece of cake.”

Not wanting to waste this moment, Ditzy took off and started flying towards Hot Streak as fast as she could. He was surprised by the sudden burst of speed, but soon recovered and flew forward as well. The two got closer to each other until Hot Streak threw his dodgeball as fast as he could. “Eat this, freaky eyes!”

Ditzy only smirked as she performed a corkscrew in mid air, allowing her to not only dodge the ball, but catch it with her wings as well. Everypony’s jaw dropped as she landed on the floor, skidding to a halt. Turning around, she took the dodgeball in her wings and used them to throw it even harder than Hot Streak had. The once cocky stallion folded his wings and dived towards the floor, the dodgeball barely nicking his mane. However, as soon as he landed, Ditzy unleashed her own dodgeball. Before Hot Streak knew it, he was on the ground moaning in pain while rubbing his beet-red face.

The entire gymnasium went silent, staring at the scene in front of them. Everypony but Starfall was stunned. The pegasus with the weird eye disorder had beaten one of the middle school players in the span of a minute. The coach walked over, no longer eyeing Ditzy with a scolding glare, but a look of wonder. “Holy Celestia, kid. That was... I’ve never... what did you say your name was?”

“Ditzy Doo,” she answered proudly.

“Well, Ditzy I can honestly say that I may have been wrong about you. Heck, you might have a better chance of getting on this team the rest of these newbies,” said the coach.

Ditzy turned around to see Starfall’s reaction, but to her surprise, it wasn’t an encouraging smile. Rather, it was a worried frown. Ditzy pondered on it a bit, but soon the coach was back to work, getting ready to do drills and warm-ups. With no choice, she put it off for later when she and Starfall would have time to talk.

Only Starfall flew away before Ditzy had a chance to say anything.

***

“Mommy!”

Derpy stopped her story and turned around to see her daughter walking towards her frowning. “What’s wrong, Muffin?”

“You were suppose to come look for me, but it's been so long. Is everything alright?” asked Dinky.

“I... I’m sorry, Muffin. I got caught up talking to my friends. I didn’t mean to make you sad,” said Derpy, hugging her daughter.

“I wasn’t sad. I was worried, Mommy.”

Derpy pondered how she was going to continue her story while keeping her daughter from hearing it. She swore to never let Dinky know of her horrible past, the idea of her daughter looking at her with fearful eyes was worse than anything Derpy could think about. Thankfully, her answer came in the form of a scooter pulled wagon that suddenly came out from some bushes with three screaming fillies telling everypony to get out of the way.

Everypony jumped back as the wagon crashed into a nearby tree. Apple Bloom, holding her protected head, glared at Scootaloo, who was covered in leaves and broken twigs. “Nice drivin’, Scootaloo.”

“Shut up. At least we’re not covered in tree sap again,” replied Scootaloo, standing up.

“You girls okay?” asked Twilight.

“Yeah, sorry about that,” said Apple Bloom. “Scootaloo thought it might be nice to go down a hill at a bazillion miles an hour.”

“Well sorry if I wanted to get a downhill racing cutie mark,” snapped Scootaloo, blushing under the amusing gaze of Rainbow Dash. “I–It’s not like we were scared or anything! No way!”

Dinky giggled at the sight of her classmates predicament, which made Derpy’s eyes lit up. Nuzzling her daughter, Ditzy whispered, “Why don’t you ask the Crusaders if you could join them? Haven’t you hung out with them before?”

“Y–yeah, but...” Dinky turned to the three markless fillies, who were getting the wagon straightened out. “They seem happy on their own. What if they don’t like me?”

“You’ll never know if you don’t try, Dinky,” pointed out Derpy. “Come on, what’s the harm in asking?”

Gulping, Dinky nervously trotted over to her classmates and cleared her throat. “Um, girls? I... I want to know... I mean we’ve hung out and all, but... um, can join your club?”

“You want to be a Cutie Mark Crusader too, Dinky?!” asked Sweetie Belle excitedly. “Why didn’t you ask us before?”

“I–I was nervous. I thought you three didn’t take new members,” admitted Dinky.

“Are ya kidding?! We’re always lookin’ for new ponies to join us! Mah cousin Babs from Manehatten started a branch back in the city!” said Apple Bloom. She rushed forward and shook Dinky’s hooves. “If ya gonna join us we need to get ya fitted in! We gotta show ya the club house, getcha a cape, and make ya take the vow!”

Dinky turned to her mother, who nodded with a smile on her face. The four fillies slapped hooves in the air and shouted, "CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS NEW MEMBER DINKY! YAY!”

The three, minus Scootaloo, got into the scooter as their pegasus crusader took to the handles and started buzzing her wings, driving them straight towards the park’s exit. Dinky, in the back, turned around and waved to her mom. “I’ll be back home soon, Mommy!”

Derpy waved goodbye, as did the other grownups, pleased to see a new friendship form right in front of them. Sighing, the single mother said, “I’m really glad she’s got friends. Much better than the ones I had, at least.”

Applejack stared at her with a raised eyebrow. “What? From the sound of things, this Starfall character and ya’ll were as tight as honey and molasses.” Applejack stepped back when she saw a small tear drip down Derpy’s cheek at the mention of her friend’s name.

Wiping it away, Ditzy gave a harsh laugh. “You would think that... but the truth was we weren’t. Maybe we were, but dodgeball ruined that too.”

***

For four days, Ditzy and the other recruits went through hell. More than once, Ditzy wondered if she signed up for boot camp rather than middle school dodgeball thanks to the onslaught of training exercises. They had been forced to try to dodge dodgeballs from a specialized pitching machine with their wings tied up, and play scrimmage matches in rain and hail storms. They even once had to play blindfolded against the school’s team.

Nevertheless, Ditzy always came out on top. The coach had called her talented with a capital T, and even the players on the school team seemed to respect her. They often chatted with her, asking who taught her how to play, and they were shocked to learn she picked it up on the streets. She tried to point out that Starfall also taught her, but her friend walked away with an excuse every time.

Starfall’s behavior was starting to worry Ditzy. Ever since they started tryouts, Starfall had been very silent whenever Ditzy tried talking to her, during both class and practice. She always seemed to hold a little emotion in her eyes, only briefly looking angry whenever she messed up or got reprimanded by the coach for doing something wrong. Starfall was on the list of those who were barely doing good. Although she had more talent than most of the other ponies trying out, she was still not as good as Ditzy and a number of other ponies.

Ditzy had often tried to speak positively about her friend, both to the coach and the other players, but they quickly dismissed the conversation and geared it towards another subject. Even though she tried to hide it, Ditzy knew that Starfall was feeling disappointed in herself for not doing well enough to impress the coach. It was now day four, and day five would be the last of the tryouts before the coach made his choice on who would make the team.

Having been dismissed, Ditzy made her way to the locker rooms to use the showers. The others had already left, wanting to go bowling, which Ditzy declined. It was ironic that, while good at dodgeball, every time she bowled she threw the ball in wrong lane. As she headed towards the showers, she heard the sound of water running and wondered who was also inside. Leaning her head into the open, she felt her heart tear up at the sight of Starfall, under the shower head, crying her eyes out.

Silently walking forward, Ditzy lowered her head and nuzzled her best friend’s cheek. Starfall, looking upward, only rubbed her eyes and said, “Thank you.”

“It’s no problem,” said Ditzy, sitting down and letting the water wash over them both. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“... I overheard the coach talking with Hot Streak,” muttered Starfall, closing her eyes. “They were talking about ponies who they were thinking about cutting.” She opened her eyes and looked dead center into Ditzy’s. “I was one of them.”

Ditzy gasped before wrapping her forelegs around her best friend, hugging her as tight as possible. “I’m so sorry, Starfall. A-are you sure they mentioned your name?”

Starfall nodded. “They did. I’m just barely passable in their books, and tomorrow if I don’t show any sort of improvement, I’m... I’m...”

Ditzy shook her head and smiled. “You don’t need to worry. You’ll do fine. Tomorrow they're gonna be having us play against one another and I’m sure we’ll be on the same team. We know each other’s moves by heart and if they see us working together they’re bound to want both of us on the team.”

For a while, Starfall made no movements nor did she say anything. Rising to her hooves, Starfall hid behind her wet, dripping mane. She turned the shower off, before asking, “What... what if we’re on opposite teams?”

The room was suddenly uncomfortably silent. Ditzy’s mouth opened several times to respond, but she stopped herself every time. If I was to face Starfall tomorrow? What should I do? Play as normal? Go easy on her? Try to make her look good?

“I... I...” Ditzy tried to answer, but Starfall turned around and smiled.

“Well, it doesn’t matter. Even if we’re not on the same team, I’ll do my best and hope that will impress them,” said Starfall.

Ditzy sighed in relief before getting up and walking out of the showers with Starfall. They grabbed their towels and dried themselves off. When they finished, Starfall said, “Hey, Ditzy? How about we go see the old gang at our usual court? It’s been some time since we all hung out.”

“Yeah, I’d like that. What time?” asked Ditzy.

“Hmmm, eight at night sound good?”

“Yup!”

Starfall nodded and made her way towards the exit. “I’ll see you there. And... Ditzy?”

“Hmm?” asked Ditzy.

“I... never mind,” said Starfall before leaving behind a confused Ditzy.

Wonder what she was going to say? Ah, well. Doesn’t matter. I’ll ask her later, thought Ditzy as she continued to dry herself off.

***

Night had come sooner than Ditzy expected. It was easy to sneak past the caretakers, just like the other hundreds of other times she broke curfew. As she flew towards the abandoned court where she and her friends always hung out, she couldn’t help but think back to her discussion with Starfall after tryout practice. Maybe I should go easy on her if we do get on opposite teams. I’ve been the best in every single test given, I’m sure to get on the team. But it won’t be the same without Starfall. After all, we’re partners to the very end!

When she saw the meeting spot, Ditzy shook away her thoughts and landed on the court. She looked around, trying to find the others, the lights from the street lamps giving her very little to see. “Guys? Hello? Starfall? Little Wing? Jet Wave?”

No answer.

Ditzy gulped. She was no stranger to the danger that was in the streets, with gang violence being more common in Las Pegasus than anywhere else in Equestria. She had seen friends hurt and even heard of ponies her age killed from all sorts of bad apples. Rule one on the streets was to always be ready for danger. Rule two was never go out alone.

And right now I’m breaking rule two, cursed Ditzy as she looked around one more time for any sign of her dodgeball friends. Just as she was about to leave, the sound of wings flapping above followed by hooves landing on the clouds next to her made Ditzy freeze up. She slowly turned around, only to sigh in relief when she saw Starfall and the rest of the gang beside her.

Facing them with a wide smile, she cheerfully greeted her friends. “Hey everypony, you sure gave me a scare. What took you guys so long.”

None of them answered. They just stared at her with no sign of emotion on their faces. Even Starfall didn’t say a word. She just slowly trotted forward, keeping her eyes focused on Ditzy, despite Starfall’s eyes not focused on her. After adjusting her eyes a bit, Ditzy tilted her head in confusion as Starfall stood just a few inches from her face.

“Starfall?”

A second later, Ditzy found herself on the cloud, the iron taste of blood in her mouth. She groaned and tried to move one of her eyes upward. The last thing she saw was the hoof of Starfall come down on her before everything went dark.

***

Pain.

So much pain.

Not even her caretaker's punishment with ‘Mr. Ruler’ was this bad.

Groaning, Ditzy tried to move, but she couldn’t. Struggling, she slowly realized that she was bonded by the front hooves to a metal pipe. She opened her eyes and looked up, noticing her forelegs tied in a rope that was connected to one of the basketball poles. The realization woke her up as she began to hyperventilate, her heart beating erratically while her throat felt like it was on fire. Ditzy tried to shake herself free from the bonds, but it was useless.

She tried to think back to how she gotten in such a mess. Was she foalnapped? Did the gangs take her? All she could remember was Starfall and—

...No...

She slowly looked behind her, where she saw her old teammates looking at her. Some looked at her with regret, most were just frowning, but all of them were holding something in their hooves. They had dodgeballs, baseballs, and even rocks. In the center of them all was Starfall, looking down at her with cold, emotionless eyes.

“S–starfall?! What’s going on?! What are you doing?!” begged Ditzy as she tried harder to escape.

Sighing, Starfall turned around. “I can’t risk it... I can’t risk facing you.”

“W–what?!”

Starfall lowered her head. “I need to be on that team, Ditzy. It’s my only ticket out of this dump and... the only way to please my father.” She raised her head and glared at Ditzy, making the derp-eyed pegasus squirm. “I’m willing to do that at any risk, and if that means... hurting you... then I’m willing to do that.”

Ditzy’s mouth dropped, she could feel her heart break into pieces. “You... you can’t! Why?! I promised to help you! I’ll help you! I’ll go easy on you! Just please stop this!”

Starfall shook her head. “I’m sorry, Ditzy. I can’t take that chance. I can’t trust you.”

“But I’m your friend!” cried out Ditzy, tears streaming down her face.

“Friend?! Don’t you just get it yet, you freak of nature?!” screamed Starfall, spitting out her words. Taking a deep breath, Starfall slammed her hoof onto the clouds below them, sending up small whips of vapor. “The only reason we’ve been able to win our games was because of you. You’re... you’re a monster at dodgeball and it’s not even your special talent. Every victory we’ve had is because of you and those stupid eyes. I hate those eyes. I hate how such a... freakish look is able to help you while I’m useless. I thought you would be good for the team, just to help us gain ground, but you became the star player. I never should have made you join the team. Making you better than me. Better than all of us. You... the derpy freak!”

Ditzy said nothing. She just stared at the angry face of the one whom she thought cared about her. No... no we’re friends... we have to be... she wouldn’t do this.

Ditzy turned to her teammates, all looking away either in annoyance or guilt. “Please help me! Stop her! Something! After everything we’ve done you can’t do this! Please!”

A few made an effort to step forward, but stopped. Ditzy lowered head and continued to sob. “Please... I’m not a freak... I just... I just...”

“Enough...” said Starfall, stepping back and letting the others step ahead of her. They raised their sports balls and rocks and aimed at distraught pegasus, who stopped fighting against her bonds and looked at them with complete fear in her eyes.

Ditzy felt her breathing come to a halt as she looked at Starfall and pleaded one more time. “Starfall! We were suppose to be partners! To the very end!”

Starfall sighed. “This is the end...”

She raised her hoof.

“... fire!”

***

Derpy wiped a tear from her eye and shook her head. She couldn’t look at their faces. Not now. “I’m sorry... I need a moment.” She got up from the ground and flew as fast as she could, leaving the three stunned ponies to themselves.

When she was sure she was far enough, she floated to the nearest tree and kicked it. She screamed, giving the trunk blow after blow with years of pain behind them. Why Starfall?! Why?! WHY?!

“WHY?!” screamed Derpy, but nopony was there to answer.

Author's Note:

So here is the third chapter. You can see why I changed it from comedy to slice and life. Maybe I'll add a sad tag later on. I always do this with my stories, always have a tragic element to them when I try not too. Well, I hope you enjoyed it at the very least.