• Published 25th Sep 2015
  • 2,854 Views, 200 Comments

Angry Bird - Thadius0



When the world changes and you miss a day, but wake up with extra limbs, you tend to be a bit peeved. Well, moreso than usual. Doesn't help that I have...anger issues. Or a prescription. Or no way to fill it anymore.

  • ...
19
 200
 2,854

PreviousChapters Next
May 30th - 34 pills left

Managed to make it up past Castle Rock by noon today, and I heard that weird static again. I could have sworn I heard a voice this time, but I got nothing when I pulled over and sent out my own little message in response. Hopefully whoever it is on the other end can hear me, even if I can't hear them properly.

I debated pulling over at 188, Castle Pines, but I figured I could go a little bit longer. It hadn't gotten too dark yet. Four miles later, when the exit for Ridgegate Parkway pulled up, I was ecstatic as all get out to be able to pull off the road. Yeah, I could see a little better at night, but it wasn't anything I wanted to rely on.

Just another day traveling up the road, taking care of the dog and myself. There was nearly a bit of excitement when I went to open the back, though. A pack of coyotes showed up and growled at me, like they thought I was dinner. Skippy growled back at them, and I debated whether I could pull open the back quick enough to get my shotgun and scare them off. One snapped his jaws at me before barking loudly, and what I did next was instinctive. With instincts I didn't know I had.

The wings on my sides unfurled, and I reared up on my hind legs, before screeching at the pack of coyotes. They seemed cowed for the moment, so I took the chance to quickly pull the rear of the trailer open and pulled out my shotgun, firing it once into the air to send the pack scattering. From now on, I'm keeping that thing with me.

I watched over Skippy's meal with a wary eye to the night around me, wanting to make sure that none of the coyotes got brave enough to cause either of us harm. Once his dinner was done, I cooked my own while thinking about that response I'd just had.

Does this new body come with new instincts? That might explain why I keep thinking about eating the meat raw. Would I eventually get used to it? I hope not, I still want my old body back. Still, if I eventually learn how to use these wings to fly, that might be worthwhile...

Bah, what am I thinking. Nothing is worth this whole...isolation. Loss of everyone and everything around me. Even my body.

I ate my meal and reloaded the shotgun with a little difficulty. Though I'd managed to fire the thing blindly with my claws, the intricate motions to discharge a shot shell and reload it weren't something I excelled in anymore. It took me a minute of fumbling before I got the darn things to cooperate. I eventually shut the trailer and pulled myself into the cab with Skippy, and I feel just about ready to nod off...wait, is that...noise on my radio?

"Hello? Hello? Is this the guy that's coming up north to Denver?"

"Hello? Who is this?"

"This is Grace, I'm in Denver right now. Holed up in one of the department stores, as a matter of fact. Who and where are you?"

"I'm Henry, I'm just north of Castle Rock. I should be in Denver tomorrow, at my driving speed."

"You can drive? You'll have to show me how you managed."

"I wouldn't call it driving exactly. More like hunched-over praying that my foot doesn't slip."

"So you're something with feet, even after this whole...craziness?"

"Yeah, but I can show you tomorrow. I'm headed to the Museum of Science myself. Know it?"

"Sure do, but why are you going there?"

"Central location to a few of the city's lakes and reservoirs, or central enough. Plus...I promised someone important I would be there. And while it's pretty close to the zoo, I feel confident I can deal with any strays."

"More like right next to the thing. How do you intend to deal with things like lions or bears?"

"I have a shotgun, your argument is invalid."

"And you can fire that thing? Color me curious as to what you turned into."

"Hey, you'll see me tomorrow. I'm gonna pull up on the front lawn and make my camp in there."

"All right, I can swing by at around noon. You got any plans while you're in Denver?"

"Yeah, survive for as long as possible. Might even stay for good, if we can get something going between the two of us."

"Heh, really gonna make this town your base, huh?"

"More like nest."

...

"To those of you that can hear me. I've found another survivor. I'm going to be in Denver tomorrow, and we're going to team up and make something worth staying for. I hope. Please don't let this broadcast have been in vain. Please let me have found somebody else. Anybody else."

PreviousChapters Next