• Published 29th May 2012
  • 5,518 Views, 235 Comments

An Earth Pony's Guide to Magic - Sereg



Star Swirl wishes to live up to her namesake's reputation but how can she do so as an earth pony?

  • ...
11
 235
 5,518

Study Six: The Doctor

Because seriously, what else was I going to name this chapter? I said that I’d be making references to more traditional interpretations and that includes Doctor Who jokes. Also, there’s some minor shipping in this chapter. Apologies to those who don’t like it. However, it’s too convenient for me not to use. Also, the last chapter, as some of you may have noticed, was rushed and not up to standard, so I’ve made some slight extensions to it to make things more in character.

Study Six: The Doctor

Star Swirl blinked in astonishment as she stared at the stallion’s flank. She shook her head and raced over to him. “Excuse me. Do you mind if I talk to you over there?” she asked as she pointed to a secluded alley.

“I don’t suppose that there’s anything wrong with having a chat over there,” said the stallion as he allowed himself to be led towards the alley. “I’m perfectly fine with having chats. I rather enjoy them, though I must admit that this is a rather strange place to have one unless you’re trying to hide something but I don’t believe we’ve met at least I don’t think so, which would mean that a secret meeting would be unusual...”

“Um...Sorry to interrupt...and take you away from the marketplace...but I would like to introduce myself. I’m Star Swirl the Hundred and Forty Seventh.”
The stallion’s eyes widened and he grinned. “A Star Swirl! Fancy that! It’s not everyday you meet a Star Swirl! This is just brilliant!”

“You know what me being a Star Swirl means?” asked Star Swirl as she raised her eyebrows in shock.

“Of course! You’re a descendant of Star Swirl the Bearded! Brilliant chap!”

“You know Star Swirl the Bearded! Wow!”

“Of course I do. As I said, he was just brilliant!”

“Okay. So...my next question is...who are you?”

“Oh. I’m the Doctor.”

“Doctor who?”

“Just the Doctor should be fine...”

“No! It’s not fine! I know lots of doctors! I gave you my full name! Why can’t you give me yours!?”

“Well, if you must know, my full name is Doctor Time Turner Hooves, though I’m sometimes affectionately referred to as ‘Doctor Whooves’, so you’re welcome to call me that if you want to.”

“...I’ll call you Doctor Time Turner Hooves,” replied Star Swirl. “So, what are you a doctor of anyway?”

“Temporal mechanics,” replied Doctor Whooves.

Star Swirl raised an eyebrow. “What does that involve?”

“A surprisingly large amount of running, among other things.”

“All right,” sighed Star Swirl. “Let me get to the point. I wanted to talk to you because I saw your cutie mark and back when I lived in Canterlot, I heard...rumours.”

“I suppose that it would make sense for you to hear certain rumours,” said Doctor Whooves. “Why don’t we get a bit further out of sight.” He led her further down the alley. “So what kind of rumours did you hear?”

“Well...I heard that the Canterlot Archives have a wing named after Star Swirl the Bearded where they keep his most secret and dangerous spells. And that this includes a branch of magic that he invented himself.”

“Go on.”

“I heard that this branch of magic was time magic. And that after he invented time magic, it became possible for unicorns to develop a special talent for using time magic...and that their cutie mark would then be an hourglass.”

“You are brilliant. You know that? Because you are. Yes, you are.”

“I’ve...seen unicorns with hourglass cutie marks before...but this is the first time that I’ve seen one on a non-unicorn. So, I was wondering...If the rumours were true...how did you end up with a cutie mark for using time magic?”

“Because you assumed that only unicorns could get a cutie mark like that?”

“Well...yes!”

“Normally that would be true, but due to the nature of how I earned my cutie mark, it doesn’t apply to me and neither does it apply to some of my former classmates, now my colleagues. So, you’d like to hear how I earned my cutie mark?”

“Yes, please!”

“Well, I don’t know if you know this, but young unicorns occasionally have these magic surges.”

“I’ve read about them, yes.” Star Swirl nodded.

“Reading doesn’t prepare you, let me tell you that! I have two unicorn fillies and trust me, it’s a nightmare. Thankfully one’s a young adult now herself so I don’t have to worry about that happening to her anymore. Anyway, back when I was in school, my class was busy playing together outside when a friend and now colleague of mine, maybe you know her? She lives here in Ponyville and was one of the Princess’s bridesmaids.”

“Colgate Minuette?” asked Star Swirl as her eyes widened.

“That’s her. Brilliant mare that. She has this little trick of knowing exactly how long it’ll take her to perform any task or travel any distance, so she’s never late. Nor is she early. She arrives precisely when she means to. I tend to get too distracted to pull that off, even despite the fact that I always know down to the nanosecond what the time is. Anyway, she had a magic surge while we were playing. One thing you may not know is that the magic surge closest to when a unicorn earns their cutie mark tends to be the most extreme and tends to relate to their special talent and let me tell you that a large scale surge of time magic is not a pleasant thing to deal with. The class was scattered around time and Equestria. Now, we are trained to deal with situations like that, but it can take a while for retrieval to collect everypony.”

“You’re trained?” asked Star Swirl.

“Of course. We may have day jobs, but we aren’t going to allow a pony who can travel though time to do as they please before teaching them how to control their powers and offering them a chance to work for the government. That’s how Princess Cadance knew Colgate after all. Anyway, before we were picked up, some of us had some interesting adventures and decided that we liked time travel. I myself ended up in Appleloosa just before the buffalo attack. We enjoyed it so much, that some of us, even some non-unicorns, ended up with hourglass cutie marks. Then our natural pegasus and earth pony magic adapted itself to perform similar functions to time spells. I’m pretty good at it. My unusual way of using time magic has made me the best in Celestia’s service. Still, even those who didn’t end up earning their cutie marks there were still affected. My wife was actually the closest to the surge, and since being thrown into the future of Ponyville to witness the beginning of a Cutie Pox outbreak, one of her eyes always sees the world as it was 18.3598672 seconds earlier. Messed up her coordination a bit and she usually has to point the eye elsewhere for most tasks.”

“So...what you’re saying is that a cutie mark can give abilities beyond what the pony would normally be capable of?” asked Star Swirl as she glanced nervously at her flank.

Doctor Whooves frowned. “Why do you ask?”

“I was wondering if I’d be able to use unicorn spells if I’d earned my cutie mark in uniocrn magic.

Doctor Whooves frowned as he quickly looked at her flank. “But you didn’t earn a cutie mark for that.”

“Yes. Deep down I know that even if I’m not yet sure what it does mean.” Star Swirl lowered her head.

“But you’d be able to work out what it meant if you were to truly think about it.”

“I...suppose so...but...Hey! You can travel through time, right!?” Star Swirl eagerly raised her head and widened her eyes.

“Yes, I can.”

“Can you take others with you?”

“I actually prefer to have companions on my journeys, so that’s a yes.”

“Well, I’d like to see Star Swirl the Bearded because I have the same cutie mark as him!”

“I know that you have the same cutie mark as him.”

“You know?”

“I’ve seen him before.”

“Well, I have to meet him! Even though I could work out the true meaning of my cutie mark eventually, I want to meet him anyway! He’s my role model!”

“Are you sure?” asked Doctor Whooves.

“Of course!”

“Then wait here.” He began walking forward and glowing before fading away. Star Swirl stared at the last point she saw him with widened eyes and a slack jaw. Suddenly, he was by her side again, this time wearing a cloak. He threw another one over her. “Dress warmly. You’ll need it where we’re going.” He gently placed a hoof against her barrel and pushed. Everything disappeared in a whirl of blue.

---

When Star Swirl could see again, she found herself in a stone room. She was also freezing. She lifted her head to look around. Doctor Whooves had turned blue and was dimly glowing. She looked back at her hooves to discover that the same was true of herself. In the corner of the room, somepony in a brown cloak was sitting at a desk, reading and writing. Star Swirl got to her feet just as the door to the room flung open.

“Claver se Apert! Wher aren thou? Ik ofgangan eouwer hineheden!” cried a unicorn wearing a long cloak and a crown as she barged in. “Ik aren chald an baudy! Bayne me an conveyen me! Ik wuschen arecchen thou!”

“She’s speaking Classical Equestrian!” gasped Star Swirl.

“Uh uh!” said Doctor Whooves. “It was called Unicornian at this time.”

“Ik honouren your wuschens, Aldera,” said the brown cloaked pony as she got up from her desk and quickly levitated over a bucket which she filled with water.

“But I don’t understand what they’re saying!”

“Oh!” said Doctor Whooves. “Of course! Easily solved though.” He tapped her once again with his hoof and a ringing filed her ears before clearing again. “Now you’ll hear them in the closest equivalent modern language.”

The bucket of water landed in front of the crowned unicorn and the cloaked one began to concentrate as the water started to bubble and steam. The crowned unicorn dipped a hoof into the water.

“This is acceptable. I’ll discuss the matters at hoof while you attend to me, Clover.”

“Yes, Princess,” replied Clover before the Princess’s cloak floated away and Clover began scrubbing the royal fur.

“They’re Clover the Clever and Princess Platinum!” Star Swirl gasped.

“Once again, you are brilliant,” said Doctor Whooves.

“The earth ponies and pegasi refused to cooperate with me, so I have made alternate arrangements.”

“Did you try being polite like I suggested, Princess?” asked Clover.

“My other advisors said that we needed to show those uncivilised brutes their place,” replied Platinum as she lifted her muzzle.

“Your Highness,” Clover said, “I requested permission to accompany you because I felt that I would be able to help negotiate a diplomatic solution.”

“And while I missed having you with me, I agreed with Father that you were more needed here, searching for a solution to all this cold. However, the good news is that I spoke to him on my way here and he agrees that you should accompany me on my next mission!”

“And what mission is that, Princess?”

“Our mission to discover a new land for the unicorns to settle, of course!”

Clover gasped. “You’re planning mass emigration, Princess?!”

“It’s certainly better than waiting here!”

“But finding a new land capable of supporting us will be very difficult, Princess,” Clover protested. “Where will we find a land with enough food to feed us all? We can’t grow it ourselves!”

“There must be a fitting land out there somewhere,” replied Platinum as she dismissively waved a hoof. “I’ll find it soon enough. Now, I need you to start organising the expedition. I’ve already discussed it with Father. It’s been decided that we can only afford an expedition size of twenty.”

“Twenty!?” Clover gasped. “That’s it!? Your Highness, is such a small size even safe?!”

“We’ll be fine,” said Platinum dismissively. “We’ll include a large number of guards. In addition to being my personal assistant, you shall be the scholar and head mage.”

“Me, Princess!?” asked Clover as she pointed to herself with a hoof. “Don’t you think that it would be better if somepony more qualified...”

“No!” growled Platinum. “We don’t have the space. Nor do we have the resources to support a middle-aged academic travelling through poor weather! We know that he’s asked to be let out, but Father and I agree that he needs to stay in the library where he is safe and actually doing something useful! You are welcome to speak to Star Swirl the Bearded about this, but he is not leaving his library until we fetch him and bring him along with the rest of the Unicorn Kingdom to the new land!”

“May I speak to him now, Princess?” asked Clover as she lowered her head.

“Isn’t he teaching a class at the moment?”

“He is, but I can wait for it to end.”

“Then you may go as soon as I’m dressed again.”

“So, can’t we interact with them?” asked Star Swirl.

“Not using this particular type of magic. Watch,” Doctor Whooves replied before walking right up to Platinum. “You know, you’re so thick! You’re Miss Thick Thickety Thickface from Thicktown, Thickania. And so’s your dad. See, nothing here.” He pressed a hoof through Platinum’s head which passed right through. Star Swirl facehooved at the blatant disrespect to a former government leader.

Clover quickly dried and dressed her Princess before opening the door and walking into a passageway.

“I think that we’ll want to follow her,” said Doctor Whooves as he led Star Swirl into the passageway.

---

They followed Clover through the passages. As they passed shivering, malnourished unicorns, Doctor Whooves would mutter, “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

They eventually arrived at a door. The door swung open with the power of Clover’s magic to reveal a room full of bookshelves. She slowly walked in as Star Swirl and Doctor Whooves followed. A voice filled the air. “And so, due to the roundness of the planet...”

Star Swirl turned to face the voice and gasped. There, standing with his large eyebrows raised at the sudden intrusion was Star Swirl the bearded. He was wearing his usual outfit, but his beard had not yet turned grey. It was still the same pinkish purple of his modern descendant’s mane. He was standing in front of a small group of foals and pointing his hoof at a diagram of the solar system. “...Um...right, because of the roundness of the planet, it is always sunrise somewhere and sunset somewhere else and we unicorns are responsible for maintaining daylight at the right times for the entire planet. But we still need to sleep, which is why we charge our telekinesis with extra magic to allow for long term periods of rotation. This is why the whole planet is dependent on us unicorns. Any questions?”

“Why do we need to move the moon?” asked one foal.

“Well, that is because the moon is important for the tides, which I’ll be teaching you about tomorrow,” replied his teacher. “And I believe that that’s all we have time for today. It seems that another student of mine wishes to speak to me.” The foals packed up and left the library as their teacher approached Clover. “It’s so annoying having to insert so much propaganda into my lessons, but I can’t really afford to give the king and his advisors reason to restrict my freedom any more than they already have,” the stallion sighed. “But what brings you here, Clover? I thought that you’d still be attending to Princess Platinum. Your next lesson isn’t supposed to be until this evening. Unless the Princess wants another schedule change?”

“No, it’s not that, Master. Did you hear about how the negotiations with the earth ponies and pegasi failed?”

“I suspected as much,” replied Star Swirl with a roll of his eyes. “But they of course want us here. Partially because I’m too ‘valuable to risk’ and partially because they don’t like the fact that I’m actually interested in non-unicorns. If only they knew that a large number of the spells that I invented were based on the magic of other species. The opportunity to study the pegasi and earth ponies would provide a great leap in my research, but instead, I’m stuck here where I’m ‘safe’.”

“I’m sorry, Master,” replied Clover. “But I have more bad news. Princess Platinum is organising an expedition to find a new land for us to settle. And she says that you can’t come.”

“Of course.”

“She says that they don’t have enough space. The expedition will only be twenty ponies.”

“Twenty!? May as well be two. This has disaster written all over it. Though I have to admit that the Princess is probably right about me not being the best choice. I’m not as fit as I used to be. And while my magic is diverse, you know that it isn’t particularly powerful. I’m a teacher, not a warrior. The foals need me.”

“But I need you too!” cried Clover. “I’m supposed to go on this mission as well! Without you! The Princess wants me to be the expedition mage! I’m not ready for that! Especially if it means that I can’t learn from you while I’m gone!”

Star Swirl looked down at her and smiled. “Clover, I am an excellent magic teacher, if I do say so myself. After all, my special talent is to understand and explain magic.”

“Of course!” gasped his descendant.

“When, King Silver asked me to send my best student to be his daughter’s personal assistant, I chose you because that is what you were and still are,” her ancestor continued in oblivion. “You also were able to grasp some of my teachings that few other unicorns have. The ones on how we are dependent on the other tribes. I have moulded you from a talented filly, to a brilliant mage beyond even my own son. There’s a reason they call you ‘the Clever’. Trust your mentor when he tells you that you are wrong about this, for you are ready for something like this. Just remember what I taught you. With you in a position of authority, this mission actually has a decent chance of success.”

“Thank you, Master,” said Clover as she raised her head and smiled as tears filled her eyes. “I’ll miss you.”

“And I’ll miss you. So hurry back when you find this place. Also because I’m bored and hungry. Did I tell you how they gave me a plum for one of my rations!?”

“Yes, Master. You did.”

“Plums! I hate plums! They get their juice all over my lovely books! If we do end up moving, I’m going to cast a spell on my new library that makes it impossible to bring plums into it!”

“This chap hates plums as much as I hate pears,” said Doctor Whooves. “Or apples. Apples are rubbish. This filly once forced me to buy an apple. Luckily the rest of my family eats them.”

“Are you insulting the fruit grown by Applejack Apple, Bearer of the Element of Honesty?” growled Star Swirl.

Doctor Whooves was spared from answering however as the past Star Swirl continued, “Well, I’m sure that you have a lot of preparation to do and a lot more goodbyes. We can have a better, happier one, closer to the time. My son will want one as well. He’ll also miss you a lot.”

“Star will miss me?” asked Clover. “I thought that he was jealous of me for beating him in every test you gave us.”

Her teacher laughed. “That isn’t what he feels any more. Now get to it. Your homework is to enjoy the rest of your time at the Unicorn Kingdom.”

“Thank you, Master.” Clover left the room and Star Swirl returned to his books.

“Wait!” cried the modern Star Swirl. “Time magic is an entire branch according to the rumours, so this can’t be the only time spell, right?”

“Yes. There are many others, but I felt that this would be the most applicable to the situation,” replied Doctor Whooves.

“I want to talk to him!” she cried. “Can you do that?”

“There’s a spell that will allow that, but you won’t be able to change anything, it’ll only last a few moments and you’ll become immune to any future castings.”

“Use it! Please!”

“Fine.” He tapped his hoof against her and instantly disappeared along with her blue glow, which was replaced with a much brighter white one which blasted wind and sparks into the library before vanishing again. She looked like her normal self again.

“What are you doing in my library!? How did you get here!?” asked Star Swirl the Bearded as he stared at her with wide eyes. His horn began to glow and her body was covered in the same aura. “Interesting.”

“I’m from the future! I’m your descendant!” she cried.

“An earth pony?! My descendant?! I see that you do have my cutie mark and my mane colour. And I’ve never felt magic like this before!”

“Please, I wanted to talk to you.”

“Oh, that’ll be a great idea. To hear all about the future. But this magic is fascinating. I can sense how space-time is completely distorted around you. Now, applying the concept that space-time acts as a stretchable, four-dimensional membrane, this means that magic can be used to stretch space-time in a way to connect unrelated points within the space-time membrane.”

“Yes, I did notice that when it was used on me...”

“So, you aren’t the caster?!”

“Well, no. It was used on me. It is completely out of my ability. Time magic is the special talent of the one who brought me here...”

“Time magic?! So a whole field then!? Yes! I can see how various applications of the distortions could be formed using slight variations in the magic. And this could be used to find various ways of overcoming paradox. Is this the only time spell that you’ve experienced?”

“No, it’s the second...”

“Confirmation that multiple spells are involved! Excellent! This will be great for my research! Finally! Something new to occupy myself with! So, did the same pony cast both spells upon you?”

“Well, it was his magic both times, but...” She poofed and suddenly, she was once again glowing blue and a laughing Doctor Whooves was visible and audible.

“I’m sorry!” he laughed as the older Star Swirl glanced around in confusion. “I’m so, so sorry! But this is just like what happened when Twilight experimented with time and she had me laughing as well! She tries to warn her past self of something and never gets the words out! Not to mention that this spell causes a time-loop and like all time magic, can’t change the past. Still, it appears that I have you to thank for inspiring Star Swirl the Bearded to invent time spells.”

“I can never talk to him again, right?”

“No. We can’t always get what we want. For example, I want a ginger mane, but its current dark colour doesn’t work well with dye.Though sometimes what we can get is surprising. For example, I accidently caused my wife to miss her Best Young Fliers contest, but I was able to arrange for a colleague to take her to the future to enter a different one.”

Star Swirl smiled. “It was enough. I’ve spoken to him and finally know what my cutie mark means. I can return to modern Ponyville now. I know what I need to do.”

Doctor Whooves smiled and tapped her with his hoof once again.

A/N: My Middle English is probably awful, but I tried. Here’s what they’re supposed to be saying:

“Clover the Clever! Where are you? I require your services! I am cold and dirty! Bathe me and accompany me! I wish to speak to you!”

“I honour your wishes, Princess.”

Star Swirl’s hatred of plums comes from the excellent fic, Words Failed Her. King Silver seems to be a popular name for Platinum’s father and I like it. So, Star Swirl’s talent is finally revealed to those who hadn’t worked it out, though as others have said before, she’d have worked it out eventually herself. How easy this would have been will be apparent next chapter. Which brings me to my next point. Next chapter is the last of this fic. I’ll put up a blog post about my plans for future fics as well as background to this one though.