• Published 29th May 2012
  • 5,532 Views, 235 Comments

An Earth Pony's Guide to Magic - Sereg



Star Swirl wishes to live up to her namesake's reputation but how can she do so as an earth pony?

  • ...
11
 235
 5,532

Study Three: The Pie Family Rock Farm

A/N: Once again, thank you all for the support. One thing that happened in the comments is something that I feel the need to address though. It was pointed out that this fic could seem anti-transexuality. It was never intended to be as such. The moral, as the letter at the end of the story will indicate (and which I’m undecided who should write) deals with a far more common and mundane situation and I consider it to be far more in line with the show. Also, I recently noticed that this fic has been mentioned elsewhere. Thank you for the honour! To address a couple of your concerns though, the reason that Star Swirl has a cutie mark yet doesn’t understand it will be addressed at the end. I can say that it’s fairly simple though and has to do with a lack of self-acceptance. In the last chapter, Applejack was trying to politely say, “Yes, you kind of suck, but I’ve seen others who suck more than you do, so you’re not a total lost cause”. It’s understandable that Star Swirl seems a bit like a self-insert as I put a couple of my character traits into every character I use and Star Swirl got more than normal. We have a lot in common, but she’d be insulted by the comparison as I’m a procrastinating slob and she isn’t. There is more than enough difference between the two of us to easily tell us apart when it comes to personality. Anyway, this chapter and chapter six are probably going to be the two most controversial chapters. Speaking of chapter six, as I’d hoped, It’s About Time made what I want to do for six a lot more justifiable. ;P


Study Three: The Pie Family Rock Farm

“So, Star Swirl, how was your week?” asked Dr. Drop.

“Better than I’ve had for a while, even if it still came with some disappointments,” replied Star Swirl.

“Oh?” asked Dr. Drop. “Did you visit Ponyville like I suggested?”

“I did,” replied Star Swirl with a smile. “I like it there! I even got to meet some of the bearers of the Elements of Harmony! Including Twilight Sparkle, Bearer of the Element of Magic herself! I’m not done though. There’s still so much to learn there!”

“So you found it an educational experience?” asked Dr. Drop. “Did it help you find the answers that you were looking for?”

“It started to,” replied Star Swirl. “I’ve already begun to learn, but there’s so much I still have to learn!”

“And how do you feel about that?” asked Dr. Drop as she gazed over her glasses.

“Excited!” replied Star Swirl as she sat up with a large grin.

“Excellent!” said Dr. Drop. “It sounds like you are making wonderful progress!”

“Well, I’d still hoped to be making better progress than I have,” Star Swirl confessed as she dropped her smile. “I don’t seem to have much talent for growing plants. That discovery caused me to have an episode. And I’m a bit too clumsy to make potions safely. Not that I’d mind if it was only my safety at risk, but what if I made a mistake with the potion and ruined it!?”

Dr. Drop frowned. “You shouldn’t devalue yourself that way, Star Swirl,” she said. “You are precious and don’t believe anypony who says otherwise, not even yourself.”

“All right,” sighed Star Swirl.

“So, I guess that you are going to spend the next week in Ponyville as well?” Dr. Drop asked with a smile.

“Actually, I’m spending the next week at a rock farm,” replied Star Swirl.

“A rock farm?!” asked Dr. Drop as her eyes widened. “Are you hoping to discover a talent with rock farming?”

“Well, that would be nice,” said Star Swirl. “but I doubt that that will happen. Star Swirl the Bearded wasn’t a rock farmer, so I doubt that our talent is specific to rock farming. I’m mainly there to investigate the upbringing of Pinkamena Diane Pie, Bearer of the Element of Laughter as I’m hoping to discover more about how her abilities work.”

“I see,” said Dr. Drop.

“Yes. Everything will be great. I’ve already found out about how they supply several jewellers and I’ve prepared everything for my journey. Twilight Sparkle, Bearer of the Element of Magic even gave me a checklist to make sure that I was ready!” She pulled out a scroll. “I’m so having this framed when I’m finished using it! Item one, read checklist, check! Item two...”

“I’m sure that you have prepared perfectly adequately,” Dr. Drop interrupted her with a raised hoof.

“Um...well, Pinkamena Diane Pie, Bearer of the Element of Laughter says that we also need to have a party before we leave. I haven’t done that yet. She also says that we need to have another one when we arrive. She wanted to have one at the halfway point, but Twilight Sparkle, Bearer of the Element of Magic said that we’d never get there if we had as many parties as Pinkamena Diane Pie, Bearer of the Element of Laughter wanted us to have.”

“I see,” replied Dr. Drop, “But you still plan to enjoy yourself?”

“Of course!” replied Star Swirl. “I’m going to learn more earth pony magic! Then, I’ll prove myself a worthy successor to Star Swirl the Bearded!”

“I’m glad that you’re enthusiastic and optimistic,” said Dr. Drop with a touch of caution in her voice, “but please don’t take it badly if you end up disappointed. Remember that things don’t always go according to plan.”

“True,” sighed Star Swirl as her face fell, “but I’m going to do my best.”

“That’s the spirit,” Dr. Drop smiled.

---

“We’re travelling together!
On a road trip!
We’ll see the place where I grew up
It isn’t a quip!
My family will love you!
I can’t wait to see!
To show a friend around,
Is so special to me!”

Pinkie jumped up and wiggled her legs in the air as she finished her song.

“So when was the last time you visited your family?” asked Star Swirl.

“Last week,” replied Pinkie with a grin. “I stopped over to let them know that you were coming. They’re always ready for a sudden visit from me, but I usually arrive alone.”

“So, you visit pretty regularly?” asked Star Swirl.

“I suppose,” replied Pinkie. “Ponyville’s my home now though, so it’s just occasional visits. I’ve got lots of friends that I need to visit too!”

“And do they sometimes visit Ponyville?” asked Star Swirl.

“Inkie says that it’s difficult for them to visit because it’s a journey that takes hours,” replied Pinkie.

“Inkie?” asked Star Swirl.

“The older of my sisters,” explained Pinkie.

“Ah, Inkabella Susan Pie,” said Star Swirl with a smile.

“That’s right!” said Pinkie.

“But wouldn’t the journey take the same amount of time for you?”

“No,” replied Pinkie. “Whenever I want to go there, I just do!”

“What do you mean?” asked Star Swirl as she raised an eyebrow.

“I mean that I just pop off into a place that’s out of sight, like inside a box or something and then I’ll crawl out from under a rock or something and I’ll be there!”

“But...How?...How did you get there?”

“I just did!”

“I guess that I need to think about this some more before formulating a hypothesis,” Star Swirl muttered as she tapped her chin.


---

The scenery turned to a grey, flat plain, almost lifeless bar the scattered trees as they journeyed on. Star Swirl could not blame Pinkie for her boredom and attempts to add some excitement to the journey. Eventually, signs of habitation in the forms of small, wooden buildings and a steel water tower appeared on the horizon. As they approached, they saw that the area around the buildings were littered with rocks. The rocks were being pushed around by four ponies whose colouration was dull enough to blend into the background.

“We’re here!” cried Pinkie before she charged towards the building in a pink blur. She scooped the other pones together in a group hug and led them back towards Star Swirl. “Everyone, this is Star Swirl!” Pinkie introduced her. “Star, these are Inkie, Blinkie and my mom and dad!”

“Nice to meet you,” Star Swirl said with a smile and a nod. “I’m Star Swirl the Hundred and Forty Seventh. You must be Clydenselio Daniel Pie, Suzetta Nadine Pie, Blinkavera Vivian Pie and...” she turned to the dark grey young mare at the back of the group who appeared to be trying to hide behind her mane and Pinkie had pointed out as Inkie, “Inkabella Susan Pie.”

“That’s us all right!” said the even younger looking mare with a lighter coat and a smile. “Don’t worry about Inkie, she’ll be fine once she gets to know you. And feel free to call us by our nicknames. Our full names are a bit of a mouthful, even if it is tradition for them to be.”

“Welcome to our rock farm,” said the yellowish brown stallion with facial hair. “It’s always nice to know that Pinkamena has made so many friends since she moved out. Blinkavera, please show her to the guest room.”

“Sure!” said the younger mare and she indicated that Star Swirl should follow her. As they walked into the house, she started speaking again. “So you’re Star Swirl the Hundred and Forty Seventh?” she asked. “Does that mean that you were named after Star Swirl the Bearded?”

Star Swirl’s eyes gleamed and she smiled as she replied, “Yes, I was! I’m his descendant!”

“Really!?” asked Blinkie. “I don’t suppose you know if he really had a staff or if that was just artistic licence on the part of the Daring Do series?”

Star Swirl giggled, remembering that book. “Maybe in the later stages of his life,” she replied. “He did live a long time, after all. But I really doubt that it would have been a magical artefact or that you would need to bypass a lot of traps to get it or any pieces of it.”

“True,” Blinkie giggled back. “I’m aware that archaeology is less glamorous than Daring makes it seem. But I still enjoy studying it. I like precious things that come from the ground after all.” She pointed at her flank which had a block of gold ore pictured on it. “And here’s the room where you’ll be staying!” She opened a door to a small bedroom.

“Thank you. You’re studying archaeology?” asked Star Swirl as she walked into the room before taking off her saddlebags.

“Well, that’s my major,” replied Blinkie as she followed her in. “I do a couple of other sciences as well. Should we head out? Pinkie’s probably convincing Dad to have a party by now.”

“All right,” replied Star Swirl. “I’m eager to see how things are done around here.”

They headed outside, but it seemed that Pinkie had been waiting for their return to begin her attempts to convince her parents. “Right! Now that Blinkie and Star are back, we need to have a party!”

“Pinkamena, you know that we can’t party all the time,” her mother sighed.


“We have to finish moving the rocks from the north field to the east field,” Clyde elaborated.

Pinkie closed her eyes before snapping them open again. “But you’re going to have to move them back tomorrow anyway!”

“Really!?” groaned Blinkie. “I hate it when that happens. It makes me feel like I would’ve been more productive just studying all day.”

“Come on, Dad!” Pinkie begged. “It won’t take long to set up!”

“Pinkie’s prediction means that we can leave most of the rocks on the edge of the field,” Inkie finally spoke up. “It’ll cut off time for both today and tomorrow.”

“Well, if Inkabella says that we can manage that way, then I accept her calculations,” Clyde said. “But it’ll have to be a small one and we’ll need some help around the farm.”

“Okie doki loki!” said Pinkie before she rushed off into the shed and returned with...a second Pinkie Pie. Star Swirl’s jaw dropped, but Pinkie’s family didn’t even blink as the two Pinkie Pies joined them pushing rocks across the ground.

“How...? Why...? Who...? Why are there...?” began Star Swirl.

“We don’t get it either,” explained Blinkie, “but we’ve come to expect this sort of thing from her.”

“But, Pinkamena Diane Pie, Bearer of the Element of Laughter, how are you doing this?!” asked Star Swirl.

“Oh, I just go somewhere over there,” said one of the Pinkies waving vaguely into the distance, “And then I’m here and there!”

“But that doesn’t make any sense!” cried Star Swirl.

“She’s Pinkie,” Blinkie shrugged. “Making sense isn’t something she does very often.”

---

“All right, it’s time to party!” cried Pinkie as she swung open the door to the barn.

“But the barn isn’t ready yet,” protested Star Swirl as she peeked inside.

“Not a problem for my party cannon!” cried Pinkie as she reached out and pulled a canon out of nowhere and pressed a button, covering the room in decorations and confetti.

“How did you...?” began Star Swirl. “Where did you get that from? You didn’t bring anything!”

“I saw that I needed it, so I fetched it,” replied Pinkie.

Inkie seemed to come out of her shell a bit more at the party, putting on a fancy hat and dancing along with everypony else, but Star Swirl still felt a larger connection with Blinkie. “So Pinkamena Diane Pie, Bearer of the Element of Laughter can just pull objects out from a location that is unapparent?” she asked her.

“I guess so,” Blinkie shrugged. “I’m pretty used to it. I don’t even think of her as an element bearer. To me, she’s just Pinkie. My big sister.”

“I suppose that the extreme familiarity dulls the sense of wonder,” Star Swirl guessed.

“I guess so,” replied Blinkie. “But we still realise that she’s pretty amazing. She does throw great parties. She taught us all how to smile. And her visits are pretty productive to the farm as well. You’d have to ask Inkie how much. She’s the farm accountant after all.” She ended with a smile.

“Because of the extra pair of hooves?” asked Star Swirl with a raised eyebrow.

“Well, that does help,” Blinkie admitted. “But Pinkie is not as physically strong as we are. She left the farm fairly young. She didn’t develop muscles that are as strong as we’ve had to develop to shatter rock. Nor is she as good at drawing strength from the earth.”

“You can do that!?” asked Star Swirl.

“Of course,” replied Blinkie. “That’s part of being an earth pony. But Pinkie’s muscles aren’t what make her useful to the farm.”

“You mean her ability to be in more than one place at a time?”

“Again, that’s useful,” Blinkie shrugged. “But it’s not what I’m talking about. We rock farmers learn to sense the magical currents that flow through the earth.”

“Like the ones produced by earth pony hooves when they want to grow plants?”

“I believe that it’s similar, but on a more massive scale,” Blinkie replied. “We have to move the rocks that we mine around so that they stay within the flow. That makes the gems and minerals within the rocks grow faster. Pinkie has always been exceptionally good at sensing these flows. And after she got her cutie mark, she could sense not just where they are now, but where they will be in the future.

“Her...advice allows us to plan ahead...more effectively and optimise...our movement strategies,” Inkie added as she walked over. “It reduces...wastage and increases...productivity.” She looked at the wonder in Star Swirl’s eyes and turned away with a blush.

“Could you teach me to do that!?” asked Star Swirl.

“Draw strength from the ground and feel the flow of magic?” asked Blinkie. “Sure. But I’ve got no idea how Pinkie does what she does and she’s never managed to explain it to anypony.”

“Thank you!” said Star Swirl. “And I know what you mean. When I ask her how she does what she does, it almost sounds like she doesn’t know either!”

“That does sound like Pinkie!” Blinkie smiled.


---

The next morning, Star Swirl was led to a field of large boulders.

“These are the boulders that Inkie says are ready to be cracked open,” Blinkie informed her. “So they’re great for practice. Why don’t you give a demonstration, Inkie?”

Inkie blushed and turned her head so that her mane covered more of her face. “Alright,” she said. “Just feel...the strength of the earth beneath your hooves. Then draw it into your body...Let the earth’s strength...become your strength.” She lifted up her head and bucked with her back legs, shattering the boulder behind her and spraying the ground with gems.

“Wow!” gasped Star Swirl.

“Ooooh! Can I grab a few for Rarity and Spikey-wikey? They’d love some of these!” said Pinkie after she ran right up to the pile of gems.

“Sure Pinkie,” said Inkie. “That should be fine.”

“Okie doki loki!” Pinkie grabbed a few and rushed off.

“Right,” said Star Swirl. “I can try that!” She closed her eyes and focused on the ground below her. Once again, she felt a flood of comprehension. She could feel the strength that Inkie was talking about. She began to draw it up her legs to the rest of her body. Unfortunately, that proved to be far more difficult. Sweat collected on her crest as she grimaced with strain. Once she had managed all she was capable of, she let out a breath and bucked. “OW!” she cried. She wobbled away from the now superficially cracked boulder on three legs. “That hurt!...A lot!”

Pinkie’s sisters winced sympathetically. “Maybe you should stick with hammers and pickaxes,” suggested Blinkie.

“Another form of magic that I’m not good at,” Star Swirl sighed. “But I still want to continue the lesson. Please teach me to sense the flow of magic like you mentioned yesterday.”

“Okay,” said Blinkie. “If you’re sure. Like before, you have to feel the earth beneath you, but this time, you’re feeling for its pulse and following it. Feeling all the energy within it and what it’s doing with that energy.”

Star Swirl tenderly lowered her injured hoof to the ground and closed her eyes, letting out a breath. She once again she felt the earth. Once again she quickly understood what she had been told. Better than before. Much better. She. Felt. Everything! She mentally scolded herself for that hyperbole, but it was understandable after suddenly experiencing something like this for the first time. Finally! She had finally discovered a form of magic that she was really, really good at! The flows of magic that Blinkie mentioned were so obvious, they were barely worth commenting on. She could feel them even from beyond the horizon. She noted the vortices in their flow, their width and depth and speed. She could easily track the energy as it moved along the path. And that was merely the beginning! The magic radiated out of the stream as falloff and bathed the surroundings. She could feel the individual leaves, the composition of each boulder, the hoofprints of each member of the Pie family. She opened her eyes with a gasp and let go of the connection.

“That was amazing!”she cried. She really couldn’t hold it for long. The strain of spreading her mind over such a large area was too much. But it had been worth it. She’d found a form of magic that she excelled in. And she could use it any time her hooves touched the ground. Also, she finally understood Pinkie sense. It was so simple. Merely a variation of what she had been taught here at the rock farm. Like herself, Pinkie was clearly gifted in this form of magic, though she doubted that even Pinkie had her scale. Still, Pinkie had managed to feel the phenomena the magic picked up even before they happened. The strain on her mind had to be incredible. But of course, Pinkie had managed to spread the strain over her entire body rather than containing it in her mind. It was impressive and Star Swirl instantly knew that these two tricks were beyond her. As good as she was with the basic form of the ability, she could never handle the strain to twist its applications in ways like that. It was sad, yet she was still happy to finally have an area in which to excel. But there was no way that she was done with her studies. In fact, this ability should only make the task easier.


---

The next day, they went down the mine shaft. “Tell us where to dig, Blinkavera,” asked Clyde.

“Give me a moment,” Blinkie requested. She walked up to the wall of the mine and pressed a hoof against it. She closed her eyes and began tapping along the walls. “Here!” she cried, opening her eyes. “The deposit extends in this direction. This is where the best rocks are!”

“I’ll grab the picks!” Pinkie offered zooming out of sight. This time, Star Swirl closed her eyes and felt for the magic once again. Pinkie was fast, but she was easy to find through this sense. She felt Pinkie stop next to the picks. Then, something weird happened. Pinkie’s body connected to the earth like her own had. Then the felt he earth beneath Pinkie somehow fold, yet not fold at the same time. The fold felt more primal, more basic, more fundamental, more in the background. She hadn’t noticed this before, but it was as if Pinkie was interacting with the earth’s own earth. The fold snapped back again. This all took place in a far shorter period than a second, but everything hadn’t returned to normal. No. It was not normal in the slightest. As the fold had snapped back, it distorted into a tube of microscopic thickness which led to the same point at which it began. But not for long, as Pinkie picked up the tools and walked back towards them, the tube lengthened with a Pinkie on each end. No. That wasn’t correct. Star Swirl could feel that now. There weren’t two Pinkies. Only one existed at a time, but this Pinkie flashed from one end of the tube to the other at a mind-boggling speed. A speed so fast, that everything treated her as two ponies. Pinkie walked (if such speeds could be referred to as walking) back into the cavern, giving the impression of being two ponies. She passed out the picks and they began to dig.

This is ground-breaking! thought Star Swirl. I have to consider this some more before deciding what it means!

---

“You wanted to see us, Star Swirl?” Sue asked as Pinkie’s family entered the room.

“Yes,” said Star Swirl as she looked up from the sheets of parchment on which she had hastily written notes and scribbled diagrams. “I believe that I need to speak to you away from Pinkamena Diane Pie, Bearer of the Element of Laughter.”

“Why?” asked Clyde.

“I am trying to better understand her powers, but I believe that if I discuss this with her, it may result in her losing some of them.”

“Really!?” asked Inkie. “Why...would she lose them?”

“It’s just a hypothesis,” Star Swirl admitted. “I’m not sure. That’s why I need to discuss this with you. Have any of you seen her split in two, or appear out of what appeared to be thin air, or the items she fetches appear?”

“Well, no,” Blinkie admitted. “We just see the end results.”

“As I thought,” said Star Swirl. “I believe that those abilities are related and Pinkie can’t perform any of them while being watched.”

“Why not?” asked Sue.

“I believe that it relates to the predictions of the physicists Fine Line and Wizened Birch,” began Star Swirl. “Fine Line discovered that the fabric of space and time could be manipulated and in fact was automatically done so by gravity. I believe that Pinkamena Diane Pie, Bearer of the Element of Laughter is manipulating this fabric to create portals which she uses to manifest these powers.”

“So it’s based on gravity manipulation?” asked Blinkie.

“Possibly,” replied Star Swirl. “I’m still in the early stages of my study. “

“Well, it would make sense as gravity manipulation is the traditional way that earth ponies grip with their hooves,” Blinkie shrugged.

“What!?” cried Star Swirl. “We can grip stuff with our hooves!?”

“Sure,” said Clyde “Only small, light objects, but we can do it.” He walked up to the table and placed one of his hooves on a pencil before lifting it, carrying the pencil with.

Star Swirl’s jaw dropped. “I...Well, that’s useful. I need to learn that some time. Still, this is performed at a rather more complicated scale, manipulating the very fabric of reality including forces which I didn’t believe were possible to interact with. Wizened Birch said that it was impossible to observe such phenomena as the observation would affect it. It was impossible to work out both where they were and what they were doing at the same time. He called this the uncertainty principle. As such, Pinkamena Diane Pie, Bearer of the Element of Laughter can’t manage to manipulate the energies to create these portals while being watched.”

“And why do you think that telling her will cause her to lose these powers?” asked Blinkie.

“I believe that if she realised what she was doing, she would start counting as an observer,” replied Star Swirl.

“So, she can do it because she doesn’t realise what she’s doing?” asked Clyde.

“I believe that that’s part of the explanation, yes,” Star Swirl nodded. “I’m still studying though. This requires more research. Am I correct in my assumption that this began after she gained her cutie mark?”

“That’s right,” replied Sue.

“That makes sense,” said Star Swirl, tapping her chin. “Gaining a cutie mark typically results in a boost in magic strength. Still, I’m sure that there is more to this. I’m going to ask Pinkamena Diane Pie, Bearer of the Element of Laughter for more background.”

---

The next day, Star Swirl approached Pinkie as they headed for the rock field. “So, Pinkamena Diane Pie, Bearer of the Element of Laughter, I was wondering, how did you get your cutie mark?”

“Oh, that’s a super doozy of a story!” squealed Pinkie with a smile. “I was right here on the farm, moving rocks from the south field to the east field when it happened. There was an explosion and a rainbow! It puffed up my hair and gave me a massive smile! I’d never experienced joy like that before! It turns out that it was all because of Rainbow Dash because...”

“Wait!” Star Swirl interrupted. “Rainbow Dash, Bearer of the Element of Loyalty was involved?”

“Yup!” replied Pinkie. “It was her sonic rainboom, after all! That’s what gave me the joy which inspired me to throw a party for my family to get my cutie mark!”

“Do you think she’d be willing to tell me about it?” asked Star Swirl.

“Sure!” replied Pinkie. “Dashie loves talking about her tricks! She’s told the Cutie Mark Crusaders before, after all!”

“Who are they?” asked Star Swirl with a frown.

“Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo,” replied Pinkie. “Don’t you know them? I could introduce you!”

“That will be unnecessary,” Star Swirl replied with a smile. “We have met. I simply was unaware that they had a communal name. I approve! It simplifies things. But now, I need to find out about Rainbow Dash, Bearer of the Element of Loyalty’s sonic rainboom.”

A/N: As most of you have probably guessed, I’m drawing mainly from Ask the Pie Sisters here. However, I did decide to make Inkie the family accountant and Blinkie an archaeology student based on the fanfic Inkblot. I recommend those both. Also, it gave me an excuse to make Blinkie a Daring Do fanfilly. Actually, I see that my resulting interpretation of Inkie is a bit like a female Big Mac. Shy, attractive, doesn’t speak much, good with numbers and the strongest member of their respective families. Also, this chapter comes with Star Swirl’s biggest success so far. I’m assuming that just as unicorns typically learn spells related to their special talent, other ponies also have any magic related to their special talents boosted. Anyway, we’ll be back in Ponyville soon after the start of the next chapter. While I only need Fluttershy in chapter 5, I’d like to have her turn up for a bit in chapter 4 as well as she’s my second favourite and could do with more screen time. I’ve got ideas for her last name, but I’m still taking suggestions (the same applies to just about anypony).