• Published 19th Sep 2015
  • 5,728 Views, 781 Comments

I, Chrysalis - Scarheart



Imprisoned, Queen Chrysalis writes the story of her life, her legacy. But not for those pathetic ponies! Gifted with a daughter, she cherishes what could be the last changeling she will ever interact with...

  • ...
25
 781
 5,728

Chapter XXVII

Author's Note:

Seems appropriate...

My apologies for such a long delay in getting the chapter out! I was a bit worn from writing and I never thought it would take this long to get back into the swing of things.

This story is coming to its conclusion... soon.

Edited by Chapter 13 and TuxOKC.

War comes. War always comes. To lead others into conflict must be done while leading from the front. Sending others to die for your cause is vanity. Taalia was a vain queen. She was also a warrior queen. She was a confusing lesson; one moment she orders those she cares not if they live or die to fight a part of her battle while she leads her favored soldiers in another part of the battlefield. Her fodder were the troops from fallen hives, slaves who could do nothing other than do her bidding. Such traitors betrayed their former queens because they were offered life in exchange for their treachery.

It was always the weak-willed who followed her. Those with a spine had them broken. Taalia wanted willing slaves who would bend to her will and die at her whim. Her Ravagers devoured the glory in victory while her victims took up both sides of the conflict.

I never knew where I stood with her. All I knew was I hated her. I hated what she was and what she did. She was a blight to the changeling race, yet she had been granted immortality by the Twin Queens.

Why?

They warned her to do no harm to me, yet she did that.

Why?

They bestowed upon me some grand quest, one which I took on as a means to escape Taalia.

Why?

I cannot count the things taught to me that are terrible, yet I use them freely. I look upon others as tools, some more useful than others. The Hunger and the Void, I was told, forces us changelings to be cruel in the name of survival.

Why?

The ponies and their belief in Harmony confounds me. I do not understand it. They help each other. The strong lend a hoof to the weak. There are no cullings. There is love in this land. Love is such a rare and precious commodity on the Savannah. Love, it is written in words far older than my kind, can fill what is empty and make a heart bleed for others. Here, I have found one pony who is willing to love me as a friend, frustrating as I am to her. She vexes me as much as I vex her. She wants what I have. A child of her own. She… trusts me.

Why?

I don’t know what to believe anymore.


Chrysalis could feel the magic flow from her and she could hear the sounds of violence happening in the courtyard behind her. Even though her eyes were open, she could not see. Her ears twitched, but remained upright and rigid for the most part. Her breathing was heavy and labored. Exerting such power was painful, sapping her strength and making each exhale end in a painful wheeze. The Hunger grew within and the Void widened. Such power demanded sacrifice. Changeling magic was a curse.

It made Chrysalis feel alive even as it devoured her from within.

Shards of her magic streaked through the sky, seeking out more of those who pretended to be what they were not. The veil of their magic was torn away, revealing chitin and fangs. They were fallen upon almost immediately. The ponies were swift and terrible in their retribution. Soldiers took up their posts along the battlements, watching the stream of refugees move as quickly as their hooves could take them to the sanctuary of the keep.

The changeling queen was unseen, feeling her way through her magic to her targets, exposing them. She could not be seen, for she knew the panic that would come if pony eyes fell upon her. All they could see as they approached the massive gates was the throbbing green glow of magic in use.

Chrysalis could taste the fear as the mob approached. For a moment, she understood why Taalia coveted the taste. It was raw and filled the air with a heaviness enough to make a changeling’s emotional sensors throb in dull wonderment. There was hope. Chrysalis could feel it around the edges of the fear. It grew as the fleeing ponies drew closer and closer to the keep.

The changeling blocked out their emotions as the fear was adding upon the realization there was fighting going on in the very refuge they sought.

Luna landed in front of Chrysalis and she could smell the sweat and blood on the alicorn. The princess had very much gone into the fray, leading her ponies. Her voice had commanded with a crispness of one who was completely in her element. She ignored Chrysalis as the changeling continued to channel her magic, stepping forward so she might be seen by her beloved ponies.

“Come to the keep!” she cried, thundering away in her Canterlot voice. Luna rose in the air, spreading her wings in their full majesty.

Nevermind half of her body was covered in blood.

She dove down and went among her ponies, urging them along. Her winged guards swooped down to help. Patrols went along the throng of pushing and prodding ponies. Chrysalis grunted and adjusted her magic, sending it into the oncoming wave of equinity.

Chrysalis could hear the voices of frightened foals and the whinnies of the adults. She thought of Atalanta as she continued to channel her magic. Her legs buckled and she stumbled. The queen caught herself and hissed at her own weakness.

Why am I doing this? she asked herself. They are ponies! They are prey! They are nothing!

Atalanta was half pony.

Chrysalis grit her teeth and gnashed her fangs. Bah! Damn their Harmony! Damn them for wanting to give a monster a chance! Damn me for taking it!

She forced herself upright, stubborn in her refusal to bend to her weakening body’s demands. Her will was stronger and it would be done! Her mane danced around her neck and face, undulating strands in an ethereal wind. The magic billowing from within her was causing this. It was not so different from how magic flowed from the alicorns.

In that moment, Chrysalis had an epiphany.

Could it be that easy? Despite herself, she smiled. It was a weary thing, her smile, but it managed to give her a little more strength to keep up her efforts. Changelings, the traitorous fools, were suffering the cost of betrayal. This made the queen feel good and she was not ashamed of what she was doing. Death came to those who were touched by her magic and the irony to the queen stemmed from the fact an equine was dealing the killing blow each and every time.

By now, Taalia would be realizing she was losing her infiltrators.

Chrysalis felt her grin grow broader at the thought. She could hear the refugees going under the gate and gathering into the courtyard. There were hundreds of them. It would take some time for all of them to come in. Chrysalis wondered if Luna would have to sacrifice the stragglers in order to save the many.

Through her magic, she could sense the infiltrator’s numbers grow smaller and scarcer to find. She was gasping for air by now. How long she held up the changeling did not know. It was agony. Her stubborn nature refused to let her quit, and she tried to tell herself she was doing this for her daughter. Atalanta needed to be safe.

Then, her magic failed her and Chrysalis’ eyes rolled into the back of her head, the world fading away in a painful haze.


“My queen! My queen, please rest!”

Thud. Thud. Thud.

Chrysalis knew that voice. It was one of her own. One of her advisors. She tried to sit up and focus on the voice. Her body failed her and she hissed in pain.

Thud. Thud. Thud.

There were more voices. Pony voices. They were angry and frightened. Luna’s voice rose above them and they were silenced.

Thud. Thud. Thud.

“Your hive has come, Queen Chrysalis,” the alicorn’s voice reached her ears. “They came and surrendered to me. Your warriors placed their weapons at my hooves. They have pledged to defend this keep with their lives.”

Warriors? The hive was here? Chrysalis shook her head, fighting her way through the mental haze. She felt so weak! “How long was I out?”

Thud. Thud. Thud.

“Three hours.” Luna placed a hoof on the changeling’s shoulder. “You should stay down and rest. Your magic reserves are beyond depleted. Your magic began devouring your body.”

Thud. Thud. Thud.

With no energy to push against Luna’s considerable strength, Chrysalis growled and forced herself to relax. “What happened?”

“You passed out,” came the dry reply.

“Damn it, Luna, this is not the time for your wit.” The queen sighed and rolled her eyes. “Are my changelings safe?”

“As safe as the rest of my ponies behind these walls.”

Thud. Thud. Thud.

“What is that noise?”

Luna snorted. “None of your works mentioned anything of giant changelings capable of behaving like living mangonels. There are three of them and they are hurling pieces of the town at our shield. We are under siege, Chrysalis.” Her tone was grave. “I have not heard from my sister. I fear we have been bamboozled.”

“Pachylings,” Chrysalis breathed, blinking her eyes and groaning. Her whole body was filled with pain. It reminded her of her days as a terror-stricken nymph. Good times. The wry grin etching its way across her muzzle was more of a wince. “I never thought she would bring them. She’s never used them before.”

Thud. Thud. Thud.

“Three of them. They’re huge. I’d venture to guess the smallest one is at least ten tons.” Luna offered Chrysalis a glass of water. The changeling accepted it and drank greedily.

“Thoram? Thoram, are you there?” Chrysalis called out the name of her advisor. An indistinguishable changeling stepped into her line of sight. Anxiety wafted from him as he tried to maintain professional stoicism.

“My queen,” he greeted her with reverence. “We worried for you. You paved the way for us to come unharmed. The little ones have missed you. We have all missed you.” Thoram smiled, his eyes misting. As he drew closer, his age was more pronounced in the wrinkles around his eyes.

“We have been evacuating all non combatants,” Luna interjected. Chrysalis lifted her head and tilted towards the alicorn. “Your changelings will leave with them, save for those who wish to fight. We will set the trap. My sister will strike from behind while Taalia throws her forces at these walls. She will be crushed.” Was that bloodthirst in her voice?

“We have few warriors,” Thoram whispered, “but they are willing to stand with you to the end. You have led us this far, my Queen. We are all with you.”

“My daughter?” Chrysalis asked Luna.

“She will remain with Cadence. They will go to Canterlot. You and I will fight Taalia here. We will end this menace. Then we can settle the matter at hoof: the details of peace between our peoples. We will squash this roach that assails mine lands and mine ponies.” Luna’s armor rattled with a menacing din. “We grow bored of this supposed conqueror. We will mete out a proper chastisement. We will have her blood upon Our hooves and We will not be denied victory!”

Chrysalis set aside her empty glass and sat up. Thoram moved to aid her, but she waved him off with a sharp shake of her head. “So, you do have a violent side.” She flared her fangs in a grin at the alicorn.

“War never changes, no matter the age,” sniffed the princess. “How do we deal with these large siege changelings?”

“Pachylings are afraid of fire,” the changeling answered with a grunt. She was on her hooves and felt a slight wave of nausea pass through her. She grit her teeth and waited for the unpleasantness to pass. “Kill them with fire. They will burn horribly, die horribly, and cripple the moral of any changeling that is not a Ravager.”

Luna’s eyes narrowed. “I see. Very well then. If it is fire you suggest, then fire shall be delivered from the heavens.” She then addressed Thoram. “Bring your queen to the tallest tower when she is ready and able.”

Chrysalis gave her a curious look.

“‘Tis simple, friend Chrysalis. Taalia wishes to see you and see you she shall. Let her see you at the top of the highest tower, leering down at her as her forces fling themselves at these walls. Let her rage and despair when she finds you are unreachable whilst she grinds her might to dust against our unbreakable defences. And when she knows she has failed, mine sister Celestia will deal the final hammer blow against the anvil.”


After some time, Chrysalis felt she was ready to leave the room. News reached her ears that all the ponies from the town had been evacuated, as well as her own changelings. Two score of her warriors remained. It was all that was left of her army of a thousand. A pang of guilt tore at her heart when she first saw them awaiting her in the courtyard. They were in rows of four and bowed as one when she appeared before them.

The sounds of the siege assailed her ears. They twitched and turned as she tried to take in what was going on around her. Night was approaching and would soon be upon them. The setting sun had already stretched long shadows, presenting the eerie glow of changeling eyes before her. Her warriors looked upon her with fanatical devotion. They were easily as devoted to her as Taalia’s Ravagers were to their mad queen.

The changeling considered the similarities. Her warriors were fanatics. Each one had been changed by her own magic to be stronger, more aggressive than the average changeling. It was a mark Taalia had left on her. The realization struck the queen.

She did not like the revelation.

“I am sorry,” she blurted to her warriors. “I am so sorry. This is my fault. This is all my fault. I changed you all. I turned you into weapons of war. I have gone against what is natural. I have used my magic to turn you all into instruments of death and destruction.”

Thoram, who had followed behind her, hissed with worry. “My Queen? Why do you say such things?”

“I tried to not be like her. Yet, I still failed and did things to you that she taught me. I am unfit. I can’t be your queen. Not anymore. When this day is done, my daughter will be your queen. You will swear your oaths to her. This will be the last command I give you.” She took in a deep breath and closed her eyes. “Thoram, you will evacuate. Battle is no place for you.” Chrysalis offered her faithful advisor a bleak smile.

“My Queen?” He was at a loss.

“Go. While there is time. Stay with our people. Guide them until my daughter is ready.”

“We will stay with you, Queen Chrysalis,” called out one of her warriors. “To the end. We choose to stand with you to the end. Our glory goes as far as you take us.” She turned to the changeling that spoke. “My Queen, you gave us the choice. Each one had a decision. You gave us the means to decide our own fates. You let us keep our individuality. No honor is greater for any changeling in service to the Queen. You are our Queen. We gave our oaths to you. We gave our souls to you. You are our goddess, our choice to serve in this way was ours to make. You made us better to serve you and the hive. You made us this way to defend our nymphs and hatchlings, to go and do those things which the others can’t do.”

Two score voices lifted in a shout. “Through the Hunger and the Void, we Serve!”

Tears streamed down the cheeks of the proud queen. There was a hitch in her breath as she felt a surge of fierce pride. “Will you stand with me?”

“Be it death or be it glory!”

“I am not worthy of such loyalty!” she cried, her mane flaring around her head and shoulders as she bathed in the love her warriors gave her. As weak as she was, their strength was added to hers and she felt bolstered.

Several ponies had stopped and stared at the spectacle. Chrysalis ignored them, lifting her head to the highest point of the keep. She spied Luna looking down at her. Her expression too far away to make out. Chrysalis snorted. Her wings flared and buzzed as she lifted off the ground.

“To me, my stalwarts! Thoram, go, join the hive. Await for me just a little while longer,” she peered down at the changeling as she hovered. "Go be with my daughter, she is the heir. She will be eager to meet you." Chrysalis smiled at him.

“Return to us, my Queen,” he begged.

“In one form or another,” she replied. Then she lifted up to join Luna. She noted a shield had been cast over the keep. It had a familiar hue to it.

Why had she not noticed it before? The Pachylings had been hurling stones against it. Each strike made the shield shimmer and ripple, but it held fast against the pounding. Steeling herself for the inevitable confrontation, she reached the wide flat top of the keep and noted a familiar white unicorn stallion standing next to Princess Luna. She still was nowhere near full strength.

Luna turned at the sound of hooves striking the stone behind her. Her guards gave passing notice to Chrysalis and her warriors. The princess’ horn was alit with her magic. Next to her was Shining Armor.

“What’s he doing here?” Chrysalis asked in frosty tones.

“Keeping the rocks out,” the stallion replied flippantly, “as well as some nasty customers who really want you dead for some reason. I’d be more than happy to let them have you, but I have orders that explicitly tell me that you are needed alive and well.”

“This is not the time nor the place for personal squabbles,” Luna said with a snort. “I will put you both in a corner if you do not ‘play nice’, as the saying goeth.”

“Eyes to the walls,” Chrysalis ordered her warriors. They skittered off to do as they were told. “They will stay near me.”

“That is acceptable, friend Chrysalis,” Luna nodded.

Shining turned back to concentrating on keeping the shield up. “You brought this all upon us, Chrysalis. You just had to—”

“Your conduct is unbecoming, Captain,” Luna told him in a disapproving tone. “Be as what was envisioned of you when you were elevated to your rank. Your wife has come to terms with the situation.”

Chrysalis opened her mouth to say something witty, but Luna whirled upon her with flashing white eyes filled with immeasurable power. “Thou be still and stay thy waggling tongue!” she thundered. “Mine patience with thee is even less than what can be spared for a fly in mine ointment!”

Chrysalis wisely closed her trap and blinked at the princess.

“Thirty and seven infiltrators were uncovered by your magic,” Luna went on, as if her outburst had never happened. “I can understand the magic applied to undoing their false forms was quite taxing to your reserves. Will you be ready for the battle to come?”

“I can fight,” Chrysalis retorted, sullen.

“Good.”

Chrysalis stepped forward, next to Luna (and opposite from Shining Armor). “How is Taalia arrayed? I’ve never been in a siege before.”

“Sieges are boring,” Luna gave a derisive snort. “Stones and arrows are tossed about and there is a lot of sitting and waiting involved. ‘Tis a chess match and a waiting game. I doubt Taalia understands the value of siege warfare.” Her graceful neck turned her head in a slow sweep of the world before her. “She is impatient, yet I sense she is cunning enough to understand her position. I pray she does not sense the trap.”

“I can hold her assaults off easily enough,” said Shining Armor, “so long as somepony isn’t using my head as a personal plaything.”

“Among other things,” Chrysalis quipped.

Luna sighed and rolled her eyes. “Taalia has arrayed her forces in the only place she can put them. They are mostly in the town they had just razed. A token force is with those Pachylings you spoke of, guarding them, I should think.” She pointed with a hoof. “They have been using the rubble from the dwellings as ammunition.”

Chrysalis watched as a massive stone arched from the edge of the ruined and still burning town, catching the dying light of the setting sun before falling into the shadows and smashing against the shield. The magical shield rippled as if shrugging off an inconvenience.

“There were atrocities,” Luna went on. “My ponies reported terrible doings done unto them. Eviscerations. Limbs torn from their sockets. Some were fed upon while they still breathed. Eaten alive. Such violations cannot go unpunished.”

Chrysalis looked at the alicorn. “So, why don’t you just do your goddess thing and simply sweep them away? You’re an all-powerful deity, aren’t you?”

“To all things, no matter their power, there are limits. Rules to follow. My sister and I could have easily chosen to conquer all of the world with few capable of opposing us. We chose not to, as there must be a balance to maintain. To tip the scales one way or another would invite disaster. It is also imperative Our ponies show the capability of defending themselves. They cannot grow if two goddesses coddle them at all times.” The alicorn leaned forward and peered down at the ramparts where armored ponies stood at the ready.

“I see.”

“I broke the rules, once,” Luna added, blinking as she seemed to study each and every pony at their station far below. “I paid the price. My sister paid the price. Equestria paid the price. The cost was beyond measure and crippled the world for a century. My actions caused a famine a thousand years ago. I am still coming to terms with my actions. I may be a goddess, but I am also still a flawed pony, like any other.”

Thud. Thud. Thud.

“They’re picking up the pace,” Shining noted. He grunted as he adjusted his hooves beneath him. “Assault?”

“Possibly,” Luna said.

Thud. Thud. Thud.

“They appear to be concentrating their shots,” Shining nudged with his muzzle.

“Is the strike team in position?” Luna asked. “I need news.”

“The Shadowbolts are standing by,” called out a pony.

“Chrysalis, observe the large thunderhead basking in the light of my sister’s sun.” The alicorn steered Chrysalis with her eyes towards the fading light as it struck against a towering, massive column of clouds. It was darkening rapidly.

“That wasn’t there before,” Chrysalis observed.

“My minions work post haste,” Luna said with a proud smirk. “Their work goes unnoticed until it is too late. Observe.”

The thunderhead began flashing, starting from its impressive and massive anvil at the top all the way through to its dark base. Dancing bolts of lightning shimmered and flashed, bouncing through the clouds earthward. There was a flash followed by a great boom. The area of impact exploded, sending debris everywhere. The sound carried a pained cry to the ears of the changeling. It was a vast sound, as if a great living thing had been struck down.

“Target is still mobile. Advise an increase of voltage to eliminate the threat, Majesty.”

Luna nodded. “Do it.”

Again, the thunderhead broiled with impending violence. The deadly light show began anew and Chrysalis watched in fascination as another peal of death rained down upon the ruined city. This blast of lightning was far more impressive. It was so bright she had to squint and avert her eyes as it struck the ground. The shriek following it was cut short, ending in gruesome violence.

“Target eliminated.”

“Continue the operation. There are still two more to destroy. Show them no leniency.”

“Yes, Majesty.”

Again, the cloud charged up and again, death fell from the skies. Small dark forms rose from the ground as Taalia’s forces rose in response. Chrysalis amplified her vision, her irises shifting and adjusting as her eyes zoomed in. Yes, they were changelings. There were hundreds of them. Green bolts of magic darted upwards, filling the sky. In response, other dark figures emerged from the cloud and dove down upon them. An aerial battle commenced, though the Shadowbolts were wary of overcommitting. Both sides darted at each other, only to peel back before rounding again upon each other. More magic filled the skies. The skirmish was disrupting the efforts of the thunderstorm.

Luna blinked at the carnage. Chrysalis could see some limp forms falling. It was odd being so far away as to barely make out the noise of battle. It struck her as odd her old tormentor would bring an army of considerable size with her. They must have come up through the Badlands, where communities were scattered and it was easy to move a large force through. This meant Taalia had been consolidating her strength for some time. Perhaps this attack had been intended all along?

Chrysalis was not sure. What she was observing was so far out of what she knew of Queen Taalia’s tendencies, enough to give pause.

“Support the Shadowbolts,” Chrysalis heard Luna say. There was such cool, collected calm in the alicorn’s voice. “Send in the Third Night Watch.”

“This is far from over,” Chrysalis told her.

“I should hope not,” snorted the immortal mare. “If she is going to commit to a fight, I am more than happy to oblige her. They countered well.”

The storm struck again. Another massive bolt of electricity cracked into the ruins. This time, Chrysalis could see what appeared to be a massive limb arc up, smoldering and twitching as gravity took hold and pulled it back down.

“Two down. The Shadowbolts are being pressed, Majesty.”

“The Third?”

“Engaging now.”

Luna nodded. “Pull them back. Conserve the cloud. Bring it overhead. I want a rotation over the keep and a good defensive wind.”

“Yes, Majesty!”

The alicorn spread her wings and sprang into the air. Without a word, her personal guard also took to the air. “Let us see if Queen Taalia would grace us in a parlay, shall we? Would you care to join me, Queen Chrysalis? I am sure the two of you would like to have a civil discussion before we resume the butchery.”

Chrysalis nodded. She was not sure if she wanted to meet Taalia again, not after what had happened in her mind. She had still not gotten over Luna’s intrusion, either. Still, her curiosity got the better of her.

“All right, let’s do it.” She took to the air and followed Luna, her own guard mingling with the Night Guard.

“Give me a flag of truce.”

One was presented and given to one of the guards.

“Captain Armor, if you please.”

The stallion nodded and released his shield.

“Come, let us go and see if the odds favor a meeting.” Luna wore a slight smile beneath her grim demeanor.

“Changelings are approaching!” came a cry from the battlements. “A white flag!”

“Ah, it would seem she has some form of curiosity herself,” Luna mused.

“It could be a trap,” Chrysalis cautioned.

“My friend, they are changelings. Of course it could be a trap.” Luna peered ahead with squinting eyes. “Ah, there is an unusual specimen. Very feline. I suspect that is the good Queen Taalia.” She pointed with an armored hoof.

Chrysalis looked for herself and could easily make out a silhouette approaching on the ground, lit by the lights of glowing horns of minions. Those with the horns were dwarfed by the massive forms of hyena-like beasts Chrysalis knew all too well.

And at their center was none other than Queen Taalia herself.