• Published 20th Mar 2016
  • 6,078 Views, 555 Comments

Raise You Like a Phoenix - Gapeagle



A young burglar tries to steal some of Princess Celestia's most prized jewels and artifacts. After she is caught, however, she catches the Princess's eye.

  • ...
29
 555
 6,078

Chapter 6: Late Hour

The quiet night in the palace was a usual one. The statues were still where they stood; the maids and servants all rested in their quarters, the stained glass windows were all present. The halls echoed with only the passing wind that was outside. It was peaceful, it was quiet, and it was boring. Just like every night.

However, one loud, obnoxious noise terrorized the silence. Bang Bang! Bang Bang! A pattern of rhythmic slams upon a hard door. Each set of slams seemed louder and more annoying than the last. Not only were the slams louder, but the pace of them quickened. Bang bang! Bang bang! Bang bang! It was endless, ruthless and all around excruciating for the Princess of Equestria, who was hiding under her pillows from the evil sounds.

"Your Highness! Please wake up!" came a masculine voice from outside her chambers.

"Go away!" Celestia yelled back. "Do not disturb me when I sleep! It's three in the morning! You can wait until dawn."

"Are you sure, Your Highness? This is rather important," the stallion asked.

"Private Speed, if that's you, you are trotting on ground you shouldn't. I apologize for my sudden rudeness, but I really, really, really like sleep. So please-"

"It's about your new pupil," Speed interrupted.

"Oh fine!"

Celestia magically removed her blankets, and with the grace of a sloth, got up from her large bed. She slowly made her way to her chamber door and her magic gripped the doorknob. She almost fell back asleep right then, but shook herself enough to stay awake. With a yawn, she opened the door.

There, before her, were three Royal Guards and Sunset Shimmer, who was standing between all of them. She had an anti-magic device on her horn and her front legs were shackled. An innocent smile was on her face as she looked up at the tall princess. Celestia did not return the odd smile and simply looked at her with stoic eyes. She fought off a yawn before addressing her Royal Guards.

"She's been out?" she asked sleepily.

"We found her in the gardens, Your Highness," Speed said. "She was trying to escape."

"And because of that, they put me in chains," Sunset said. "What an overreaction, right?"

"Well, she did attack us. Whiplash lost an eyebrow," Speed explained quickly.

"Just go put her in the dungeons and call it a night, boys," Celestia said through a yawn.

"Right away, Your Highness!" the three soldiers said in unison with a salute.

Two Guards each took one of her shackled legs and began to drag the unicorn away down the long hallway. Celestia watched them go with half-opened eyes. Suddenly, a jolt of energy went through her, making her gasp audibly. What am I doing? In her sudden state, she called out to her stallions.

"Wait! Do not leave! Bring her back here. She shall stay with me tonight."

"Are you sure?" Speed asked.

"Absolutely sure! Now bring her back."

The Royal Guards shrugged and dragged Sunset back through the hall until they were in front of the princess. The unicorn was cursing under her breath all the way. Upon stopping, she tried to cross her front legs, but the chains prevented her from doing so. The Royal Gaurds bowed and Celestia dismissed them with a wave of her hoof.

"Come inside, young one," Celestia beckoned.

"I rather stay in the dungeons..." the unicorn muttered.

Celestia rolled her eyes and levitated the unicorn to put her inside the chambers. Once this was done, she shut the door, leaving them both in darkness. The princess walked over to her bad and laid down in it, having her head and front legs at the end of the mattress instead of by the headrest. She rested her head on her outstretched legs and lazily watched the unicorn.

Celestia's horn glowed slightly and a ball of light sprouted from nowhere. It was not a bright light, but it had the effects of a small hearth fire on the room. She took the ball and threw it up in the air where it stayed glowing.

"I didn't want to light the candles. I thought you would praise the tiny flames," she chuckled.

"You forgot to take these off," Sunset spoke and rattled her shackles.

"Should I? You seem to enjoy having them on," was the reply.

"Your guards were just spooked, that's all. I didn't do anything wrong. I didn't even leave the palace's premise."

"How unusual for one who wishes to not be here," the princess commented sleepily. "If I had known any better, I would say that you are lying."

"Lying? Why would I lie?"

"No idea, which makes me concerned," it was hard to tell her sarcasm. "Here you are, lying to me not once, but twice. Sunset, what's in your tail?"

"There's nothing in my tail."

"Three lies and I guess counting."

Celestia took hold of Sunset's tail with her magic. The thief's natural curls were undone by the magic, spreading each hair out. As she did so, a small clang echoed in the chambers as a large red gem fell out and hit the cold floor. The thief, upon seeing that she was caught fully, lowered her head and refused to look at her new teacher.

"My guards are incompetent these days," Celestia muttered as she took the gem. "Not only did they allow you to break into the vault again, but they forgot to search you after. My stallions lack discipline. Perhaps it is time for a new Captain?"

She then looked at the solemn thief. "Sunset, why are you so interested in this gem? This is the second time you've stolen it."

"I like the color."

"You are one curious pony," Celestia shook her head. "One interesting specimen that I can't comprehend right now."

"That's because you're a princess."

"I would not be surprised."

Celestia inspected the red gem in the faint light. "My little pony, I asked you this in your cell the first day and I'll ask again. Why do you steal?"

"Because it's fun."

"If that was the case, I would believe you would have stopped stealing by now. The aspect of being arrested and placed in shackles would overwhelm your petty enjoyment of robbery. No, ponies do bad things because they are desperate. You are a desperate pony, am I correct?"

"Not at all."

"Where do you live?"

"Canterlot."

"How many places have you broken into?"

"Twenty-three."

"How many were successful?"

"Twenty-two."

"Do you have family?"

"No."

"Were they taken from you?"

"No."

"Did you run away?"

"No."

Do you have friends?"

"Yes."

"By the Sun! Who?"

"Mrs. Who Cares and Mr. I Don't Give a Flying Feather. Oh! I forgot Sir Go To Tartarus."

Celestia made a dry laugh. "Anypony else?" she said playfully.

"Guess there's also Princess Fat Flank."

"And I'm honored to be your friend!"

Sunset stifled a laugh and tried to remain her mean self. The princess caught the little chuckle and smiled knowingly. I'll get to her someday. Celestia leaned a bit farther off her bed, her long neck making her muzzle almost reach the unicorn. Of course, the unicorn backed a step away because of this.

"I find it incredible how stubborn and unnecessarily secretive you are," she stated. "Heh, it's rather amusing."

"I find it incredible how nosy you are," Sunset said back. "It's rather annoying."

"C'mon little one, have a more positive outlook. I'll take it that there's not many ponies out there who care for you or give you the slightest hint of love. I ask you such questions, not to interrogate, but to learn more about you. From your one syllable responses, I say you do have a family, but you don't have friends. You also do not steal for pure enjoyment. There is something more there that you are not telling me. I don't appreciate your secrecy, but I will not press the issue further."

"Then will you take these things off?" she showed the shackles once more.

"If you promise you will stay the rest of the night here with me."

"...Fine."

Celestia's magic wrapped itself around the shackles, unlocking iron chains and removing them from her small legs. She levitated them across the room to a desk and gently laid them there. She turned her attention back to the thief, who was rubbing her aching legs. With a motherly smile, she addressed the unicorn.

"Have you ever seen a phoenix, young one?"

"They're wild creatures, of course not," Sunset answered rudely.

"Then you are in for a treat. I know this hour is extremely late, but I would like you to meet my long time friend."

"You have a phoenix pet, don't you?"

"Yup! And she comes at the sound of a bell!"

Celestia picked up a large silver bell with her magic and rung it twice. Oh! What fun! After ringing, she patiently waited for a response. No sound came from either of them. Sunset was breathing expectantly, waiting for the phoenix to arrive. Celestia had more restrained anticipation. Still, no majestic bird came from anywhere.

"Well, she sometimes comes at the bell..." Celestia groaned. That dumb bird brain.

"Wow," Sunset mocked with a tone must would cringe at, "the Princess of Equestria, so fantastically regal and fat on cake, yet she still can't even control her pet bird."

Celestia giggled at the insult. "Bravo. You are already taking after me."

"A jerk trains a jerk I guess..."

"And we'll be the biggest jerks of all!" Celestia finished. "You know Sunset, you are just what I needed in my life. Nopony has ever insulted me like that before. Nopony. They all bow and praise me like I'm somehow more superior than they are. You sit right there, bold enough to even look into my eyes, and insult me. You are either brave and stubborn or you are simply foolish."

"I'm not foolish, I just don't fear you."

"Are you sure not fearing me is not foolish?" Celestia questioned.

"What should I fear from you?"

"With logic, you should fear a lot from me. I am a ruler, you are a prisoner. I make the rules, you have to suffer from them. In this relationship, I'm the master, you are the servant. However, this relationship shall not stay that way. If you understand my teachings and learn to cope with my morals, we shall become equals in due time. Your freedom is very much in reach. The only pony in this entire world who is keeping you from earning your freedom is you. I know that anything I'll throw at you will not be too much for you. From my age and wisdom, I can see things in ponies. With your eyes and that frown of yours, I know that you know suffering very well. You are tough, determined, and extremely ambitious, but you do not know how to utilize your strengths. With my help, I can make you into something you may not even believe you can be."

Sunset cocked her head with a smug smile. "Really? Sounds more like you're gonna turn me into a weapon or a slave to you. I think I'll pass on the offer. You may have some interest in my well-being, but I doubt it. You're still upset and stuff because I didn't get into your crummy school for gifted horn-heads. I don't need that stuff. I don't need you either."

Celestia sighed. "Then what do you need?"

"Some sleep."

"Then by all means, hop into my bed. There's room for both of us."

"Ew! I rather sleep on the floor."

Well then. The princess said nothing and removed herself from the large bed. Without looking at the thief once, she took a cushion and laid herself down on the floor. She had to adjust the cushion more than once before she was comfortable to rest her head. When she had finished, she gestured with a hoof at the empty bed.

"It is yours."

"Um...You didn't have to do that..." Sunset hesitated.

"I insist, young one. Take the bed. It is already warm."

Celestia watched the thief stay still. Her eyes would guiltily look at the empty bed and then back at the floor. It was clear she was having unsure thoughts about taking the royal bed. Then surprisingly, she took a couple steps back and then curled up with a small cushion on the floor. This made the princess blink once in sudden confusion, but the mild shock was over and she turned away.

"I guess I won't raise the sun at the normal time in the morning," the princess yawned.

"That'd be nice," Sunset responded from across the room.

"Sweet dreams, young one."

"I wish..."

The floor was terribly uncomfortable, especially compared to her lovely bed. Celestia fought through the backache and remained there with her small cushion. The little ball of light she created faded out of existence, leaving them in complete darkness. A slight smile crept on her muzzle.

There's a bit of hope there. She rather herself suffer than take any graceful gift. She's a stubborn child, but perhaps there is more decency in her than I had believed before. I know Blueblood would have taken the bed without a thought. That arrogant nephew. Her ears perked a little as she started to hear Sunset's cute little snoring. It was faint and one had to focus to hear it. She had already fallen asleep despite the place she slept. This brought a small, but powerful realization to the princess. She's used to sleeping on cold floors. I wonder how many times she's done it...

For the rest of the night, not a pony slept in the royal bed. The two ponies in the room preferred to sleep on the cold and unforgiving floor. One pony was a prisoner, a thief needing guidance in her young life. The other was a monarch that had been ruling for over a thousand years, faded in her glory and in desperate need of living once again. The lowest thief with the ultimate ruler on the same hard plane of reality.

Watching both of them was a red bird with sharp yellow eyes and embers floating off her gigantic fiery wings. She cocked her head to the side to see in through the window. The majestic creature wanted to call out to her mistress, but no sound came from her hooked beak. Finding no attention from the sleeping ponies, she spread her wings and flew out into the night sky, leaving small wisps of flames behind her.