• Published 20th Mar 2016
  • 6,078 Views, 555 Comments

Raise You Like a Phoenix - Gapeagle



A young burglar tries to steal some of Princess Celestia's most prized jewels and artifacts. After she is caught, however, she catches the Princess's eye.

  • ...
29
 555
 6,078

Chapter 19: Through the Glass

~One Week Later~

Celestia sipped her tea. There was only one bandage remaining on her from the battle she had with Sunset in her own chambers. The bandage was placed on the left front shoulder, right under where her regalia would cover. She had been asked a hundred times or more about how she acquired such injuries. She had to make up stories to explain it to everypony who dared ask. It was the only benefit to having scars. Celestia had no little imagination and ponies were the most gullible species in all the land. Her tales ranged from manticores to dragons, from timberwolves to hydras. Not a single story ever came close to the actual events that a young unicorn damaged her so much.

"What are you looking at?" she playfully asked the phoenix that was perched on her desk.

The bird did not respond verbally, but only with a slight cock of her head. She's been acting so strangely. I hope I haven't done anything to hurt her feelings. The princess raised one confused brow, but only sipped her morning tea once again. The phoenix remained in its complacent state and not at all like her bubbly self.

"I guess I can understand what you're feeling," Celestia told the bird. "It's been odd not having any craziness here. It has already fallen back into the boring state it was before Sunset arrived. Do you miss her?"

There was no response from the bird.

"I see," Celestia nodded. "I miss her as well. However, I understand that if she will ever get help in this world, it shall not be at my hooves. There's one that can save her, I know there is. I can feel it. I feel it so strongly that I know it will never be me."

She put down her tea and stood up from her desk. With a quick stretch of her legs, she walked over to her balcony to gaze out towards the grand city of Canterlot. It was a lovely, peaceful morning. The pegasi had done their rain runs the past two days, so it was now only sunny and clear.

"Come, Philomena," she told the phoenix gently. "Let us enjoy the day as it should be."

The majestic bird swiftly glided from her perch to the railing of the balcony. Celestia smiled at her before returning her gaze to the vast city. From her view atop the Grand Royal Palace, not a single blemish was on the white city. What soul would be troubled in a city of wonders? In a city that has seen so much glory? Celestia knew the answer all too well. She had been wishing to forget the name, but it was always on her mind.

"Philomena, I think it's time to finally reflect on all this," she said quietly. "I have given it a week to come to a conclusion. Never in my life have I been so troubled. Never since Sister Dearest left you and I. I thought I learned a lesson worth a thousand lifetimes. It all seemed so simple. I just needed to care more. I needed to be more loving. They were lessons a child would come up with. Many tried to convince me that it wasn't my fault. None succeeded of course. I wanted to be the sole reason of my own failure. 'I can't fix society, but I can fix myself.' So I did. I fixed myself. Or...at least I believed that I did. A thousand years later and it repeats in startlingly similar fashion. In my age, I have forgot that which is most important to me. I let myself be blinded by my own desire to be the most loving pony that has ever existed. You know very well how many ponies I have helped. I've kept a nation running on the top of the world for a thousand years! My experience, my success, it all should point to me being the greatest, right? Well, perhaps, but I never believed it. I thought I fixed myself and I thought I remained humble. I did neither.

"Perhaps I never understood love. I don't mean romantically, as you know I've never had a relationship. What I mean is that I have never learned to be a sister or a mother. I've taken concepts like politeness, etiquette, and regal authority as being loving or caring. They are good in their own right, but they are not the full power of love. I can teach, but I cannot be motherly. Maybe I've never actually tried to be motherly. Sunset needed a mother, a foundation for her to fall back on. I tried to treat her like a sister. I tried to be that role-model for her even though she never thought me as one. I only tried to convince her that I was the better pony by moral standards and that she could be more like me. I stumbled over my own ideologies trying to be perfect in her eyes while also telling her that I was not perfect. My hooves were never coordinating as one. I was giving and taking at the same time. If I gave only, it would have fared better. If I took only, it would have fared better.

"I must learn from this. I have to learn from this. A thousand years of ruling have taken a toll on my whole body. I am not as strong as I once was, both mentally and physically. It's about time I surround myself with respectable ponies and guide them to be their own rulers of this nation. I have wished so desperately to give up my throne and crown, but none worthy have appeared. Cadance is the only candidate I can think of. However, this could be my fault. A good leader makes leaders and I have only made a few. Philomena, I should not give up on this quest. I have failed with Sunset and her memory is my burden to carry, but I will not fail again in this! I need to step up as a leader once again and guide the ponies to be better than me. There's a pony out there, I know there is, who can rival me without breaking a sweat. There's a pony out there who can be a great leader. There have been many like this pony, but I have left them untouched and thus they never aspired to their greatest potential. Perhaps the pony to be the greatest of all time has come and gone, and I missed my opportunity to recognize them.

"Do not think that I am blowing Sunset off as a simple mistake. I have helped stir chaos into her life and that makes my gut ache. However, I do have hope for her. I know what she desires and I shall not stand in her way any longer. She is on her own now and all the choices in front of her rely solely on her shoulders. I could apologize for weeks at her hooves, but it would be a waste of my breath. She does not deserve me and I do not deserve her. I can only hope that she will find happiness in her future endeavors. Maybe she'll find friends and perhaps all this will be a like a Spring shower. Here one day and gone the next. Oh, I hope so. I hope with my whole heart. Sunset is not done yet. She has a life to live and I fully believe that she will find greatness."

A knocking came at the chamber's door. Celestia looked behind her to see Cadance there in the doorway, looking worried. The Princess of Love gestured at the other princess to come forward. Celestia took some gentle steps before Cadance started.

"Sunset is here! She's back!" Cadance gulped.

"Ah," Celestia smiled. "Right on time. Please, no need to worry yourself, Cadance. There is no threat here."

"But...But..."

"I said there's no threat," Celestia laughed. "Please have some tea. This batch is rather delightful."

Celestia walked passed the younger princess and happily walked down the steps. Cadance stayed bewildered by Celestia's relaxed behavior, but said nothing to her. Her worried expression turned to a bemused scowl and she huffed indignantly.

"Well then!" she then looked over at the kettle of tea. "Guess some tea will do good. Hey, Philomena, pour me a cup."



"Why is it opened?" Sunset asked as she stood right in front of the opened vault.

Celestia rounded the corner. "Because I was expecting you."

"Gah!" Sunset screeched and turned around. "I knew it was too easy! This is a trap, isn't it?"

With the young mare's horn lit and readied to fire, Celestia stood in place. "Not at all, my dear. I remembered that you spoke so fondly of the mirror. That piece of glass has a way of captivating ponies who see it. I thought it would be something you'd return for."

"And you're gonna stop me? Have you learned nothing?" Sunset snarled.

"I've learned enough to not oppose you," Celestia smiled. "Please, head on inside. You shall find no resistance in me or the guards. I've ordered them to not approach you."

Sunset raised a brow in complete confusion. "Huh? What is this?"

"Let me show you," Celestia chuckled sweetly.

The Princess of the Sun simply walked passed the young mare and into the vault. Sunset, with nothing else to do, followed her. The vault was fully lit, so unlike most of the time, everything inside could be seen. Celestia passed the odd artifacts that were hidden from the outside world. She did not even give them a glance. The thief was hesitant to follow so closely, but did not want to wander either.

"You were right about the mirror," Celestia said while she walked. "It's a very special mirror. It's mystical in every sense of the word and I have no idea what its purpose was or is for."

"So you just hid it in here?" Sunset asked.

"Well, yes. I used to believe it harmless, but it started to affect the ponies who looked into it. Your story about seeing yourself as an alicorn are not unlike what others or even myself have experienced. Some say it can predict the future, some say it shows one's true desire."

"What did you see?"

"My sister and I enjoying a day at the beach," she playfully rolled her eyes. "It's all quite silly if you ask me."

Sunset and the princess sat right in front of the odd mirror. There was no reflection and neither could see themselves in the glass. This made Sunset uneasy, as it was not behaving as a mirror should. There was nothing on the other side, like the glass was only a stone wall. It appeared like it was a bit coarse in the touch, but from another angle, it looked perfectly smooth as it ought to be. Sunset glanced up to see if Celestia was confused as well.

The princess was instead looking down at her. "Neither of those beliefs are true, my dear. The mirror is a portal. The stone you see in the glass is actually in another world, connected, yet separated from our own. The mirror wants us to go through it. It wants us to go beyond our own understanding. I've never trusted it, that's why I've never walked through it. I've stuck a hoof through it once or twice. It tickles."

"That sounds pretty good," Sunset nodded. "A place where I can start fresh, right?"

Celestia sighed. "I do not advise it, but you will not find resistance in me today. You and I have had enough troubles to be fighting again. I do not know what is beyond the glass, but perhaps it will help you. It may destroy you too. I would love it if you stayed. I can see us...making it passed our differences and finally forming a friendship."

"I can't," Sunset simply said. "I just can't. You caused a lot of this. I'm friendless and right now hopeless. I don't need Equestria or the ponies in it. I need to start in a place where I can be who I want to be."

Celestia looked away. "I'm truly sorry for how all this fell into place."

"That's what I thought you'd say. Sorry Celestia, but the only one who's gonna help me is myself. You can go on being the perfect ruler and all," she smiled. "Heck, maybe I'll become something great in this world. I'll do whatever it takes to get to the top. I'll be the best I can be. Yeah," she nodded with confidence. "This'll be true freedom for me. Only got my toughness and ambition. My ambitions will give true freedom."

"I hope you mean well with that ideology," Celestia still looked away.

"We'll see. Maybe I'll come back just to show you how well I've done."

Celestia forced a giggle. "Hopefully it doesn't involve magical artifacts."

"Eh, maybe."

Sunset took a step to the mirror and put her hoof on the glass. Like touching the surface of water, a ripple went through the glass in complete silence. She was taken aback by this reaction from the mirror and gulped. Her hoof was still in it and she did not make a move.

"Please make sure you want to do this," Celestia warned her.

"I think I do. No, I know I do. I have nothing here and everything there. I belong there."

She placed her whole leg in the mirror.

Celestia turned around and let her eyes be fixed on the ground. "Make some friends, alright?"

"Pfft, who needs them?" Sunset chuckled with a warm smile before throwing herself through the mirror and leaving Equestria.

"Oh, why?" Celestia sighed as sudden guilt flooded through her conscience. "No, this was her decision, not yours. Maybe we'll see her again, right?" she shook her head. "I hope so. I hope letting her go was the best decision of my life for her sake. Her life in Equestria is done. I shall leave it at this."

It's over. The princess had no strength to look back at the mirror. Sunset was gone and that was not going to change. With a soothing breath, she stood up on all fours and determinedly walked out of the vault. Before she left, she magically snuffed out any lights and left the guarded room in darkness. Without much thought, she locked the vault with the enchantments she had placed on the door. If she does come back, she'll have to knock.

"Is she gone?" Cadance, who was sitting in the hallway, asked with worry.

"Yes, she is gone. She's off on a new adventure. It will do her well," Celestia answered with a smile.

"Auntie, you don't have to keep that mirror in there. I mean, if Sunset does come back, what if she is twice as angry? What if you are the last pony she ever wants to see? I think you should get rid of it," the young princess suggested.

"Oh? Where would I stash such an item?"

"Well, maybe when I get my own place, I'll put it there. I bet I could calm her down or dissuade her from violence before you do."

Celestia put a hoof to her chin. "Perhaps. However, you getting a place of your own?" she giggled loudly. "Like that will ever happen! You are young and should not worry of such things, my dear. Come along, we a new task at hoof."

The princess perked up and boldly strode by the young mare. Cadance was perplexed by Celestia's sudden change of expression. She galloped to the old princess's side, her face still in bewilderment. She had to take twice as many steps to keep up with Celestia, and all the while, her mind tried to propose a question.

"New task? What new task?" Cadance questioned.

"I'm not sure yet myself!" Celestia chuckled. "However, I have this feeling, a strong feeling, that this is only the beginning! Sunset will do her part, we shall do ours! Come along, Cadance!"

Celestia hurried her steps. Cadance blinked for a moment and found herself far behind the other. "Wait!" she shouted.

A sparkle was in Celestia's eyes. "My dear, it is time to act! The nation of Equestria has been dormant for too long. You, Sunset, and future ponies have sparked something in me that has been just as quiet as our homeland. Cadance, I am sick of being a failure. I am sick of my hooves fighting each other. It is time that my hooves coordinate together, that I thrust myself to fulfill a single goal! Luna comes back within the decade and when she arrives, whether she is Nightmare Moon or my beloved sister, we must be ready. If I keep up my inconsistency of teaching, then we shall not be prepared."

Cadance shrugged. "Sorry, Auntie, but I don't understand."

Celestia leaned close to her niece. "We must make leaders. Ponies that can do what I wish to do, but do it better than myself. We need to make a pony into a leader that can help ponies like Sunset and others. Perhaps this pony will be the one to save her from herself. I have hope for Sunset, but that hope does not rely in her alone, but her finding somepony who can guide her out of this mess far better than I ever could."

"But Aunt Tia, how are we going to find such a pony?" Cadance asked.

The question struck her as odd, but odd because of how much a logical question it was. Where would I find such a pony? Perhaps Fate will decide that. No, must keep focused! She looked towards the floor for a moment and then stared right at her niece. What is going to happen is more important than me. I have a will, I have a determination that will not be extinguished. This is for not only me, but Sunset. Remember. Remember.

Celestia remained calm through her stammering. "I...I don't know. I...I just know that we will. Are you with me in this?"

The Princess of Love nodded slowly. "Absolutely."

Celestia smiled broadly. "That's what I needed to hear. Let us bring this pony up so that he or she can raise Sunset Shimmer from the ashes! To raise her like a phoenix!"

Author's Note:

I'll put the "complete" tag once the epilogues are done.

Thank you all!


-Cheers for That!