• Published 20th Mar 2016
  • 6,078 Views, 555 Comments

Raise You Like a Phoenix - Gapeagle



A young burglar tries to steal some of Princess Celestia's most prized jewels and artifacts. After she is caught, however, she catches the Princess's eye.

  • ...
29
 555
 6,078

Chapter 11: The Beat of Wings

"Well, Celestia certainly doesn't know how to improve security..."

Sunset pressed her ear on the vault. Her magic was working all the bolts and gears in the vault's thick door. She had already done this several times before, she it was almost a routine to unlock what was meant to be unlockable. With the skills she had, she bypassed the magical codes that protected the vault. It required careful calculations and any mess up would mean she would have to start the long process all over again.

She held her breath. The process was almost complete. Silently, she unlocked the last magical locks and one of the vault's compartments that was behind the door opened to reveal that large red gem she was so infatuated with. She practically drooled upon seeing it once more. Her magic wrapped around it and she removed it from the odd shaped container that the princess always put it in. After removing it, she hid it in the curl of her mane and casually shut the vault's compartment and left the room it was in silently.

She had to pass some Royal Guards to reach her study. The two guards were quite familiar to her by now since they had been watching her for over three straight weeks. She smiled at the, they waved their armored hooves at her, and she peacefully entered her study. Since it was now nighttime, the princess did not let them watch her sleep and had to stay outside. Sunset shut the door behind her and was left in the darkness that was her study.

The only faint light that was present was from the stained windows that had the moon shine through them. It was not much at all and only allowed her to see the outlines of furniture and books. Knowing the place by heart, she moved through the room easily, but was stopped when she heard a breath be breathed by her desk. It was the quietest of quiet sounds, but it was enough to let her know that she was not alone. She held her breath and looked up at her desk to see an outline of a pony sitting there. Two misshapen wings were on the body and the frame was that of a thick stallion. The chipped left ear showed who the stallion was.

"Haven't seen you in a while," she said cautiously.

"Hmph, then ya don't look hard enough. I've watched ya the whole week," a gruff and inconsiderate voice replied from the figure.

Sunset took some steps closer to the steps that led up to her desk. "Why are you here?" she asked with the same amount of caution.

"Nothing really, just seeing why ya wasting so much time in this lousy place."

"As you probably know, I was caught."

"Serves ya right for being such a stupid girl," he grumbled.

Sunset reached his level and took the gem out of her mane. "Ha! Well, I got what I wanted and this time, I won't lose it. Eat your words, Beats, I did the impossible."

"Huh, if that's impossible, then why do we even have the word? I could have gotten that in an hour and left without a stir. Ya lucky ya had more than one try, ya moron."

Sunset sat down and rolled her eyes. "Well, you haven't changed."

The stallion's shadowy face grinned, showing some yellow teeth. "Neither have ya. Well, mostly. I see that the princess has gotten to ya. The Sunset I trained would have stayed in the dungeon before doing anything a royal fool tells her to."

"Well, Wing Beat, she didn't let me stay in the dungeon. She wants me to be her student."

He shook his head in annoyance. "I know, lass. I told ya I've been watching ya, haven't I? Do you have ears or are ya too much of an idiot to use them?"

Sunset sighed. "Doesn't matter. I got the gem. So, if Celestia does not grant me wings any time soon, I'll just use this and escape!"

Wing Beat took the gem from her magic and looked down at it with an annoyed expression. He then looked at her expectantly, to which she answered with a confused shrug. This only aggravated him more. His stare sent daggers to her even though she could barely see his face.

"Idiot. This gem is useless," he told her bluntly.

Sunset's eyes widened. "What? That's the gem! I took it from this odd amulet thing and-"

He threw the gem at her, hitting her on the head, but it was not a hard enough throw to hurt her. "Exactly! This gem is useless without the rest. You brought the arrows, but you forgot the bloody bow! It's called the 'Alicorn Amulet' for a reason. If this red gem did the work, then why are ya still here? Ya could've blasted yaself out weeks ago. Nah, ya really are a dull unicorn lass. I thought I trained ya to be smart, not a halfwit."

Sunset crossed her legs. "But the books said that the gem was enchanted, not that black metal thing that holds it."

"Sunset," Wing Beat lowered his voice. "The gem needs a catalyst to work. That's why it is placed in the amulet. Neither can work without the other. It's a caution thing when the old unicorns made such instruments."

"Then I'll just get the amulet," she turned to leave.

Wing Beat grumbled. "Not so quick, lass. There's two guards out there, jus' waiting for ya to leave. Ya missed your chance. Ya either smoke their rotten hides or wait 'til next night."

"How about you just knock them out for me, hm?"

Wing Beat chuckled. "Nice try, but I'm done helping ya for tonight. It's ya sister that's at stake, not mine."

Sunset frowned. "How is she?" She asked in a calmer tone.

"Still holding up. Still losing fur left and right. The usual, ya know?" he casually shrugged.

Sunset took the gem, hid it in a book, and then placed the book on a shelf. "Can't believe Celestia is holding me up like this. I have to act like her little student until I get what I want. It's possible to become an alicorn without the amulet, but I gotta make up lost time. I know she doesn't have much longer. I shouldn't have waited this long to do something."

"Heh, sounds like ya actually care for her," he laughed a dry laugh. "If I didn't know better, I'd say ya actually did care for the lil' darling."

"I do care for her!" Sunset hissed. "I would have never come into this palace if I didn't."

"Keep tellin' yaself that, lass. I know the true reasons, but hey, I'm not one to give a feather 'bout it. Ya came to me, ya wanted me to train ya, so anythin' that happens is mainly ya own fault. Ya catch my drift?" he ended with a serious cock of his head.

"Yeah, yeah. If you keep this up, you old geezer, I'll whoop you when I have the amulet. You think you're the only one that has suffered in this world. Well, you didn't have an upbringing like mine."

"Kid, how many times do I have to tell ya? I've been through Tartarus. Look at my scars, look at my blind eye. I'm a fool and a weak one at that. If I made it through Tartarus, there ain't no reason anyone else can't make it. Ponies who don't make it are complainers, talkers that don't do nothing. I took ya in because ya was a doer! Doers are rare. Never seen a kid so willing to get the job done. Now go get that job done and forget anypony that stands in ya way. Other ponies are only bumpy obstacles, they aren't stone walls. Just walk over them for the Sun's sake."

"I can't just do that," Sunset turned away from him. "Not only will I probably get caught by Celestia, but I do think some of these ponies...like me. They have no reason to like me, but I just think they do. Some of me wants to stay here, but I know I can't. I have to help Dayshine. I have to have alicorn powers and save her!"

A sly chuckle left Wing Beat's crooked mouth. "Oh really? If ya want her saved, why don't ya just ask Celestia to do it?"

"Because she's-" Sunset stopped.

She had turned around to see Wing Beat, but halted. There was no figure there anymore and she was alone in the study once more. Wing Beat was gone without a trace. She looked about to make sure he wasn't simply hiding, but she only confirmed that he had left. A single blue feather was left in his stead. One of the top windows was hanging open, showing where he had escaped.

Her eyes narrowed. "I hate it when he does that."

She looked back at the book she had hidden the gem in. Nopony would ever find it there among all the other books. Well, somepony would, she thought. It had to be kept in the most secret of places. Someplace where even Celestia would not find it. Then she would, when opportunity allowed it, take the other part of the amulet. Then she shall become a master of sorcery. She would be able to use magic that even the most prestigious unicorns could not handle. It was an enticing thought.

"Oh, they'll regret when I get such powers. They'll fall before me. I shall not only rule over them, but I'll prove that Equestria does not belong to the royal bloods!" she then paused. "Oh, and there's my sister too. Can't forget that." She yawned. "Well, looks like my world domination's gonna be delayed. I'll need to keep acting as her little student and then, then I'll strike. I'll show Celestia that I'm not some toy, I'll save Dayshine, and then I'll even kick Wing Beat's hide for good measure. Yeah, that sounds pretty good. First, however, is sleep."

Author's Note:

To those that predicted it being the Alicorn Amulet, good job mates.