• Published 17th Sep 2015
  • 4,400 Views, 4 Comments

Moving On - Excy



Twilight comforts Spike after she sees him crying.

  • ...
15
 4
 4,400

Moving On

"Oh, Spike, how could you ever know what it's like to be totally obsessed with a pony only to find out they're obsessed with somepony else?"

It's been about two weeks since the incident with Trenderhoof, and it's taken a toll on Spike's life. He hasn't been the same. He helps Twilight with whatever she needs, but he's unusually quiet. He doesn't say much anymore, when Twilight asks him if he wants to tag along with Twilight when she meets with the girls, he denies her offer, passing it off by "doing chores" or "taking a nap." He hasn't been the same since then, and Twilight wants to get to the bottom of it.

"Bye, girls!" Twilight waved after the girls, shutting the door as they turn away. When Twilight was inside, she noticed the library seemed the same as before, even though Spike said he'd "clean up while she was gone.

"Spike?" Twilight called. No response. Maybe he's just taking a nap. Twilight thought as she approached the stairs. When she made it to the top, she heard something coming from the bedroom.

"Is he... crying?" She mumbled to herself. She quietly approached the door, with each step the sobbing seemed to get louder, and when she stood face-to-face with the door, it was loud and clear. She opened the door and examined the display before her.

Spike was face down in his basket, blanket covering him. Crumpled tissues sat beside the basket, with the a box not too far from it. On the other side was a picture of him and Rarity together at the boutique. Spike looked up from his basket and saw Twilight in awe. He through himself back into his pillow.

"What do you want?" Spike mumbled from the pillow.

"Well for one, this is my room, too." Twilight giggled, moving closer to Spike. Nothing. At least she tried. "What's wrong?"

"I-I don't want t-to talk about it!" He stuttered in a shout, just loud enough so that it she could hear him clearly from the pillow.

"Spike, you haven't been the same since Trenderoof-"

"D-Don't," Spike broke into a louder sobbing fight just hearing his name. "Don't say his name." Spike uttered.

"Spike, you have to talk to me." Twilight attempted.

"You don't understand, Twilight. Just leave me here to rot."

"I won't be able to understand if you won't tell me, Spike. Please talk to me." Twilight made one final effort. Spike looked back up at her and sighed. He sat up in his basket and stared at his blanket.

"It all started when Rarity got chosen to set up the Ponyville Days festival and she heard that he was gonna be here.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Spike had just finished the presentation him and Rarity set up to reveal the theme for the festival, and he had went behind the curtain to return the props. When he finished, he heard the girls chattering, and stood by the curtain to listen.

"Uh, who's Trenderhoof?" Applejack asked, tilting her head. Rarity gasped.

"What?! How can you not know who Trenderhoof is? Trenderhoof is only the most amazing, handsomest travel writer to have ever traveled or written! Before Las Pegasus became an Equestria travel destination, he wrote about it! Before the culinary revolution in Trottingham, he discovered it! He knows what's going to be hot even before it's tepid!" Rarity giggled. Spike's heart dropped. He leaned closer.

"Sounds like somepony has a little bit of a crush." Twilight said.

"Oh, Twilight, 'crush' doesn't even begin to describe it. He's practically divine. I can't believe he's coming!" Spike stopped listening. He heard enough. Spike stood in shock for a moment before leaving through the back door."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I came back here and laid in bed, crying my eyes out. The mare I've yearned for for so long, just to be shot down by some colt she was obsessed with. Do you know how that feels?" Spike finished, looking at Twilight, who pulled him into a hug. He cried into her chest.

"Spike, I'm so sorry!" She soothed. Briefly after, Twilight released Spike, resting his head on Twilight's shoulder.

"Twilight, ever since that happened, it got me thinking." He said as he stared blankly at the wall, claws folded on his lap.

"And?"

"And I think it's time I," his throat tightened. "I move on from Rarity." Twilight gasped and looked at Spike, going back in for a hug, just to be denied.

"Spike-"

"Not yet. Anyway, I think it's time I move on. I feel like I've been chasing after her for so long, just for my efforts to be in vain. Everything I've done, feels like it's been for nothing."

"Spike, you know that she appreciates everything you do for her."

"I know, I know. I can't really blame her, though. She didn't do anything wrong. It was always just me being stubborn and it hurt me in the end. It still hurts, but what am I going to do? I want to move on and try to focus on other things, but she makes it so hard. I mean, what if something changes and she returns her feelings for me and I've already moved on? I don't want that to happen! And what happens if I don't move on and I keep going after her, but nothing changes? It's gonna get worse. I just can't catch a break, can I?" He sighed again, and Twilight hugged him, he not returning it.

"I... I'm speechless. I don't know what to say."

"And even though I'm still young, me not getting over her already is messing things up for me."

"How so?"

"Isn't it obvious? I can't get over her, but when I try to look for somepony else, everything comes back to 'Is she like Rarity?' ya' know? When ponies ask me what I'm looking for in a marefriend, it's always something Rarity has. Long, purple mane, big blue eyes, and I'll turn somepony down because they aren't like her, and down the line they would turn out to be the best marefriend ever, but I was to stubborn to bat an eye. It's so hard, Twilight." He began to cry into her chest once more.

"Spike, I know little to nothing about romance and things-"

"Obviously." He interrupted.

Twilight ignored it. "-But I know that moving on is going to be hard." Spike looked up at her.

"I thought you said you didn't know anything about romance?"

"Who said I was talking about romance? Spike, I'm talking about when we left Canterlot. I left so muchback there. I left a lot of my life back there. Do you know how I felt about leaving my home behind? I felt awful. I cried at one point because I became so homesick. Moving on is not easy, Spike, but you have to be strong," She looked over at him, tears running down his eyes. "Eventually, you'll be be able to move on and look for brighter things, things that will make you happy, just like Rarity did for you." Spike looked back at Twilight and smiled, wiping tears from his eyes.

"I think I understand, Twilight. It's not going to be easy, though,-"

"And I'll be here for you when you need it." Twilight finished. This time, it was Spike who went in for a hug.

"Thank you, Twilight." He mumbled into her chest. She rubbed his back.

"You're welcome, buddy."

Author's Note:

I'm really not feeling this sad vibe I've been having recently, but it's great for inspiration. First story I wrote on my new computer, so there shouldn't be any mistakes. Let me know if there are, though.

Comments ( 4 )

This seems very "telly: at the start. In particular this paragraph:

It's been about two weeks since the incident with Trenderhoof, and it's taken a toll on Spike's life. He hasn't been the same. He helps Twilight with whatever she needs, but he's unusually quiet. He doesn't say much anymore, when Twilight asks him if he wants to tag along with Twilight when she meets with the girls, he denies her offer, passing it off by "doing chores" or "taking a nap." He hasn't been the same since then, and Twilight wants to get to the bottom of it.

reads like a story description, not something you'd find inside the story.

You've also go some very odd word choices, for example:

Spike looked up from his basket and saw Twilight in awe.

Is Spike in awe of Twilight? Is Twilight in awe of Spike? Why would either of them be in awe anyway?

To be honest, I've lost my sense of sympathy for Spike. Is there really any evidence that proves Rarity even likes him as more than friends? It's getting stale.
Back to the story, first thing I noticed was the opening paragraph which describes a lot of things that could have been expounded upon. Also it seemed odd that Spike avoids interacting with Twilight and everyone and then with Twilight barely prodding him he suddenly opens up.
In conclusion this isn't necessarily a bad story imo and I like that you wrote it but with this theme having been done before arguably better with more depth, as the deep topic of unrequited love should warrant, I feel like it just falls short.

Certainly needs work. It seems like Spike has everything thought out which makes Twilight kinda useless in this. Twilight also isn't the only one to leave Canterlot. True she left her parents and brother, but Spike was also hatched and raised there. In the very first episode, it was shown that he had some relation with other ponies meaning that he had left them behind when they moved even if that present was on Twilight's request.

Login or register to comment