• Published 29th May 2012
  • 1,873 Views, 9 Comments

An Oath - Airstream



We all have something to fight for.

  • ...
3
 9
 1,873

An Oath

The motions are familiar, even comforting. No matter where I am, what my task is, this is a constant. Pull on the undershirt first. Greaves buckled next, making sure each strap is tight and tucked away. Chain mail next, belted snugly but not too tight. Mobility is important. So is breathing, come to think on it. Next comes the plate, eight pieces of it. Each overlapping the other, each providing me with as much protection as the adamantium could offer, unlike my gold and bronze ceremonial armor. Finally comes the helm, glinting coldly in the evening light. No crest to denote rank, nothing to distinguish me from my brothers in arms. The only accession to my position is a single red chit in the breastplate. Even when well polished, it is hardly noticeable. I look at myself in the mirror, checking, double checking, triple checking all fasteners and buckles. I breathe in, satisfied. I am ready to fight. Definitely, truly, horribly ready to fight.

I step out of the tent, dismissing the guards. Most commanders would keep them here as part of an honor guard, but under the circumstances they could be of more use elsewhere. I head for the center of our camp, giving orders and talking with those I lead. The soldiers are nervous. They should be. Our enemies mass before us, black and foul and more numerous than when they had first revealed themselves over a year ago. The party that had attacked our capital was just that: a party. This is an army. Claws and teeth and gleaming, tattered wings cover the plains before us. They wait for the sun to go down, wait for it to blind us and hide them. Our aerial scouts estimated that we were outnumbered seven to one, with more arriving by the hour.

Our orders were simple. Hold them here, for as long as we could. The capital was being evacuated and a skeleton guard manned its defenses. If we could hold through the night, then my sister and her friends could bring their weapons into play. Faced with two goddesses, an army, and the primal forces of creation, the foe would have no chance of victory. Of course, that all depended on how many were here at the time of engagement, how quickly their leader could be eliminated, and when they decided to open their assault.

The trumpets blow, calling us to arms. Silently, with almost no prompting, the assembled might of the Equestrian Army gathers and readies itself to strike down the enemy. Shields are prepared, artillery and ballistae readied, the Air Corps takes to the skies to battle their fliers. The sun creeps toward the horizon, almost gone now. Torches are lit and werelights cast, hovering in the air and spilling light onto the ground. Luna's moon is full tonight, helping us to see our adversaries. The Mage Corps nods to me, their preparations are complete. I stride forward and take my place in the front rank. All eyes are on me. I move in front of the Army and wheel to address my comrades.

"Guardsmen!" My voice rings out over the silent rows of ponies gathered before me. "We stand here as Equestria's first and last line of defense. Over there, gathered in opposition, is the largest external threat ever to face our land, save Discord himself. Your enemy fights without mercy, without pause, taking all and giving nothing back. Your enemy delights in the cries of those you care about, causing you to question those you love, operating through vile deceit and lies. They stand against the values we hold dear. They are the very embodiments of Anger, Cruelty, Gluttony, Distrust and Disloyalty. They are Changelings, and they are here to take our beloved Equestria away from us! And we will not let them have it!" At this, a roar rises up from the ranks, rolling across the plains and causing the Changelings to visibly recoil. A smile crosses my face briefly. The sun is nearly down, despite Celestia's attempts to keep it above the horizon. Soon enough, we will begin to die.

"We stand here as one force, unified in our purpose. We are not Lunar Guard or Solar Guard, not unicorns, pegasi, or earth ponies. We are not Manehattenites, Phillydelphians, Canterlotians, or Los Pegasites. We are Equestrians, we are ponies, we are Guardsmen, and this is where we make our stand!" The sun sets at last, and as one, the black mass rumbles toward us. " For Luna! For Celestia! For Equestria! Charge!" The horns blow, deep and rich, and we thunder forward to destroy them all.

As we close the gap, my cadet training flashes through my head, and I find myself unconsciously reciting the Oath of the Guard. "I am an Equestrian. I am a Guard. I defend my realm with my life, and put the needs of the many ahead of my own. My life is dedicated in service to Happiness, Kindness, Generosity, Honesty, and Loyalty. I place my faith in my comrades, my commander, and my Princess. I pledge to maintain the stability of the realm, and keep its laws and borders safe. I pledge to protect the weak, aid the unfortunate, and help those who cannot help themselves. Mine is a call that few can answer. Mine is a path few can walk. And though my enemies are many, I stand against them proudly."

Close, so close now. I can see the holes in their hooves and the green of their eyes. "I am the Shield that guards, the Light that leads. Let my enemies beware, for I am an Equestrian Guard." The swifter among us have reached the enemy. Screams and shrieks drift through the air. Pegasi and Changelings fall from the sky, spattering blood and ichor. "To Protect." A Changeling locks eyes with me, baring its fangs. "To Obey." We meet and rear, my legs driving it into the ground. I loose a bolt of magic from my horn, and watch as the Mage Corps dispel the illusions the Changelings throw up. I wheel and kick, destroying another of my foes. Spotting a group of Changelings, I charge. "To Guard!"

Comments ( 9 )

Well written, and quite deep. A good insight into how I think Shining Armour would actually take his guard duties, should he ever need to. I'm not sure what else I can say, but I liked it a lot. Favourited, +1'd.

It was good, But I don't believe it deserves the "Sad" tag, Otherwise I found it a nice one shot.

I suspect the 'Sad' tag belongs to the fact that what the Guard is doing amounts to a holding action. All to often, holding actions end up with the holders being killed.:applejackunsure:

This is my first fic. Like the first story I have ever finished, ever. I'm glad it was so well received! Yes, the Sad tag is there because of the circumstances of the story. I thought it might be a bit light for a Sad tag, but better safe, right?

I felt inspired just reading it.

And I'm not even a pony!

Very well done, congratulations.

*wipes eyes before tears start*

Good show sir. Plus 1 and favorite for you.

664528 Wow! It's cool to look back into a time capsule!

Login or register to comment