• Published 6th Dec 2015
  • 22,822 Views, 266 Comments

The Day Spike Stopped Caring - B_25

  • ...
87
 266
 22,822

1 – Indifference

~1~

"Indiffernce"

“Well, that didn’t work,” Spike complained. He brushed the dust from his scales and glanced at the charred flooring. “You know you can’t keep blowing up the library like this Twi.”

The unicorn in question shook her mane out from her eyes, horn still smoking from use. “Spike?! Are you alright? You aren’t hurt, are you? You took the full blast!”

“I’m fine, I’m fine,” he replied, brushing off his shoulders. He checked himself up and down to confirm. “Not even a scale missing.”

“Celestia, I don’t even know what went wrong. That was just supposed to be a simple alteration spell.” She took a deep breath and straightened up her messy mane. “Are you sure you’re alright? Do you feel any different? Any tingling sensations? A third arm? Maybe missing one of your claws?”

“No, I feel fine. I swear.” Spike insisted, raising his claws to demonstrate. “I mean, your spell just exploded in my face, but otherwise I'm all right.”

“Spike, this is serious!” Twilight said, “I don’t know what happened, and I need to know.”

“My snout hurts a bit,” Spike sighed and rolled his eyes. “But honestly, I feel fine.”

Twilight’s eyes darted up and down his small form, checking for bumps, bruises, cuts, scratches or anything of the sort, but he seemed completely unharmed. “Are you sure?” She pressed uncertainly.

The dragon nodded, before his stomach grumbled, smiling guiltily. “Okay, I might be a little hungry.”

Twilight’s eyes bore into him again before she gave up and sighed. “That mess-up scared me a little, but I’m glad you’re alright. C’mon, let’s get some food. I’ll admit, I’m a little hungry too.”

Spike grinned and ran towards the kitchen. “Race ya! Last one there has to make the pancakes!”

Twilight gasped. “That’s not fair! And we can’t eat pancakes again. We had those yesterday!”

Her protests fell on deaf ears as she ran after the dragon, giggling all the way.


“Okay, but seriously, no more pancakes this week,” Twilight chided. “We’ve got to eat some healthy stuff at some point.”

“Pancakes are healthy if you don’t put a mountain of sugar on top, Twi,” Spike pointed out.

“Shush,” she replied with a blush and ushered him up the stairs. “Don’t forget we’ve got to re-organize the library tomorrow.”

“Aww, again?” Spike groaned, climbing each step. “C’mon! We did that last week!”

“It’s good practice! And it helps me keep on top of what books we have at the moment.”

“It’s boring.” Spike harrumphed as he reached the top step. The two of them walked down the hallway and into their shared bedroom.

“Oh don’t be so melodramatic,” Twilight said. “We’ll get started first thing tomorrow.”

“Fine,” Spike grumbled.

“Glad that’s sorted,” she said with a smile. “Now, let’s get you to bed.”

“But I’m not even that tired!” Spike protested. “Can’t I stay up just for five more minutes?”

“No.”

Spike glared at her before crawling into bed. “Fine.”

Twilight smiled. Heading to her bed, she snuggled herself up under the blanket and fell into a peaceful sleep.


The Day Spike Woke Up

Spike groaned at the morning sun, legs hanging off the end of the basket. The sides of the basket didn’t fit Spike like it used to, always resulting in a cramped back when he woke up.

Spike tried to wipe away the sun’s rays with his claw. “No, not yet. Go away!”

Spike yawned, doing his best to scoot away in his basket a little to the left. It would not move as if it were nailed down to the floor. The sun continued to pour on Spike.

There’s…gotta be a way...to destroy the sun, Spike thought. Mind still a haze. He flipped onto his stomach, resulting in no room to lay his head. “Meh,” Spike groaned. The warmth of the sun caused his back to sweat. “Rather not-” Spike yawned once more into his claw “- do any extra work.”

Pushing his groin into the casket, Spike practically moaned upon hearing his back crack. Sighing, he relaxed into his basket and looked over at Twilight’s bed. The mare wasn’t there.


Oh no… Spike dreaded. She probably already has a head start on the re-shelving day. Meaning, the place is going to be an absolute mess. Oh… and books and books! I’m going to have to sing the alphabet over and over just to find out what comes after p.

Spike sighed and closed his eyes.

I really don’t feel like doing chores today. I don’t feel like doing anything. But, if I don’t go downstairs than…than... Spike racked his brain for an answer.

“Or else she’ll...” Spike paused to think about it for a moment. “What? What would Twilight do if I didn’t go downstairs?”

I mean, she might get mad. Go on one of those loud lectures she likes to give. But, do I need to be scared of that?

With the next breath he exhaled, Spike felt all weight leave his body. Gravity no longer held him down. He bit his upper lip - the world around him changed.

The room felt unique to the dragon. The scratches on the wall, to the singular hairs left on the wooden floor. Also, the way the light shined on the ground - Spike relaxed at the sight. Time flowed slowly like it used to do when Spike was younger.

Spike felt stillness. No worries on his mind; the world looking new. Something had changed. Was it change to the world, or a change within Spike? Then Spike thought:

Nah.

Smiling with teeth showing, Spike giggled to himself and snuggled into his basket. The yellow light still intruded past his eyelids, but, compared to doing chores: the compromise wasn’t so bad.


“La! La-la-la! La!.” Twilight merrily paced throughout the kitchen. She danced her way over to the frying pan, letting the smell of the scrambled eggs reach her nostrils.

“Yum!’ Twilight couldn’t help but rear two hooves up. She went back to all fours and levitated a notebook and pencil before her. “Create a healthy - yet delectable - morning breakfast of eggs, apple juice along with a pot of coffee? Check.” Placing the paper and pencil on the counter, Twilight glanced over the kitchen.

“Make a huge mess in the kitchen?” Twilight clamped her teeth and forced a smile. “Unfortunately, check.” She slumped her shoulders.

It all started when Twilight thought flour was needed to make scrambled eggs. Sure enough, when she tried pouring the bag into the pan; the powder added up faster than she expected. Panicking, she threw the flour across the room - further covering the kitchen with its white substance. The melted butter on the stove didn’t help either. Spike had said something about applying warm butter to the pan to prevent the food from sticking.

I guess you’re not supposed to put the butter on top of the burner. Twilight managed to giggle and chuckle in unison. Why hadn’t she just read a cookbook and saved herself this crime?

Pinkie lent me a great book on cooking, but... I wouldn’t be able to read! Twilight thought with a huff. Spike would joke that I needed a book to make eggs.

It’s all about intuition and trying new thing!” Twilight mocked along with a hoof. “He says.”

Twilight sat down at the table along with her food and begun to eat her eggs. They tasted pretty decent, Twilight noted. So, she thought, what’s on the agenda for today?

Well, first things first, Spike needs to wake up and clean this mess. Twilight scooped up the cup of coffee, gently tipping the cup past her lips. The warmth spread throughout her body and helped her think clearer.

As well as see the kitchen better. Twilight tried her best to smile at the mess.

Ah... This place is a disaster; I shouldn’t leave it this much of a mess for Spike. Her eyes wandered to the clock on the wall, where minutes passed by like seconds. Twilight sighed. But, there’s just so much to clean up, and I gotta get to work! The library needs to be redone, a letter is due to Celestia by the end of today, and Rarity needs my help with her dresses later.

So just because you have a lot to do, that makes this okay? Twilight’s subconscious thought. And dang if it wasn’t right.

Well, I’ll admit it isn’t the right thing to do. But, I’m older than Spike - my duties and time are a bit more valuables than his. Besides, I let him sleep in. That should be more than enough to make up for it! Twilight smiled at her own genius. Her subconscious seemed appeased.

So, yeah! Once Spikes finished scrubbing the floors, Applejack will probably come over with muddy hooves, along with her new pie! That’s right! Apparently, she found a way to make pie taste even more like pie! Walking through the kitchen, she’ll…make Spike’s scrubbing redundant. But he’ll be able to handle it. And besides, it’s pie, who wouldn’t want that?

Twilight finished her breakfast and elevated the dirty dishware into the sink. She walked over to the stairs.

“Spiiike!” Twilight called.

After a few seconds of no response, Twilight tried again; louder. “SPIKE!”

Once again, no response.

Twilight huffed. Really, is it so hard to come down when you're called?

Twilight made her way upstairs.


The absence of Spike’s dream brought him no entertainment. So, Spike dreamed of a small green plant. When Spike neared the plant, his body became as light as a feather, and his mind clear as a pond. His tense shoulders loosened down.

“Hehehe,” Spike chuckled to himself.

Tap... Tap... Tap...

Something was poking the back of Spike's head. Turning around to find out who would try to ruin his awesome flower, Spike discovered that another plant had sprouted.

The lavender plant towered over the green one. The branches were as long as octopi tentacle.

“Spike,” the plant commanded. “Wake up.”

The dragon tilted his head. How did it know his name?

“Spike.” It poked him. “Wake up.” Again, it poked him. “Now.” Poke. Poke. Poke. This plant was worse than Pinkie!

Did this plant come from Tartarus? Spike thought. His claw reached out to grab the plant and pull it from its roots.

Why focus on this plant? The thought came to Spike; halting his claw. The other plant is nicer and makes me feel better than this one. Spike stared at his claw, before nodding in agreement. He turned his back on the other plant and sat before the green one.

Behind him, the lavender plant disappeared.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Then Spike was flipped upside down.


“I said, wake up!” Twilight ordered.

Spike blinked a couple of times. The world still loading for him.

“Spike!” Twilight dangled Spike by his tail; swaying him like he was a pendulum. The world finally came to Spike.

“Hey…” Spike muttered, with a goofy smile on his lips. “You look like this plant. A mean, touchy plant from this dream I had.” Spike yawned and rubbed his eyes. The world became less hazy, where plants started to look more like unicorns…”

Spike gasped. “You’re not a plant. You’re Twilight!”

“What?” exasperated Twilight, who rolled her eyes. “Ah… Spike, snap out of it. Do you have any idea what time it is?”

Spike looked out the window. “Morning?”

Twilight groaned and dropped the drake onto the floor. Twilight cleared her throat as if she were preparing a speech. Spike sat up from the ground and sighed, massaging the upper-right part of his head, to stop it from pounding.

“Now, do you know…” Twilight moved back an inch. Tilting her head, she narrowed her eyes on Spike’s face. “Spike, are you okay?”

“Huh?” Spike realized what she was talking about before softly responding. “Huh, what? Oh, yeah. I'm all right.”

“No…” Twilight shook her head. She came close to the drake and motioned for him to move his claw. He complied.

The scales next to Spike’s frills were a darker purple. Oh no, Twilight thought to herself, rubbing the spot gently. It’s a good thing you have scales, Spike, or that could have caused internal bruising.

Twilight gave the spot a peck on the lips. Rubbing the kiss in like it were ointment. Her mother always did the same for her when she would fall.

Wait. Wasn’t I the one who just dropped him? Twilight frowned, ears, tail, and eyes surrendering to the floor.

“Spike, I’m…”

Chores, Twilight. Chores! We don’t have time for this. The books need reshelving; the floor needs to be swept. The kitchen is a disaster, Rarity needs help on overdue dresses, and Applejack needs me to go pie tasting.

Pain surged through Twilight. Sighing, this matter would have to wait till later.

“Spike, what exactly have you been doing up here?”

Spike opened his mouth to speak.

“And don’t tell me you fell back asleep!” Twilight interrupted. Her tail and mane rose back up.

“I fell back asleep,” Spike answered.

“And don’t you dare lie-- Wait, what?”

“And I’m about to fall asleep again.” Spike collapsed onto the floor. “Anything in the world is comfortable when you’re tired enough.”

Twilight wasn’t pleased. Stomping a hoof in front of his face, she turned him over so that he could face her. Twilight made sure her face was nice and close.

“What’s got your fur on fire?” Spike questioned.

“Excuse me?” Twilight shook her in disbelief. “Are you talking back to me?”

“Well… Yeah. I’m questioning why you’re so mad. I mean, you come in here, wake me up using force, and now you’re yelling at me.”

Spike,” Twilight spat through clenched teeth, “there’s a difference between yelling and raising your voice.”

“Then I guess you don’t know the difference.”

Twilight did all in her power to stop her hoof from smacking the little drake. Her breathing came in ragged breaths, in which she did her best to control. Closing her eyes, she battled away any negative thoughts.

Once her breathing was back under her control, Twilight tried again. “It’s perfectly fine, to be a bit irritated, with your number one assistant waking up late,” Twilight lingered on the last word.

“Not my fault the alarm clock didn’t go off.”

“Neither is it my fault, that you, turned it off in your sleep!” Twilight’s voice rose; anger was hiding her little white lie from both herself and Spike.

Spike did not like Twilight’s loud voice and prepared his lungs to match her voice. But he stopped as he withdrew the step -- his mind had asked him a simple question: Why? Spike pinched his chin. What point is there in raising my voice as well?

Wasted time; wasted energy, and anger would be the result. And Spike was too lazy for that.

“Eh... Whatever,” Spike muttered as he took a seat on the floor. Drowsiness and the pounding from his head still burdening him.

Twilight’s anger faded as fast as it took for Spike to sit down. She shook her head -- once again, she got too caught up with what was going on around her. Rubbing a hoof on the bridge of her nose, she calmed herself down.

Looking at the dragon, something did seem off about him. From his attitude which was far different to how he acted last night, to how his head slightly swayed side to side. The guilt from earlier emerged in Twilight, for perhaps she was the cause of this?

Spike saw Twilight wince and used it to his advantage. He prepared his speech.

“You know, I’m still exhausted, Twilight,” Spike began, “I mean, I could drink a cup of hot cocoa, but that’s just prolonging my tiredness. What if I start working, and then, I get a bit drowsy, and I fall off the ladder! How much would that suck?”

She didn’t flinch at Spike’s arguments at all. Her emotions were unreadable to Spike.

This is Twilight I’m talking about, I’ll have to make it to her benefit, Spike thought. So he dumbed it down.

“I would be injured - thus preventing me from assisting you.” It felt like someone put peanut butter in Spike’s mouth when he used the word thus.

Twilight looked at him with concern. Half of her didn’t believe any of this, but the other half… she already hurt the drake enough this morning. But upon seeing the time on her bedside table… “But it’s 9 o’clock! We’ve got a schedule to stick to! We’ve got to get started with reorganizing the library, remember?”

Spike’s gaze met Twilight’s. The two of them looked at one another for a second before Spike spoke up. “I kinda just want to lie in a bit longer.”

“But…” Twilight protested. “Alright, fine. I’ll give you ten more minutes. But I expect you down there and ready to work.” Spike just stood there as Twilight left with a knowing smile. Obviously, she won that argument, Twilight thought to herself.

Slumping his shoulders and sighing, Spike turned over to his bed. Eyes were flickering at the bed. He desired so much for his head to rest on the pillow and be gone from the world for a little while.

But there’s no point in sleeping; I’ll just be thinking about the chores that I’ll have to do. What’s the point of relaxing if you’re just going to be stressed?

Something in that thought pegged Spike. “Chores… That I don’t want to do.” Spike said. Just what in those words caught his curiosity? His eyes narrowed. “Chores… things… stuff that I don’t… want to do.”

The sun’s beams pierced through Spike’s head, a white smoke evaporating left of his head: forming a tiny white ball. Spike cradled his claws in front of his chest, ready to receive the ball. It descended onto the awaiting claws, and he brought the ball before his lips.

And then he blew.

The mist ascended and dispersed into letters. The rays surrounded the four words that heaven had bestowed.

The words read as such:

Just don’t do it.

Spike nodded. His destiny set before him! And destiny told him this:

Just dipski out of the nearest window, Bro.

“Duces,” Spike said, as he leaped out of the window into the outside world. And creating a new exit for the library. An addition Twilight would come to dislike.


“Tch-- OW!”

Spike winced as he landed. Landing on glass wasn’t pleasant as he thought it was. Blood lined down his back and dripped off the glass, yet Spike felt no pain after that. He plucked the shard like it was a dandy-lion, and tossed it into the bushes in front of the library.

Looking up at the library's newest addition, Spike raised his brows and whistled.

Eh, that was quite the fall. Feels like it happened so long ago. Oh well! What’s there to eat? Spike thought.

Spike shrugged his shoulders and sat down. He began to play the bongos on his belly, but it didn’t bring the same happiness as before. The action caused his stomach to growl, which in turn, told what he was going to do.

“Seeing how pancakes are banned, Twilight would make me eat something healthy. But, I don’t want to eat healthily; I wanna eat something… sweet.”

And off to Sugarcube Corner, he went.


“Uh, hello? Spike!” Twilight called once more. “I can recall saying you could sleep in only ten more minutes, but not fifteen! I’m going to come up there!”

Upon arriving at her room, Twilight discovered her bedroom in quite a state: Spike’s bed contained no sleeping dragon; Glass laid scattered across the floor, and the nearby window was missing.

The possibilities the went through Twilight’s mind were endless. As for words, she only had one to say.

“SPIKE!”

Whether the word carried sadness or anger within it is up for you to decide.


Pinkie stuck her head into an oven.

From within, cookies melted onto the tray; steam was arising from them and the sweet smell of chocolate and flour reaching Pinkie's nose. The scent caused an internal debate just to eat the cookies, and let the customers wait even longer for another batch, totally ignoring her responsibility as both a pastry chef and customer service.

But the Pinkie Promise she swore when she took the job forbade this, so off to the display counter the cookies went. Biting down on the tray with a cloth in the mouth, Pinkie retrieved the tray, lightly kicking the door closed.

The last whiff before putting the cookies with the other sweets made her regret that promise. She placed the cookies under the sign. “Straight from the oven, the smell will make you go crazy, and that's a Pinkie Pie Promise!”

No kidding.

Call it Pinkie sense, but when your left ear flaps; right eyes closes; your rump does a little shake, and your tail shoots straight up like an arrow - then it’s time to put the cookie dough aside.

But who triggered this feeling?

Maybe her scaly customer will offer answers. Pinkie smiled at her newest customer.

“Hey-ah, Spike!”

Spike approached the counter. “Hello to you too, Pinks.”

Pinks? Pinkie thought. That’s silly and weird! Spikes never called me that before.

Pinkie gasped, her face full of confusion changed into that of curiosity, as Pinkie narrowed her eyes at the silhouette behind Spike. The figure was bearing resemblance to that of Twilight Sparkle.

Spike didn’t bother looking behind him. He instead rested his head on his claw.

“Where’s Twilight?” Pinkie finally asked.

“At the library… Maybe. Probably… Most likely. Spike said.

She must be doing work - how tiring, Spike thought, patting his mouth as he yawned.

Pinkie tilted her head. “And she’s okay with you coming alone?”

“I guess so?” Spike said. Pinkie didn’t like that answer, so he rephrased it. “Why, do I need permission to get out once in awhile?”

“Well, you are under Twilight’s protection,” Pinkie commented, not expecting an answer. “But you are a teenager now - or at least in pony years; dragons live an super duper long time, right?”

Spike was silent. Not even blinking.

Pinkie clamped her teeth and forced a smile at the awkwardness that seemed to resonate off Spike.

After a while of not receiving a response, Pinkie carried on. “Seeing how your taller, and Equestation law states that if you work twenty-five to thirty hours a week… which, you far exceed, I guess you’re due for time off!” Pinkie exclaimed. With a quick mind comes quick wits.

Spike shrugged his shoulders.

Pinkie leaned on the counter, waving a hoof at the menu above her. “So, what can I getcha, Spike?”

Spike read through the menu, stroking the non-existent facial hair on his chin. He pointed at the menu - which Pinkie turned her head upside-down at to see what Spike was pointing at.

Top left; cookies. Bottom right; muffin. Then exactly in the middle; cupcake.

Up. Up. Down. Down. Left. Right. Left. Right. That’s when Spike’s claw went crazy.

Pinkie blinked; mouth agape, and gave up on trying to match the claw with the menu and just watched Spike try to swat an imaginary fly with a claw.

First, he made some kind of triangle. Then a square. Dimond. Circle. The letter Z. Then Spike lost control of his claw. It was moving all over the place! His claw jittering, yet he kept the same bland expression.

Spike wiped the air with his left claw; like how a teacher would clean chalkboard. And with his right claw, Spike poke small holes into the air. After a quick session of pokes, Spike knew what he wanted.

“So, I’ll get that.”

“Get… what?” Pinkie nervously chuckled. Every time she looked at Spike; an urge came over her to look away. Keeping eye contact with him was too hard.

For the first time today, Spike was confused.

“Aren’t you able to read ponies minds without them saying it?” Spike asked.

“Yeah, but I can’t do that when your claw is all over the place!” Pinkie put it without trying to sound forceful.

But he’s super right about me not being able to read him, Pinkie thought. Is it because he got taller? No, silly! That couldn’t be it, could it?

“Oh, okay then,” Spike said. “I’ll get… everything.”

Pinkie stepped back from the counter. “Everything?”

Spike nodded.

Everything, is he crazy!?

Pinkie opened her mouth as she looked around the room for any hidden cameras. There were none.

“Spike, I know you’ve got a super duper tummy. But, part of the menu is three story cake, a whole tray of cupcake--”

“I know.”

“And-and, you still want the full menu?”

“Yup.”

Pinkie blinked. Puffing her mane to prevent it from flattening. “Listen, Spike. You’re my best friend and all, but... you still gotta pay.”

“And I will,” he answered.

Pinkie blinked. “Do you even have bits on you?”

“Yeah. Of course I--” Spike reached at his waist, his claw clutching at nothing “--oh” He stared at his waist.

Pinkie once again had no clue what Spike was trying to do. He was just staring at his waist as if he were expecting something to puff out of thin air. When nothing ended up smoking, he looked back at Pinkie.

“Huh. I guess I left my pouch when I leaped out of the window.”

“Window?” she asked

“Yeah. Here, let me go get my pouch.” Spike straightened up and relaxed his shoulders. He inhaled a large gust of air. Inside his belly, a cauldron of fire started to build as he compressed the gasses insides his stomach , and exhaled it as an emerald flame, which left a trail through the window.

Spike only stood there, mindlessly looking at the pink mare.

Pinkie held a forced smile. “Uh, Spike. Aren’t you going to go… get your pouch.”

“I am,” Spike answered. Still just standing there.

Pinkie tucked in her lips as she looked around the room. Spike was becoming hard to watch for Pinkie, and she was starting to feel awkward.

After a few moments of nothingness, Spike’s green flame returned and halted in front of his face. Spike held his claw under the flame, as it died away. From within, dropped a purple pouch.

Pinkie’s eyes widened. “Wow, Spike! I didn’t know dragons could do that trick.”

Spike gave a goofy smile, as he tossed the pouch onto the counter. “I think there should be enough bits in there. Let me know if there isn’t.”

Pinkie loosened the string on it, allowing the pouch to be opened. The bits that overflowed from it caused Pinkie to nearly wet herself.

“Spike, are all these bits yours?”

“Yeah…”

“Where did you get this much! It’s enough to cover our menu three times!”

“Meh,” Spike replied.

“Just, where did you get all of these bits!” Pinkie replied as she got to work on deducting her costs.

Spike shrugged his shoulders. “It’s my life savings. All those tips I received, to the bits I found lying on the floor. I saved it all up for something special… but I don’t recall what it was.” Spike placed a claw on his lip as he thought. After a few moments, he gave up.

“Since I don’t remember what it was than that means it wasn’t important enough.”

“Okay,” Pinkie said. Her forced smile was crumbling. The thought of finding a creature whose randomness exceeded her own. Pinkie wasn’t jealous of the dragon. She was scared of him.

Pinkie finished putting aside her costs from the bag and tossed it back to Spike. He failed to catch it -- he didn’t even attempt to reach out a claw. Luckily, the pouch landed on the floor without any bits falling out.

Spike stood there, spacing out. Pinkie waved a hoof in front of him. Taking a few tries before he came back.

“Uh, Spike. Your pouch?” Pinkie pointed a hoof directly at it.

“Oh,” Spike said. Reaching down and picking it up.

“Spike… are you feeling okay, today? Not okay, okay. Like the okay, you say when you aren’t feeling sad. But the other okay. The okay that says you're okay!”

“I’m okay,” Spike said. Pinkie smiled.

“I think.”

Pinkie sighed. She gave up on the whole matter. Spike was acting weird. So what? He would never be as weird as Pinkie. Besides, she had a huge order to bake.

I wonder if I’m the only one that’s been baking today, Pinkie thought, as she entered the kitchen.

Spike blew the pouch back home and took a seat by the window. He didn’t take the seat because he wanted to look outside, nor for the light that shone on the table. He simply felt like sitting there, so he did.


The Ponyville center clock chimed. Confirming to its citizens that afternoon soon approached.

Spike patted his stomach. Pinkie had no clue on how such a feat could be done, but Spike did it. He ate the entire menu.

When the cart full of sweets was rolled before him, Spike didn’t say anything or do anything except eat. Pinkie prepared her speech. “You did good, Spike,” she would say. “You really did -- here, let me put the extras in a tubble ware container.”

That cart didn’t stand a chance. Spike uttered his thanks, handed Pinkie a tip, and began to chow down. And just before the afternoon chime, he’d finished his cart and headed out the door. The dragon didn’t even give a victory speech.

Outside, basking in the sunlight, Spike stretched -- trying to loosen what parts of his body that weren’t filled with food. He eyed the bright blue sky; taking a whiff of air.

“The clouds sure are nice today,” he said, arms as high as they would go. He brought them down to his sides. “Welp, time to go declare my crush on Rarity.”

Spike shuffled over to Carousel Boutique.


On his arrival, Spike did not check to see if he had fresh breath. Nor did he make sure his scales shined in the light. He also said no to formalities, and opened the door to the fashionista and waltzed right in.

“Sweetie Belle!” Rarity called from within the kitchen. “I’ve told you once, I’ve told you twice! No leaving this house until your room is clean and tidy! And, not only that but who sneaks out through the front door?” Rarity’s voice came closer. “I mean, a window I could understand. But the front door is simply-- Er.”

Spike sat down on a nearby couch -- a smirk on his face.

“Oh... Spike. Um, I’m afraid, that, I didn’t hear you knock,” Rarity giggled as if to clear the air.

“That’s because I didn’t knock,” Spike replied.

“Oh--oh...” Rarity looked elsewhere. She tried to bring her eyes back to the drake, but her eye would just not obey. Just, what was so different about little Spikey-Wikey today?

Take a deep breath, Rarity, Rarity bought and complied with her thoughts. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. “Ahh,” Rarity breathed, her body at peace. With a small smile, she went to look at the drake.

Her eyes wouldn’t do it. Rarity tucked her lip and bit down, trying to keep from screaming. Once again, after a few breaths, she placed her focus on the wall.

“W-Well-” Rarity cleared her throat “-I do suppose you’re always welcome here. But, uh, darling? Do mind knocking next time, you know, for privacy’s sake?”

Spike shrugged his shoulders.

Rarity held her mouth agape a few seconds. Not quite sure what to say. “Uh. Does… that mean yes, Spike?”

“I guess.”

Rarity rolled her eyes. Now isn’t this just typical! Rarity thought. First thing in the morning, I have two clients cancel their dresses while I’m halfway finished with their order. Then another two clients come in, requesting a suit and dress be completed by the end of tomorrow night.

Oh, but of course Sweetie is going through a phase, where she doesn’t want to listen to me! And now, there’s something different about Spikey that I can’t even look at him! Why is he so awkward today?

Rarity closed her eyes and sighed. No. Stop that Rarity. Don’t let your worries control your life! Breath, breath. There you go. Now, be a good friend to our dear guest Spike. Isn’t it evident that something must be bothering him?

“Now, Spike,” Rarity began, “is there anything I can get you? Water, tea, a lending ear, counseling hug, a slap to the face to bring you back to reality?” Rarity listed.

Spike was silent for a moment, then shrugged his shoulders. “Nah, I'm all right.”

Rarity’s scream was muffled by her hoof. She hid her annoyance in that little fake smile. “Did you come to help out? Cause that would be, indeed, really-” she did her best not to scream “nice.”

Spike’s deadpan expression hadn’t changed since he came in. “Sorry, Rares. But I don’t feel like working today.”

Rarity bit her hoof. Spike didn't know if the noise of steam came from the kettle or from Rarity’s ears. He didn’t spend too much time thinking about it. Spike just sat there. He didn’t wiggle his feet off the chair, nor did he look around the place. He simply sat there, intent on doing nothing.

Rarity, on the other hoof, did her best to speak through clench teeth. “So, Spike. Why are you here? Hmm?” She raised her eyebrows.

Spike took a few seconds before answering. “Oh, yeah-” it seemed momentary, Spike forgot his reasoning “-I came to ask you out.”

“Ask me out?” Rarity repeated, anger leaving. “In what context?”

“Context… Context…” Spike placed a claw on his tongue. He closed his lips on the claw. “I don’t remember what that word means, and don’t care.” He took his claw out from his mouth. “But who care’s, look, I like you, so will you date me?”

“Oh…” Rarity rubbed her eyes. I knew two cups of coffee weren’t going to be enough for today. She wagged her head. “No. No. No! Not today, Spike. Please! Just not today.”

“Oh,” Spike murmured, looking elsewhere for a moment. “Well, alright.” He looked back to her with no clear expression. “Do you mean to say you won’t have today, or ever?”

“I. Think...ever.”

“Ah,” Spike said, blinking his eyes. “Okay.” He kicked off from the couch and walked to the nearest window. “That’s chill. Thanks for letting me know.”

Rarity clenched her teeth and took deep breaths. Body feeling weak, she wasn’t sure what to think. Spike’s voice had no emotion to which Rarity could pick up on - just what was going through that dragon’s head?

What to do next? Spike thought. I kinda feel like cotton candy.

Rarity’s attempt to hold the water back failed, as a few tears rolled down her cheek. Nothing else on this day mattered to Rarity; all of her pity must be paid towards the dragon.

“Spike… I’m so-so sorry for withholding this for so long. I-I wasn’t sure of my feelings. You were such a cute baby dragon – that little tummy you used to have gave me the giggles.” Rarity giggled wearily at the memory. The giggles ceased all too quickly. “The dragon you’re becoming, I know you’re going down a good path, and you will achieve many things. And I know -- and I know, you will find a mare or female dragon more deserving of your sweetheart.”

“But I know I’m not that mare. For, when this all started…” Rarity halted in her words. Upon carefully inspecting the dragon, she noticed, Spike hadn’t been paying attention; his eyes were fixated on the sky beyond the window.

“Spike?” Rarity questioned. Coming closer to the dragon, his shoulders were slumped; his eyes unmoving, and no tears to his eyes.

Rarity swallowed. Powerless to stop the tears in her own eyes. So much for her mascara.

Poor little Spike, Rarity thought to herself. She proceeded to sit down next to her heartbroken friend, joining him in observing what was beyond that window. Spike remained still.

Has my rejection transformed him into some robot? Rarity thought. Unable to talk in fear of croaking. Afraid to move his eyes, in case of the tears behind be released! Spike, my dear, I’m sorry for what I have done.

Pegasi flapped their wings. Gaining both speed and height in their travels along the blue sky. As if they were following the blueness to some end, even when the sky is limitless. Even if it were in vain, that adventure would be fun. This is what Spike thought.

Rarity’s tears stopped rolling. She gulped thinking of what to say next. Now was the time to comfort the drake. Hopefully, her voice wouldn't croak. “Spike,” she whispered.

Spike kept watching the pegasus in the sky. Rarity watched too, as the pegasi tore the clouds apart, their wings spreading against the vast sky.

“Spike,” Rarity said once more, “it’s okay to cry. I won’t look, I’ll ignore any whimpers. But, just try to listen to me, okay.” Rarity took a breath. “I know, that we’ve spent a lot of time together. And, judging from Twilight’s account, that you must’ve fallen in love with me at first sight. Oh, how first sights are either magical or destructive.”

“All these years, Spike we’ve… been-” Rarity tilted her head upon looking at the drake. Once again, he’d been ignoring her. Lowering her eyebrows, Rarity licked the back of her teeth. Is he ignoring me because of his sadness - because, Spike, I’m trying to help you. Ignoring me doesn’t help anypony. Or is there something more important going on in your mind right now?

Rarity snickered; not likely.

“I want to go to… Nah. I’m gonna go to Cloudsdale,” Spike said, smirking.

“Er- what?”

Spike turned to face her. “I’ve always wanted to go there, but you girls kept me back at the library for whatever reason.” Rarity bit her upper lip, not sure what to say. Spike scratched the side of his head. “I mean, don’t worry about it, R. You girls had good reasons.”

He looked away from Rarity for a moment, his eyes narrowed. After a second or two, he shook his head.

Wait, Rarity thought, did Spike just call me R.

“So”- Spike stretched his body -“Imma go.”

“Spike, are you, feeling okay?”

“I’m flowin’,” Spike responded, yawning afterward. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m… feeling just fine, thank you. But, Spike dear, I just rejected you.”

“Yeah. That happened,” Spike said uninterested.

Rarity grew tired of Spike ignoring her. So she used to magic to pull down the blinds; obscuring the light to the room.

“Spike, I’m afraid I’m a little confused here. Correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t you in love with me at first sight?”

“Yeah, I would dream of all the things we would together: marriage, kids - our future. And the many different ways I would whisk you off your hooves.”

“So—” Rarity took a moment to breathe. There were no words that could fit what her thoughts had to say. “Why aren’t you more upset! Or, are you even angry?”

“Meh. Not really.”

“My point, exactly! Spike, I-I know this must be hard, but I don’t want for you to be hiding your emotions like this. Even if we can’t be together — I still want to be there for you.”

“Oh, then you don’t have to worry about a thing: I’m not holding anything in,” Spike said. “I’ve already accepted that we can’t be together, and, I’ve come to a conclusion: I just don’t care.” He lightly chuckled.

“You-” Rarity shook her head “-you don’t care?” Rarity asked, offended.

“Yeah. What happened, it’s in the past: stuff is history.” Spike pulled down the nearby sash cord, and the blinds ascended: filling the room once more with light. Spike breathed upon seeing the clouds.

“Maybe I’ll get the special cloud-cotton-candy there. But, how does cloud work its way into cotton candy? Hmm.”

I-I just rejected him! Rarity thought. Wasn’t I everything to him? Waking and dreaming to the image of me; the years spent trying to court me! Of course, I pretended not to notice, but pleasant it was for someone to have me on their mind.

And now comes the time I must softly lay him down. He's too bothered with darn cotton candy!

Cotton candy? Spike, I stomped on your heart!

Rarity wagged her head and sighed. “Spike, how are you even going to get to Cloudsdale? You’ve grown taller, but you don’t have wings.”

“Eh, that’s true,” Spike replied. He patted his back, just in case, y’know, some might of grown over the conversation. With that not the case, Spike had a different alternative. “Well, I guess I’ll just steal the Twinkling Balloon.”

“Spike. You can’t use a hot air balloon without Twilight’s permission!”

“Hence the word steal, and who's going to stop me?” Spike didn’t say that to sound tough. He simply asked.

“I guess… no one,” Rarity murmured. For she was no tattle-tale.

“Alright. Well, good luck with your orders. I’m going, to uh, peace out. Laters.” Spike took his leave out the front door.

As for Rarity, well… she needed a moment to sit down and process recent events. Her mind wouldn’t flow. Events didn’t run straight for her — they flowed in zig-zags. So Rarity gave up in the past. And thought about the now.

Fur is good; fur is really good! Rarity began to think. It’s soft; it keeps us warm, and it could be quite ticklish at times. But, if you already have fur, then it isn’t a necessity to have on a partner. Rather, I imagine scales rubbing against fur would elicit the most pleasurable of feeling.

There’s a saying: you tend to appreciate what you’ve lost. Rarity watched from the window as Spike ambled down the street.

And… that tail. Rarity’s brow raised on its own. It could serve multiple… purposes. Rarity giggled to herself. My, him hearing of such an idea yesterday would cause him to collapse. But, today, it’s quite apparent: he doesn't care.

I’ve always wanted to find a prince; someone who will whisk me away to our very own castle. We’ll dance at the ball; eat at the table with manners. My prince will care about every single detail to make everything perfect. Now? I don’t think I want a prince anymore.

Rarity licked her lip, watching as Spike disappeared into the crowd. I think, perhaps, I desire someone that’ll do anything.

“An error has been made, in my rejecting Spike,” Rarity declared. Standing up on unbuckling hooves. Rarity was unsure of what came over the dragon, but one thing was for certain: she hoped Spike would never change.

Out the door; onto the road. Just in time to catch, the cutting of rope. And with a spout of green flame, a dragon ascended to the sky.

Rarity huffed and smacked the ground. “Well, if this is going to be the case. Then I’ll just wait for him back at the library.”

A drake to the sky; a unicorn to the library. If Spike cared enough, he would say: “A day better at the library.”


“Spike is fine. Spike is fine! He’s fantastic — superb even! He… may be bleeding, along with, broken, broken, broken…” Twilight shook her head. “He’s fine, Twilight. He’s more. He’s more than. He’s…”

Twilight stared at the wall. Her breathing was coming in ragged breaths. Swaying and wobbling from side to side. Her head wouldn’t stay still. Eyes focused on the wall; Twilight even ignored the white figure that broke down her door.

“Ohh! Twilight,” Rarity called, dancing into the room with such a sway. “Dear, would you be so kind as to put on some tea? I have quite the story to tell.” Rarity paused, wondering why Twilight hadn’t greeted her upon her arrival.

Ah, to loose pins for manners! Rarity thought, taking a seat.

“Actually, Dear, forget the tea. The story must told right this instance!”

Twilight kept staring at a wall.

“Ah hem,” Rarity coughed. “Well, since you asked, I think I’ve found my special somepony.” She leaned forward, mouth agape, waiting the incoming gasp surely to come.

Twilight kept staring at a wall.

Rarity sat back and closed her mouth. “I know, it’s amazing! The one whose possessed my heart isn’t a prince, but rather, a furious yet kind beast!” Raising her eyebrows, Rarity waited for the for the screaming Twilight would surely do.

Twilight kept staring at a wall.

“Yes yes, I know it’s a bit bizarre. But I assure you, this beast is somepony familiar with us. Do you want a hint?” Rarity waited no longer than a second. “It’s a dragon,” she whispered. Biting her lips. “Do we know many kind dragons?”

Twilight kept staring at a wall.

“Well, there’s only one dragon that can capture my heart, and it is Spike! Spike the dragon!”

Twilight stopped staring at a wall.

“What”- Twilight whipped her head -“You’ve seen Spike!?”

“My of course! He came over to my house, acted like a tough dragon, and stole my heart. My, the little—”

“Unimportant!” Twilight shouted as she shot up from her spot in front of the wall she was looking at and teleported across the room to where Rarity was sitting. She placed both hooves on either side of Rarity’ face and brought her eye to eye. “Where. Is. Spike?”

“Uhh.” Rarity struggled to breathe as the cold and intense glare she was receiving from Twilight brought cold sweat down her back. Twilight’s eyes turned Rarity’s body into a glass. Licking her lips, Rarity pointed a shaking hoof to the window. “There’s your answer.”

Tracing the hoof to the window, Twilight saw what was beyond it. She dropped Rarity to the floor and raced to the view of the window. Out the window, Twilight saw her balloon, being taken by the winds to the city above. With one passenger inside.

“Twilight?”

Twilight blinked and looked to the floor with only one thought in mind.

I wonder if I still have that old rope in the basement.


Up. Just beneath the big blue sky.

Inhaling. Feeling the coolness in your lungs. And, after a few seconds, letting it all out. That’s a breath of relief for Spike, as he hung over the basket of the hot air balloon. Air was rushing past him as Ponyville shrunk smaller and smaller. Twisting his head, Spike watched as Cloudsdale grew larger.

He sighed and rested down — leaning his head against the basket.

This is nice, Spike thought. Throughout the day, his mind resembled that of the big blue sky: both were clear of any clouds. Well, besides clouds that supported a city: those are an exception.

Spike clasped his claws together; his breathing slowed. With each breath, something in his body loosened. Something caused his mind to clear. He didn’t think about what the reason may be. Instead, he used what energy he had to simply enjoy.

Gusts of wind interrupted this peace; the balloon began to sway. Then another gust attacked. Then another. Another. Another! The basket swirled up, threatening to tip right over. Spike grabbed hold of the rope: steadying the balloon as well as preventing any more unexpected strikes of wind.

Pegasi flew past the left of the aircraft. Some went by so fast, to get where they're going quick. Others went slowly as they enjoyed the same breeze as Spike. Whatever the speed, everypony was enjoying their day in the sky.

A pegasus, so fast that Spike saw only a Rainbow colored mane, brought along with her wind strong enough to cause the balloon to do a loop-de-loop. Spike was tossed up and landed back down in the basket with a thud. Standing up and dusting himself off, Spike watched as Rainbow Dash passed through a line made of cloud.

Soarin reached the line a few seconds later. Upon his arrival, Dash was already chanting her name.

“Urgh!” Soarin whined. Striking a cloud into nothingness.

Dash patted Soarin on the shoulder. Offering that famous smirk, she was known for. “Don’t worry about it, Soar. You’ll win next time.”

Soarin smiled.

“That is, as long as the mare isn’t me!” Rainbow laughed at Soarin, whose smile dropped into a frown. Dash coughed into her hoof as she unfurled her wings. “What? Do they call you Soarin because you’re a sore loser!” Dash sang the last part. Every breath of Soarin came in groans.

Dash finished with her laughter and polished a hoof against her chest. “Now, a deal’s a deal. Have fun working my five to ten!”

“Dahhh!” Soarin punched a cloud. And screamed up at the afternoon sun — Dash flew away happily.

What to do… What to do! Dash thought, her wings taking autopilot. Now how should I spend my day? I could help AJ out on the farm… but I did just get off work, so no sense inviting it back.

I know. I’ll do something responsible: napping! Now, should I sleep on Mcloudy over Ponyville? Or should I sleep on a cloud around here? Choices, choices.

Dash then noticed a familiar balloon ascending into the sky.

Hold up- Dash stopped flying -isn’t that Twilight’s balloon; what’s she doing here?

The balloon landed on Cloudsdale; the fire from within dimming. Out from the basket, came Spike the Dragon.

“Spike?” Dash blurted. “What the heck is he doing here? And, where is Twilight?”

Spike landed on Cloudsdale. For a total of two milliseconds. On the third millisecond, Spike phased through the cloud and plummeted towards the town from whence he came.

Dah... Pens on paper! The thought raced through Spike’s mind. His arms were flailing helplessly. Perhaps there was an invisible ledge he could grab hold of. No ledge existed. Spike would meet his doom. And his life — it would flash before his eyes.

As if flailing around would be any good, Spike thought, stealing a breath. hoping that someone will swoop down and save me. But then again: will they save me in time? Will they expect a reward? Will I be laughed at? Worry worry worry!

Or, I could relax; enjoy the fall. I’m going to die either way, so might as well enjoy the ride.

Spike retracted his arms and legs; two claws supported the back of his head. Laying back against the uplifting wind, the sky disappeared behind Spike’s closed eyelids. Each heavy breath abducted a weight from within.

Falling. Spike laughed. The Crystal Empire came to mind.

That was fun.

Something poked Spike. Eyes opening, Spike saw Rainbow Dash — mirroring him. Except her rainbow-mane swirled along with the wind.

“Sup, Spike. Havin’ a nice fall?” Dash shouted over the wind.

“Yeah, it’s not too bad; relaxing as I fall to my death,” Spike answered.

“Oh, so you actually are in trouble.” Dash looked away for a moment. Then shook her head. “Um, did you, ah, want me to save you?”

“Meh. Only if you want to.”

Rainbow did a double take. “Huh!?”

Spike yawned as he cracked his neck. Dash just stared at him.

“Y’know, for a dragon who's about to die, you don’t look that concerned.”

“Eh...That’s because I’m not.”

Dash huffed. Just the way Spike talked; his tone. Why was he coming off as a bit of a prick? Like someone who knows they need something, but won’t ask for it. Rainbow raised a brow at his behavior. “Spike, if you want someone to save you, you’re gonna have to ask.”

“Meh. That’s cool.”

“I mean it! Everyone's really going to be sad once they see your body!”

“Eh. They’ll get over it.” Spike yawned while weakly waving his claw in rainbows direction.

That caused both brows to go up for Rainbow Dash. Is Spike suicidal? Depressed? A second glance told her that wasn’t the case. Then, what was up with this dragon? Dash smiled once she figured it out. “Do you have some new trick up your scales? Did ‘ya grow wings?”

“No wings. But I did grow a bit taller.”

The smile died on Dash. “Let me get this straight: you’re going to die, even though, all you have to say to fix all this is-” Dash brought her hooves together, frowned, and puppy dogged her eyes “- please, rescue me all so awesome Rainbow Dash! There’s no way I’ll live unless you save me!”

“I don’t fear dying today,” Spike said.

Dash crossed her hooves and shook her head. “Alright. Suit yourself.” Dash blasted off into the clouds.

Spike closed his eyes for the last time. Call it a sixth sense, but Spike felt the ground approaching.

And he would’ve met it too if it weren't for those darn blue hooves swooping down and redirecting his fall.

“Ugh!” Rainbow spat and groaned. Her wings flapped double time in order to gain height. “You weren’t kidding about getting taller, but you failed to mention how much weight you put on! I missed when you were a baby: you weighed less.”

“Height brings along weight, I’d assume you’d know this,” Spike replied. He wrapped his claws around the soft fur of her underbelly, just below her wings.

“Do you want me to drop-- DAH!” Dash entire body shivered as she felt Spike hugging her. She looked down at him “What do you think you’re doing!?”

“Holding onto you, so I don’t fall?”

“Can’t you do that any other way?!”

“Unless you wanna throw me around your back.”

“Nice try, hot-shot. But you’re not riding me like you do Twilight.” Rainbow Dash relaxed as her wings ascended at a decent pace. But her mind still flamed; Spike didn’t seem all too grateful for his rescue. “I’m taking you back to your balloon, which you’re going to fly back to Twilight.”

“No thank you.” Spike took his claws off the mare and did his best to break free from her grasp.

“Don’t let go you, idiot!” Dash shouted, forced to embrace Spike. Why do I have to be the one to save him? she thought. Despite having to hug the dragon for lifesaving purposes, Dash felt her cheeks warmed. “Look, we’ll discuss this after I get you back to the balloon.”

Spike stopped his struggling. Letting his claws to fall by his sides and allowing himself to be lifted. His face was buried into her chest, so there was some difficulty in breathing. But Spike could hear the faintest beat of her heart. And that pleased him. But, what he liked even more than that was the soft blue fur. The way it felt against his scales, the slight tickle they brought along. It’d been awhile since Spike was this close with anypony. And he sure missed how fur felt.

Spike found himself wrapping his arms around Dash.

Rainbow looked down at Spike. “You better not be getting any funny ideas.”

Spike shrugged his shoulders.

A pegasus was hugging a dragon; a dragon was hugging a pegasus. The duo ascended the sky together. Even if only one of them had wings.

The duo soon safely returned to the basket of the Twinkling Balloon — Dash kicking Spike off of her body. He landed with a thud, but instead of complaining, he stood back up and rolled his shoulders. Dash landed in front of him and sat down looking at him with a firm look in her eyes. “So. Where’s Twilight?”

“At the library the last time I checked,” Spike said.

“And why are you here alone?”

“Cause I felt like going to Cloudsdale.”

“You just felt like going?” Dash asked with a tilt of her head. “You mean, she didn’t send you on a quest? O-or to find somepony important?”

“I’m here on my own free will.”

Dash shook her head. “You just felt like going, so, you went?”

Spike nodded his head.

“Oh, oh-oh!” Dash exclaimed. Now, this wasn’t what Dash was expecting from Spike. He was always the tag-along buddy Twilight brought along, who always kept to himself. Sure, here and there he would make his opinion known. But when it came to a confrontation, Spike cleared the way. Heck, he’d lay on the floor and let you step on him. So, for him to do this… well, it was out of the ordinary.

Rubbing her chin, Rainbow smiled. Something’s different about Spike. But what is it? Ha! The mystery of Spike! She inched closer to the dragon.

“So,” she leaned her head on her hoof, “what else have you done today?”

Spike responded by trying to jump over the railing again. Dash bit his tail before he could leap and pulled him back. “Will you stop doing that!”

“Don’t get me wrong, Dash,” Spike began with a tired voice, “I like you”- Dash shuffled uncomfortably -“but I don’t really care about your questions. I just wanna explore and get cotton candy.”

The sky was clear of any other pegasus, Rainbow Dash noted. So she closed in on Spike. “If I show you around Cloudsdale, will you tell me all about what happened today?”

Spike thought about it for a moment. Meh. If I want to see all the good parts, and the history behind them, then Dash is my best bet. “Meh, sure.”

“Alright!” Dash uppercut the air in excitement, and proceeded to hop over the rail and onto the cloud. She turned to face Spike. “I’ll be right back; no leaving the basket!” Dash struck a hoof at him and left.

Spike stood up and dusted himself off. In the distance, he could make out a cotton candy factory that piqued his curiosity. And, as if forgetting about the whole plummeting thing, Spike jumped over the railing.

And was swatted back into the basket.

“What did I just say!” Dash shouted, voice muffled slightly by the pouch in her mouth. She sighed. “Anyways, I got the stuff.”

Tilting her head, dust poured from the pouch onto Spike’s face. Some dust invaded his nostrils, causing him to sneeze.

Spike looked to Dash. “Hey, Dash? Is that Plot Convenience’s Magical Dust?”

“You know it!”

The two began to laugh, as previous events disappeared from memory. Once the giggles died down, Spike asked the one question that would determine if he would have to make a run for it.

“So, are you going to take me back to Ponyville?”

“Not gonna lie, that it didn’t come to mind when somepony was acting like a jerk. But, since you’re already here, might as well show ‘ya around.” Dash flashed a cheeky smile.

“Hehe.” For the first time today, Spike smiled. For the first time in a while, Spike enjoyed himself.

This happiness proved contagious as Rainbow also began to giggle. “So, are we going to explore Cloudsdale or what!?”

Not needing to be told twice, Spike did what he desired. He hopped over the railing of the balloon and landed on Cloudsdale. It felt like standing on a tense trampoline, only if you jump, you may not bounce.

“So, Squirt.” Dash joined Spike on the clouds. She polished a hoof against her chest, speaking in a deadpan tone “where do you wanna—”

Spike started to make his way to the factory in the distance, leaving the mare talking to herself.

“Hey!” Rainbow dashed after the drake, but her legs halted as she found Spike was on the path that led to the Rainbow Factory. Rainbow’s mind pulled a blank on what she should do.

Then the dragon turned left. Dash breathed in relief, dipping her head as her heart calmed. He just wants cotton candy.

Dash caught up with the dragon, as the two went to get cotton candy.


“Yo. So like, you weren’t kidding,” Spike chuckled as he tossed a piece of cotton candy into his awaiting mouth. “This is the best cotton candy, of all time. That factory doesn't have enough cotton candy to fill what my mouth wants.”

Dash burst into laughter. Spike remained clueless as to why, and did not think on it long; he returned to eating his cotton candy.

The factory was excellent for the duo. And, while Spike would never expose the pegasus’ secrets, he knew that the key to perfect cotton candy involved clouds. But wouldn't tell Twilight or anypony else that: it’s a secret to everypony.

Spike had bought two cones. Rainbow had mistaken one for her own, but upon finding that wasn’t the case - she simply stole it. But Spike didn’t mind.

These are the events that led to the duo sitting on a bench and eating cotton candy.

While the two ate, Spike thought of nothing but the feeling of cotton candy melting on his tongue, whilst Dash’s mind was focused on what Spike was thinking about.

Maybe Spike gained the ability to… not let things affect him? Dash thought. Or, or! Maybe he’s able to let things go more easily. Dah! Those don’t sound right. She sighed and examined the cotton candy; tastebuds indifferent to the sweetness.

Dash debated about just tossing the cone. But Spike stood up from the bench and begun to walk once more. Dash gleefully shoved the candy down her throat. Finally! She could find more clues on what was different with the drake.

Rainbow walked along Spike. “So, what’cha think of Cloudsdale so far?”

“Meh. It’s not too bad.”

“Not too bad?” Dash rattled. “Dude, your vocabulary must be messed, if ‘not too bad,' means, awesome to you.”

“Alright. Alright! I’ll admit it: this place is kind of cool” Spike said along with a chuckle. “The sight… the view is pretty cool. And, just by looking around I know my day is pretty much filled with things to do. But, mostly importantly—” Spike halted in his tracks, taking a moment to relish the gentle breeze tickling his frill “—the wind up here is pretty nice.”

Dash turned around, a smirk playing on her lips. “I’ve noticed something different about you.”

“As have I,” Spike answered. “But, what have you noticed?”

“Well.” Rainbow drew nearer to Spike. “It’s the way you’re acting; the way you're talkin’. It’s not, y’know, how normal, you talk. It’s like you have no expression in your words.”

Spike shrugged his shoulders. “Words should express what you’re feeling — not the other way around.”

Rainbow pointed her hoof at Spike’s face. “And that’s the other thing! You have more confidence in yourself. Well… more confidence in yourself than you ever have”

“...Meh...”

“And, you say that word a lot too.”

“Meh?” Spike responded while cocking an eyebrow.

Rainbow sighed, but couldn’t help but smile. Playfully slapping the drake on the shoulders. Spike chuckled as he went to hit his friend back, but, upon realizing that this was Rainbow Dash. A better thought came to mind as a sly grin made it’s way onto Spike's face.

“Alright,” Spike said cockily. “You announced some of my differences, so it’s only fair I get to announce some of yours.”

“Ahh...Say what now?”

Spike coughed into his claw; Clearing his throat. “Firstly, you’ve allowed your mane to grow, eh—” Spike rattled his claw “— a little longer. Does it suit you?” Spike bounced his head left and right before coming to a conclusion. “Alright, it does look good on you.”

Rainbow Dash tilted her head. “Uh. Thanks?”

“Now, you brushed your mane, then purposely ruffled it to give it that RD look.”

Dash bit her upper lip and took a step back. Her bathroom didn’t have any windows, so how would Spike know this?

“I’m going to assume you went through this extra effort to seduce Thunderlane, guaranteeing he’d be too dazzled by your looks.”

“You were watching?!”

Spike ignored her comments. “You also applied a little cream to both sides of your mouth to combat the small wrinkles developing in the corners — which you only have because you smile so much.”

Spike coughed into his claw as his shoulders slumped. His voice went back to monotone “Those were the differences in you.”

Dash responded with exasperated breathing. He’d gotten every detail right. Spike beat her in the way she couldn’t beat anyone else: mentally.

“You really are a smart one, aren’t you?” Dash suggested with closed eyes.

Spike shrugged his shoulder as he began to walk. “Meh. I’m not smart, just, good eyes and lies are all.” Spike tilted his head. “Besides, intelligence is relative.”

“Oh no, you’re not getting away with that.” Dash cut in front of him and started walking backward. “You don’t talk about yourself often – and I doubt you'll admit this – but, I’m willing to bet you’ve read as many books as Twilight has.”

“Easy there,” Spike waved a claw as if to back her off.

That is a good question… just how many books have I read by now?

Placing a claw on his tongue, Spike spoke. “There’s no way I’ve read as many books as Twilight – I’m not that insane.” Rainbow stifled back her laughter as Spike continued. “But I have read all the books she’s recommended.”

“And how many books is that?” Rainbow questioned.

Spike was too deep in thought to hear her. “I mean, biographies are neat, but classic literature is where it’s at.”

“Spike!”

Spike stirred. “Oh, my bad. What was your question?”

“How many books have you read?!” Dash exclaimed.

“Uh,” Spike began counting his claws, rising each claw after softly muttering a number.

Dash waited patiently.

“Fifteenth, eighteen. Twenty– Ah crud.” Spike clenched his claws and begun anew.

“One. Two. Three.”

“JUST TELL ME HOW MANY DARN BOOKS YOU’VE READ.”

Spike stepped back and dusted off his shoulder. “Alright, alright. Geeze.” He drew a breath. “At least, half the library I guess?”

“...Whoa,” Rainbow’s anger faded. “Really?”

“Yeah.”

“Spike, that’s a pretty significant number.”

If you consider that a big number, you math teacher must have either gave up on you or deemed you a failure from the beginning.

“Meh,” Spike expressed. “I–I guess. No, no. Not really.”

Dash mouth went agape. “What mean do you mean by that?”

“Well.” Spike sighed. This topic troubled him deeply, so generally, it would end here. “Even if I read more books or fewer books; Twilight still understands more than I do.”

“Whoa whoa whoa!” Rainbow sat her rear down onto the cloud. “What’s that suppose to mean?”

“It means I have some doubts about me,” Spike said coming to a halt. His tone was remaining nonchalant; his eyes remained focused with Rainbow’s. “Even if I learn a thing or two: when I look up to Twilight, when I look up to anyone of you. I, I don’t feel adequate compared to you girls. Almost like I don’t deserve to be here. And, for some reason, I kinda like and dislike that.”

Rainbow sat dumbfounded. Not quite sure what to say. “Wow, Spike,” Dash said. Sitting back. “That’s pretty deep. I… didn’t know you had thoughts like that.”

“I guess that’s another thing different about me.”

“And, to admit that like it’s nothing.”

“Meh.” Spike looked away. Two fillies playing in the clouds caught his interest.

Dash inhaled and exhaled. “Well, since it's already awkward, then there’s no harm in admitting this.” Spike looked back at Dash – whose mane obstructed her left eye.

“When I first heard of the wonder bolts; when I first got to see them in pony. Their tricks were amazing! The stunts they pulled were out of this world!”

“My heart burned at their first show, that at one point, I imagined I was doing the tricks instead of them. Heh, like I plastered my body over theirs.” Rainbow chuckled. Spike did as well – it reminded him of when he pretended to be a hero from the comics.

Dash paused, thinking of the right words to use next. Spike used the opportunity to examine her. Seeing, everypony else today, they seemed so mundane. They talked in the same voice; worried in the same way, and everything ran as it typically did.

But in Cloudsdale, Spike didn’t know what was to happen next. How did pegasus life differ from that of an earth pony? What events occurred here that could never be done in Ponyville? Does the food taste different?

For Spike, it was like reading a book and not having a clue what came next. The possibilities are endless.

But Dash, she was starting to sound different. So Spike sat down and brought his head closer to hers.

“After the show, I went home and tried the stunts myself - that didn’t work well.” Rainbow giggled to herself. The memory was playing fresh in her mind. “I felt like I could do anything, which those tricks would be nothing with my heart beating so fast.”

“Yet I failed, and, when I went to school the next morning, other kids were performing the same tricks with little to no sweat.”

“You were worried about someone being better than you?” Spike asked.

“I was worried about everyone being better than me,” Rainbow answered. She didn’t talk for a little bit afterward, as if admitting those words cut her throat on the way up. “So I kept trying and kept failing. I know I could ask for help, but just couldn’t. And I was too stubborn to read a book about it.”

Spike had been playing out Rainbow’s story in his head. And some parts of her tale matched with his own history. “So. Did you give up the idea of being the best and asked for help?”

“What? No.” Dash replied, almost offended. “I’m no wimp. I just stopped complaining about it and kept going.”

“Oh. I see.” Spike leaned forward. “So the point of the story is never to stop trying?”

“What, no.” Dash shook her head. “If I had stopped feeling threatened by everypony else's talents, then I would've asked for help and guidance. Now I have an inferiority complex.”

“Huh…”

Dash sighed. She had no clue what the point of the story was. “Look, Spike. You’re a pretty cool dragon. And, If others are better than you – than they’re better! If they're worse – than they’re worse! In the end, it’s just you that you have to worry about.”

“Uh-huh.” Spike rose up and dusted himself. “Listen. You girls have the, ‘friendship’ thing going on-” Spike moved his claws to express himself better “- but I don’t think your lessons apply to me.”

Dash stood up and swept her mane out from her eye. “What do you mean by that?”

“What I mean to say is that from day one, I never felt like I fit in. You girls always stood tall, while I sat down in your shadows. And, if I ever got to tag along, it felt like I forced it on you girls.

“I was that dragon no one wanted to be around, so that’s why I stayed behind with a good book instead,” Spike said with a chuckle. “Who needs friends?”

Behind Dash’s eyes, a fire lit, burning away all other emotions. A fire that Dash did her best to maintain from growing.

Spike continued. “With books came some knowledge and understanding. I don’t get as mad I used to. But that wasn’t why I read books, no. The reason I read was to reach this, level, you girls were on. But the more I learned; the more I realized: I would never become greater than those I respected.”

“Reading books for confidence – Yeah, that didn’t work out,” Spike said along with a chuckle. “So that’s why I flowed with everything Twilight did. Because, when I look up to somepony, they look down on me.”

Spike’s tone remained the same. But the words felt good coming out. But his mind offered no clarity, so he shooed any thinking away.

Looking at Dash, Spike awaited his verbal lashing. She did a good job of holding back the lecture or the beating, whichever she would choose. Her mouth kept closed; right forehoof jittering.

Spike tossed the last of the cotton and into his mouth, and burnt the stick with his flame. Afterward, Rainbow proceeded to lay on her tummy.

Spike raised a brow. “What are you doing?’

“Looking up to you.”

“Ha. Ha,” Spike dryly laughed. He yawned into his claw and looked around. If Dash was going do some cringe-worthy thing than Spike had better things to do. But, having Dash around was kinda fun. She knew where all cool stuff was along with the history behind it.

“Not until we solve this,” Dash replied, sensing Spike’s intentions.

Spike looked down to her. “Okay.” He proceeded to sit down so that they were on the same eye level.

“Stand up,” she demanded.

“No,” Spike replied firmly. “When I talk to someone, I’d rather we speak on the same level. Because I give that respect.”

Dash sighed. If she pushed anymore into the cloud, she would phase through.

“Rainbow Dash,” Spike began, “what did you think of me before today?”

Dash raised a brow. She went to speak the first words that came to mind but stopped as soon as they reach her throat. Instead, Dash asked her soul for some words.

“Nothing,” Dash answered.

“Nothing?”

“Yes.” Dash nodded her head. “I mean, you were kinda cool. As far as ‘tag-along little brother’ goes.”

The dragon suffered a spike through the heart.

“You kept to yourself. Eh, slightly annoying at times. And, at the end of the day, ordinary. Almost… forgettable.”

“Is that what all the girls felt?” Spike asked.

Dash shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know - you'd have to ask them. But you asked me how I felt about you yesterday, and I answered your question.”

“Alright. That’s cool, at least I know.” Spike picked himself up from the ground. “So where to--”

“But that’s not how I feel today.”

Spike looked back at her over his shoulder. “Huh?”

“Today, you’re different. I... can’t put my hoof on it, but whatever it is - I like it.” Dash lifted herself up from the clouds. Offering a smile.

Spike leaned back his head, staring into the sky. “So someone around here likes me, huh?” He chuckled and looked back to the mare. “Alright. Enough serious business; let’s go somewhere fun.”

Dash giggled, standing tall. “Oh trust me, I know some-”

“Well well well!”

Spike and Dash cocked their head to the voice. And before them were a male pegasus with a mane resembling that of a mop. A mare was accompanying him

“If it isn’t Rainbow Crash and,” the pegasus turned his head to Spike. “Uh, ah. I already forgot who you are.”

“His name is Spike,” Rainbow vouched.

“Ah, Spike!” Dumbbell titled his head. “I forgot.”

Rainbow closed her eyes and exhaled.

“Oh, Wait. I remember you now: you’re the dragon everyone treats like a dog.” Dumbbell chuckled and turned to his mare. “He’s still a baby I hear.”

“Heh, I guess you kinda right, about me being a baby in a dog sort of sense. For, when you translate dragon years into pony years. Well, that makes me old enough to take your girl.”

Both Dash and the mare gasped and began to chuckle. While Dumbbell took a step back. “Well,” Dumbbell began, “it look’s like the dragon’s got some words. But hey, everyone who talks well thinks they’re good.”

“Oh no.” Spike shook his head. “I know I’m good.”

“Heh.” Dumbbell looked once again at his mare, who looked more interested in the dragon. “Everyone’s a professional, eh?”

“Not me – I don’t get paid.” Spike coughed into his claw, taking a stance. “You see, to do something professionally is to get paid for it. If you give me a bit to write than I’m a professional writer.”

“Now, you would know this if you read a lot. Though I doubt you do much of that?”

Dumbbell stepped forward. “You calling me stupid?”

“Well, I wouldn deny your parents’ put dumb before bell without a purpose.”

It took several moments for Dumbbell to decipher if that was an insult or not. “Hey. Just who the–”

“I just realized this too.” Spike scratched the side of his head. “You’re a mental midget.”

Dash and the mare spent a few seconds thinking, then burst out laughing. For Dumbell, it took him a full minute of avoiding eye contact. Then he got it. “HEY!”

Spike looked at his mare. “Do you always go for superficial guys who have nothing within?”

“Now that’s enough,” Dumbbell spat as he neared the drake. “If you’re looking for a fight; you already know who would win.”

“A physical one? Yes, you would win. But, seeing how I would rather not act like a mindless animal, I’ll just keep making fun of you intellectually.”

Dumbbell took another step forward. Only a few more before they’d be eye to eye.

“By the way, how was your childhood?”

“MY CHILDHOOD WAS FANTASTIC!”

“Yesh.” Spike looked away. Though, his heart began to race, what if a fight really broke out?

Dumbbell was going to take two steps more, but his mare got in the way. She flashed him a smile. “Dumbbell?” she said. Dumbbell nodded. “We’re done.”

Dumbbell then fell to the floor. The mare swiped a piece of cloud, wrote on it, and handed it to Spike. “If you’re ever feeling lonely, or just wanna hang, come hit me up.” She leaned into Spike’s ear. “I’ve never been with a dragon before.”

“Once you go scales, you’ll never go back,” Spike replied, taking the cloud. The mare smirked and walked away.

Dash coughed rather loudly, reminding Spike of her presence. “Ah, right,” Spike said. “I guess we’d better be going.” Before Spike could move an inch, Dumbbell rose up

“Just, a. Where do you think you’re going?”

Spike turned back around. “For Pizza, I hope.” He clenched his claw to help suppress his claw from shaking. Then Spike remembered not to care. Whatever was to happen, was to happen.

“Not without a bloody nose you aren’t.” Dumbbell strode up to Spike, who gulped at his coming.

“Ah crap,” Spike murmured, keeping his place. He waited to meet the ground.

Dumbbell smiled. No, he laughed! Revenge shall be his.

Then Rainbow blocked his path. Spike peeked his head from the right of her rear to see.

“Rainbow,” Dumbbell spat. “Please. Be as kind. As it is Possible. To move. Away. From the dragon.”

Dash tilted her head and offered a smile. “That’s not happening bud. For, even though he’s a prick, he’s still my friend.”

“Dash,” Dumbbell tried again. “Are we gonna have a problem here?”

“It’s all on you, Dumbell. And while I’m not as smart Spike, you sure know that I’m a good fighter.” Rainbow inched her head forward. “Go ahead. Take a shot.”

Spike’s brow flew up as he dashed in front of Rainbow, taking the slap in her stead. His face went left.

“Heh,” Spike wiping his bottom lip. “Definitely not a pimp.” That earned him a slap to the right.

Dumbbell cocked his hoof back, and to launch it into that little dragon’s face. But the error was made here. Dumbbell cocks his punches; Rainbow doesn’t.

Ka-PAL!

Dumbbell found himself flying back with no assistance from wings. Rainbow went to jump on him – and not in the good way.

Spike’s claw barred her path. “Don’t do it Dash – he’s not worth.”

Dumbbell went to stand up.

“And you”- Spike struck a claw at him -“you’re going to pretend nothing happened here. Because you’re right: I am still considered a minor. So for an adult to slap a minor, well…”

Dumbbell got the idea, standing up on all fours with a huff.

“And not only that, but everyone would know you’d be willing to hit a girl.”

That gave Dumbbell reason to breath heavy.

“Now.” Spike reached out and grabbed Dash’s hoof. “We’re going to dipski. Now, I would love to stay around, but I have a feeling I would undercover your life story in under two minutes.”

Dumbbell looked as if he were to charge at any moment.

Spike swallowed. And, with Dash in hoof and claw, the two bolted.

“Laters!” Was the last thing Spike shouted.


Somewhere else, in the city of clouds

“Wow,” Dash breathed, the two halting down at the end of the street. “I can’t believe you actually did that.”

“He acted like he could do anything, so I felt like proving him wrong,” Spike said. He didn’t say it with pride or contempt. He simply felt like doing so. “But, if it weren’t for you, I’d have black eyes.”

“Heh, no worries!” Dash playfully slapped back. “I got your back, bro.”:

“As I yours.” Spike bowed. Earning him a light bonk on the back of the head. He looked up and displayed a goofy smile. The two began to walk again.

The scene still played vividly in Dash’s mind, causing her to giggle. Spike really did whatever he pleased.

“So Spike, for whatever reason, you’re going to do whatever you want today?Dash inquired. Spike nodded his head. “So. What do you feel like doing now?”

“I feel like…” Spike inhaled and looked to Dash. “Taking you to a pizza joint and eating a lot of pizza.”

“Like... like a date?”

Spike waited a moment before responding. He’d asked a similar question to a mare today. “Nah,” Spike answered. “Just two buddies getting pizza” Spike replied.

Dash frowned, and her ears fell. Wait. Hold on a minute, did I just get shot down? Dash opened her mouth to complain, but the darn dragon was already making his way to the pizza shop. Spike! Dash thought, trotting to catch the dragon.

I know, we’re not, that close. But to get rejected that easily. For ME, to get rejected that easily. Dash sighed as she approached the dragon. And, why is I have the most fun when I’m chasing after this guy?

“Ah, Spike. Wait up!” Dash caught up to the dragon and walked at his pace. Spike was fortunate for his companion, as he had no clue where he was going.


It’s weird how a cloud can support an entire shop, yet can’t support the weight of one dragon, Spike thought as he nibbled on his pizza.

Dash paid no mind to matters, as she scoffed down the pizzas as they came.

Occupying the two guest, were five boxes of pizza. Four open and empty, and one with half the slices remaining.

Dash had watched Spike the entire time. She expected him to make conversation, or even to pay her existence some mind. But the whole time they were there, Spike ate alone, staring out the window.

And Rainbow hated being ignored. “So, ‘Spike.”

The dragon paid her an eye.

“I’ve been thinking of this all day, and yet no answers come to mind. Just, what is it that caused you to wake up, jump out of a window; eat the entire stock of Sugarcube Corner; admit your crush on Rarity”- Dash spat at the thought - “ and steal a hot air balloon to come here?”

“I don’t really know,” Spike answered. Swallowing the crust of the pizza. “All I knew when I woke up, was that I was going to spend it like every other day. I think that’s the thought that made me jump out the window. Because I could just spend the day doing whatever I liked. So I did.”

“Hmm.” Dash thought about what he said. “Don’t get me wrong; I get the same thoughts you do. But to act on them?” Dash breathed. She then leaned towards the drake, a devious smile playing on her lips. “So, in your current state, would you be, willing, to do anything?”

“Anything I felt like doing.”

“What do you feel like doing?”

“I don’t know. Ask me, and we’ll see.”

Dash sat back in her seat sucked in a large amount of air. “Steal a muffin?”

“I’d pay for it.”

“What if you’re out of bits?”

“Then yes.”

“Assassinate both princesses for one million bits!” Dash practically stood on the table. The dragon placed the pizza on the plate, as he reflected the question.

“No,” he answered. Dash huffed.

“I’d do it for five chocolate milkshakes.”

“Wait, seriously?”

“Yeah, I’m craving them now.”

“But-but.” Dash sighed. Taking a seat and taking a moment to collect herself. “Think about how many milkshakes you could buy with that amount of coin!”

“Then I would need to a find a place to store all those coins, which is a lot of work for that amount. And I don’t feel like working -- I feel like chocolate milkshakes. So, speaking of which.” Spike sat up from his seat and proceeded out the door.

Dash called out to him. “Spike… What are you doing?”

“Going to assassinate the Princesses for chocolate milkshakes.”

“Oh… no.” The door shut behind the drake. “Spike! Spike!” Dash’s eyes twitched, almost in imitation of Twilight’s. “Come on dude, wait for me! We didn’t even finish the pizza!”

Dash saw Spike walking from the window; if Spike started walking, he didn’t stop until he reached his destination. Grabbing what boxes she could, Dash chased after the dragon.


Cloudsdale, like most cities, kept it’s own museum to keep its history sealed. From deeds of agreement of peace between cities to old weaponry like the swords or bows used in combat. Or even the catapults that were used to hurl boulders at opposing forces. Catapults like the one Spike rested in.

“Spike,” Dash deadpanned, “get down from the catapult, please. I have pizza.”

“Do you have milkshakes?”

“No. I had to chase after--”

“Then there is your mistake.”

“Please Spike. I got nothing to tell Twi when they find your body.”

“Nah, D.” Spike waved. “When you stop caring, that’s when the world starts to care for you.” Spike grabbed the handle, getting comfortable into the bowl. “Besides, it’s been awhile since I’ve visited me mum.”

“Mom?” Dash shook her head. “Look, Spike. I like to go into situations headstrong as well. But this is utterly ridiculous! You don’t know if the catapult is operational, or if it will have enough power, or if it’s even pointed in the right direction!”

Those words did not stop Spike from pulling the handle down and launching himself into the air.

Dash sighed and dropped to the ground. She ate pizza; trying to get over her dragon crush who had just evidently killed himself. She would look for the body later, though.

Look’s like Spike’s stay was only temporary.