• Published 18th Sep 2015
  • 406 Views, 30 Comments

The Swift Spear of Street Justice - pertelote345



Street Justice is out of options. She loved being a cop, but after the force fires her, her only job option is bounty hunting. Now, paired up with a dropout from the guard, they're pitted up against a secret society.

  • ...
10
 30
 406

An old friend

When pulled into an interrogation room by the authorities there are several rules you should follow. Rule number one is to shut the buck up until your lawyer gets there.

That rule went right out the window when a yellow unicorn walked in.

I stared at her, my pulse pounding. Sunny Day, head of the House Guard, personal guardian of Princess Celestia and one of the most powerful magic wielders on the planet, sat down across from me, floating a file in her magic. She gave me a look that could melt steel. "Street Justice... What the buck were you thinking?"

I choked. This was a mare I'd known since even before she was a guard, a pony that loved to drink, help the elderly, and 'experiment' with anything she could talk into bed.

There was none of that here, not anymore.

She opened up my file with an exasperated flick. "Brawls in the street? Really? I knew you'd fallen, but I never knew just how far."

I gulped. "S-Sunny you have to believe me, I was attacked. It was a busy street, I'm sure there are witnesses."

She narrowed her eyes. "Oh I've interviewed the witnesses, Street. They say you were surrounded by some kind of aura, shook it off instantly and then smashed the horns of two unicorn mares. Have you ever heard of disproportional response?"

"The only reason I shrugged it off was because of Runey's tech Sunny! You know... What's his name, Soylent's friend? It... It was like taking a spear to the mail okay? I got lucky, but I knew I had to act fast."

Sunny rolled her eyes. "His name is Silent." She put her hooves together and eyed me, "This is some serious shit Street, but things will go easier for you if you tell me exactly what you know about those guard impersonators."

I shifted in my chair, as much as the hoof cuffs would let me. Somehow I retained enough presence of mind to ask the most pertinent question. "Would you be interested enough in that information to grant me complete immunity from prosecution?" Technically I'd just been brought in for questioning, but I wasn't taking any chances.

She stared at me. "Really? You know how these things work Street every second we spend delaying here is another second whoever sent those ponies can do more damage. Or are you just being disorganized again?"

I narrowed my eyes. "Making sure I'm still there for my partner at the end of today will take all of two seconds. We both know this room is being recorded. Besides, I-" I gulped. "I really was disorganized Sunny. I know I sucked, but you have to believe I was trying my best."

She glared at me. "It's funny how your best is never good enough. Ponies rely on us to not be chemically unstable on duty Street. They don't teach that at the academy, but that's because it's common sense."

I winced. The dam I used to keep a thousand horrible memories at bay was starting to crack. I bit my lip. "Are you charging me with something or not?"

The unicorn let out a breath. "No... And that's on the record. Now, are you going to tell us what you know, or do you feel like putting more of my friends in danger?"

Friends... I wasn't sure if this mare had ever thought of me as one, but I suppose I knew where I stood now. I sighed. "I'm certain you've already gotten the reports. This isn't the first time someone's interfered with one of my bounties. My boss, Golden Bounty... She claims that there's an organization trying to smuggle ponies away from bail bond recovery agents."

She raised an eyebrow. "A secret society of bounty hunter haters? Really?"

"Damn it Sunny, this is serious! They had access to royal guard armor and weapons. They probably had fake badges too, but I think they were afraid I'd spot the difference. That takes resources and planning. I don't know what's going on, but it's something big."

Sunny rubbed at her head, as though trying to dispel a headache. "Fine... Lucky for you your partner's story is consistent with yours, it's a bit out there, but it could explain a few things." She shot me a nasty look. "Speaking of your partner, that kid is seriously mentally ill and not fit for duty of any kind, even if it's glorified debt collecting. I can't believe you're dragging him around just to relive your glory days."

Okay, now I was angry. "Swift Spear is one of the most skilled fighters I've ever seen. He saved my life, twice. you can throw as many barbs at me as you want, but he's a good kid."

"I'm not saying he's a bad pony Street, but he needs help. Frankly so do you."

I... I had nothing to say to that. "Are... Are you going to take off these cuffs?"

A burst of magic flowed around my hooves and the manacles fell to the floor. I made beeline for the door, not even pausing to rub at my hooves.

"We'd still take you back you know."

I froze.

"Supervised research and development." She said. "Detective work may be off the table, but there are still ways you can help us."

Help... That was the last thing I'd do. "Sunny I can't make guns. You know what its like to have destructive power and if I..." I was shaking at this point. I was actually going to do it. I was going to turn down an invitation back into the guard over philosophy.

I clenched my teeth. "My kind of power... Some day a five year old is going to get their hooves on it. I can't let that happen."

She glanced back to her cutie mark, a blazing sun. On her perky little flank it looked welcoming, but we both knew it meant she could make a heat lance so hot it could carve Canterlot in two.

"I can respect that." She said simply.

I nodded. I supposed that was the best I was going to get. I looked down at her. All the anger had drained out of her. Now she just looked... Sad.

"F-for what it's worth." I said, not even sure what I was saying. "You were always the pony I wanted to be."

Sunny Day sighed it was a painful, hopeless sound. "For what it's worth I know you tried... Now get out of my city."

And so I left.

#

There were a lot of things I expected to see when Street Justice came out of that interrogation room. She could be pissed, beaten up, still in chains...

I never expected her to be crying.

She cantered right up to me. "Swift! Are... Are you okay?"

I nodded, putting a hoof on her shoulder. "Of course... Are you okay?"

She hugged me. It was so sudden I had no idea what to make of it.

She nearly covered me entirely, but I don't think she'd ever felt smaller.

"Canterlot sucks," She said, between sobs. "Can... Can we never come back here ever again?"

I squeezed her back. "That... That sounds like a plan."

Ponies were staring at us. She finally let me go, still sniffling. "I need some air okay? Meet you at Donut Joe's at ten?"

I nodded. "Sure. Are you-" That said, she trotted out into the street.

"Cadet Swift Spear?"

I froze. Standing behind me was Captain Sunny Day.

She walked over to me and put a hoof on my shoulder. "You know she's not your job right?"

I blinked. The head of Princess Celestia's protection unit was standing right in front of me and I had no idea what to say. "W-what?"

The living legend sighed. "I've known Street Justice for a long time and I've given her lots of chances, but she's the single most self destructive pony I've ever met. Maybe some miracle will happen and she'll get a happy ending some day, but it isn't likely. You on the other hand..."

She looked me straight in the eye. "I've seen your file. You're a gifted, capable pony who just happens to be a little sick right now. If you get treatment you could do anything you wanted. Even if the guard isn't right for you there are so many ways you can make the world a better place, I learned that from Celestia herself."

I blinked. "What? What are you saying?"

She looked down at the floor. "I'm saying I don't want to see you waste yourself by going down with a sinking ship."

Huh? Now I was totally lost. "Captain Day, Ma'am... Street isn't a sinking ship. She's smart, she works hard, she cares about ponies... If she was a bad pony before I can guarantee she isn't anymore."

Sunny Day frowned. "Swift Spear, those things may be true in a twisted, twisted way, but I just spoke to her. She hasn't changed e-"

I pulled back from her hoof. Hay, I put a couple feet between us. "You... You were the one talking to her?"

She blinked. "Of course. I-"

I snarled. "Then with all do respect Captain Day, you made my partner cry, and I have no interest in your opinion."

And so, after insulting one of the most powerful ponies on the planet, I left.

I'd save my panic attack for when Street was okay.

Author's Note:

Sunny Day used with Anzel's Permission.