• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 2,757 Views, 44 Comments

If Sins Be Forgiven… - Milliardo5



A chance at redemption; a second chance. Sunset faced that before and now she's in a position to return the favor, but will the others follow?

  • ...
5
 44
 2,757

III. Of Tests And Exams

“It happened just after we were defeated”, Sonata began. Sunset listened attentively, but although Pinkie was also listening with attention, she seemed ready to burst out. Pinkie has always loved a good story, and she can never listen long enough without adding some of her own comments. This just happened to be one of those moments.

Hardly anything has been said yet, and Pinkie excitedly commented, “I knew something happened after it!” Sunset looked sideways at her but decided not to speak up yet. Sonata went on.

“We went to a small room, sort of like our quarters, and that’s when things started”, she continued. “Adagio was raving mad, very much angry. She wanted revenge. I didn’t mind it. I knew it was over, and at least I could get some rest. That’s when Aria went over to her, pulled her aside while I sat down to rest.” She stopped a bit to control her emotions. Pinkie quieted down a bit, for which Sunset was grateful.

“I closed my eyes, feeling real tired, when I felt Adagio and Aria standing over me”, she continued on. “They both had their arms crossed, and Adagio looked down on me…” Here her voice trailed off as she began to lose words. Sunset felt sorry for her. She knew what she’s going through, in a way.

Pinkie wasn’t smiling now. She put her hand on Sonata’s shoulder. Sonata just sat there, looking terribly sad.

“I..I can’t believe what she just said to me…” her voice was quavering now, tears again falling down. “She…she said that it’s all my fault…that if it’s not for me, we could’ve won…”

“She’s mean”, Pinkie commented. Although Pinkie was trying to be sincere, the way she said it was quite funny. At any other time it would’ve made Sunset laugh, but she held back as she could see how down Sonata looked.

“I’ve been with them for so long…I followed Adagio so much…” Sunset put her hand on hers to comfort her. She looked at Pinkie. Pinkie looked back as her hand was still on Sonata’s shoulder.

“Dear, we’re here for you”, Sunset said to her. “Adagio may not care for you, but you can count on us to be there when you need us.”

“It’s not just Adagio”, Sonata stammered. “It’s more Aria…she never did like me from the start…and now she has found reason to take me out of their group…”

“You never did belong there”, Sunset said without hesitation. “You deserve better than them. Trust me. There are a lot more people out there who cares for you.”

“Dashie would be back here this afternoon”, Pinkie said, now starting to perk up again. Sunset nodded in acknowledgment.

“I think we should wait for them and let them hear her out”, she decided.

“I’m sure they’ll like her!” exclaimed Pinkie, although Sunset wasn’t quite sure yet about that one. She knew though that it’s test for her as well as for Sonata with what she’s going through. At that point though she looked at Sonata. She realized that beneath her cheerful exterior lay a caring person, and she can see it the way she expressed her sadness over what happened. Perhaps there is hope in her…

The three of them decided to get something to eat while waiting for Rainbow Dash to come. Pinkie texted her, as well as the others. She reported that Rarity as well was on her way home. Applejack was still on her family’s farm but should be arriving soon as well, while Fluttershy said she’d be coming over tomorrow.

They walked along to one of the canteens near the school. During school days it’s usually full of students, but now because of summer only a few were inside. They got a table without any problem. Sunset looked around to see anyone familiar, but she didn’t see anyone.

Which might as well be, she thought. She wondered what would people’s reaction be if they saw her and Pinkie with Sonata. Not that she really mind what others thought. She looked at her watch. Rainbow Dash would be arriving at 1 p.m., and so they still had an hour to go to get some lunch.

While eating Pinkie talked with Sonata, and both began to realize that they’re almost alike in personality. Sunset smiled. She knew that Pinkie would get along with her very well. She hoped that the others would as well, considering that Sonata had been one of the Dazzlings. Pinkie snapped her out of her reverie when she began to tap her hand with her finger.

“We both like parties!” Pinkie gushed. She could see Sonata now getting to be how she was before—very much like Pinkie, Sonata can be perky as well. Some thought that she’s an airhead, but now Sunset could see that she probably used her perkiness as a means to hide her true self. But she would have to know more about that later.

“Pinkie, text and ask her where she is, and tell her we’re here at the canteen near school”, she advised. She turned her attention to Sonata then.

“So how are you now?”

“Much better”, an appreciative Sonata said. Pinkie gave a thumb’s up as she sent the message through, and then waited for a reply.

“That’s great”, Sunset said simply. “Dash’ll be here soon, and I’m sure she’d want to meet you as well.” Although she hoped so, she’d not totally sure as Rainbow Dash can be so direct, and sometimes this rubs off on other people the wrong way. Still, she really think that the group would eventually come around to becoming her friends.

Pinkie’s phone rang and she looked at the message.

“She’s on her way here”, she said to both of them. Sunset could see that Sonata was a bit nervous, though Pinkie was there to keep her occupied. A few more minutes passed by before Rainbow Dash arrived.

She went in, looking radiant after a few days out with her family. Rainbow Dash can be described as flamboyant, and it shows: her hair has the color of the rainbow, from red, blue, orange and all the other rainbow colors. And hence her name as well.

“So how’s it going?” she asked them as she went in, then stopped dead when she saw Sonata with them.

“What’s she doing here?” she asked pointedly. Sonata sank back into the corner, but Sunset beckoned Dash to sit.

“That’s why you’re here”, she said to her. “Sonata has something to say, and it’s good if we could listen.” She nodded at her, and Sonata told the story again for Rainbow Dash to hear. After her story, Sonata looked at the group.

“Well, I don’t know about that”, Dash said, still unsure about it all.

“Listen, Sonata’s the least problematic for us even then”, Sunset came to her defense. “I was actually hoping sooner or later she’d turn around.” That was partly true; she never saw Sonata as really mean, unlike either Adagio or Aira.

“I only joined them at the time because I was fooling around with that pendant, and Adagio asked me to join”, she explained.

“Well, I guess two magical types around isn’t such a bad thing”, Dash conceded. “So you don’t have any plans to get back to Equestria, or whatever you call that place?” she turned to ask Sonata. She shook her head in reply. Dash seemed satisfied. She took her drink and sipped on it.

“I’m cool with it then”, she said, contented. Sunset was glad things turned out well. She began to think of her only other hurdle, Applejack. She doesn’t foresee any problem with Fluttershy, and Rarity would more likely give her own fashion advice to Sonata than anything else. Applejack though was the only other one who can be vocal about her dissent. For now though it was a small victory.

“So, when will band practice?” she asked, changing the subject a bit.

“Maybe when everyone gets back”, Dash said. “I think most would be here tomorrow since classes start next week.” Sunset’s face became serious when she heard that. Dealing with the group was one thing, but she couldn’t imagine how it would be once Adagio and Aria saw Sonata with them. Sonata must have felt it as well because she then shot a glance at Sunset. Although Sunset noticed it, she continued on, partly to ease Sonata’s fear.

“I think we can bring Sonata along for the jam”, she said as she looked at her. Sonata seemed excited, and Pinkie joined in. Sunset could see they’re turning to be close friends.

“Why not?” Rainbow Dash agreed. Sunset looked pleased.

“It’s settled then. You’ll join us for band practice this Saturday, right?” she said to Sonata. She hesitated, but Pinkie egged her on, until she relented.

“You better tell the others about Saturday”, Sunset motioned to Pinkie. Pinkie had been the designated messenger of the group, throwing back and forth text messages. Not that the others don’t want to do it themselves, but Pinkie simply loved the job she’s asked to do.

“Aren’t you going to meet them tomorrow?” Dash asked curiously, but Sunset shook her head.

“Too much meeting. I think Saturday’ll be fine. Besides, they’re still tired from their trips.” But in reality Sunset was just holding it off, just in case things get heated with Applejack.

“Guess I’ll go home and rest then”, Rainbow Dash said as she slid off the chair. The others stood up as well, ready to leave.
“Thanks again”, Sonata said to Sunset.

“Everyone deserves a second chance”, Sunset said, taking her hand. “I got a second chance, and I’d like others to have that as well.” Sonata beamed at that. Pinkie came up from behind and joined them.

“I’ll take you home”, she offered to Sonata.

From the canteen they parted ways, each one walking to their home. Sunset walked home alone. She loved to walk home alone, giving her time to reflect, which was what she had been doing for the most part, making her at times introspective. Now she had to ready herself for the group’s meeting the coming Saturday.



That night, before going to sleep, Sunset checked her smart phone for text messages. Pinkie sent a message saying that Sonata will sleep over with her for a few days. She smiled, knowing that the two will get along real well. She also saw a greeting from Fluttershy as well as Applejack and Rarity. Rarity apologized for not being able to show up, while Fluttershy and Applejack said they’d be arriving tomorrow. She put her phone by the stand beside the bed. Saturday seemed so far, and yet so near.



Friday brought nothing much in activity. Sunset mostly stayed at home, cleaning the house for a change in pace. Every now and then she would receive messages from the others. Pinkie and Sonata have gone out to the mall. She wondered how would people react seeing her with Sonata, but then Pinkie wasn’t the sort to worry about other people talking.

Rarity also went shopping, as she always did, looking for clothes to wear for the coming school year. As for Rainbow Dash, she was out on the school field with the soccer team as they prepared for the coming school year as well. Last she saw Flutterfly and Applejack’s messages, they were on their way back to Canterlot.

After checking on her phone, she went back to house cleaning. Every other day she makes sure that the house would be clean, going about the living room and vacuuming the carpet there.

While she cleans the house she had her mp3 player hook up to the speakers and music playing. Her musical taste was eclectic, ranging from rock to pop and even 80s music. She didn’t know why she liked music from the 80s, but she just listened to it. Every now and then she also listens to classical music and jazz. Music also served as her distraction—she didn’t want to think about the coming day, so she just let music distract her thoughts, at least for the day.

She paused for a moment, listened to the music, which happened to be her favorite song. She let herself be moved by it, and soon she was dancing to it, letting the moment take over. She just let herself get lost into it, not letting worries get to her. It’s a moment she wished would go on forever. When it ended, she was tempted to repeat the song, but then realized there was much more to be done. She just smiled, and humming the next song that played, continued her work.



Saturday finally came. Sunset woke up early, and then texted Pinkie to confirm if everyone would come. Nobody objected or gave any reason not to go, so she told everyone to go to the school’s music room. Her favorite song was still in her head as she dressed. She stood for a moment, unable to decide what to wear. Finally she took her jeans, a black shirt and then she put on her boots.

Although she could still hear the song in her head, she focused more on what needed to be done. For one, they do need to rehearse. She wanted to have them rehearse during summer but relented when most of them said they had other plans.

She also wondered if anyone had seen Pinkie with Sonata yesterday. Most likely some saw them together.

No doubt Adagio is fuming right now, she thought, but she didn’t let that bother her just yet. She needed to settle the matter about Sonata and what to do with her situation, though she could also see that Pinkie had already made up her mind and had formed a friendship with her.

She got to school and immediately headed for the music room. She had left her guitar there, thinking that she’d be able to use it with the band for summer. Going in and turning on the lights, she took her guitar, found her small amp nearby, and plugged it in. She tuned it while waiting for them.

Sunset had told Pinkie to come in last together with Sonata, so she wasn’t expecting them to be there early. The first one to come in was Fluttershy. She greeted Sunset in her quiet, gentle way.

“Hi there”, she said, “I brought you a present.” She handed to Sunset some chocolate she had bought. Fluttershy was much like her name—quiet, almost shy, but can also be fierce when she wanted to, which Sunset thankfully thought wasn’t that often. Fluttershy also played the cymbals for the band.

Next to come in was Rarity, who immediately went and hugged Sunset and Fluttershy. The band’s keytar player, Rarity was also very much into fashion, and it shows not just in her clothes, but even in her manners.

“Missed you, darlings”, she said to them as she sat down. “I’ve had the most fabulous time in New York! Lots of places to buy from. Would love to get back there again.”

“I’m glad you liked it there, Rarity”, Sunset commented.

“Very much”, she nodded. “If it weren’t for school I would’ve stayed there longer, but at least I got new clothes.”

“Oh my, I would love to see your new clothes”, Fluttershy said in her usual quiet way.

“You will when school opens, dear”, she promised to Fluttershy. While she was talking, Rainbow Dash arrived.

“I’m so ready to practice!” she said. She then looked around. “Where’s Pinkie?”

“She’s on her way here”, Sunset replied. Rainbow Dash took her guitar and found her amp, then sat down to tune it. Sunset got hers as well and joined in, tuning their guitars together.

“What will we play today?” Dash asked as they finished tuning.

“Something heavy? I’m not sure. I have my favorites…” Sunset paused as she thought of what might be a good song to play. She then began to play a few notes on her guitar, softly strumming it. Rainbow Dash nodded her head in time with the beat.

“That’s a nice song”, she said approvingly.

“It’s an 80s song. You probably wouldn’t know it unless you really search for it. I found them on the internet while searching for videos”, Sunset explained.

“You have class, dear”, Rarity also approved. “Most people only go for what’s on, but you took more effort in discovering your own music.”

“Thanks. I try to find the music that’s for me”, Sunset replied.

“And as it should be”, agreed Rarity.

Applejack came in at that time, smiling at them in her own, simple way. The group’s bassist, Applejack can be stubborn at times. She liked to wear her cowboy hat, which she kept clean often. People mistake her for being too rural, though that’s far from the truth.

“So, how’re you all doing?” she boomed. Applejack can be loud at times, but that’s what the group likes about her. At times as well she and Rainbow Dash had some friendly competition among themselves.

“You’re late”, Rainbow Dash said as a joke.

“I am not!” AJ retorted. “And where’s Pinkie? She’s supposed to be here now.”

“She’ll be here soon, she just fixed some things in her house”, offered Sunset.

“I’m here!” A cheerful voice just called out. Applejack put a palm on her face.

“I spoke too soon!” she said in mock dismay.

I hope this mood lasts, she thought as she saw Pinkie’s pink head poke through the door.

“Hello everyone!” she called out, excited to see them all back together. She waved at everyone in the room. Applejack stood a bit far off, adjusting her bass guitar when she heard Pinkie’s voice. Turning, she saw Pinkie, and someone else with her.

The room turned a bit quiet as everyone stared at the person with Pinkie.

“Everyone, I guess you know who she is”, Sunset said as a way of introduction.

“You know darn right we do!” AJ said, her voice a bit thick. “So what in blazes is she doing here?”

“That I can explain”, Sunset said, and she recounted to them the day she found Sonata. When she finished, Applejack was scratching her head.

“I don’t know…” she said, still skeptical. She went forward and shoved her face near Sonata’s. “I have some questions for you…”

Rarity though went to her before Applejack could ask any further.

“I’m welcoming you, darling”, she said, taking Sonata’s hand. “We have so much to talk about fashion.”

“Oh, she likes clothes so much!” Pinkie chimed in.

“Do you now, dear?” Rarity asked her. Sonata nodded. Rarity clapped her hands in delight. “Then we really have to talk together!” Shyly, Fluttershy also went to meet her.

“It’s so nice to meet you”, she said. While they were around Sonata, Applejack approached Sunset and took her aside.

“You buying any of this?” she pointedly asked her.

“She sounds sincere enough”, was all Sunset said.

“I guess we need to quiz her some more”, Applejack said to her, and Sunset just shrugged. Applejack turned to Rainbow Dash.

“You with me Dash?” she asked.

“Hey, she’s cool, don’t worry”, was all she said to Applejack.

“We will see”, she said, then went over to Sonata. “Will you mind if I ask you some questions?” Sonata’s smile disappeared, though her eyes were much more joyful now than they were the day before, noted Sunset.

“Oh yes”, was the short reply of Sonata.

“So why did you leave the Dazzlings again?” she asked her.

“I couldn’t take Aria anymore. She’s just mean to me. And I thought Adagio would come to my side, too”, she answered.

“You sure that’s all?” Applejack pressed on. Sonata nodded, though Applejack wanted to find out more.

“I heard you’re not a good fit for them”, she went on. “What does that exactly mean?”

“It means I don’t belong with them?” Sonata said, unsure of what to exactly say. “I do wish it weren’t so, though…” She again looked downcast as she said that.

“Well, why don’t you go ask them then?”

“But they’re so mean to me, especially Aria!” she burst out, objecting to the thought.

“She can always be with us here”, Pinkie suggested.

“I suggest that she does stay with us, at least for awhile”, Sunset spoke up, partly to settle the matter and partly to stop Applejack’s interrogation. Applejack looked around. She realized that the group seemed made up about her, or at least she could tell Sunset was as well as Pinkie. She also knew that Fluttershy would accept her without hesitation. Rarity looked to be that way as well, and though she’s not too sure about Dash, she could see it was only a matter of time before she would join them.

She realized that she had to drop the subject, for now.

“All right, guess you all have made up your minds”, she finally said, “but I’ll be keeping an eye on her, just in case.” She took one last look at Sonata, then went back to her guitar.

“Oh, you’ll really like it here with us”, Pinkie said cheerfully at Sonata. She then went to her drum set, taking out her drumsticks which she brought along. Sunset just stood there, thinking about what happened. She knew that AJ’s not going to let up on her, unless she’s convinced of Sonata.

For her part, Sonata took one of the chairs nearby. Sunset went over to her.

“Can you sing?” she asked her. Ever since their pendants broke, she didn’t know how she was or what else happened to her. Sonata wanted to shake her head, but Sunset had thought up an idea.

“I got it—I’ll give you some voice lessons. It will be fun. You don’t have to worry about it”, she told her.

“That would be nice! Thank you!” Sonata hopped with glee. Sunset smiled at her, then went to her place in the band. Pinkie signaled for them by tapping her drumsticks together, and then they began their jamming.



They jammed for an hour. Sunset was glad to have the Rainbooms back together. She had recently tried her hand at composing, and can’t wait to share with them her work. But that had to wait just yet—school was just a day away, and she wondered how things would be. She also had not heard from Sonata if Adagio and Aria would be back at school. Sonata did affirm that she’d be studying there again, and Sunset told her she could stay with the group for as long as she liked.

“Well, see you guys on Monday”, she told them as they packed up their instruments and got ready to go.

“I can’t wait for school to start!” Rainbow Dash said.

“And why would that be?” Pinkie asked.

“I’m gonna get to as many sports as I could, and then we’ll show Crystal Prep what we can do!” declared RD with a stomp.

“Oh good! I can get the party planning committee together to plan for events!” Pinkie said with excitement.

“Excuse me, but who are you with in that committee again?” Applejack asked.

“I have someone with me now—she is!” Pinkie pointed at Sonata. Applejack groaned, but Sonata raced up to Pinkie and they began bouncing up and down. Sunset just shook her head, smiling at the sight. After leaving Canterlot High, they called out to each other to say their farewells as they went to their own homes.



That night, Sunset opened her notebook and began writing. She sighed.

I really have to get that tablet I saw in the store the other day, she thought. She tried to figure out what she could do though to buy it. She shook her head and then went back to what she was writing. She sank back to her chair when she was finished, then took the notebook and hid it inside the drawer. Monday. School would be starting again. She wondered how things would go from the start until the rest of the year.

Author's Note:

The longest chapter I've made so far. There is a portion here as well where, while listening to A-Ha's "Take On Me", I had an inspiration and made that part. Spot where that part is...