• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 2,762 Views, 44 Comments

If Sins Be Forgiven… - Milliardo5



A chance at redemption; a second chance. Sunset faced that before and now she's in a position to return the favor, but will the others follow?

  • ...
5
 44
 2,762

II. The Sadness of a Song

She wanted to turn around and walk away as quickly as she could, but another part of her compelled her to stay. Cautiously, she went to the sobbing figure seated behind the hedges. Sonata’s face was buried in her hands that she didn’t even notice Sunset approaching her.

“Hello there”, Sunset greeted. The spot, she observed, was perfect for hiding: aside from the hedges, there’s a tree nearby as well to provide shade. The shade it gave made the place cool amidst the summer heat. Sonata looked up. Her sobs stopped, though there were still tears on her cheeks. She just stared at Sunset, though from her posture Sunset could see that she’s ready to back off. To where, Sunset’s not sure as behind her was the hedge.

“I’m sorry to have frightened you”, she apologized to Sonata. “I was just passing by and heard you crying.” Sonata just sat, her eyes wide. Sunset bent down, extending her hand. “I’m not here to frighten you”, she reassured Sonata. She went to her side and sat.

“So what happened?” she asked as she gently sat beside Sonata. Sonata just sat there, not sure at all what to say. Sunset noticed that quickly.
“I’m sorry if I am bothering you”, she began. “If you don’t want me here…” But she was surprised when Sonata grabbed her arm. She didn’t expect that.

“I…I need someone to talk to…” Sonata’s pleading eyes convinced her she’s in trouble. She nodded for her to go on.

“They…they’re horrible to me!” she blurted out, ready to burst out crying again.

“Wait, you mean…” Sunset wanted to say more, but one look at Sonata made her realize that saying something might only cause her to cry even more. Sonata understood though what she’s trying to say because she nodded at that.

“Adagio and Aria kicked me out!” she said as she hung on to Sunset’s arm. “Aria is especially horrible to me!”

Sunset could imagine how bad Aria could be to her; Aria never did like Sonata to be with their little group, that she was aware of, though she wondered what she could do to help her out just now.

“Wait, aren’t you guys supposed to be still in Canterlot High?” she inquired. Sonata nodded weakly.

Well that’s a relief, sort of, she thought. At least I could help her when school lets in, though that’s still a week away. She then put her hand and patted Sonata’s hand.

“I’ll see what I can do”, she said to her. “You’re always welcome to be with us, though I am not sure yet about the others.” Then she thought of Pinkie. She looked Sonata over and nodded. She just knew she and Pinkie would get along. But then she also wondered how the others would feel. Especially AJ and Dash.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash. Although overall they’re friendly, they could be outspoken and frank as well.

Too frank at times, she thought, sighing a bit. She then looked again at Sonata then spoke up.

“I’ll walk you home”, she volunteered. Although she wanted to talk to her more, she also needed to get home, and walking her home would be a good way to get to talk to her more. But Sonata shook her head.

“I can get home fine”, she said. She looked at Sunset and smiled. “You’re nice to talk to me.”

“Well, it’s the least I can do to someone in need”, she said. Ever since she has decided to change for the better, she had been looking for a chance to be of help, and now she seemed to have found that chance.

“But we were mean to you…I was mean to you”, Sonata said, genuinely surprised that Sunset could be so casual in talking to her like that.

“Hey, you don’t know what I’ve been through”, she said, half jesting and half serious. Sonata just stared blankly at her though. She stared back, then smiled a bit. “Long story”, she said to her.

“But you’ll tell me”, Sonata said.

“I will, but that’s for another time”, she promised. She looked up. The sun was high, and she realized it’s nearly lunch. She got up, and Sonata stood up together with her.

“You sure you don’t want me to walk you home?” But Sonata shook her head again.

“I’m fine”, she repeated. Sunset decided to drop it then. Whatever Sonata’s going through, she will speak out in time. She took out her smart phone.

“I’ll get your number, in case we need to talk”, she said. Sonata smiled broadly, the first time she ever did that day.

“Sure thing”, she said, and gave out her number. She also brought out her own phone and took Sunset’s number, which she happily gave. After that they parted ways, and Sunset went towards her home. The incident left her reflective again though. Just a few months back she needed friends herself, and now she’s on the verge of helping out one.


That night, in her room, she began reading her text messages. Pinkie texted and said that the rest of the band might return from their vacation. She also received a text from Rainbow Dash confirming what Pinkie just announced. She took out her notebook, opened it, and prepared to scribble her thoughts into it.

Definitely what’s on her mind was what happened today, especially the one with Sonata. She shook her head a bit to clear her thoughts, and then she thought on how to exactly write her thoughts. She began writing, pausing every now and then to think what to write, then continuing on. When she was finished with her entry, she read it over. Satisfied, she closed her notebook and put it back into her drawer. Before going to bed, she thought of the big day ahead of her as she began to anticipate the group coming back home…


Morning, glorious morning! That’s the first thing that came up on Sunset’s mind as she woke up. She got up, looked out the window, and saw the sun already out. She looked at the clock beside her bed and saw that it was 7 a.m. As she dressed for the day, she thought of the things that might happen, but quickly pushed them aside. She doesn’t want to get her hopes too high. She’s not even sure how the group will react to Sonata.

As she prepared to go down for breakfast, her cellphone rang. She checked and saw that it’s Sonata sending her a message. She read a little bit loudly what she sent.

“Please meet me where I was yesterday”, she read. Now what could it be? she wondered. She replied that she’ll have a quick breakfast and be on her way. She went down, got her breakfast, and quickly got out for her meeting with Sonata.

She went to the place at a fast pace, making a short sprint every now and then until she got there. She saw Sonata seated at where she found her yesterday.

“So, what’s up?” she asked as she went towards her and sat down. Sonata looked down, visibly worried.

“I’m afraid of Adagio…you know what she can do…” she sounded as worried as she looked. Sunset nodded. In the time she saw Adagio, she saw what she’s capable of. She saw that she’s manipulative, and had no remorse in whatever she did. She’s worried about that one—it’s one thing to do wrong. It’s another thing to own up to it and admit to what happened. Adagio doesn’t seem to be the type to just surrender and admit to her mistakes. She’s merely retreated to make another plot, she concluded. But right now she couldn’t be sure of that.

She just looked at Sonata, who looked helpless and dejected. She knew one thing: her work’s cut out for her, she decided. She has committed herself and she’s going to see Sonata’s case through.

“I’m with you on this one”, she declared to Sonata. Sonata looked up, her face brightening.

“You really mean it?” Sunset nodded at her question. She smiled, and Sonata smiled back. “I’ve never met someone like you before…” Sonata’s voice trailed off, not sure of what else to say.

“The group should be back home today…well, most of them at least”, she said as she mentally counted on who would be coming back home that day. “And Pinkie’s here, too. You really have to meet her.”

Of all the people in the Rainbooms, Pinkie would be the most accepting. Pinkie never had much of a reservation about anyone, which could be both a good and a bad thing. This time though it might be good, Sunset was thinking.

“I’ll tell her to go here”, she said, whipping out her smart phone and texting Pinkie. She decided to just tell her to get to the spot they’re in, purposely leaving out any mention of Sonata just yet.

“Do you think she’d welcome me?” Sonata asked, unsure of the situation.

“Pinkie’s cool”, she assured Sonata. “In fact, I think you’ll get along with her real well.”

Presently Pinkie Pie came along. One can see her even from a long distance: pink, curling hair with matching dress to boot. Her personality comes out through and through even just by looking at her. Today was no different as she came up and smiled.

“Oh, hi there!” Pinkie waved even from a distance. Sunset waved back. Sonata merely smiled and gave a small wave. Pinkie came up to them much faster now, briskly walking as she covered the last distance towards them.

“I see we have someone”, she said excitedly as she sat down in front of Sunset and Sonata. Sunset cleared her throat to get Pinkie to quiet down a bit.

“I think you met Sonata already”, Sunset told her, skipping any formalities. Pinkie took Sonata’s hand and shook it.

“Oh, you’re with the Dazzlings, right? You sing real good”, Pinkie said. Sunset looked at her oddly, wondering if Pinkie already forgot about what happened, though she thought of it better. Knowing Pinkie, she can see that she’s trying to be as optimistic as she can be. And it seemed to be working, as Sonata became more warm and open to Pinkie. While all this was happening, Sunset took the time to study her more closely.

Of the Dazzlings, Sonata’s personality almost closely matches Pinkie. Outwardly both of them were bright and sunny, though they can be introspective and actually think things through when they wanted to. That’s what she saw in Pinkie, and she’s also seeing that in Sonata as she sat there, being quiet and reserved. It was a different Sonata that she’s seeing then.

After a few pleasantries, Sunset finally thought of getting down to business.

“Well, maybe it’s time we learn more of what happened”, she then, looking directly at Sonata. She sighed, again looking dejected, though now Sunset noted that it wasn’t as deeply as yesterday.

“It’s not going to be long”, Sonata began, “but I always thought that they were my friends…” She began her story, as Sunset and Pinkie listened in careful attention…

Author's Note:

More about this chapter--initially I wanted to show a different Sonata here, one who has more depth and a different, more pensive and caring side. I realized though that it might go overboard and make a Sonata that's barely recognizable, so I held back just enough to still show her plight without making it look like she's one clueless girl.