• Published 30th Sep 2015
  • 1,374 Views, 33 Comments

Fears - Short Stories



The mane six must face their fears to prove themselves to Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
11
 33
 1,374

Wonderbolts Forever!

Today was the day Rainbow Dash had been preparing for her whole life. A chance to meet her idols and prove that she was Wonderbolts Material. Today was the day, now was the time, but this definitely was not the right place.

How would the Wonderbolts, or anypony, for that matter, see her if she was locked up inside a room the color of her fur, with one door and no windows? A door that had her cutie mark painted on it. A door that had her destiny painted on it. She didn't bother to look around the room, she just spread her wings out and zoomed up to the door, smashing it into a perplexity of wood shavings and splinters. Smashing her destiny right along with it.

"Hey! You!" Spitfire called from across the clouded ground, making her way towards the cyan pegasus; Rainbow didn't zoom towards her right away, however. She was still confused on what just happened. There weren't normally wooden doors in Cloudsdale, or on clouds for that matter. Even if there was, they wouldn't be that easy to smash down.

"You!" Spitfire called again, right on top of Dashie now. "What's your name, soldier?"

"Uh..." Rainbow almost forgot how to speak. One of her idols was actually talking to her! And it wasn't due to Rainbow's careful planning, it was their choice and their choice alone! She must have been taking a while, due to the fact that Spitfire raised an eyebrow out of annoyance and impatience. "Rain---Rainbow Dash," she finally managed to spit out.

"Rainbow Dash?" Spitfire asked, slowly raising one of her eyebrows. Rainbow nodded like a drone, mouth partly opened. Spitfire sneered at this, narrowing both of her eyes behind shaded glasses. "We need a tougher name on the field, private. And a tougher face. You look like you belong in a mares clothing store." With that, she snapped Rainbow's mouth shut and turned to fly away yelling something to somepony else; probably another Wonderbolt.

Rainbow's eyes popped out of her skull while the lower part of her mouth took the job of meeting the soft cloud-filled ground below her feet. Had her idol seriously just said she looked like she belonged in a MARE'S clothing store?! Did...did she really look that...

girlish?

"Alright, everypony! Please turn your attention to the podium for the newest Wondercolt!" A nearby intercom blasted out Soarin's commanding voice, causing ponies all around, including Rainbow Dash, who was curious to who could replace her so quickly, look towards the Wonderbolt's podium.

An incredibly nervous light pink earth earth pony with a blonde mane and tail stepped up behind the stage. "Give a warm welcome for Lily Valley!" Soarin's voice boomed, quickly followed by thunderous applause. The nervous pony's eyes darted all about before she collapsed in a heap on the clouds surface. Nopony seemed to notice.

"Are you kidding me?!" Rainbow shouted above the noise. She flew until she was above the crowd, so everypony could see her; including the Wonderbolts. "This is the sorry excuse you picked as a Wonderbolt?!" She knew she was being rude, but she couldn't help how cruel she was when she was upset. "This...No! Lily is the one who belongs in that mares clothing store! NOT ME! I should be up there, signing autographs! Not her, passed out on the floor!! She can't even FLY, for Celestia's sake! What's she gonna do, run on the ground below them?!"

Nopony seemed to hear her freak-out. Or notice her.

Or care.

The attention-seeking, wounded pegasus slowly drifted back down to the ground as cold, hard reality set in: The Wonderbolts wanted a nervous little earth pony that was weaker and much, much worse than the pride champ herself. Rainbow's knees sank to the ground as a wounded scream ripped it's way out of her body.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Nopony bothered to give her the attention and friendship she seeked. There was no denying it anymore. Her worst fear had somehow come true. Rainbow gave up on screaming to the heavens and wept for the first time since she was a child.

She had to admit: It felt good, but it didn't help fix anything. Yet still, nopony at all helped her. So she cried and wept every last tear out of her body, and by the end of the day, she was on a large, grey, lonely cloud. Only having the passed-out Lily Valley to keep her company.