• Published 30th Sep 2015
  • 1,380 Views, 33 Comments

Fears - Short Stories



The mane six must face their fears to prove themselves to Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
11
 33
 1,380

4.1) Wingz for Life

Scootaloo's doctors appointment was today. She stared at herself in the mirror, long enough to take in a deep breath, close her eyes, and calm her nerves. Her doctors appointment was today. She was going to take a simple test today one that was to help see if she would be able to fly or not later in her life.

She had a flight appointment today.

Slowly, she moved away from the mirror and made her way downstairs. Her mom, Amber, was at the table, drinking some fresh water and reading the morning newspaper. "I can totally ace this appointment today..." Scootaloo mumbled to herself as she reached up on her small hind legs to try and get some breakfast cereal. "It's in my blood and bones; I have this in the bag!" She wasn't sure if this small pep talk was working or not.

"What was that, sweetie?" Amber asked, gently setting down the morning paper to face her daughter. "Did you say something?"

"Uh.." Scootaloo chuckled out of nervousness and the fact that her mom had just caught her speaking to herself like a crazy pony. "I guess I'm just a bit nervous about my flight test today."

"Flight appointment." Her mom corrected, walking over to her daughter and wrapping her in a hug. "Don't be, Scootaloo. I'm positive you'll fly just like I did when I was your age."

"Like a chicken?" Scootaloo asked, trying to break away from her mom's embrace.

Amber smiled at Scootaloo's sarcastic statement and held her out at arms length. "No," she whispered, "like a falcon."

Scootaloo nodded, suddenly looking bored. "A falcon with clipped wings." She added, at which point Amber let out a sigh and let go of her daughter.

"Scootaloo, I know you've tried your hardest to fly this past month, and I know the results were..." she paused, sucking in a breath, not sure how to continue and keep her daughters ego safe. "Crooked..." Amber winced when she saw Scootaloo roll her eyes, "but don't give up hope! Who knows? Maybe today is the day you'll spread your wings..."

Scootaloo's grin was the best grin any mother could ever see. "...and soar..." Scootaloo finished in a hushed whisper. Her mom nodded, returning Scootaloo's grin; she said something about breakfast and 9 o clock, but all of Scootaloo's attention was on her wings. The wings that could help her reach the clouds.

Today.


"That's the last test there is, Mrs. Amber." Doctor Heartbeat said, "I'll have the results back in about two hours. Feel free to stay here and enjoy our new vending machines." He gesture towards some vending machines out in the hall that had lollipops in each slot. "We need them to help raise money." He added when Amber gave him a curious look.

"I'll give Scootaloo here a dollar or two so she can get herself a sucker." Amber said with a warm smile, then quickly ushered Scootaloo out of the small room. She gave the small orange pegasus two dollars, which Scootaloo quickly fed into the machine, and received four lollipops in return.

"What do you think I got on my test score, mom?" Scootaloo asked, her mouth stuffed full with suckers ranging from red to green.

"I'm not sure, sweetie." Scootaloo instantly hung her head, "but I'm sure it's fantastic!" Her mom finished with a wink.


"This is anything but fantastic." Heartbeat said as he levitated the final results. "I don't mean to scare your precious one, Mrs. Amber, but..."

"But what?" Scootaloo interrupted. She had a orange and green swirled lollipop in her mouth that barley mufflled her words.

"Shh, sweetheart, it's OK.." Amber mumbled, all the while looking anything but calm.

Heartbeat took a deep breath before continuing. "But she..uh..Scootaloo may never be able to...fly..." he cleared his throat, worried Amber would go full karate on him. "...Fly..."

The sucker in Scootaloo's mouth fell onto the long wax paper she sat on. Everything seemed so distant. Heartbeat's words rang through her head like a bell.

Never...be able to...fly...

Never...fly...

Never...

The world around her went from the dark purple of the room's tiled floors to the inky black of the midnight sky. A sky she'd never be able to touch or sleep upon.

"Scootaloo!" Amber's voice sounded like she was calling her name from ten miles away. Scootaloo was already gone.

Author's Note:

Idea given to me by BerginatorGaming! :D