• Published 9th Oct 2015
  • 966 Views, 97 Comments

Major and Minor - Lady Froey



Vinyl Scratch goes through the hardship of her teenage years.

  • ...
3
 97
 966

Chapter 2 - Summertime

When Vinyl’s classes ended, she still avoided most of her classmates and immediately left the school grounds by herself. However, rather than taking the shortcut through the alley, she would meet up with Derpy just outside of the campus. The summer breeze tingled as it whisked over her shoulders. Vinyl’s bruises had long since faded, so it felt good to wear something sleeveless again. The semester really had passed in a flash.

Derpy was leaning back against the trunk of a tree, watching the clouds.

“Yo,” Vinyl called, waving to her.

“Hey Vinyl.” Derpy sat up and smiled.

“Doing all right?”

“Yeah, I have to wrap up some projects this month, but I think I’m starting to become adjusted.”

“Good to hear.” Vinyl nodded, and the two began walking down the dirt road from the school into town.

“What about you Vinyl? How is high school?”

“More or less the same. I’d say it’s not hard, but honestly I just do enough to make sure I’m passing. It’s just busywork that I need to knock out so I can go home and do some some real work.”

“Real work?” Derpy tilted her head.

“Maybe ‘useful’ is a better word. Math is fine and all, but we all know I’m not gonna get a job doing math. I like music, and I can only work on music when I'm at home. The school’s budget came up short, so their brilliant solution was to cut most of the art and music programs.”

“Is that what you want to do when you grow up?”

“Yeah, my mother hopes I will follow in her steps and become a pianist, she taught me to play since I was a filly.” Vinyl looked up at the sky and smiled as they walked. “I don’t think I will ever be on her playing level, but I have begun to play full pieces.”

“So, you want to play piano professionally?”

“Not exactly. I do play piano, but mostly I’ve been getting into music production.”

“Like... playing a guitar?” Derpy asked, a bit confused.

“Nah, not quite. I use a bunch of old equipment my mom helped me pick up on the cheap over the past few years. Mainly keyboards and synths, drum machines, samplers. Stuff like that.”

Derpy slowed her pace, shaking her head back and forth. “I... have no idea what half of that is.”

“I can show you my setup if you’d like. Mom should be cooking dinner soon enough, too, if you wanna stay.”

Derpy’s hooves scraped the dirt as she stopped. “Um, maybe another time, Vinyl. I need to get back to the— to my place and get some work done.” She waved her hoof.

“Aww…” Vinyl said.

“I would like to hear you play piano sometime, though. Your mother plays very well and I imagine you carrying some of her talent.”

“A bit,” Vinyl smiled.

“Well, I wasn’t lying that I do need to get some work done. I have another project I have due in a few days.” Derpy began walking off in another direction and waved. “Have a good afternoon Vinyl.”

“Later.” Vinyl waved back, walking home by herself.


Vinyl opened the door to her home to find her mother sitting on the sofa reading a book.

“Hello, dear. Had a good day at school?”

“Eh. Same old, same old.”

“As long as you are passing. Did you see Derpy today?”

“Yeah. We talked a little on the way home, but she had to go back to the adoption house and get some schoolwork done.”

“Poor dear." Claret shook her head. "You have told her she’s welcome to come do her work here any time, haven’t you?”

“I do, but she just keeps saying she’s fine.” Vinyl sighed. “I know that she’d be happier spending more time with us, but… I just don’t get it.”

“I can’t say for sure, honey, but she probably doesn’t want you feeling like she needs any help. You’re her first friend since she’s moved here, right?”

Vinyl nodded slowly. “Maybe ever. I don’t know.”

“She might not want her first friend pitying her. She’s had a hard life and everyone’s been looking down on her. Tomorrow, why not try asking her to spend time with you instead of offering it? Maybe that might go over better.”

“I hope so...” With nothing more to say, Vinyl placed her saddlebags on the floor by the piano. Claret returned to her book. Vinyl knew she was hungry, but all she could think about was Derpy studying alone in some tiny room. The piano didn’t look like it had been played today. With a sigh, Vinyl pulled the bench out and lifted the lid. Maybe some practice would clear her head.

Closing her eyes, her horn glowed and she began pressing a few keys gently, then began playing.

The piece was slow and simple, but not something sad. Vinyl was playing it flawlessly at her own speed, adding her own personality to the piece.

Her mother took a quick glance and gave a smile. She enjoyed the piece Vinyl played, but even moreso, she appreciated how much her daughter had grown in her skill.

Vinyl then transitioned to a more complex piece, her speed began picking up. She opened her eyes only focusing on the piano; she missed a note giving a small groan, but kept going along. She began to sweat, the piece at first seemed just more upbeat, but became more complex and it soon overwhelmed her. The playing went from something she enjoyed to a chore; missing a few more notes, the piece became sloppy to the point she slammed a few keys and stopped.

“Damn it.” She said, breathing heavily with sweat going down her face.

Claret got up from the sofa and placed her hoof on Vinyl’s shoulder.

“Vinyl, I know you want to get better, but you can’t force yourself to play. You need to learn the sections that give you the most trouble and learn to play them slowly over time.”

“I know. I was just hoping I could pull it off.”

“You are improving, even if you don’t think you are. Just keep it up and you’ll be able to play it through in time.” Claret smiled.

“Right.” Vinyl walked over to the fridge opened it looking for her favorite drink.

“Hey, mom, do we have any Blue Surge?” She said.

“No, dear. You shouldn’t drink those, anyway. They are not good for a mare your age, or anyone, really.”

“I’m going to head out to the convenience store,” Vinyl walked over to the door. “Do we need anything else?”

“We are well stocked. Don’t be gone long, Vinyl.”

“All right.” Vinyl closed the door and walked out of the house.

Walking through the neighborhood, it was still the mid-afternoon with plenty of time to spare for the day, Vinyl went into the business district to her favorite convenience store and went inside.

An older mare was sitting at the register, reading a magazine. Vinyl went straight to the back wall where the drinks were stored and overlooked the wall of lit energy drinks in front of her.

Vinyl eyed the wall of drinks, but went for a tall blue and silver can. She walked up the register.

“This it?” The mare at the register said.

Vinyl eyed the cigarettes behind the cashier, but shook her head.

“Nah. This is all.”

“All right. Three bits.”

Vinyl withdrew three bits from her wallet and took her drink.

“Thanks. Come again, now.”

Vinyl walked outside the store and cracked open the aluminum can, placing her nose against the cold rim and breathing in the sweet scent of chemicals and some berries with names she couldn’t pronounce. Her mother’s coffee was good and all, but sometimes she needed something sweeter. The way it made her tongue tingle was pleasant as well.

Vinyl took her time on her way back home. Finishing a whole Blue Surge took time, and besides, her mother probably wanted some quiet time to finish the chapter she was on.

Coming upon the home, she noticed the house was still silent. Surely her mother felt like playing piano today?

Vinyl opened the door slowly. Maybe her mother was having another one of her headaches. “I’m home,” she called softly. No response came. Vinyl trotted into the living room. Her mother wasn’t at the piano, and she wasn’t reading on the couch either.

“Maybe she’s gone out?” Vinyl said to no one in particular. There was no reason for her mom to leave the house today, or at least nothing she remembered. Even if she were nursing her headache in bed, she’d have said ‘hi’ or groaned for an ice pack. The stillness felt wrong.

Thump.

Something was moving behind the sofa. Something big.

Vinyl tensed, clapping a hoof over her mouth to stifle a yell. What is that?

Should she call the town guard? The phone was in the hallway, just past the source of the noise. Slowing her breath to get her heartbeat under control, Vinyl peeked her head around the corner slowly. Her mother’s book lay open on the floor, her bookmark laying next to it. And there was something white next to the book.

A hoof.

“Mom?” Vinyl slunk around the couch. Claret was sprawled on the floor, twitching. Her eyes were glassy, like a doll’s, and stared straight ahead as she shook. Her horn and hooves clattered against the hardwood floor.

“V-Vin—” she said.

“Mom!” Vinyl kneeled down on the ground beside her. “I’m here, just…” Shit! What am I supposed to do!?

Vinyl placed her hooves on her mother’s shoulders to keep her from thrashing around. She managed to remain calm, but had no idea what was going on.

“P-pho-phone.”

“Right,” Vinyl raced to the kitchen phone and punched in the emergency line. “Hello? Hello!? Yes, my mother needs an ambulance!”

Author's Note:

Special thanks to editors Madeline L-Equine and Gardrek for helping with this chapter.