• Published 16th Sep 2015
  • 4,543 Views, 65 Comments

Show, Don't Tell. - AndromedaNova



Love is a magical thing, it shows how you truely care for another, but when not used properly, very bad things can happen

  • ...
12
 65
 4,543

II: Diversion

'I actually did it.' Spike thought.' Years worth of misfortune, nopony to run to, and blood, sweat, and tears all into those girls.' This was his life now, he was gonna explore the land, 'til his dying breath, and see the world can really be beautiful..... Hopefully.

Spike was soaring swiftly through the air, the wind went against his ears, and his excess scales sticking out whistled quite loudly. Yep, this was his thing. He knew he wasn't the greatest, fastest, or most stamina filled flyer, but he didn't care, when he flew, that is all that mattered. Though his satisfaction was flowing through his brain for the entire trip, it was broken by the sudden gush of wind, pulling him upward and back.

"W-What?!" Spike exclaimed, and he finally looked at where he was.... Right in the middle of a damned storm. He knew he had to act fast, but he couldn't think clearly. Every time he tried to formulate a plan in his head, he gets dragged back, and nearly descends out of any way of flying.

If his life wasn't hard enough as it was at that point, a funnel cloud submerged out of the nimbus clouds. Trying his hardest to stay away from it, he was still pulled up and away from the cloud. Luckily, he was too far away from the funnel cloud for it to affect him. Even if it did throw him into the ground, he wouldn't die because dragons were created to where they wouldn't die from falling, in case of any debris, storms, or anything of the sort.

Suddenly, CRAAAASSSSHHHH.

In front of Spike, lightning stuck and blinded his vision, not permanently, but enough to make him not see for about ten minutes, but that didn't matter anyway. Spike was already descending down rapidly, he thought he was falling, but he wasn't sure. 'Certainly I can catch myself up and not cra-' He thought crashing as he said he wouldn't would be too corny to happen, but not with his luck.

Fifteen minutes after the crash, the dragon picked up his face in disinterest,"Gosh, what are the odds that the moment I mention crashing, I crash?" Spike grunted lowly, and pushed himself up off the ground. The ground was as black as burnt toast put into the oven, never has he seen so much black and that intensity of it. He looked all over his body, a few cuts, burns, and bruises, however nothing that would really hurt him, he's had much worse. That wasn't the problem on his mind though,'Where am I?' was.

Spike, after slowly getting himself out of the crater, walked around the unpopulated area. Trying to spread his wings, he made an," OUUCH!" and put them back into his folded position. Surely enough, he was in no condition to fly, not yet. With how much it hurt, he thought it would take about a day or two to recover, but this was still a bit of a drawback, considering where he was going. Luckily, there was a sign he could just barely see, about a quarter-mile away, and that distance seemed like hiking for five hours from what he saw. Although he had that mentality, he still sucked it up and started limping his way over to the sign.

It took about ten minutes, yes no joking there, for him to get it, but when he saw it, he was enthusiastic! The sign was for Baltimare, this relieved him because he thought there wouldn't be any small towns for miles, but what'dya know? A big city, perfect time for dinner too! Getting caught up in this, he didn't expect a letter.... even if he didn't leave, but nontheless, he coughed out a letter. Spike read up to,"Dear Spike...." and ripped it into smithereens, even burning those too.

"I won't be needing that where I am going. Out of torture town, and next stop, big city!" He gave a heartfelt smirk, and started walking the way to the city, he knew the way from there, and got there in about thirty minutes. Spike, engrossed with the town at the moment, went venturing out to every free venue he could. Never went to Baltimare, but he knew his way around, and it was he wanted to go for a long time. After about an hour of exploring, he went to eat, getting a jewel smoothie, fancy jewel pizza, and an apple to hold him over for later.

Throughout his exploring, he's always noticed some posters up on poles and walls. "Trixie: Most Powerful Magician in Equestria. Performing tonight at 8 PM, in front of the town hall." Though the poster was kinda unprofessional, it was still eye-catching, and was tempted to go to it. He hasn't seen a lot of impressive magic recently, and he has heard she has really became one of the best in history. Spike didn't want to go just in spite of Twilight, he was mad, but not a moron. So, it was around 7:50 PM, and so Spike made his way, taking some time though, to the city hall. There was an entire audience! After Trixie and Twilight encountered a second time, it must've rubbed off on her to act more kind and less self-centered. She still had her third-person gimmick and referring to herself as "great and powerful", but that was about it.

Trixie performed many spells on participating audience members, like turning a mare into a stallion, a succubus spell (She quit the spell after a minute or so), advanced teleportation, and even showing she could control clouds without being a pegasus. There was plenty more, but these stuck out in particular to him. At the end of the show, Trixie explained," For all those wanting to me the Great and Powerful Trixe, feel free to come in my trailer at the back! Trixie is open for any discussion, just try not to go over conversations longer than ten minutes!" She gave the crowd a smile, and walked off to her trailer, being left with thirty seconds of applaud, yes, he counted.

Throughout the next few hours, he waited. It may seem silly, but he really wanted to talk to her, and Spike had no idea why. Maybe he hadn't had a good talk in awhile, maybe he wanted to vent, he didn't really know why at the time. Before he could even try to figure that out, the last pony walked out of the trailer, and Trixie said," Is there anypony else who wanted to talk to me?" Spike's attention perked up, and he walked inside, to be greeted by a smiling face.

"Wow! I haven't seen a dragon in years! Back when I was a bit of a boaster, I saw a purple dragon who looks quite a bit like yourself, only a child." Trixie said with delight, and pointed her hoof to a seat," Take a seat, my dear."

Spike grinned, and took a seat," Oh really, huh? Well, was the dragon with a lavender-coated unicorn? Twilight Sparkle?" She was quickly took back, and she uttered,"Are you....... Princess Twilight's assistance? Spike?" Trixie was enthusiastic, and swayed in a happy body language. "Trixie remember you! You were with Twilight when Trixie tried to say she was a better magician than Twilight! How is she by the way? Must be lucky to be with her all day!"

Spike slowly sighed,"Not....really..... I don't like her, in fact, I despise her." Trixie was shocked by this, even putting a hoof to her mouth," Why... Why would you say that? Trixie would think she would be a joy to be around almost all times!"

"Sadly mistaken, I even wish I were wrong. She and her friends are abusive and uncaring..... Even when I was a baby. When one of the friends had a birthday party in Canterlot, I wasn't invited to it. She is so lazy, that I have to do all the housekeeping and work around the castle, feed her, clean after her, anything!" Spike said sadly and with anger in his tone.

Trixie was astonished, how could the Princess of Friendship, of all ponies, be horrible towards him? She wasn't sure of who to believe, but she doubts the dragon would lie, seeing as he isn't in Ponyville at the moment. "Did you...... Run away from them? They aren't with you from what Trixie could tell, and wouldn't think you would be with them considering your.... situation"

Spike cracked his fingers, and laid his head back," Is it that obvious? Well, yeah. I did, and don't go around telling that I left her, what I told you is sincere, nothing short of the word." He tried to spread his wings, but quickly yelped, put them back into place, and started rubbing them,"As you can tell, I got in a bit of a predicament with my wings. I was flying high, and some lightning nailed my eyesight, a funnel cloud stirred my movement, so I dropped down on my back. It really sucks, as you may tell, but it'll be over in about a day."

Trixie was obviously interested in what he was telling her, as she was leaning in to get better visuals and hearing,"That's quite interesting....... Tell Trixie more about what you've been through, if you don't mind telling her." Then Spike was set in a conversation that went on, and on, and on, for nearly two hours. He told her how at one point the girls basically made Spike their servant on special events, including the Grand Galloping Gala, how they were jerks, saying to be more like ponies and all dragons are bad, and many more of their outrageously greedy and bad examples of how a friend should be. It didn't seem to end, the conversation that is, for what happened and what would've came if he stayed.

After those two hours have passed, Trixie took a yawn, and scratched her eyes,"Well, did you want to stay here for the night? You've been through quite a bit, and since you need to rest good for tomorrow, you should probably stay here at least for tonight." She looked as if she were about to pass out, but she didn't because of the conversation that she loved.

Spike, through exasperation, gave her a nod, and stood up. Trixie guided him to a guest room, and said," Well... here's you sleeping place for you, I think..." her speech getting all mixed up from fatigue, and slowly walked out of the room, closing the door after. Before she even closed the door, Spike was already on the bed, sleeping.


Around 10:00 AM


Through the entire night, he enjoyed every single second of sleep, so when he woke, he was a bit irked. The dragon still got up though, knowing he'd have to get some breakfast, catch up with Trixie, and eventually leave later today. Took some strength, but Spike got up to his feet, and grabbed his bag. As he walked out of the room, Spike grasped a big, red jewel right out of the bag, and devoured it near instantly, which made him very energized. To his suprise, Trixe was found in the living room already, wide awake.

"Good morning young dragon." She said, not even looking up,"Don't go anywhere yet, I need to tell you something."

Trixie got up, and trotted right up to him,"Trixie has a device that can help us communicate, in case you get in a situation and need Trixie's help. Don't take this any different than me wanting to make sure you are safe. Afterall, you are in a bit of a tight problem as it is." She put a button in his hands,"This device contacts me whenever you are in need, I will most likely always answer it, and it will provide a hologram of you and Trixie."

Spike was surprised by this advanced technology and magic. He'd never even seen Twilight do that before, maybe she'd gotten lazy. "T-thanks Trixie! I'll keep it in my bag, you know where I am going afterall..." Trixie quickly nodded, and took a bow,

"It was quite the pleasure meeting you, and I can't wait to talk to you again!" She said with a smile, and with a bit of enthusiasm in it, but she had just gotten up, so she couldn't be jumping on her hooves happy.

Spike also took a bow,"Same for 'The Great and Powerful Trixie'." He said with a smirk, with left Trixie giggling.


Spike left the trailer, and quickly took off into the skies once more. It felt great that he could fly after what seemed like an eternity, but he was simply glad the option was back. Finally, he was back on course, nothing would divert him again, at least not this time around.

Author's Note:

Oooh, new character for the future? She will be important to the plot, I promise that! So, nah, this wasn't just a filler chapter, trust me, I hate those too.

Thanks for sticking in for this story, the next chapter will be up by next week if I am free!

Comments ( 51 )

Great work!

You're improving!

I look forward to more chapters.

today i found this story read the first chapter same day chapter 2 is uploaded

Nice chapter, but a little bit fast-paced

6448784 Yeah, I can see where you are coming from. Don't worry though, the story will get much better in the next few chapters. We are not even into the main conflict yet.

6448838 Hmm... Alright, I'm going to fix the first chapter a bit.

I cant help but wonder was that letter to Spike was, could it be them pleading for him to come back or something stupid and selfish. I would think it would be the latter.

When's the next chapter I hope the main six figures out that they did him wrong.

Looking forward to the next chapter

If you don't continue it soon, I'm putting it up for adoption in my group.

6687774 Sorry bud, not until this story is over, and it can only be a fan sequel, and you have to talk to me about it.

6467442 I can't tell you what is in the letter, but I will tell you that it will be revealed soon. c:

6709356 Oh, so you are continuing the story?

6710141 It means no dipshit, but dip is more friendly and nice.

6905808 I've just been keeping up with school at the moment, I also have prep school to start looking for.

If you or other fans would like, I could contact you at least once a week and you could remind me to write some, and we can talk. This would be a good idea if you and/or others would like to participate in this idea.

6710148
So you're saying: "No dipshit" As in it's obvious that you're continuing.
Or are you saying: "No, dipshit" As in it is painfully obvious you're not continuing.
Please elaborate.

6992942

I said no dip followed by a laughing face. It's pretty obvious I meant I'm continuing.

7066723
Not really. . .
If you said "No, dip(shit)" It sounds like you're saying "No, I'm not, dip(shit)" You didn't intend it that way, so you're biased. Ask someone else who is unbiased, and they will probably say the same thing.

7068991 Why are you digging so deep on a discussion that wasn't even yours to begin with?

7070233 Do you have a problem with it? I don't see a reason why you would.

7070737 Because you are making a big deal out of something so small, making a mountain out of an anthill if you will, and I see no point when the conversation was over.

7071064 It just seemed a little unclear to me, and I wanted to clarify. What's so wrong with that?

7074182 The face at the end kind of inferred what it meant, which was I'm continuing it.

7076599 So you are continuing this then?

7080017 Yes, but it is on hiatus. Be sure to look out for my new story I'm gonna be releasing very soon c:

7080397
●▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D::D:D
●▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

7081053

●▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

DAMN, THIS COMMMENT IS FANCY

●▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

7081829 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶


٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)

7082072 The New Big Head Killer

It is based off of the Mask, y'know the one that has cartoon logic, but we're talking about the comic book version of the mask.

.....................................................Does Pinkie get a hoof of it? :twilightoops:

7085699 I will not reveal anything yet, all I will say is an original character starts off with the mask.

I hope you like the idea!

7086699 Oh definitely, more-so when it comes out. :pinkiehappy:

I like the Trixie in this story she seems nice :pinkiesmile: but I want to know how the main 6 :twilightangry2:are going to react to Spike leaving

please tell me spike gets a good life at the end of all this.

7345535 They'll figure it out eventually, but how, I cannot say.

7360334 Well, you'll just have to wait and see for yourself!

I can safely say that this story is out of Hiatus. New chapters are being worked on right now, and I have a plan for the amount of chapters.

I do not think there should be more than 20 chapters, that'd be excessive and dragging the story out longer than it needs to be.

I'm thinking around 10-15 chapters for an ideal amount.

Side note: Chapter 3 is getting juicy and it has quite a bit of work put into it.

I am going to be brutal because that's the best way to learn as a writer. Trust me, I know.

The pacing is way too fast. You're not setting up the characters as strongly as they could. You're not building Spike's emotional confusion and strain, so it stops me from sympathizing with him and giving me nothing to relate to. Character development doesn't have to be long, but it needs to be done right. For example, you could do an inner-monologue like:

How could they do this to me? How could she do this to me? I loved her.

Spike looked at Twilight, betrayal beset in his emerald eyes. "I loved you..."

I'm not telling you "Omfg, he is sad", instead I am letting the reader feel some of the hurt he has.

Also, your setting is skewed. I understand you want to do flashbacks, but you still have to establish why or how that affects the story in a constructive way. So far it's skipping around too fast backwards and forwards and you're not letting the plot be properly established. There needs to be a little more emphasis on the situation. If you want us to go back in time, take us with you but dedicated a good portion as to why that's relevant. Otherwise, it might be better to just do an internal flashback. Something like:

Spike recalled the past, seemingly another lifetime ago. The laughs, the fun, parties, and the warmth. Such a happy lie, only to be dashed away by the sad truth.

I see this story is on hiatus. I hope that you continue, there's a lot of good ideas here. I think with a few touch-ups, you could have a seriously great story.

7393802 Thank you for reading this comment, I appreciate that!

Now, I'm going to be honest: one major reason why I put this on hiatus is because that. I didn't have great pacing and I literally told and didn't show (Yes, I messed up my own title story XD). I'm continuing it now, but there is a chance I will completely rework and redo it. This story had a lot of ideas to it, but at the time I was being lazy and probably wanted the story to get out as soon as possible.

If I had laid out some backstory/prologue, I think the story could've been more relatable, but all I did was state that he was left in the shadows of the six.

Yes, I also agree that the flashback was pretty bad in my opinion, I could think of many ways I could've improved it. I could've made the entire story a monologue said by Spike to the Mane Six leading to an epic conclusion, and that would've sparked up people's interest and want them to see what happens after he tells the entire story.

I really do appreciate the constructive criticism, I always thought this story had major flaws, and now I realize them more clearly. Thanks again for reading it, and because of your comment, I will make it my duty to rework the story instead of making more chapters for now.

7393802 My only problem with redoing this story will be trying to figure out a beginning few paragraphs, after that, it will come naturally to most. Maybe you could help me to see if my story redoing is decent?

7393988 I barely have any time, so I can help but you're probably better off asking for volunteers in a blog post. I still have 5 stories to finish...

7396199 Well yeah, but I thought how they were like that was kind of unexplained and way too stupid of a reason why he can't go. The rewriting will be much better :D

Well I can tell after looking at this again, and the profile man, that this thing is dead entirely. This and no rewrite, can somebody else start this again?

8402529
I will tell you what: if enough people ask for it, I will remake the story (with this original concept in mind) but make it much better.

I do not feel like continuing to write on this story as it is because I absolutely hate my original writing. Nothing against anyone who liked it, I just couldn't stand building off of it today.

If anybody wants to make their own take on this as well, I wouldn't mind someone giving me the idea and letting me help out a bit (as it was my original concept).

The first chapter would have to be nearly 10x longer for it to really drive the emotions and be as good as it can be. Unfortunately, I could've shown and not told myself, as the whole conflict seems to only be explained in the description.

Again, if enough people ask for a remake of this version, I wouldn't mind doing it. Just note that A Dragon's Duality takes first priority.

8659070
Well, to be fair, this is the crappiest story I ever wrote. I could've done so much better, but I didn't. Although, I'd probably rather read this over all those crappy clopfics that appear on the featured list.

I would recommend you don't read this bad story and instead read my other one if you so desire.

It's unfortunate that this story was cancelled, I enjoyed where it was going.

Login or register to comment