• Published 18th Nov 2015
  • 5,304 Views, 212 Comments

The Untold Story of Mystic Sparkle - Admiral Q Ponyform



In a devastated Equestria one sister plans to go back in time and save a sister she never met.

  • ...
25
 212
 5,304

Talks and Reunions

In the waning hours of the night, Luna had finished all her royal duties; plus those she felt were needed after the attempt on Twilight's life. Rage filled her at that thought. Twilight was one of the most kind and caring ponies out there. She believed in the best of ponies and always wanted to help. Luna had always disliked the nobles, and this has only served to increase her distain, with the way they treated her savior and one of her closest friends. Yes she was in full agreement with her sister that a lesson needed to be taught.

She entered Tia's room and felt the tingle of her sister's ward. Tia was done taking chances with Twilight, which Tia seemed to see as her daughter. The site before her seemed to support that. Celestia was asleep, but curled around Twilight Sparkle like a mother to her filly. It was cute. Then she noticed the book laying next to Twilight. A book from a mare from the future who sacrificed everything to save Twilight Sparkle; a mare who was her sister. Something about the book called to her, and with her sister and Twilight asleep now was the chance to see why. Taking the book, she teleported to her room, which just as warded as her sisters, and began to examine the magical signature on it. It had two. The stronger one was unknown to her but felt like Twilight's.

'Must be Mystic's magic.' She thought and examined the other. The other was faint and hidden but it was decidedly her own. Her future self must have left it behind and hidden it for some reason. She found the 'keyhole', and guessing her future self would go for something simple she used her magic signature as a key. The magic released itself and engulfed her in darkness.

The darkness only lasted but a second before she found herself in her old quarters in the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters, the room having been restored to it's former glory.

“I had hoped you would find me.” A regal voice said, and Luna turned around to the source of the voice. A pony emerged from the shadows. The pony's figure was exactly like her own but her coloration was not. No, the pony front of her was her, but in the form and the colors of Nightmare Moon; she even had the slitted eyes. Luna braced herself for an attack but the Nightmare only lifted a hoof up. “Peace Luna, I am you. Or rather a future version of yourself.”

“Then why do you have that form?” Luna accused. The Nightmare scowled back at her.

“Because that is how dark my time has become! That I had to embrace some aspects of our darker self to just survive!” The Nightmare took a deep breath and expelled it. “I was not created by my Luna to be your enemy, but to show you a different perspective then what Mystic can tell you. Speaking of the young mare; did Mystic succeed in her goal?” Luna looked down and replied.

“She saved Twilight, but at the cost of her own life.” When she looked up and saw Nightmare Luna close her eyes and breath deeply.

“At least her death was not in vain.” Then Nightmare Luna opened her eyes and looked to her other self. “Keep Twilight safe, but don't cut her out of decisions. Her absence of input helped the situation crumble, until it led to my Equestria.”

“We are planning to send her to the Crystal Empire.” The Nightmare nodded.

“Good, it is the one place we could trust, and what was left of the Sparkle family has lived their peacefully. They will be good allies in the days ahead.”

“What else can you tell me, the night grows short?”

“Mystic's book has more details on how everything came to be in my timeline, so use it well. As for what I can tell you; arrest Amadeus Blueblood. He is the mastermind behind everything that happened. He convinced his son to organize the assassination and to take the fall for the family.” Nightmare snorts. “I remember Mystic saying that she believed that Amadeus even had his wife killed. All to pave a path for his alicorn daughter to take the throne. And again, keep Twilight in the loop. Tia tried to fulfill the goals Twilight had, but in her grief and anger she probably went about it the wrong way. I don't know for sure.” Both look up as the world begin to brighten. Nightmare looked at Luna, before she ran upto her and touched her regalia. Luna saw magic go into it. “This will allow you to summoned me at night, if you ever need my council again.” With a white flash it was over, and Luna found herself in her room. Seeing her sister's sun rising in the east, she knew it was time to return the book, and prepare for the days ahead.


* * * * *

Dash, like the others was confused and worried. Spike was awoken late last night with a message from Princess Celestia telling them that they needed to come to Canterlot, and that her guard was bringing chariots to get them there instead of the train. Something big must have happened last night. Hay of a time for this to happen. She didn't want to see Twilight right now. Her friend had done something awesome and became and alicorn, and a princess last year. She had talked to Twilight a couple of days ago, begging her to use her influence to finally get into the Wonderbolts; but Twilight refused to. She couldn't believe it. All of her close friends knew of her dream to be a part of that team, yet Twilight wasn't helping her, WHY!? She said it was because Dash wasn't a team player. What's up with that? ‘I am part of the team! The Elements of Harmony are feathering a team. I am a team player and after everything I've done with and without them I deserve a position with that team.’ Twilight had disagreed, and after more words she had yelled at Twilight. 'I HATE YOU!' Were the last words between them, before she had taken to the air. After some cool off time, she had realized that she had been too hard on Twilight, and saying that she hated her. But Twilight just made her so angry right now.

The sun was still on it's rising track when they reached the castle. Princess Luna was waiting for them. She looked very tired to them as they landed.

“Princess, what was so urgent that you had us come this way?” Spike asked, running up to her. Before the Princess answered, she closed her eyes and her horn flashed for a second. “What was that?”

“Silence and perception spells. As far as anypony is concerned we are talking about routine things. Come with me there is much to discuss.” She turned away from them, and after looking at each other they all followed her. “Now, the reason you have all been summoned is grave situation. Last night, an attempt was made to assassinate Twilight Sparkle.” They all gasped, and Rainbow felt like she was hit right in the gut. She may have been mad at Twilight, but for somepony to want to kill her.

'SWEET CELESTIA!' She thought, as she was sure the others did.

“Is Twilight alright?” Applejack asked with a great look of concern.

“Physically she is fine. A brave unicorn mare prevented that kind of harm. However she is in emotional pain right now. And not with just the attempt on her life, but with everything. I don't know how much she has told you, but the nobles have been really hammering her on her policies. More than once she has sought either me or my sister for comfort and advice.” That just made Rainbow feel guilty. Her friend was dealing with all that, and she just had to add to it. How dumb could she be? “In addition, all evidence concludes that the mare who saved her was her sister, one who originate from what is now an alternate future.” Rainbow's mind just went blank there, shutting down at the new information.

“How's that even possible Princess? Twilight told us the time travel spell was only able to go back a week, and I know she doesn’t have a sister?” Rarity asked. After the whole wedding fiasco, they had asked each other if anypony had anymore secret siblings.

“Correct, with regard to the spell Twilight used. However, the spell this Mystic Sparkle used was one she created, and she came from nearly twenty years in the future. A future where Twilight died last night.” They all gasped at that. Rainbow was hit even harder.

'I HATE YOU could have been the last words I ever said to her.'

“HOW COME THA GUARDS DIDN'T CATCH THIS NO GOOD SCOUNDREL BEFORE HE COULD GET THAT CLOSE!?” Applejack demanded. She seemed angrier then most.

Luna hung her head, dejected. “Because our guards are part of it.” Luna stated, causing all of them to look in shock again. “From what Mystic has written in a book she left us, this is part of a long planned coup against me and my sister. We have long known that some unicorn nobles weren't happy with how we rule. They wanted unicorn supremacy again, while we treat each tribe equally. The bulk of our Royal Guard are now untrustworthy. Even my thestrals cannot be fully trusted. Right now we are keeping the fact Twilight is alive a secret.” Silence prevailed after that as the girls took in all that they have heard. Dash had always thought they lived in a near perfect place. Ponyville is unique because of the Everfree, but the bulk of the country rarely has to deal with a monster attack. Just normal everyday things. She had heard of some of Twilight's plans, and they were good from what she knew. She wasn't an egghead like Twilight in the least, so some went over her head. Granted, not all of Twilight's plans worked, but they sounded like they would help Equestria. Now some so called ponies wanted her dead because of them. How had she missed this? Being a good flier you needed situational awareness. Being able to see everything at a glance and yet she never saw this. How have they all missed this? Was everything she thought about Equestria a lie? They stopped at a door with Celestia's mark on it. Luna broke the silence. “Twilight is inside. Go to her and comfort her. She needs your support more then ever.” With that Luna lead them inside, and they had their first look at Twilight. She looked like she hadn't brushed her mane in weeks, and had a sad lost look till she saw them. Then her eyes brightened immeasurably .

“Girls!” They all ran to each other, and soon a six pony and one dragon hug pile was created. “It's so good to see you all.” The hug broke off and Rainbow stared down at the floor and pawed at it.

“Look Twilight.....I'm sorry. I'm sorry for the words I last said to you. I don't hate you. I could never hate you.. I was just mad a-a-and I just....” Tears started flowing out of her eyes. “I'm so SORRY!” She felt somepony hugging her, and voice said in her ear;

“Rainbow, I forgive you.” With that Rainbow wailed, and unknown to her Twilight was crying as well. Despite all that recently happen, it healed a rift between two friends and the others allowed that healing to happen.


* * * * *

Luna watched the friends mend their relationship with a bit of envy. If only she and Celestia were able to do so a thousand years ago. After Twilight and Rainbow separated, Twilight found herself being hugged by Spike.

“Mother, don't you dare leave me.” he pleaded.

“I'll do my best Spike. Thanks to Mystic I didn't have to this time.”

“Where is this sister of yours darling? We simply must give her our thanks.” Luna saw Twilight wilt at that so she decided to answer.

“Young and brave Mystic Sparkle gave her life saving Twilight.” Applejack immediately went to hug Twilight as the others took the news. Rainbow was the first to break the silence.

“How did we miss this Princess? How did we miss such a threat from our own kind, after how many times we saved Equestria?” She asked angerly.

“As I have said before, my sister and I have known that some discontentment has being growing from certain elements of the nobility, but we never thought it would reach something on this this scale. Perhaps it was unwise of us to not pay closer attention to it, but we are now. The nobility as you know it will be coming to an end after this. If anypony is deserving of the title of nobility it is you six. And right now you are among those few we can trust.”

“Alright, so what's the plan?” Rainbow asked. “Twilight is clearly not safe here?”

“Perhaps she should come back to Ponyville?” Applejack suggested.

“Nay, fair Applejack. As much as I love your town, we don't know how many are with the traitors. According to Mystic's book, the Crystal Empire is the only safe place for her at the moment. After breakfast we will be sending her there with two of the confirmed loyal guards. Spike can go with her to receive and send messages. I'll have a candle setup for your five to use.”

“Princess Celestia has already made one for them.” Twilight interjected.

“Ah, good.” A knock came from the door. And Luna went over to open it to see what was outside. It was a food cart, and the smell from it brought a smile to her face. Bringing the cart in say declared; “Everypony, breakfast is served, likely from my sister.” Gurgles from several stomachs were heard and a fit a laughter ensued.

Luna observed the group as they all shared a breakfast. She had summoned a table for them all to eat from and her sister had a fairly large selection of both alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages; it was more than just cake that kept her plot big. It always amazed how such a diverse group of ponies could become deep friends. For example, Honest Applejack and Generous Rarity, a farmer and a dressmaker. One wants to make her way to the top of the fashion business and be among the elite, though that might change in the future. The other is just content to work her farm. As a result, Generous Rarity was all for cleanliness while Honest Applejack doesn't mind the dirt. These two should not be friends in the least, and yet they are. While she has noticed some teasing between the two they seem dear friends. Then there was Loyal Rainbow and Twilight Sparkle. The two act as if there was never an issue between them. The previous fight completely forgotten between them. Then it there was how they all treated herself. Aside from using her title, they treated her as a pony, not as a goddess. Exactly how she wanted to be treated. She had started to see where Twilight got her ideas from. This is what nobility should be. With these girls, her sister, and her niece they WILL make a nobility off of these girls and their virtues.

After a pleasant breakfast, Twilight donned a cloak to hide her features, and she and Spike hopped aboard a chariot being pulled by a pair of guards, one Luna was absolutely certain they could still trust. With a sad wave, the friends were separated once again. At least this time it was not permanent.

* * * * *

Twilight held her cloak close, but the cold of the north still bit her. Spike, with his internal fire was fine in this weather. It took a literal dunking in ice cold water to get him a cold. They only tried it once.
They had been traveling for hours now, and in all of that time Twilight had been thinking. First, she was glad that she and Rainbow made up. She had hated that rift, short as it was, and she could now only imagine how Rainbow would have dealt with her death if those words were the final ones, they never gotten the chance to make up together. She also thought about the future. She glanced at the book her sister had left for them. Mystic has given them a glimpse of what could happen. From this point on things would be different, but the foundations were there. But she was alive; at the cost of her sister she was given a second chance, and she was not going to waste it. They soon saw the shield surrounding the Empire, and quickly enough they passed through it.

The Empire was a beautiful place. She hoped the taint of Canterlot had not affected this place, nor that it ever would. The chariot landed on the largest balcony of the Crystal Palace, and Twilight saw that her brother, and her sister-in-law Cadance, were there waiting for her. Without a word the trio raced towards each other and a three way hug ensued.

“Twily I'm so glad that you are alright.” Shiny said.

“Me to Shiny, me to.”

“You are safe here. The Crystal Ponies see you as a hero, and the bulk of my guard is made up of them. Those few who are not I have begun carefully vetting, and their bank accounts are being checked right now, for any large influxes of money.”

“Shining, that isn’t legal” Twilight protested.

“Right now I don’t care; I will not lose you.” he sighed. “To think ponies I trusted, including one I thought of as a brother, would betray me like this.”

“Shining, I have started to read the book I was left. From the sounds of it, it looks like Gallant was blackmailed into it. Luna is looking personally into it.”

“That doesn't excuse it Twily, not with me. They have betrayed their oaths for power. What possible excuse could he have for this?”

“The same one you have right now – protecting his family.”

Shining looked confused, before he dropped his head in defeat. Suddenly, he let out a snort, before the fire returned to his eyes. “This is still inexcusable, and there will be a reckoning, if I have anything to say about it.” Cadance stuck out her hoof.

“You mean ‘we’, my love. Twilight is my sister, and they tried to kill my family too. We will bring justice to these traitors.” Shiny smiled and added his hoof. Then Twilight added her own.

“They tried to kill me for wanting a better Equestria. They failed, and we will show them the folly of their impudence. I just lost a sister to their power plays, and now is time for them to learn true ‘equality’.” Her brother and sister in law nodded, and thus the powers of Harmony rallied to put an end to greed and power.