• Published 8th Sep 2015
  • 624 Views, 23 Comments

Project Sleipnir - Aprion



The Dragons of Equestria have become mindless destructive monsters. Forced to flee to the frozen north the citizens of Equestria make a last stand in the Crystal Empire with the help of Giant Mecha.

  • ...
5
 23
 624

Chapter 1: First Sortie

Chapter 1
First Sortie

Icy winds howled over the snow covered peaks of the Crystal Mountains. Heavy snowfall blew down from the thick gray clouds above. It was the coldest and bleakest place he had ever been to, and Star Whistle hated every moment of it. He wasn't a pony who enjoyed the cold and snow. Hay's sake he used to work at the docs of Horseshoe Bay in Baltimare. A climate about as temperate as they come. And now he was stuck here at the frozen top of the world for the next two weeks on scouting detail. The habitats back at the city were cramped, but at least they were warm.

When command had asked for recruits with keen eyes he never imagined being stuck here of all places. But the idea of being out of the overstuffed city had been so tempting. If he had know he would be sitting with his flank in the ice and snow for several hours each day he would have kept his mouth shut. He was snapped out of his brooding thoughts when his ear-piece crackled with a static laden hiss.

“Crystal peak control to scout four, requesting status update. You see anything out there Star?”

Grumbling he reached for his radio. “Are you kidding me Cloud Kicker? I can hardly see a thing with all this snow. Hay there could be a dragon standing right in front of me and I wouldn't be able to spot it unless it stepped on me.”

“Yeah, sorry about that. We just don't have the manpower to keep the skies over the peaks clear of snow. There is simply too much ground to cover.”

Star Whistle let out a sigh. “I know, its rough everywhere. Maybe we could ask command to send additional Pegasi with the next shift change.”

“I will forward a request with the next report, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.”

“Right now I'd settle for some hot coffee, I'm freezing my cutie mark off out there.”

“Your patrol shift will be over in forty-five minutes. Try to hang in there and I'll have a cup waiting for you when you return. Crystal peak out”

Cloud Kickers voice cut out with another hiss of static. Putting the radio back in his pocket, Star Whistle pulled the thick winter coat tighter around himself and picked up his binoculars. He raised them to his face and scanned the valley below. All he could see was shades of gray and white. He lowered the binoculars and peered over his shoulder back to crystal peak. He could barely make out the outline of the mountain top against the dark gray skies.

Crystal peak was one of several observation posts established throughout the Crystal Mountains. Diamond Dog dig teams had hollowed out mountain peaks, cliff sides and other suitable locations to hide the facilities from the dragons eyes. Each one accessible through well camouflaged entrances, and interconnected by a series of tunnels that wormed their way through the mountains. They served as early warning beacons against approaching dragons. Each facility was staffed by twenty ponies, working in twelve hour shifts.

Star whistle shook himself to get the snow out of his mane when something at the edge of his vision caught his eye. A vague gray blob in the distant clouds that hadn't been there a minute ago. He quickly raised his binoculars to his face and peered through them, eyes narrowing. Something was moving out there. His heart leapt into his throat when the gray mass took on a distinct green shape the closer it got.

“Dragon.” he breathed. Almost dropping the binoculars.

With slow, almost lazy wing beats the titanic beast soared through the sky. Its snakelike amber eyes scanning the ground below with a malicious glare. Moving as fast as he could across the treacherous terrain, Star Whistle hid in the shadow of a large boulder, hunkering down in the thick snow and trying to make himself as small as possible. His heart hammered against his ribs so hard he was sure it would give out. He held his breath, fearing the beast might hear it despite the howling winds. He sat there for what felt like hours as the beast passed overhead. It let out a deep rumbling growl. Its barbed tail swishing left and right.

Now that it was closer he could see that this was no ordinary looking dragon. The first dragons that attacked Equestria were bigger than normal sure, but they still looked like every other dragon. This one however had an extra set of limbs. It had six legs instead of four. And the front pair had a pair of ridiculously over-sized claws. As the beast flew off into the distance he fumbled for his radio.

“Cloud Kicker! Cloud Kicker answer me.” He hissed into the microphone. Still not daring to raise his voice.

“Alright alright already. Whats got your fur in a knot?” Her voice came back over the radio.

“Contact command. Tell em they got incoming. And its a big one.”

*******

The unicorn known as Sunset Shimmer stood on one of the catwalks overlooking one of the cavernous engineering bays. There was a flurry of activity down below. Pony engineering crews, Diamond Dog loading teams and Griffon work crews all moving about with purpose. Sparks flew from welding torches. Power-tools sang. Hammers rang with the sound of steel striking steel. All of them adding to the din of organized chaos that took place around the massive steel legs of a gleaming white Sleipnir.

Standing two-hundred and thirteen feet tall at the poll and clocking in at sixteen-hundred and eighty-five tons. Emblazoned on its flanks, right where the cutie mark would be on a pony were the words Sol Invictus. Meaning, Unconquered Sun. Named in honor of princess Celestia.

The sound of two more pairs of hooves approaching made her look up to see Twilight and princess Luna moving along the catwalk towards her. Twilight was wearing a blue commanders uniform that matched her hair color. No doubt Rarity's work, Sunset mused. Twilight had temporarily relinquished the title of princess to act as commander of the Sleipnir program. As they reached her Luna spoke up.

“Salutations Sunset Shimmer. 'Tis certainly a sight to behold what thee and Twilight Sparkle have created.” she said as she let her eyes drift across the lettering on the machines armored flank. “Mine sister would be honored, and proud of thee both.”

Twilight averted her eyes, cheeks flushing lightly at the praise.

“We can't take all the credit princess Luna. It took hundreds of Ponies, Griffons and Diamond Dogs together to build these after all.” Twilight said humbly.

Indeed the Sleipnir program was a joined effort. It had taken months to turn Twilight and Sunsets initial idea into a functional design. Dozens of science ponies, magical researchers and crafts-ponies working in tandem. Countless experiments and failures. Some with fatal results. Finding ways to compensate for the limitations of science with magic and vice versa. Without the right balance of the two, their designs would have forever remained in the realm of fiction. If they lived through the coming storm their achievement would go down in the history books as one of the greatest feats of magi-technological engineering.

“How is princess Celestia? Has there been any change?” Sunset asked.

Luna shook her head sadly. “Nay Sunset Shimmer. Whatever magic holds our sister in its grasp is beyond us. Even in the dreamscape we cannot reach her. It is almost as if her mind is hiding and does not wish to be found. It vexes us greatly.”

“We have exhausted every magical and medical means of waking her.” Twilight said. “At this point we can't do anything but wait and hope that she comes out of it herself.”

They all stood in silence for a moment before Luna spoke up.

“How progress the preparations?”

Twilights horn lit up and a stack of paper floated from her uniform pocket. She briefly leafed through it before she spoke.

“We are on schedule. Though there have been a few problems here and there. Nothing crucial however. Most of it minor logistic errors. We now have two active Sleipnir on the roster, and the third should be completed today. We still have to give it a name though.”

“What has thy named the other machine?” Luna asked while sweeping a hoof at Sol Invictus flank.

Sunset smirked. “Its called Party Cascade. Three guesses who one of the pilots is.”

“Speaking of the pilots? How fares their training?” Luna asked after doing a small mental double-take at that particular reveal.

Twilight started leafing through her report once more but Sunset replied before she could dig up the right paperwork.

“Its slow but steady. The hard part is finding ponies who are compatible with each other. There has to be a certain chemistry between them to make things work. And of course the unicorn of the trio has to be trained separately to perform and hold the mind link spell under any condition for extended periods of time.

The mind link spell is a very intimate thing. So it helps if the ponies involved share a familiar bond. Close friendships, loved ones, even friendly rivals or competitors can work. Its not an absolute but it we discovered early on that it makes a big difference in establishing and holding the connection to the Sleipnirs ACB.”

“The machines AC-what?” Luna interrupted. Utter confusion written on her face.

“It stands for Arcane Crystalweave Brain. Its an alchemically treated crystaline matrix inscribed with a series of complex magical runes that-” Twilight began, but before she could fly of on a complicated and overly technical explanation Sunset interrupted her.

“It uses the mind link spell to basically read the ponies thoughts and actions and then the Sleipnir duplicates those actions. The two ponies up front dictate the physical actions such as walking while the unicorn acts as the bridge between them and the machine, but also has control over the various weapon systems. This is why the pilots have to learn to work in sync with one-another. That takes time and can't be rushed. Its hard enough to do with just two ponies. Even more so with three.”

“But thou hath made progress, correct?”

“Yes we have. And we are learning more as we go along so training the next group of candidates should become easier over time.” Twilight cut in.

Their conversation was interrupted by a panicked looking blue Pegasus who came flying up to them at top speed.

“Commander, Commander!.” He called out before dropping down onto the catwalk, catching his breath.

“Whoa slow down there Slipstream, whats going on?” Twilight asked, slightly startled.

“Word from Crystal Peak ma'am. A dragon is headed our way.

Three pairs of eyes narrowed.

“Art thou absolutely sure.” Luna asked sternly, gazing intently at the Pegasus.

“Absolutely your highness.” Slipstream answered, withering slightly under the Alicorns stern gaze.

“It would seem thy inventions are to be put to the test sooner than expected Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight stared into the distance. Her face unreadable. This was it, the moment they all knew would come. I they failed here, it would spell the end not just for Equestria, but for all of Equus. She felt the tendrils of dread worming their way into her mind, but crushed them with an iron resolve. They would NOT fall here. Not on her watch.

“I will be in the command center.” She said before spreading her wings and taking off.

Sunset gave a slight bow to princess Luna.

“I will go and inform our pilots.”

**********

The command center was a semi circular room located deep underground directly below the crystal palace. The far wall was dominated by a large view screen, flanked by two smaller monitors. Three rows of consoles bisected the room. Each occupied with two operators. At the back of the room was a small raised dais from where the commander could oversee everything.

As Twilight trotted through the doors those present snapped to attention.

“Commander Sparkle on deck!” one of the officers, a large beige Diamond Dog with a bulldog-ish face barked out.

“Listen up everypony, we just got word from Crystal Peak that we have an incoming dragon.”

Her words were met with nervous murmurs from across the room as they all began anxiously whispering to each-other.

“This is what we have been preparing for. We have all worked our flanks off. We trained everyday from sunrise till late at night. Now is the time to put your training to the test. I know we can do this, together.”

She paused briefly to let her eyes drift across the room. Twilights command crew was a diverse lot, made up primarily of Ponies of all three species, but also sported Griffons and Diamond Dogs. With a satisfied smile she saw the look of nervous anxiety in their eyes be replaced with one of determination.

“Everypony.... Battle Stations!”



All across the city alert sirens began to wail. Newly installed announcement billboards flashed the message: “Standby Alert”. All activity ground to a screeching halt as every eye was drawn to the message. As the sirens died down the message was replaced by a split screen video of Twilight and Luna. It was Luna who spoke first.

“Citizens of Equestria hear us. Our city is in peril. Remain calm and follow commander Sparkles instructions.”

That was twilights cue. She quietly cleared her throat before addressing the crowds

“We have confirmation that a dragon approaches. All non combatants are to proceed to their designated shelters immediately in a calm and orderly fashion. All combat personnel are to report to their section chiefs at their designated stations. This is NOT a drill.”

“Many of thee are no doubt frightened. But we ask thee to have faith in Twilight Sparkle, as we have. Follow thy instructions and we will emerge victorious.” Luna spoke, filling her voice with every ounce of conviction she could muster.

“We have survived this far because we stuck together. And together we will get through this as well. Now everyone carry out your instructions, time is of the essence.” Twilight said before the video cut out. The screens now displaying various safety instructions as well as a map that showed the entrance locations of all shelters.



Back at the command center Twilight let out a shaky breath. She still wasn't used to addressing such a large crowd, even indirectly through the billboards. The responsibility of her station weighed heavily on her. The choices she made in the next few minutes would mean the difference between life and death. Steeling her nerves she turned back to her command crew.

“How long before the dragon reaches the city?”

“According to the latest report approximately thirty minutes.” A butter yellow unicorn with a red gemstone cutie mark replied.

“I want Sol Invictus and Party Cascade deployed topside within ten minutes. As soon as they are in position raise the shield. Ruby Gem, patch me through to lightning control.”

“Aye ma'am” the unicorn replied.

The screen at the front of the command center lit up, and an elderly sky blue Pegasus mare saluted her.

“Awaiting your orders commander.” the spry elderly mare said crisply.

“Captain Foggy Fleece, the dragon is approaching by air. You are to raise all thunder canons and saturate the skies with lightning. Bring that bucker to the ground and keep it there.”

The elder mare rubbed her hooves together with glee.

“You can count on us commander. We'll roast that lizard like a hearts warming casserole.”

Twilight couldn't help but grin as the screen went black.

“Sleipnir pilots now boarding their units. Engine startup sequence has begun.”

“Status of the evacuation?” Twilight asked.

“About thirty-five percent complete.” barked the Diamond Dog who Twilight recalled was named Rustle.

“Any problems?” She asked him.

“None reported ma'am. If there are any I'll let you know.”

On one of the side screens several split screen camera views showed a series of strange looking cannons rising from underground bunkers all around the crystal city, as well as being deployed from below Cloudsdale itself. With an electrical snap and crackle they began to lob bright glowing spheres into the sky. The moment they made contact with the clouds they detonated with a thunderclap, sending dozens of lightning bolts in all directions. Some of them set off secondary detonations as they hit a particularly saturated cloud. Sending even more lightning bolts dancing across the sky. Soon the sky was filled with a lethal web of electricity more than a mile wide. It was like the wildest storm in history. A beautiful yet deadly spectacle to behold. The ever changing pattern the lightning made as it arced to and fro was almost hypnotic.

“Sol Invictus now ascending to gate three.” reported Redplume the Griffon, shaking Twilight out of her reverie.

One of the side monitors switched to footage of Sol Invictus inside the giant elevator while the main screen showed the edge of the city from one of the watchtowers. A large section of the ground inside the perimeter had been marked with large warning stripes. Yellow lights around the markings began flashing before the ground within it split open as armored bay doors retracted on rattling gears.

“Sol Invictus now reaching the surface. Party Cascade is now being loaded onto elevator two.”

******

On the giant view screen of emergency shelter twenty-four the armored head of Sol Invictus rose slowly from the ground. Each of the fifty shelters was equipped with a view screen so the occupants could follow events outside, rather than sit in the dark and worry what was happening. Yard by yard the machine emerged until the elevator fully surfaced and thick metal bolts locked it in place. With a thundering thud that shook the ground the machine took its first step. That simple first step send a cheer rolling through the crowd. Among them the cutie mark crusaders.

“Its working, its really working.” Sweetie Belle squeaked.

Apple Bloom punched the air with a hoof while shouting “Go get em big sister!”

*******


Sleipnir Pilot training rooms – a few minutes earlier.

Applejack was working up a good sweat, her strong hind legs striking out in rapid succession as she bucked at the target. She gradually picked up the pace until her hind legs were just a blur of action. A large portion of the training room contained gym equipment and other machines designed to test their physical and mental reflexes. The back wall held a series of target dummies for close combat training.

“Slow down AJ, I can't keep up.” Rainbow Dash said before doing a double take. “Never imagined myself saying those words. All the same slow down. Not all of us are apple bucking experts.”

Dash was doing her best to match Applejacks movements. Trying to kick her own target in sync with her. But despite being the fastest flier and having the reflexes to match, when it came to bucking things Applejack had a leg up on her. No pun intended.

“Aw shoot Rainbow you were doin' just fine.”

“Don't worry Applejack, clearly Danger Dash here has been hitting the cake too much lately. Its obviously slowing her down.” Said Vinyl Scratch as she sauntered up to the pair and poked dash in the barrel with a hoof. A teasing grin on her face.

“Dashie, why would you be hitting cake? Cakes are for eating. Hitting them seems like a waste to me.” Pinkie interjected.

“Would you two lay off already. There was no cake hitting. Period. And AJ simply has more experience with kicking things than me.” Dash grumped. Bumping Vinyl aside with her hip.

“Oh come on Dash its just a joke. No need to get so defensive.” Minuette said with mirth while Orchid Dew just broke down in giggles.

“Yeah yeah laugh it up you two. Shouldn't you be focusing on your own training?”

“You've kicked plenty ah clouds when y'all was leading the weather team Dash. Ahm surprised ya havin' trouble with this. ” Applejack said.

“Yeah, totally not the same thing AJ, trust me. Theres a whole lot of difference between cloud busting and bucking trees, or targets as the case may be.” Dash replied.

Just then the doors flung open as Sunset Shimmer trotted inside, her expression grim. She was followed by Rarity who floated several metal briefcases in her magical aura.

“Training is over ladies. Time for the real thing.”

“Wait what? What are you talking about Sunset?” Orchid Dew cried out.

“We just got word theres a dragon inbound. Twilight wants you all suited up and ready to deploy.”

“B-but were not ready.” Minuette protested. “We need more training. More time.”

“I'm afraid we are out of time darling.” Rarity said as she floated a suitcase over to each of them, popping the lid open. “it is time to sink or swim as it were.”

“Beg pardon Rarity but what're these?” Applejack said while pulling a bundle of strange looking fabric from her briefcase.

“Why those are your uniforms of course darling. I'll admit they look a bit, tacky. But they serve a purpose.”

The bundle of fabric turned out to be a skintight, bright red jumpsuit. The silhouette of a mechanical pony embroidered on the flank in bright gold and black thread where the cutie mark would be on a pony. A series of plug connectors ran along the spine.

“What are these for?” Orchid Dew asked.

“When you get inside the Sleipnir's cockpit your suit will hook up to the control armature. This will prevent you from being thrown around the cockpit when the Sleipnir takes a hit. As an added measure of protection, shock absorbing gel will be pumped into your suit to reduce the chance of injury.” Sunset explained.

“So wait, you're gonna cover us in goo?” Rainbow dash said, making a face.

“Not exactly. There are hollow pockets inside the suit that will fill up, sort of like balloons.”

“I like balloons.” Pinkie said cheerfully, making the others roll their eyes.

“Now get ready, that dragon will be here any moment.”

*******

Applejack slid her left back hoof into one of the armature's stirrups and pushed it down firmly. The machine, registering the presence of the operator clamped down on her hoof firmly but not painfully. Securing her in place. Slipping her other three hooves in she repeated the process until all her legs were secure.

On her left, Rainbow dash was doing the same while behind them Orchid Dew took place in her control seat. Unlike Dash and herself Orchids seat was not an armature rig but a more traditional pilot seat behind a control panel.

“You girls ready up there?” orchid asked as she buckled her safety belt with a tweak of her telekinesis.

“You kidding? I was born ready.” Dash quipped.

“All set sugarcube.”

“Here we go then.” Orchid breathed nervously.

Taking a calming breath she closed her eyes and focused on her horn, channeling the mind link spell. Her horn lit up as three strands of ethereal energy began to slither out from the tip. Two of them snaked their way towards Applejack and Rainbow Dash. Attaching themselves to each ponies forehead. The third tendril snaked upwards to connect to a large crystal lens on the ceiling. As soon as it made contact every console in the cockpit lit up. A thrum ran through the machine as systems sprang to life.

Connection hoses snaked out from atop the armatures above AJ and Dash as well as from the back of Orchids seat. Plugging into their jumpsuits. With a quiet gurgle and a cold sensation that send a shiver down their spines their suits were pumped full of shock absorbing gel.

Orchid slowly opened her eyes.

“Connection established.” She said. Her voice echoing slightly as if she were speaking into a metal bucket. “Whoa, thats weird.”

Applejack and Rainbow Dash blinked in unison before lifting their right front hoof and staring at it.

“Thats so freaky.” Dash exclaimed. Unlike Orchid her voice sounded normal. “It almost feels like I'm in three places at once. I'm in here. I'm in AJ's spot, and I'm out there, except I'm as tall as Canterlot castle.”

Applejack gave a quiet nod. The sensation was almost unreal.

A deeper bass hum ran through the cockpit as the Sleipnir's main power plant sprang into full life.

“Connection to the crystal heart has been established. We are now drawing power from it. Disengaging locking bolts.” Orchid said as she worked the controls.

With a faint lurch the platform beneath them began to move towards the launch elevator.

“Theres Pinkies ride.” Dash said as party cascade came into view through the armored cockpit window.

Applejack and Dash craned their necks slightly to get a better look, then suddenly Sol Invictus copied their movement. The cockpit turning until they had a perfect view of the other loading bay.

Unlike Sol Invictus, which was modeled after a Unicorn, Party Cascade had the much heavier build of an earth pony. The biggest difference though were the twin canons on its back that ran from two armatures to a turret attached to its croup. Pinkie called them the 'party canons 2.0'

The head of Party Cascade suddenly turned to look at them directly, then the magical holographic display of their cockpit turned on. Projecting the face of Pinkie Pie.

“Hi girls, ready to show this dragon how we ponies party?” she said cheerfully.

“Hay yeah.” Rainbow cheered. “I'm ready to kick some flank”

“See ya topside pinkie.” Applejack said as the elevator began its ascend.

********

Sleipnir Command Center.
Present time.

On the main view screen Party Cascade stepped off the elevator platform and walked outside the city perimeter. Far above the crackle of thunder and the dance of lightning continued.

“Both units are in position commander.” said Ruby Gem.

“The dragon is in visual range!” Rustle barked.

The main display switched to a view of the sky. Showing the gargantuan reptiles approach.

“Raise the shield.” twilight commanded.

“Aye aye ma'am.”

Far above them on the surface the crystal heart spun faster and faster until a beam of bright rainbow colored light shot into the sky. When it reached above the spire of the palace it split and turned into a shimmering multicolored dome that covered the entire city.

“Patch me through to the pilots.” Twilight said.

After a moment a split screen view of both Sleipnir cockpits appeared on screen.

“This is it girls. Are you ready?” she asked.

“As ready as we're gonna be Twi.” Applejack replied.

“Here's what I want you all to do,” Twilight began “Pinkie Pie, Minuette, Vinyl Scratch, hang back and engage the dragon at long range at your discretion. Do not engage it up close unless you absolutely have to or the others are in trouble.”

“Roger roger.” Pinkie said while snapping a salute. Her face a scrunched up in an overly dramatic grimace.

“Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Orchid Dew. As soon as that dragon hits the ground I want you to lay into it with everything you got. Go for the wings first. We don't want it taking off again.”

“We'll pluck that turkey lickety split Twi.” Applejack said.

“Ten seconds flat.” Dash growled.

“Celestia be with you.” Twilight said before breaking the connection. The screen once more showing the dragon.

********

Around the city, canons traversed to track the dragons approach. Gunnery crews worked feverishly to load the next round of lightning cannisters. With a might crack the canons let loose. Glowing orbs streaking into the lightning filled sky directly towards the dragon. They detonated just in front of the beast. Showering it with bolts of lightning. Roaring in pain the dragon began to dive, looking for whoever dared to attack it. Another volley, this one coming from Cloudsdale Pushed it down even further. Towards the waiting Sleipnir.

Party Cascade widened its stance. Back legs bracing as it lowered its front to give its canons an unobstructed view. They swiveled as they tracked the dragons movements. Capacitor coils whining as they charged up.

“Just a little closer.” Vinyls voice echoed from her control seat in the back. “Target is locked.”

“Drop the BASS!” Pinkie yelled.

The ground cracked underneath the warmachine's iron hooves with the recoil as twin beams of concussive sonic energy thundered from the barrels. They streaked across the sky with a blinding flash of crimson before slamming into the dragon, sending it tumbling end over end. With a sickening crunch the beast slammed into the ground. The earth shaking with the impact, throwing up a cloud of snow and loose soil.

“A-booyah! Thats how its done.” Pinkie exclaimed.

“Nice shot Vinyl.” said Minuette.

“When you got mad skills you got mad skills.” the blue haired unicorn nodded with a cocky smirk.

Their victory was short lived though. With an angry roar that echoed up and down the plains the dragon emerged from its impact crater. Eyes practically aglow with fury. It reared up to its full height, wings flaring threateningly as it stared down the two warmachines. Its absurdly large front claws splayed.

From their cockpit, Rainbow Dash and Applejack stared at the beast with angry eyes. Rainbows own wings were splayed in an instinctive threat display as her anger rose.

“Challenge accepted.” Dash growled.

“Time ta throw down.” Applejack replied.

With a mighty leap Sol Invictus set off into a full gallop. Charging the dragon head on.

Author's Note:

Well I hope this chapter was pleasing.

I am taking suggestions about what to name Sleipnir number 3. If you have a good idea for a name please let me know in a comment :pinkiehappy: