• Published 4th Sep 2015
  • 3,609 Views, 104 Comments

Equestria World, Book 1: Surviving Canterlot High - Gear Works



Jack's family just move to Ponyville, where he now attends Canterlot High. He soon learns that it's not like any school he's been to. If he wants to survive, he will need help from his new friends...and his special "gift."

  • ...
13
 104
 3,609

PreviousChapters Next
Ch. 8 - More Than Just Apples

Since Chrysalis joined our ranks, so to speak, Celestia agreed to let her in to the group, and it was Luna who got her up to speed on what we know. To avoid any unwanted attention, Chrysalis decided to report to Luna if anything odd would come up, since I always meet up with Celestia. Now the foundation was made for what the four of us would be researching on; understand my soul powers and trying to reform Sunset.

Chrysalis decided to attend to Rarity’s place this Saturday, The Carousle Boutique, so that she can decide if she wanted to join the fashion club or not. Luckily, my mother was able to take her there, since she wanted to see on of her customers herself. While they went to the Boutique, I went with my father to Sweet Apple Acres to take a look at the barn that Applejack was talking about. Rarity and Applejack was able to help us with where both locations were at, so we were able to keep those in our address book for later on.

My father’s GPS was able to help direct us to Sweet Apple Acres, where we were able to see Applejack’s house and the barn behind it, through the main gate. Already, Applejack and her family and workers were unloading bushels of apples off Big Mac’s truck and loading them to an open transport truck. As we pulled in to park, Applejack saw and waved at us.

“Bout time you got here,” Applejack said as we were getting out of the truck. “I wasn’t sure ya weren’t going to make it.”

“Had to make sure my mother and Chrysalis knew where Rarity’s place was before leaving home,” I said. “We only have one GPS, and my father likes to keep it in his work truck.” I pointed to the truck that we just got out of.

“Let me run in and get Granny for ya.” Applejack went into the house to get Granny Smith. We went up to Big Mac’s truck as they were still unloading the last bushel.

“Making a delivery run for the food stores?” I asked Big Mac.

“Eeyep,” he replied. “Got one more batch to pick up, and we’re done for the day.”

My dad was looking at his truck and asked, “What model year is this?”

“85 Taurus,” he said. “I noticed your son drives one as well.”

“78, slightly used when I bought it. Got the engine updated a bit to help last longer so that my son can drive it.”

“Done the same with mine. Coach Iron Will let me use his class to work on this truck’s engine, when it wasn’t in use.”

“I plan to take his class next semester,” I said. “Does he always take that class in the spring?”

“Eeyep. He does P.E. in the fall while coaching the football team, and puts his focus on Auto Mechanics in spring.”

“Hey, maybe you can join the football team like last year,” my dad added.

“Dad, I got forced into the football team because they needed more players for special teams. And I didn’t do much but punt because of how bad we were.”

“You did get a couple of field goals that time, son.”

I shook my head in frustration. My last school’s football team was one of the worst, and they needed a few more players in order to play last year and thought it was going to be OK. But in reality, it was just a waste of time. I did get a couple of long field goals, but even those didn’t matter. We were the worst team ever.

“I played both defense and kicker back in Canterlot High,” Big Mac said. “If you know you mechanics as a kicker, I’m sure Iron Will would like to have you on his team. Hasn’t had a good field goal kicker since I graduated. And I was one of the best. Record 55 yards, eeyep.”

“I rather NOT relive those times, so I’ll just pass,” I said.

Applejack came out of the house with Granny Smith, the school’s lunch lady, to meet us. “You must be Jack’s dad…um?”

“Ace Spades, miss,” my dad responded. “I heard to you need to have your barn looked at for repairs?”

“Darn right is does,” she replied. “Let me show ya, mister.”

“Granny, we need to go get the last batch of apples,” Applejack said.

“You go ahead, dearie. I need a couple of the workers with me to help explain the barn details,” said Granny Smith.

“OK if I join you and help?” I asked.

“Sure, get on board,” Applejack replied.

As I got into the back of the truck, my dad said, “Take your time if you want to. I have a feeling this could take some time to sort it all out.”

“OK, dad.” Applejack, Apple Bloom, and me were in the back of the truck while Big Mac drove all the way to where the last batch was. “So, how many acres of farm land do you have?”

“Oh, over 20 acres,” said Applejack. “And that don’t count the home and barn.”

“That’s a lot of land,” I said in surprise. “How do you keep up with all the trees here?”

“Oh, big brother takes charge of the workers, while granny take care of the bills,” said Apple Bloom.

“We suppose to have one more harvest of apples ready in a couple of weeks before calling it quits for the year,” said Applejack. I noticed that there were still some apples that have yet to ripen on the trees. “You notice the few trees at the side of the house, right?” I nodded. “We keep the ones there for our own home, while producing the rest.”

The truck came to a stop. We got off the truck and started to load up the last bushels of apples onto the back of the truck. Big Mac and Apple Bloom got into the truck, while I waited for Applejack to get in.

“You coming, big sis?” said Apple Bloom.

“If it’s fine with you, I would like to walk back to the house, if Jack is willing to walk with me.”

I had this concerned look on my face. “Sure, I guess,” I replied.

As they went off back to the house, Applejack and me decided to walk back. Something told me that she wanted to talk to me about something in private.

“Hope you don’t mind me doing this. I just needed to get some things off of my chest,” said Applejack.

“Like what?” I asked.

“Well?” She was hesitant to speak. It was like she wanted to say something, but couldn’t say it. I could only think of one think that went through my mind.

“Just to be sure ya being honest. Are you sure that’s the reason you were called to her office?”

“I can tell when someone’s lying to me.”

“Is it about what happened Tuesday after lunch?” I asked.

She let out a sigh and said, “Yes, it is.”

“Look, I know you want to make sure I’m OK, with Sunset and all, but…”

She cut me off and said, “No, it’s me who’s at fault.” I had this puzzled look on my face. “I don’t need to be getting in ya business where it don’t be. I was worried you get caught up with Sunset that you be in trouble. But after what you did with Chrysalis, I know you can handle whatever Sunset throws at ya.”

“You must be that protective of those around you like Rarity is towards you.”

“Yep. I guess it runs in the family. My parents were the same way.”

“You miss them?”

She looked down for a moment, and then said, “I do…a lot.” She looked back up at me and said, “I do my best to make sure my little sis is happy, cause she never had enough time with them like I did.”

“And somehow, it hasn’t been easy, has it?”

“Darn right it hasn’t! There were times when she was bullied because she never had ma and pa, and I couldn’t be there to help. I just…I just…” She fell to her knees and punched one of her fist into the ground. “I just wish none of it ever happen.”

I got on my knees next to her and place my hand on her shoulder. “Not everything can go the way you want it to. Bad things happen, and it becomes a test in moving forward.”

I can see Applejack shed a tear in her eyes. “Then why does it happen to me, to Apple Bloom, to everyone around me?”

“Because…forgive me for my foul language. Because shit happens! Does that mean we just give up and throw our lives away as well? HECK NO!!! I’ve only known you for a week, and already I know a lot of your past problems. Have you even stopped moving forward since that day? No. You’re Applejack, the best, hardest working girl out there. And a great friend to have at my side.”

Applejack wipes the tears from her eyes and said, “You’re right. I am the best out there, and there’s nothing that can stop me.” She reached out and gave me a tight hug. “And I got my friends to help me, friends like you.”

“Thanks,” I said. Applejack released her hug on me and we both got back up. “Come on. The others are going to wonder where we wander off to.” We started to walk back to the house when I decided to ask her something else. “I was wondering if you ever had a…boyfriend. Or had your eyes on one. Or…”

Applejack giggles as I was trying to get the words out. “If you mean if I was ever into someone, then nope. I’ve been living the single life for as long as I remember. Doesn’t mean I’m not looking for someone. I’m guessing you’ve been living the same way, with the fact that you have moved from city to city every year.”

“You could say that.” Both of us laughed. “I just knew that I would be moving to another city the next year, so I never had any childhood crushes during those years.”

“But you did stay in Manehattan for two years, right?”

“I did, but never even focused on that because I felt like I was going to be moving again. I wasn’t sure what would happen, but I now know I would be staying here for my last two years in high school, which could be the best years of my life, before college.”

“Well, Jack. What do you look for in a girl?”

I let out a sigh and said, “I don’t know. I’m not really sure what to look for. What about you, AJ?”

“Well, someone who’s strong, honest, faithful…”

“I guess I could come close to that,” I thought.

“…And knows how to cook,” Applejack finished.

I raised my hands and said, “That’s it. Now I’m done.”

She stopped and looked at me and asked, “What, you can’t cook?”

“All I can cook is just a grilled cheese sandwich. Otherwise, it’s either simple sandwich foods or whatever I can throw in the microwave.”

“Well…” She started to walk towards me, causing me to walk backwards until I was next to one of the trees. She started to give me this gaze as she came up to my face and, in a sexy voice, said, “I might make an expectation, sugercube.”

“Um, AJ? W-what are you d-doing?” I replied nervously. I had no idea what she was doing or how to react to what was happening.

The next thing that happen was that she pecked me on the cheek and said, “GOT YA!!!”

“Really, AJ. What was that all about?”

Applejack laughed and said, “You should see the look on your face. It’s priceless.” I shook my head in disbelief. “You know what your problem is?”

“What?” I replied.

“You don’t know how to approach girls that you are interested, or even react to those who are interested in you.”

“Welcome to my life,” I said as I rolled my eyes.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to struck a nerve.”

“That’s OK. I’m still learning. Not sure if I ever find one, because the few girls that I knew were just friends.”

“And now, most of the friends that you have made this past week are girls, right?” Applejack finished. I nodded. “Give it time. Someone will notice you when the time comes. And by the way, if Rarity acts the way I did moments ago, run like there’s no tomorrow.”

“So that’s how you acted in that manner. I thought that gaze looked familiar.”

“Like the first time we all met you. She was wondering if you were Twilight’s new boyfriend. Boy was she wrong.”

We laughed and decide to finally make our way to the house and see if my dad got an estimate on the repairs.

“About time you two got back here,” my father said.

“We had a long talk,” I replied. “Finished with the barn estimate?”

“Yep. Looks like all it needs is a new roof cover and siding. The framework is in good condition. Just weather wear.”

“He said that it be couple of weeks before he get the supplies and skilled help for the barn,” Granny Smith said.

“I’m guessing you’re going to call Mr. Fix-It and request his farm expert, right?” I said.

“Just like that time in Appleloosa,” he replied.

“You mean your dad won’t be in charge of it?” Applejack added.

“I was a bit younger back then, but when we were in Appleloosa, my dad was working with a farm building expert on one of the jobs there. Dad worked on the foundation, while his partner worked on the barn design. It was his first time learning about barn designs, which is different for home or building designs.”

“I want to make sure I got the right siding for this job,” my father said. “You ready to go, son?”

“Yep.” I looked at Applejack and said, “It was nice spending some time with you.”

“Same here, partner. Just don’t be a stranger around here. You welcome to come by anytime, just call before coming over.”

“Sure thing.” I got in my father’s truck, and we headed on back home.


Once we made it home, we noticed that mother and Chrysalis were already home from Rarity’s place.

“So how did everything go at Applejack’s home?” my mother said.

“Just fine,” My father replied. “Just need to make a couple of calls Monday.”

“Good. Jack, I hope you don’t mind if Chrysalis uses your computer.”

“That’s fine, mom. I told her that she can use it if she needs to.”

I went up to my room to see Chrysalis looking for some designs online. “How did it go at Rarity’s?”

“Well, I’m going to have to work on sewing, but the designs she has are great. I think I might just give the fashion club a try this coming week.”

“That’s good to hear.” I went to lie down on my bed.

“How did it go with Applejack?” Chrysalis asked.

“Well, dad believes that the barn repairs will be simple,” I replied. “As for Applejack herself, she’s really trying her hardest for the family.”

“It’s because of the loss of her parents.” I nodded. “I can understand part of that.”

“What surprised me is that her little sis was bullied back then. And during the times when they were not in the same school at those times.”

She stopped working on the computer and looked at me. “Did you ask who the bully was?”

“I didn’t want to ask at the time. Not in front of the others. Usually, the only people you know would be in the same grade before coming to high school. How much do you want to bet that her bullies would be there, still trying to cause trouble to them?”

“Sounds like you want to create your own challenge with your powers.”

“I’m not sure if I will be needing my powers. But it’s worth a try. And as for trying to win Sunset’s heart and soul; I’m going to need your help with that.” Chrysalis just stared at me with a confused look. “Let’s just say that AJ believes I don’t know how to approach a girl, relationship wise, and she’s right about that.”

“I guess we are going to have our work cut out with what you have to do, Jack.”

“I guess so, Chrysalis. I guess so.”

PreviousChapters Next