• Published 2nd Sep 2015
  • 1,912 Views, 43 Comments

Trial of a Changeling - twilightsparkle3562



In this sequel to "Defender of Equestria," a Changeling General goes on trial in Canterlot for numerous war crimes, including kidnapping Cadence and Twilight, while Shining Armor's mentor and predecessor attempts to make amends with Celestia and Luna

  • ...
11
 43
 1,912

Summit in Canterlot

Chapter 3

"Summit in Canterlot"

In the days that followed the arrest of General Kuwaga, Princesses Celestia and Luna were both determining the amount of punishment that the loyal servant of Queen Chrysalis should endure. It was clear that he was going to be on trial, there was no question about that. But the emotions that Celestia had in her body were at often times, too great to keep in check.

"You must be calm, sister," advised Luna as she and Celestia awaited Cadence and Twilight in a meeting room. "Remember, we are not in Tartarus anymore."

"I am aware of that, Luna," snapped Celestia, turning to Luna with a sudden jerk, rage flowing in her eyes. "But, Kuwaga had done the impossible and kidnapped my niece and faithful student. He must pay dearly."

Luna attempted to shake off the shock that was inflicted upon her and watched as Celestia sat down at the table. The events with Kuwaga were of great shock and both royal sisters knew it. In fact, Celestia had several sleepless nights thinking what could have been if Cadence and Twilight were never rescued.

"I want him to pay as dearly as you do," said Luna. "But, we must try him to the fullest extent of our law. Remember, he did not just harm us. Think of all the towns and villages the changelings had attacked. This is our chance to show an example that invasions upon our subjects will not be tolerated."

Celestia took in a heavy sigh and absorbed what Luna had said. She was right, this was a chance to show the outside world that Equestria would not tolerate invasions like the Changelings. But, it would only be done if it was done properly. The princesses had a reputation to maintain after all.

"You're right, Luna," sighed Celestia, lowering her head in embarrassment. "It's just that I had failed the past few times to keep my subjects and those close to me from harm. The events with Tirek were only a sign of things to come if I don't do this. We need to send a message and we need to do it now."

Just then, the doors of the meeting room opened and in came Cadence and Twilight, whose looks on their faces confirmed to the royal sisters that they had been hearing what was going on.

"We were hearing everything outside," said Twilight, worriedly as they walked over to the table. "And we know what we need to do."

With those words, the princesses all sat at the table and began the meeting. Celestia was still feeling a sense of anger, but promised to herself to keep it in check for this important meeting, especially since Cadence and Twilight were present.

"I think we all know why we are here," began Celestia, after a brief silence. "General Kuwaga just committed the last of his many crimes against Equestria. The time has come to put him on trial and make him pay for his crimes."

"I have to agree," added Cadence. "Shining Armor has had many sleepless nights since Kuwaga was captured. I can't say that I have had the same feeling."

"I think," added Twilight. "We need to do all the things that we couldn't do with Tirek. The changeling invasion is very personal to both me and Cadence. It was because of them that I was told by Shining Armor to forget about being Best Mare and thus, I was kicked out of the wedding."

Celestia lowered her head in disappointment upon hearing those words and remembered that it was the Changelings, not Twilight, which she should focus her anger onto. After all, it was the changelings that had also kidnapped Cadence and imprisoned her in the underground caverns underneath Canterlot.

"We all made a mistake that day, Twilight," she said, sadly. "I failed to protect my subjects and I had to suffer the consequences because of it. I failed you once and I will not fail you again."

It was then that Celestia produced a piece of paper and began to write up a declaration that Kuwaga would be tried in Canterlot and that all who wished to testify against him would be given the opportunity.

"This is a declaration that General Kuwaga will be tried according to Equestria law," explained Celestia. "All four of us will be presiding over it."

Twilight and Cadence both gave each other a worried look on their faces as they should also be able to testify as well. After all, they were both captured and their testimony would also be valuable in settling for a conviction.

"Wait a minute, Celestia," interjected Twilight, raising a hoof. "Cadence and I should also testify as well. We need to let Equestria know of what Kuwaga did to us as well."

Celestia wanted to voice her objections, but she realized if she refused to do so, then Celestia would only be like the protective mother that she had been showing. Cadence and Twilight were not like daughters, they were young mares who had accomplished so much to get to where they were at that moment.

"It's not the decision that I would have made," sighed Celestia. "But, you can do what you wish. I feel that you need to say what you need to say. It may be the only way that we can prove Kuwaga did what he did. He has so many crimes that I scarcely know where to begin. "

"I agree with Twilight and Cadence," said Luna. "They need to speak their peace, along with those affected by the changelings, especially Shining Armor."

Then both Twilight and Cadence remembered that there was another pony who could also testify, however both Celestia and Luna would voice their objections if they said his name.

"What about Lock Down?" suggested Cadence, causing Luna and Celestia to give the same look that Twilight and Cadence had given each other just a few moments earlier.

"That is not possible," retorted Luna, rising to her feet. "My sister and I refuse to allow him to return to testify."

"It may be the only way," cried Cadence, also rising to her feet. "I know you don't like him, but it may be the only way to help secure a conviction. Give him a chance if you know what is good for you."

Both Celestia and Luna at that moment decided that needed time to think about this and so, they got up and left to think about whether or not to allow their ex-captain of the guard turned bounty hunter turn up to testify against Kuwaga.