• Published 2nd Sep 2015
  • 15,308 Views, 2,073 Comments

Ponies and Dragons (Just Have Fun) - Alex Warlorn



A peek at various times of the Mane Six, Spike, and friends, all play Dungeons and Dragons/Ogres and Oubliettes, Paranoia, Call of Ponythulu, Toon, an adaption of themselves, and just about every other role playing game under Celestia's sun.

  • ...
27
 2,073
 15,308

PreviousChapters Next
Session 101

Session 101.0 Kendell2


The City of Maretropolis was in turmoil.

"Fear me, City of Maretropolis! I'm Lord Death! Here to bring death and destruction to all!" announced the edgy, super evil looking villain with a massive death ray.

"Not so fast vile villain!"

"What?" the villain asked before looking as a blue costumed hero landed on a nearby skyscrapper, grey fur visible around the muzzle but impossible to mistake jaw and blue antenna on her head making her identity clear. "Who dares?!"

"I'm the Tick, mister! And I'm here to pound two hoofed justice into your heart!" she called with earnest, over the top heroism with an infectious grin.

"SHAZAM!"

Lord Death blinked, looking down as a lightning bolt rained down from the sky and a muscular purple dragon wearing a red suit with a white cape, an iconic lightning bolt on his chest.

"There will be no death and destruction today villain!" Captain Marevel announced as he landed next to Tick.

"While we won't be the same peanut butter and jelly sandwich of justice as me and my normal sidekick, we should make a great team!" the blue suited hero announced.

"How about peanut butter an honey instead?" Marevel asked.

"Righteous!"

"You pathetic, lighthearted heroes are no match for the darkness and evil I represent!" Lord Death announced, shooting his death ray at the two.

"SPOON!" yelled Tick, leaping in the way and emerging unharmed from the massive explosion.

The supervillain took a step back in disbelief. "Impossible!"

"Nothing is impossible when you have hearts full of justice!" Tick replied, never losing her over jovial heroism.

"Let's show him what else justice can do!" Captain Marevel announced.

"...Thanks for playing with me Spike, Diamond Tiara's a lot nicer now, but she doesn't get into this as much as I'd like..." Silver Spoon said quietly.

"Hey, I grew up with Shining Armor and Twilight, I'm as big of a comic book buff as they get. Thanks for commissioning this enchanted comic..." Spike replied with a smile. "Now let's kick this guy's dark and gritty flank!"

"SPOON!" Tick announced as she superjumped at the villain and Marevel flew along beside her.

OOC: Happy Birthday Alex!

Session 101.1 Mtangalion Ardashir


(Some parts of this were written by Ardashir in story comments. Run this by him too before posting!)


“Stupid date,” muttered Garble, pacing the halls of the Friendship Castle like some pathetic loser, when he should have been sound asleep atop his hoard of gems and gold. “Stupid Ember! Ugh, it’s bad enough that she’s Dragon Lord and I’m not. Why’d she have to train her greed and get bigger and stronger than me too!?”

The groove that his clawed feet had worn in the crystal floor was leading him past the computer room, so the young dragon wandered inside, hoping for a distraction. “If I mess up the date, she’ll probably pound me.” He shuddered. “But if I refuse to go on the date, she’ll pound me for sure! Huh, what’s this?”

Someone had left a shiny new game box next to his favorite computer. Garble picked up the box, tore off the perfumed pink ribbon, and furrowed his brow at the attached card. “The latest popular dating simulator from Neighpon, from ‘a friend.’” His thick eyebrows shot up. “Ponies are so lame, they have to go on pretend dates?” He scratched his headfin, considering. “Well, I obviously don’t need any help! … but maybe it’ll be good for a laugh.”

After fifteen minutes of subtitled Neighponese exposition, Garble was sound asleep, snoring and drooling on the keyboard.



Ember sat across a cafe table from Garble, awkwardly large and crammed into a Neighponese schoolfilly’s uniform. “So, um… Garble?” She blushed furiously. “Do you… like me?”

Garble blinked at the dialog options that literally popped up in front of him. “Hmm, nope… Nah… Aha!” He tapped a floating line of text with a claw. “I don’t like you at all… but I took you on a date anyway because you’re powerful, and also kinda hot!”

Ember gasped. “You… you think I’m hot?” She gave Garble a smile that sent a shiver down his spine, but before he could back away, Ember grasped his paw. Even with dragon strength, Garble couldn’t budge her claws one bit!

“You think I’m hot,” she repeated, in a deep growling purr. “No male’s had the guts to say anything like that to me since I got the Scepter, but you…” Ember licked her fangs, fabric shredding apart as she grew right out of the school uniform. “You’re so dumb, you just came out and said it.” She loomed larger and larger, overshadowing the panicking Garble. “Ember WANT!”



Princess Twilight, Starlight Glimmer, and Spike watched the whole thing from the balcony of Twilight’s castle, equal parts fascinated and appalled.

“So,” said Starlight, as Ember passionately crushed more of central Ponyville. “Lust growth is a thing. And it affects dragonesses even more severely than greed growth. Huh, who knew?”

“AHHHH!” wailed Garble, in the distance. “Somedragon, anydragon, save me!”

“Whoa.” Spike took a clawful of gem popcorn from a paper bag, munching and crunching. “Never in my life have I been so happy to realize I'm only romantically interested in ponies."

Twilight watched with maniacal glee, taking notes in three floating notebooks at once. "So many fascinating secrets of dragon biology to discover! So many research papers!"

Starlight winced, ears folding. "So many broken bones on Garble..."



Former Dragon Lord Torch waggled a claw, lecturing Garble through the open third-story window of his hospital room. “And that’s why smart males don’t try to breed before they’re at least eighty years old.”

Garble, wrapped in more bandages than a mummy, smirked across the room at Ember. She was curled up on three pony beds pushed together, exhausted but pleased with herself, and brooding over a dozen eggs. Garble struggled to make a claws-up gesture. “Worth it! Heh heh… OW!”



Garble woke with a jolt, gasping and clutching his chest. “Gah! Oh, thank Tiamat! It was just a dream!” He glared at the dating simulator.

Garble stomped back towards his bedroom, leaving the game box crushed into a trash can.

Session 101.2 Ardashir


Garble was getting ready for his date with Ember.

Princess Twilight and Starlight Glimmer were ensconced with the returned CMC and -- to everyone's surprise -- Scorpan, over something they'd found in Tartarus when they went looking for Cozy Glow.

So when Garble's three friends demanded someone show them about 'this puny pony play-acting game', only one being was around to help.

"We're supposed ta trust THIS guy?" Fizzle snorted towards the head of the table. Discord made himself comfortable in the chair he'd summoned, got a drink from the faucet labeled 'chocolate milk', and settled under the sign reading "I am the Oubliette Overseer -- disobey me at your peril!' "I remember when he broke out a coupla years ago. He made the Dragonlands freeze over and every time we tried ta warm it back up we sprayed snow from our mouths!" All three of the young dragons shuddered at the memory.

"It's me or nopony, my three fine young hooligans," Discord reached into himself, it looked like, and drew out metal figures, a pile of books, and several odd-looking dice. With a final flourish he pulled forth a massive die that seemed to have more sides than could be counted. Discord patted it lovingly. "Ah, my dear Infinity Die; it's been so long since I used you!"

"So whatta we do with this junk?" Fume sneered as he cautiously poked at the books. The art on the cover was the typical RPG book cover art. Fume licked his fangs hungrily at the sight of a scantily clad pony princess arrayed in precious stones and little else. As he did she shrieked. He jumped with a yell as her hoof shot out from the cover to slap him across his scaly muzzle. He snarled, and redoubled it when Clump and Fizzle showed their usual compassion by laughing at him. "Hey, these things are gonna attack us!"

"A-hem!" Discord slapped Fume's claws away from the book. "Only if you can't behave yourselves!" As Fume returned to his seat, Discord said, "This game is about playing characters other then yourselves..."

"We know about that dumb pony stuff," Clump sneered. "Garble told us before he became a wimp. Whatta we do in it?"

"Oh, mostly you invade other creatures' homes and mug them for their gems and gold." Discord waved a claw and an image of a gang of familiar-looking dragons appeared on the table, robbing a burning pony village as the inhabitants ran in terror. The three suddenly looked interested. "So for you, this is pretty much like your normal lives. You roll up your characters with these dice -- hey!"

"This is the biggest one," Clump crowed as he snatched up the Infinity Die, "so it's gotta be the best!" He all but hurled it across the table, its infinite multi-dimensional sides rolling. Discord froze as it came to a stop and --

Three dragons and one draconequus stared at the indescribable symbol it displayed.

"Okay," Discord muttered. "Now what's going to happen?"

Miles away in the Sun Palace in Canterlot, a mighty explosion sounded from within Princess Luna's bedchamber! Palace staff scattered in a panic as smoke poured from the room.

"Lu-Lu!" Celestia appeared inside the chamber in a flash of sunlight. She peered around, her eyes trying to focus against the room's darkness, not aided in the least by the blue and purple velvet curtains and tapestries set with imagery of night and darkness -- or, of course, the smoke. A silvery pale moon was repeated again and again on them. Celestia went deeper into the room, approaching the huge bed. "Luna, please speak to me! Are you alright?"

"Yes." Celestia's fear only diminished when she heard Luna's voice, roughened with anger. "I am here, sister." A snort followed as its owner walked out of the darkness. Celestia blinked to see Luna, minus her nebular mane and tail. Her naked dock lashed against her rump and a luridly glowing event horizon hovered over her head. The anger in her eyes might have been fearsome if not for the fact that she looked ridiculous without her mane.

"Oh, dear, Lu-Lu, I thought none of your mane's stars were due to go supernova for centuries!" Celestia lowered her head to hide her smile. It didn't work. She heard Luna's hoof-stomp.

"Sister, remain here. I have but one task this day," her horn glowed and a massive battle-axe suitable for slaying full-grown dragons floated from the wall to her. "And that is teaching Discord to ne'er dare touch a mare's crowning glory!"

Session 101.3 Ardashir


While fantasy was the usual favorite tabletop RPG genre for the faculty and students at the Friendship School, sometimes others were tried for a change of pace. This didn't always go well.

"Okay," Spike said with a near groan as he sat behind the 'Cowboys & Cattlemen' gamemaster screen. "So you robbed the express wagon. Again. And got away to your secret hideout, not that the posse follows very closely givn that you shot most everypony in the last one..."

"Just par for the course when you're a bad hombre like the Bad Apple gang," Pinkie Pie said with an exaggerated drawl that would have left Braeburn wincing. She looked at the map they were using and added in her normal voice, "Huh, I wonder how many ponies are even left in Cattleman City? I mean, we all get in gunfights three times a day."

"Shot up three whole posses that tried ta stop our reign of terror, robbed every bank in town at least twice," Rainbow Dash said, looking proud, "bumped off that Ranger troop, they close the saloons every time we come to town because of all the fights we started..."

"An' we shot that low-down backstabbin' snake Boss Brahma Bull an' his sidekicks." Applejack settled back in her chair with a contented sigh. "Ah enjoyed that more'n Ah should. Given what happened in real life that one time."

Seemingly on cue the rest of the Mane Six gave Twilight a meaningful look. She squirmed in her chair.

"Girls, as an alicorn and a princess, I had to uphold Equestrian law! What kind of an example does it set if I disobey it just because it's inconvenient?" Her friends scowled, and Applejack crossed her forelegs with a 'humph!' Twilight pointed back at the board. "Heh! Anyway, back to the game. How much loot this time, Spike?"

The girls shifted in their seat as Spike grinned evilly.

You get," he looked at his notes and smirked. "Five hundred bits."

He cringed as the roar rose all around the table.

"WHAT!"

"Come on, Spike, yeesh!" Dash snatched up the 'Trail Boss's Guide' and flipped it open. She thrust her hoof at the page. "According to this, express wagons have at least 3,000 bits on them! What gives?"

"What gives is that your gang has robbed everything of any value in the town, repeatedly, so no one with any sense dares to send their wealth there!" Spike held up a sheet of paper with a long list of added rewards on it. "Yeesh, you guys have the biggest rewards on your heads in the whole of Appleloosa. You're literally the only things of value left in the whole territory!"

"Hmm, than maybe," Rarity tapped her chin with one hoof and smiled, "now would be a oood time to try raising that bandit army to take over? Like we discussed? Queen Rarity of Appleloosa, wah-hah!" She clapped her hooves for glee. Applejack, Pinkie, and Fluttershy all leaned in and started talking excitedly with her. Spike just groaned and left the room for more snacks. He turned around and found that a smiling Dash and Twilight had followed him.

"Spike," Twilight leaned in close, her voice a conspiratorial whisper, "Dash and I have an idea."

A few minutes later back at the table:

"What d'ya mean, we wake up an' we're hogtied?" Applejack stomped her hoof. "An' we have a whole new posse o' Rangers ready ta drag us off ta Tartarus?"

"We-ell, not all of you," Spike pointed at a grinning Dash and Twilight. "You four can see the chief Ranger paying the reward money for you to their characters."

Twi and Dash looked utterly unrepentant as Applejack and the others glared at them.

"Now girls, remember, we were playing criminals here," Twilight held up a hoof for attention. "Remember Chrysalis, Sombra, all those villains we read about in history books? Whenever they worked together, they always backstabbed each other."

"An' besides, like Spike said, you guys were the last valuable things in the territory." Dash smiled and shrugged. "What were we supposed ta do, ignore a fortune right under our hooves?"

Session 101.4 Unown3

Shady Daze for the Foal Free Press asked, "So how did you come up with the game play for Burglar Pony?"

The game designer pony said, "It started out as a game called Dark Canterlot, I was inspired by some intense dreams I had where Celestia is an iron fisted tyrant, her faithful student was a psychopath with poor fashion sense, and Shining Armor and the royal guards were dumb thugs, and you played Princess Luna out to expose your sister as a fraud and free the people... But I found game engine we put together didn't handle combat so well, but it did handle stealth well, so I used instead inspiration where I snuck a basement for fun and hid from a guard..."

-

"Lulu, did you try to influence popular culture via proxies before you were released from the moon?" Celestia asked.

"... I may or may not have inspired some ponies to make games where you were the villain."

"And you threw a tantrum when they started including YOU as a villain in those games?"

"... Yes."

Session 101.5 Mtangalion


Crystal Emperor stamped his hoof. “Is there no one online who can offer me a decent challenge!?” He paced down a line, then made a sharp turn, pacing back again. “Five hundred bits to the first creature who can strike a blow!”

Outside the PvP Arena, his audience stumbled back from the fence, shaking their heads frantically… all except the pegasus rogue with the rainbow mane. Daring Do gave him a cheeky grin. “Maybe I’d give it a try… If shadowmages weren’t so overpowered!”

“What…” Crystal Emperor recoiled, sputtering with indignant rage. “Shadowmages are NOT overpowered!”

Daring Do thrust a hoof towards him, wings spread. “Dude, only a shadowmage would say that! Shadowmages ARE SO overpowered. Yep, they need a huuuuuuuge nerf!”

“If my class is so superior… then where is your shadowmage, hmmm!?”

“Um, back in the starting area? Because I managed to blast myself more times than I did the training dummy? Yep, they’re so broken, you obviously need some kind of hack to play them right.”

“It’s called skill!” Crystal Emperor would have been frothing at the muzzle, if there was an animation for that. “Shadowmages take skill to play, skill which you obviously lack, troll! Practice as I did, and get better, you… you ignorant, worthless… noob!”

Daring Do grinned even wider. “Wanna see my Young Dragon alt?”

“Grah!!” Crystal Emperor took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Enough, I tire of this…”

But as he turned to stalk away, HE heard the ominous sound of another character in stealth nearby.

The dark unicorn froze, ears swiveling wildly. “Impossible,” he breathed. “I’ve been watching the arena all morning. How?” He blinked. “Has someone else been here this entire time!?”

That annoying pegasus rogue was staring, open-mouthed. Probably struck speechless at the sight of a true Arena Master, taking a battle seriously. Her eyes flicked to one side-

Crystal Emperor whirled about and parried the dark fireball which would have struck him in the back. “Show yourself!” He blocked two more fireballs that flew at him from far too close. “I’ll make you show yourself. Blade whirl!” The next fireball knocked him back and staggered him, as he knew it would, but one of his thrown daggers struck empty air, revealing a figure in a dark cloak trimmed with red.

“There you are,” purred a grinning Crystal Emperor, easily curing his burns with Shadow Mend. “Who are you?”

The only answer was the cloaked figure rushing forward to engage him again.

He parried the strikes without trying to counterattack, buying time to think. “You’re blocking my scan, but you’re clearly a shadowmage… diamond wolf? No… a changeling!” He pointed a dagger defiantly. “I know the fighting style of every top ranked PvPer on this server, and you’re not one of them. Who… are… you?!”

“Forbidden Technique,” rasped the cloaked combatant, speaking at last. “Time Stop!”

Crystal Emperor’s eyes widened. “There’s no way you have that unlocked! Even I don’t-”

Everything froze… except the cloaked figure, who rushed forward with a dark fireball in each hoof. Those froze in place too, the moment he let go of them, freeing him to cast two more, and another two after that… and then a Dark Nova and a Comet of Ruin…



Sci-Twi stared at her computer monitor. World of Horsecraft was frozen in greyscale, with a popup message that read (Someone on the server has cast Time Stop, please wait.) “Surely you can’t be serious.”

Spike the Dog looked up from his similarly frozen touchpad, wagging his tail. “I’m always serious, and don’t call me Shir-”

Sci-Twi threw a pillow at him.



Eight high-level war spells detonated all at once, rocking all of Ponyville while doing no structural damage whatsoever. A dramatic gust of wind dispersed the smoke cloud… and the audience started groaning and shaking their heads. “Oh, come on!” yelled Daring Do. “What does it take to kill that guy?!”

Not only had Crystal Emperor survived with one hit point left, but a message had just popped up. (By witnessing a Forbidden Technique, you have learned it yourself. Time Stop is now unlocked!)

He applied a bandage, then gulped down a health potion… safety first, *then* gloating. “Now, let me properly thank you for that experience!”

Unexpectedly, the cloaked figure dropped his combat stance. “You’ve won this round, but the next time you won’t be so lucky!” He hurled… a smoke bomb? A smoke bomb, of all the things a shadowmage might use?! … and Crystal Emperor lost sight of him.

His jaw went slack. “No… NO!”



Crystalsoft President Sombra spent a good ten seconds grinding his teeth, his face turning more and more beet red. Then he logged out, fingers stabbing at the keys. “THORAX!”

His junior lead developer hurried into the office, nearly tripping over the door jam. “Sir?”

Sombra slammed a fist on his desk. “Find the player I was just in PvP combat with! Find them now!”

Thorax chuckled nervously, trying to defuse the tension a bit. “Right away, sir! I’ll get started on nerfing their class immediately.”

Sombra scowled. “Are you trying to be funny, Thorax? I don’t pay you to be funny! This player was a shadowmage like myself, and besides that, you know good and well that I’d never cheapen my PvP victories that way!”

Sombra leaned back in his office chair, exhaling slowly. “No, I need you to find out if he was cheating. If not, I owe him 500 bits.” A grin spread over his face, one that would have sent Equestrian crystal ponies fleeing in abject terror. “However, if he WAS cheating… he’ll wish I’d only terminated his game account, once Tirek’s law firm is done with him!”



Thorax left at a brisk pace, as if he was going back to his own office, but then he doubled back and headed straight towards the QA cubicles. He barged right in and found Pharynx and Gilda snickering and whispering to each other… with a certain cloaked changeling shadowmage on Pharnyx’s character select screen.

“I knew it!” cried Thorax. “Brother, why do you keep antagonizing him like this? You know how the boss feels about cheating!”

Pharynx rolled his eyes. “Oh, please. Winning is the only thing that matters.” He smirked. “And not getting caught! Besides, how else am I supposed to test the anti-cheat program? My newest cheat program fooled the anti-cheat for two whole minutes, so I’ve got more work to do.”

Gilda stroked her chin, grinning sharply. “I don’t know… Maybe if you worked on your PvP, you could stop sucking and beat me without your cheats.”

Pharynx jumped out of his chair, right in Gilda’s face. “I suck at PvP, huh!? You wanna try me!”

Gilda stood and stretched, looming over the shorter man. “Maybe I do!”

Somehow, even though this was real life and not some kind of anime, battle auras seemed to blaze up behind them, his a red and black nightmare figure with spikes and blades, hers a bronze winged warrior with hammer in hand.

Gabby laughed nervously. “Please, can we not fight? There’s cupcakes in the break room!”

Session 101.6 Mtangalion


“Garble did that? Ouch!” Shining Armor chuckled, knowing how expensive imported Neighponese games could be. “I guess dragons and dating simulators don’t mix.”

Shining had traveled all the way to Ponyville by train, just to find Cadence staying at a hotel, undercover. Only, she’d been too excited to put much thought into it, so she was wearing a flowery hat and shades, and obviously still an Alicorn. “So, are you ready to give up on this ‘mission of romance,’ Cady? The Crystal Empire nobles don’t know what to do without you.”

Cadence grinned disturbingly. “Actually, I have a new plan!” She nuzzled up and kissed her stallion on the cheek. “Now that you’re here…”

Shining froze. “Oh no, I’m not getting mixed up in another one of your love schemes! There’s no way…”



“Hey there!” said a dragon that Garble had never seen before, just when Garble was swallowing a mouthful of Sapphire Crunch cereal.

Garble sputtered and coughed, spitting flames to clear his throat. The Friendship Castle kitchen’s crystal floor got an impressive scorch mark, but that was some pony’s problem, not his. “Oh, great,” muttered Garble. “More dragons? Ponies are gonna think we’re trying to turn Ponyville into Dragonville.” He paused, suddenly thoughtful. “Actually… delicious crystal castle, primo gem mines… Get an elder to dig a nice deep magma tap and it’d be wicked awesome…”

“Um… excuse me?” The new dragon was shorter than Garble, with light gray scales, a pale blue underbelly, and dark blue fins… and he was waving a claw, trying to get Garble’s attention.

Garble snorted. “You’re still here?”

“Yep! My name is Shining… er, Quartz! Just Quartz for short! Princess…” He coughed. “Ahem! Lord Ember sent me to be your coach for that date… thing… you’ve got coming up.” Quartz grinned hopefully, showing way too many fangs to be polite.

Garble squinted closely at him, then snorted and burst out laughing, to Quartz’s dismay. “Some pampered smoothscale is gonna tell me how to get girls? Yeah, right!” He elbowed Quartz, still chortling. “I get it… you don’t really wanna be here, but hey, Dragon Lord’s orders, right? It’s cool. We can hang out and do whatever, and I’ll tell Ember you did a great job.”

“But, I really can help you!” said Quartz, fuming.

Garble chomped down on another spoonful of Sapphire Crunch. “Prove it,” he mumbled with his mouth full.

Quartz took a deep breath. “You’re drawn to her, but you’re super jealous at the same time.” He lifted a claw dramatically, reaching out. “Your instincts tell you to protect her, to impress her with your strength, even though she could crush you without even trying, no matter how hard you train, and yet somehow, she’s still interested in you of all… dragons.”

Garble slowly stopped chewing and gaped at him, while his cereal spoon slipped out of his mouth and plopped back into the bowl. “Dude… Can you write that down? I need my bongos!”

“So, you’ll let me help you with the date?” asked Quartz excitedly.

Garble twitched. “And… the moment’s gone.”

Quartz’s expression crashed. “But…”

“Nope, bored now!” Garble gave him a friendly slap on the back that would have broken a pony’s ribs. “You might know a thing or two about that lovey-dovey junk, but how far can you belch a fireball?”

Quartz twitched his wings awkwardly. “I’m… not sure?”

“You’re kidding, right? You’re not kidding. Ugh, okay!” Garble rose, pumping a fist. “We’re gonna fix that, for a start! Hmm, we just need another dragon or two to make it a real contest...”

“HEY!” shouted Spike from inside the pantry. “Who ate all the Sapphire Crunch?!”

Garble smirked. “I guess he’ll do.”



Later, in Cadence’s hotel room, Spike could hardly contain his excitement. “And then after the fireball-belching contest, we went to that new griffon bar in town... which I’m totally old enough to visit now! … and had drinks that were actually on fire and a freestyle griffon/dragon rap battle where I won second place!” Spike buffed his chest scales. “Hanging out with other dragon guys is actually pretty fun, when I’m not getting mercilessly mocked and bullied!”

Cadence twitched, smiling a bit too brightly. “Oh… kay! We won’t tell Twilight about this if you don’t!”

She looked to Shining Armor, who was still transformed into Quartz the dragon. “Thanks for trying, Shiny, even if things didn’t go like I hoped they would. Ready to be a pony again?” The light gray dragon was staring off into space. “Shiny?”

Somewhere in the back of Shining Armor’s mind, five pairs of eyes swayed, blazing in the darkness and softly whispering...

Ponies are frail
Dragons are strong
Dragons go on and on and on
It feels good to want more and more
Ever stronger than before

Shining blinked. “What? No no, there’s no rush! I feel great!” The pony turned dragon grinned and jogged in place, demonstrating. “There’s no reason why I can’t spend more quality dragon time with Spike while I’m like this, and maybe I can try again with Garble later.”

Session 101.7 Kendell2

"Alright, so the base is all set up..." Rainbow Dash said, the Werecheetah tapping her chin. "We got the rest of the plan ready?"

Blueblood nodded. "Yes," he replied, looking at a spell scroll.

"How do you even know a spell like that?...Oh, right, NPC here to assist us..."

The kitsune gave a flat look. "Yes. That's correct. It's totally not because there are races that this spell makes negotiating with one on one far easier and more productive so Auntie uses it."

"My Weremonkeys are all ready and willing to go!" Pinkie Pie called, swinging down from the rafters.

"Alright, let that big lug find us..." Rainbow Dash smirked.


"Okay, so I've done the calculations based on which of the mountains could actually support a fortress of that size, and-" Twilight started, looking up from her notes as the fortresses' illusions vanished and only one was still standing. She gave a frustrated pout as she threw her notes into the air.

"Ya know it's a trap, right?" asked Applejack.

"Probably, but nothing a little Kirin muscle can't break through," Spike said, cracking his claws as the group took flight towards the base.

"Incoming! Monkey the party cannons!" Pinkie Pie called, putting on a helmet.

A large arsenal of party cannons emerged from the sides of the fortress and began to open fire on the Werekirins, managing to blast a few of them backwards but the rest just kept coming.

"Converge all cannons on Spike! Slow him down!" Rainbow Dash called.

Spike's eyes widened as the cannons all directed at him and fired, forcing him to dodge and evade. They might not be able to really hurt him, but they could slow him down or send him to the ground, which would be bad.

However, the rest of his army simply continued to attack the fortress, finding any way in...but that limited their numbers and Rainbow's Werecheetahs, Pinkie Pie's Weremonkeys, and Blueblood's Kitsunes made for a good team and were able to hold their own despite the situation, and even manage to convert some of their opponents.

"We can't hold out forever!" called Soarin'.

"We don't have to! Where's Twilight?!" asked Rainbow Dash...before Twilight landed on a few of their cannons and began ripping them apart. Being Twilight, she did so as intelligently as possible, avoiding the shots.

"Destroying our cannons!"

"Alright, Spike, I took care of the cannons!" Twilight called...before Rainbow Dash's claw grabbed her and pulled her into the hole the cannon used to be.

"Hey, Twilight, enjoying the game?" Rainbow Dash asked, giving a growl.

"Admittedly not as much as I would be if I'd been allowed to build up my Wereowl Kingdom, but yeah, still having some," Twilight replied.

The two exchanged blows a few times, Twilight being far stronger and more durable, but being completely outsped by Rainbow. She only needed one good hit, but getting that hit was proving difficult. Being Twilight, however, she ducked under a pounce with proper timing and tailwhipped the Werecheetah across the room. "Gotcha!"

Rainbow Dash looked up as Twilight pounced with intent to bite and convert her...only to for the Werekirin to blink as she noticed her smile. "What?"

"Now Pinkie!"

"Huh?!" Twilight asked, looking up as the Weremonkey hanging from the rafters threw a glass orb on her that shattered and doused her in Wereskunk spray. Her face quickly turned green with the sound of a foghorn (provided by Pinkie Pie), leaving her coughing, gagging, and grabbing her nose. "Gah! I thought Fluttershy was neutral?!"

"She is, we traded for them fair and square," Rainbow replied.

Twilight tried to recover, but realized Pinkie hadn't pounced on her and convert her. Why?

She got her answer when Blueblood leapt out of the shadows with a clothespin on his nose and bit her leg.

"You're our new Alpha now, Twilight," the Werekitsune replied as nine tails grew out of Twilight's rear and scales retreated into fur. He put a clothespin on her nose.

Twilight shook herself off. "Wow, that was a surprisingly competent plan...extremely unpleasant, but competent."

"Hey, I am a Wonderbolt..." Rainbow Dash replied with a smirk.

The group jumped as the entire thing shook.

"Ember has always wanted me to raid a castle!" Spike roared, ripping into the fortress and threatening to tear large enough holes for his army to break into and overun them.

"I hope there's more to the plan!" Twilight yelled.

"There is!" Blueblood called, holding the spell up. "I can't cast it myself!"

"Smart idea..."

Spike continued to rip into the base, having grown quite massive due to his desire to win...

= Main Theme - King Kong vs Godzilla =

Until Twilight and Blueblood's magic glowed and Pinkie Pie suddenly erupted out of the fortress equal in height to him directly face to face. "Giant monster fight!" she bellowed, full on tackling him and sending both falling down the hill and Spike being thrown for a loop by Pinkie Pie.

"That's cheating!" Spike yelled.

"Nope! Kitunes have magic powers, so we're playing by the rules!" Pinkie Pie said, dodging his fire breath with a cartwheel. "Now, let's play!"

The two charged, slamming into each other and wrestling. Or rather, Spike was, Pinkie Pie was being Pinkie Pie and countered a fire breath with a giant cream pie to the face.

"Alright! Everypony, you know the plan! I'll go get ready for my part of it!" Rainbow Dash called, the group instantly using the Wereskunk stinkbombs to repeat the strategy used on Twilight on the other Werekirins as they used the passage ways to restrict their numbers and single them out rather than let them be overrun. The Werekirins larger size proved a hindrance in enclosed quarters, allowing their much smaller and more agile foes to outmaneuver them, especially with the Weremonkeys using their strength to compliment the Kitsune's magic and the Cheetah's speed and they were disorientated by the musk.

Spike tailwhipped Pinkie Pie, sending her flying, but she caught herself on a mountain top, somehow swung around it and launched herself back at him with a dropkick.

Spike flew up and laughed. "Ha! Try to get me now!"

"Okay!" Pinkie Pie called, pulling a giant trampoline from nowhere and jumping on it, launching herself right at him, hug tackling him and sending both plummeting to the ground with a thunderous crash. Pinkie quickly tried to bite him, only from Spike to blast her off with his dragon fire. He leapt forwards and tried to bite her...only to find a giant piece of cotton candy shoved into his mouth.

"Ready to just negotiate?" Pinkie Pie asked.

Spike replied by burning the cotton candy to ashes and continuing to attack her. His larger, stronger blows were met by her summoning extending boxing gloves on springs. When Spike finally bit those, she pulled out a bat made from party balloons and clashed with his tail using it.

"Come on! That is part of the game too!" the Weremonkey called, continuing to clash.

The two continued brawling, but eventually Spike began overpowering her and threw her into a mountain. "Alright, time to have two giants on my side!" the Werekirin alpha called, pouncing on her and preparing to bite her...

Only to feel a sharp pain in his ear. His eyes widened as he realized what that meant.

"Tag, you're it!" Rainbow Dash called, climbing out of his ear hole as fur began to overtake him and he shrunk back down to normal size, now a Werecheetah.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"


"Dang it!" Ember shouted, watching from the game room. "...Note to self, when I get to be giant watch my ears."


After the battle was done, Spike grumbled. "I can't believe I lost."

"It's kind of obvious why you did," Twilight replied, the Werekitsune walking over. "You were the strongest group and the most aggressive, but that's just it: it's like when that stupid hacked insert was put on the World of Hoofcraft server. The ENTIRE server teamed up to take on the gigantic threat ruining everycreature's fun. You put a huge target on your back Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and the Kitsunes formed an alliance and covered for one another while you just assimilated everyone. And actually cared about country management and resources."

"...In other words, Fluttershy was right when she told ya off," Applejack, now a Werecheetah, said.

"I don't understand, Spike, you normally aren't so aggressive, and I thought you were being the GM, whyever did you jump into the fray like that?" asked Rarity, now a Werekitsune once again.

Spike's eyes wandered to Blueblood, then back to Rarity. "...Well..."

"...Oh, Spike, it's just a little wish fulfillment is all," Rarity replied. "You know I wanted to be with Blueblood at the Gala if he wasn't such a uncharming jerk."

"Speaking of which, thanks for the help, NPC Blueblood," Rainbow Dash replied, patting him on the back.

"...Actually, no, that's the real Blueblood, Discord teleported him into the game..." Spike admitted.

Rarity's eyes widened as did Rainbow Dash's.

"Oh...um...sorry," Rarity apologized sheepishly.

"I was already aware of how you viewed me...and I must admit, that was rather fun..." Blueblood admitted.

"...You are a pretty smart guy when you're not being a jerk," Rainbow Dash replied.

"Regardless of Blueblood being real or fake, I hope you've learned a lesson from this," Twilight interrupted.

"...Don't ruin everypony's fun because I got jealous?" Spike mentioned, looking a bit guilty.

"And?"

"Don't use GM powers to insert yourself into the game as a blatantly overpowered character class?"

"Yes. I though Shining would've taught you that," the Werekitsune replied.

"I know...really sorry guys," the little Werecheetah replied, before Twilight pulled him into a hug.

"We all get carried away now and again," Twilight replied with a small smile. "...Now, how about we have some fun?"

"I'm game...should we restart the game?" asked Spike.

Twilight looked over to see the rather sizable den and collection of Wereskunks that Fluttershy had amassed...that actually now outnumbered even their combined forces and had more resources than the others combined. "Let's let Fluttershy have some more fun...I think she won anyway."

"...Fluttershy won by only fighting once in self defense...yep, that's Fluttershy for ya," Rainbow Dash said, the group sharing a laugh.

Session 101.8 Mtangalion


Dragon chess was surprisingly similar to standard pony chess, so much so that scholars could argue about which species had invented the game first. The rules were nearly identical, but the dragon version was much more physically demanding.

At this point, Princess Twilight Sparkle would have paused in her cheerful note taking and asked if she’d heard that correctly. It was no joke, though. In a proper Dragon Lands chess set, each piece was a carved stone statue of a legendary dragon hero or a villainous treasure-robbing other creature, weighed with a solid cast iron base.

This was quite convenient for Former Dragon Lord Torch. He could comfortably grasp the pieces and roll them around in his paw as he considered where to place them, and no errant wing flap or volcanic tremor would ever disturb the game board.

It wasn’t so convenient for the Dragon Lord herself. Even though Ember had trained her greed and grown about as large as she could get and still stand upright on two legs, the pieces were still as large as her entire body. She had to dig deep into her strength to lift the pieces, and deeper still to fly while carrying them… she even had to consciously muster extra fire magic for lift, when most dragons never thought about how their flying worked at all. Darn right, she carefully considered each move!

Torch nodded approvingly, watching her struggle. “I hear that young Heathspike enjoyed quite a battle recently… a contest of were-creatures. What did you learn from it, daughter?”

Ember leaned against the rook she’d just placed, panting. “Dragons being dumb and reckless can actually lose?”

Torch waggled a claw mildly. “Brute force, even overwhelming brute force, can lose to an opponent who is clever. It’s a good lesson. We do not reject our greatest strength, like the perverted Dragon Towners, but neither do we let greed rule over us. We must be its master!”

Ember paused, flexing her large and muscular forearms thoughtfully. “I shouldn’t have commanded Garble to date me...”

Torch arched a brow, then chuckled explosively. “He’s still your betrothed, Ember. He should have dated you without needing to be commanded! Hmph!”

Torch grasped a Whelp piece and moved it diagonally, capturing one of Ember’s Peasants. “It’s strange to think now, how far that one has come. From pathetic failure-at-everything, to savior of a generation of whelps. Perhaps he’s finding his own strength, out there in the pony lands…” Torch slammed a fist on the stone. “But there is to be no hugging, not on the first date! Make that clear to him!”

Ember smirked. “And if something crazy and impossible happens, and *I* want to hug *him*?”

Dragons all around the Dragon Lands looked up sharply, wondering if the volcano was erupting, but it was just Torch nearly busting a gut laughing.

Session 101.9 Kendell2


"So..." Spike said, looking as Applejack and Rainbow Dash played the fighting game based off of them. "Has anyone actually played the story mode?"

"Huh...yah know, Ah don't think we have," Applejack replied, pausing for a moment.

"Yeah, we've mainly just been playing against each other," Rainbow Dash continued. "Wonder what it's like."

"Probably just an excuse for a bunch of characters to fight each other like most fighting games, but can't hurt to check it out, right?" Spike asked.

So after the two had finished their match, Rainbow Dash loaded up the story mode and they got started. "Guess we'll take turns."

The story mode began with a panning shot of Chrysalis's castle, reminding Rainbow Dash the game was made before Chrysalis got dethroned. The Changeling Queen was beginning an odd ritual of some kind, a very complex one from the looks of it.

"Soon those pathetic ponies will learn they should have never crossed me, I just need to acquire allies," Chrysalis said, giving a chuckle as she began the ritual.

The screen then cut to Mirror Equestria where that universe's Cadence in a run down warehouse preparing a ritual of her own. "So, Aunties want to be the good guys now. Fine, I'll be happy to fill the void...as soon as I get some allies to retake the Crystal Empire," she hissed with an expression that reminded Rainbow Dash too much of quite a bit of Chrysalis. While she looked physically identical to their Cadence except for being far more Gothic in her preferences, her expressions and mannerisms coming out of Cadence was just freaky. "Isn't that right, honey?"

Her Shining Armor, who could favorably be compared to a beaten dog, cowered as he nodded. "Y-Yes honey..."

Unfortunately, Rainbow Dash knew this was an accurate depiction of the other Shining Armor, given all the mirror counterparts were based off what Celestia knew and what Twilight had returned with from that world. It freaked her out.

"Now, let us begin," both said at once with a split screen as both began their respective rituals.

As the spells glowed and energy emerged from both spell circles, they began to somehow mix despite being in separate worlds altogether.

Finally, as the spells reached their apex, reality shattered just like it had when Mirror Celestia had broken reality. The two recoiled from the explosion and covered their eyes...then blinked as they opened them, finding one another staring back at them.

Within a few moments their expressions went from shock and surprise to death glares.

"YOU!" they both screamed at the same time, preparing to pounce...at which point the option to choose a character came up.

"Okay, so do we play as Chrysalis or freaky mirror Cadence?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"...Honestly, I never thought I'd say it, but Chrysalis is less creepy than mirror Cadence is," Spike said with a shudder.

"Yeah, Ah'm with him," Applejack replied.

"Alright, the Queen of Mean it is," Rainbow Dash replied, selecting Chrysalis.

Given it was the first level, Rainbow Dash naturally had next to no problem with it and one fairly handily, ending with Chrysalis's ultimate victory.

The resulted in it going to a cutscene where Empress Cadenza being sent flying back and crashing to the ground, but quickly getting back to her hooves. The duo jumped at one another and grappled...before blinking.

"Wait, I recognize that hateful look in your eye," Chrysalis muttered, giving a confused look. "That's the hateful look in my eye!"

"Yeah, you're not that stupid love bug," Cadenza muttered. "My name is Empress Mio Odiato Cadenza, and you are?"

"Queen Chrysalis," Chrysalis replied. "Empress, not Princess?"

"And you're not a Duchess either...let me guess, you were trying to summon some allies from another universe?" the alternate Cadence asked.

"Yes, and looks like I might have found one," Chrysalis said, the two sharing a smirk. "Got some heroes you need help getting revenge on?"

"Yes, and I think this is the beginning of a wonderful team up," Cadenza said with a chuckle. "Though just to let you know, in the end I'm inevitably going to betray you."

"Oh, what are the odds! I was inevitably going to betray you...after the heroes are taken care of, of course," the Changeling Queen replied.

The two shared an evil laugh while Mirror Shining trembled in blind terror.

= This Day Aria (Reprise) - MLP Friendship is Magic =

"This Day is going to be perfect,
The kind of day I've dreamed of since I was small.
Every pony we'll soon control,
Every stallion, mare, and foal!
Who says a girl can't really have it all!" the two sang as the picture faded to black with only their respective glowing eyes visible.

"...Well, that was creepy," Spike muttered.

Session 101.10 Unown3

In Dragon Town, not knowing they'd be doing the same thing a thousand years later in a yearly contest to sustain Dragon Town's independence from the Dragon Lands, Mina and Ember played Dragon Ante with stone playing cards.

"I've noticed there aren't major records of Greed Growth in your... ugh, town."

"That's because we store our hordes in these things called banks, and we get these little notes that legally declare our ownership of them."

Ember sincerely did her best to hide her shiver of disgust at how unnatural that sounded.

"What I want to know is,, how do YOU stand having Tiamat in your head all the time." Mina asked.

"Oh she doesn't do it every moment of every day, if that's what you were told. It's just a sense of comfort knowing that you're part of a far greater horde... We are her treasure. What I don't get is how Spike apparently never feels her presence."

"Well," Mina said, "From what Spike's told ME, his mother basically gave him away to spite Sludge for being an irresponsible loser. So I guess Celestia has a claim on him."

"True, but he still responded to the call of the Blood Stone Scepter where none of you were called home," Ember observed.

"We are home, I'm pretty sure you dad knew better than to try and call any of us."

Mina was right. But also Mina did NOT tell the Dragon Lord that Bahamut MIGHT have given Mina's grandfather a artifact with as much his divine blessing as Tiamat's blessing was upon the blood stone scepter.

-

"That's interesting," Twilight said looking at her notes. "Hey Spike, according to this, big brother is technically now a citizen of the Crystal Empire rather than Equestria."

"I thought the Crystal Empire was PART of Equestria!"

"That's... a bit complicated. I think the other kingdoms are worried it's only a matter of time before we replace all of THEIR rulers with rulers who answer only to Celestia... So as a sign of good will, Shining Armor declared he's only a citizen of the Crystal Empire."

Session 101.11 Unown3

"Well Silver Spoon," Twilight Sparkle said. "You're in luck..."

"Did my character find their way out of the Maze the Lady of Pain put my Spelljammer captain in?"

"Oh no," Twilight shook her head. "She took you out herself."

Babs, Diamond Tiara, and Silver Spoon all went, "WHAT?!"

"Using her Dabus to communicate, you learn that she has chosen you for a very dangerous quest."

Diamond Tiara warned, "But the Lady of Pain DOESN'T GIVE OUT QUESTS! EVER! It's against the rules!"

Silver Spoon waved her off, "Come on, who'd be STUPID enough to impersonate the Lady of Pain?"

Diamond Tiara shook her head and looked at the calm smile on Twilight Sparkle's smiling face behind the Oubliette Overseer. "That ISN'T what I mean!"

"What is this quest?" Silver Spoon dared ask. Diamond Tiara felt like she was in an opposite universe!

"A mad pony sits on a throne underneath the infinite spire, his insanity had twisted the multiverse into a perversion of what it once was! The longer he will corrupt reality!"

"Why us?" Babs asked.

"The Dabus explain that the Lady does not explain herself."

"Should've known," Babs said.

Diamond Tiara was worried. Silver Spoon had reeked havoc on the Princess' campaign setting for years now... Diamond Tiara knew the fine art of revenge, and the dish was best served cold.

The mysterious dungeon underneath the spire was even more freaky. The rules said that no magic, no special abilities, NOTHING could work at the base of the spire, no being could even harm another! Yet... The portal that had taken them here... magic and everything was functioning normally. Then again, it's not like there was any official lore for what lay underneath the spire anyway.

Diamond Tiara also noticed all the monsters were more recent addition creatures that Silver Spoon had disliked the modification of, or addition to the game. More bad signs.

After fighting two a small squad of demons, the trio had come to the final chamber. Sitting on a simple shaped but infinitely complex patterned throne, was a stallion, looking starved, twitching, his flank glued to the seat, and looking quiet insane.

"HEHEHEHH! More of my fig-fig-figment! Figs like a fig tree! I pluck you like fruit! Plucking you like a guitar fruit!"

It was another kind of disturbing how easy it was for Princess Twilight to imitate insanity.

And they fought, the mad stallion summoning random monsters of random levels in random spots in the spherical chambers. Their loyal cohorts, henchmen, and followers falling one by one against the horde. Then the mad stallion used a breath weapon... of 'filth'.

"If I get hit by that, I'm taking a dozen baths in game and real life!" Diamond Tiara gagged.

But thankfully... they did... and with Silver Spoon's cutlass, her wildspace-pirate captain/planes-walker beheaded the nameless mad stallion,, his body shriveling up.

And the chamber shook, no, the entire multiverse began shaking,, and then cracks began to appear in reality.

"The throne! The throne is empty!" They heard mournful cries.

Twilight Sparkle continued to smile. Everything going according to plan.

"Fine!" Diamond Tiara said. "My character-"

And right on cue-

"No! My character sits on the throne, she's closest!"

And Twilight Sparkle them turned the OO screen over to Silver Spoon.

"And there we go."

"... What... what... WHAT?!"

"You clearly had a very concise idea of what kind of world you wanted to play in Silver Spoon and you clearly had thought a lot about it... I thought it was time to let you take the reign now."

Diamond Tiara slammed her hooves on the table while Silver Spoon and Babs were bewildered.

"I know what this is all REALLY about! If you become Princess of everything, then you don't want OO-ing for us anymore to cut into your precious time! So you just saddled your responsibilities on somepony else!"

Somewhere, Princess Celestia and Luna sneezed.

"But... but... I wouldn't even know where to begin!" Silver Spoon stammered.

"Oh you'll do fine. Don't worry so much. You're just overreacting. All your doubts and worried are just you having cold hooves. All your experiences have made you perfectly suitable for a job you weren't working towards or actually preparing for in the least!"

The twitching grin on Princess Twilight Sparkle's face made Diamond Tiara nervous.

Author's Note:

Session 101.0 Kendell2 (Happy Birthday Alex!)
Session 101.1 Mtangalion Ardashir
Session 101.2 Ardashir
Session 101.3 Ardashir
Session 101.4 Unown3
Session 101.5 Mtangalion
Session 101.6 Mtangalion
Session 101.7 Kendell2
Session 101.8 Mtangalion
Session 101.9 Kendell2
Session 101.10 Unown3
Session 101.11 Unown3


Trope Page: (PLEASE update already!)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/PoniesAndDragons



This is a group-story/addventure/chain-story/round robin, fanfic 'story' of the Mane Six Plus Spike playing Dungeons and Dragons/Oubliettes and Ogres, with occasional guest players (like Trixie or Gilda), with Spike and Twilight rotating as Dungeon Master. It's intended to be an IN-CHARACTER comedy.

Each post should be more self contained, if say (in game) Twilight is fire balled by a Mimic in one post in a desert pyramid, the next post can have them sailing a ship encountering seaponies siren expies, each one containing a short joke, or an extension of a previous scene if that's what the poster wants. Time skips, flash backs, the ponies rotating different characters and campaigns, are all allowed (and ENCOURAGED) as long as the ponies stay in character (such as Pinkie Pie NOT fireballing a cabbage sales stallion and saying she thought he was a demon, thank you very much).

P.S. Addendum. No adding entire new fanon countries and/or fanon species.

Pinkie Pie, "And pretty please do not take anything personally! It's just a game!"

Rainbow Dash, "What did you say!?
What's you post in the comments, it's then copy and pasted into the fic above, have fun.
IMPORTANT: WHEN MAKING A SUBMISSION POST IT AS A NEW COMMENT!




Also remember, this is not the pony pov verse, has never been the pony pov verse, will never be the pony pov verse, so please avoid using pony pov verse cosmology and characters please.


Basic grammar:
-Periods go at the end of sentences. (.)
-People and place's names are capitalized.
-Questions end in Questions Marks. (?)
-The word 'I' is capitalized.
-"When characters start or stop talking, use quotations."
-'There' is a place, 'their' is someone's property or trait, 'they're' is short for 'they are.'


Art by by XeviousGreenII, used with permission. https://www.deviantart.com/xeviousgreenii/art/Cover-for-a-Non-existent-Video-Game-804404846


MLP FIM copyright Hasbro.

PreviousChapters Next