• Published 17th Nov 2011
  • 6,600 Views, 234 Comments

Pony Shorts - Miyajima



A collection of short stories about our favourite pastel-coloured Equines.

  • ...
2
 234
 6,600

Zen

Pinkie Pie spat out the handle of the rake and sat back for a moment to admire her hoof-iwork.

While you could take Pinkie out of the rock farm, you could never truly take the rock farm out of Pinkie, and she’d adapted the space accordingly. The Cakes weren’t particularly keen gardeners, and so let Pinkie pretty much have free reign with Sugarcube Corner’s garden. What was once unkempt lawn was now covered in small, white pebbles, surrounding fifteen carefully placed stones, small shrubs and plants, and raked into patterns reminiscent of the sea, with loving care and much attention.

The result was a little oasis of tranquillity in the heart of Ponyville. Pinkie took time to tend to her garden every week. Not only did it form a hobby, it also provided gifts for her family, in the form of exquisitely grown gemstones from the specially arranged rocks. Occasionally, she even invited guests.

“Wow. You did all this yourself?” Twilight asked, looking at the garden with a mix of surprise and awe.

“Yup! Got the idea a couple of years back when my dad sent me a copy of ‘Rock Farms in Eastern Equestria’ for my birthday!” Pinkie beamed.

“You know, I’ve never really looked into rock farming. I guess they do it differently all over Equestria, huh?”

“Oh yeah! In the east, they think that all the care you give the rocks helps them grow! They made a whole philosophy about it! The layout and design is meant to reflect your own inner pony!”

Twilight nodded, looking around. “… Is there anything special about the arrangement…?”

“Of course, silly, that’s the whole point!” Pinkie grinned, hopping with barely contained glee. “It’s laid out so that, no matter where you are, you can only ever see fourteen rocks, but really there’s fifteen! Go on, count ‘em!”

“One… Two…” Twilight continued, under her breath, then frowned. She counted again. And again.

“… Pinkie, I can count sixteen.”

“Yeah, I don’t think I’ve quite got the hang of it yet.”