• Published 23rd Dec 2015
  • 10,419 Views, 486 Comments

A Flash of Regret - MythrilMoth



Flash Sentry wakes up in bed next to Sonata Dusk, and can't remember how they ended up that way.

  • ...
45
 486
 10,419

A Flash of Resolution

Some time later...

Sonata Dusk breezed through the front door of the Sentry household, carrying several large plastic bags. "I'm home!" she called. "I brought tacos!"

"Again?" Flash said as he wandered in, studying his phone. "Don't you ever get tired of—"

"Just kidding," Sonata said with a giggle. "I got takeout from that Cat Cafe place that just opened up! You know, the one with that pretty Chineighse waitress with the huge titties you like?" She laughed at Flash's blush and strangled sound as she headed for the kitchen, where she began unpacking boxes of Chineighse takeout.

Vance and River wandered in from elsewhere in the house. "Thanks for picking up dinner, Sonata," River said. "I had a rough day, I'm too tired to cook."

"Oh, it's no problem," Sonata said. She stretched and grimaced, rubbing her back. "Though I think I might have to change my shift schedule. I'm really tired tonight."

"Rough shift?" Flash asked.

"No worse than usual," Sonata said with a shrug and a wince. "Just...tired. Achy. Kinda feel swollen." She finished setting out cartons, then sat down with a weary sigh.

River frowned as she filled glasses with ice and glanced over at Sonata. "You don't look so good," she said. "Maybe you should go to bed early tonight, have a lie-in tomorrow."

"Yeah, might be a good idea," Sonata agreed.

It was a common scene ever since Sonata had moved in. What was originally going to be a couple of nights had become a prolonged arrangement: Sonata had gotten a job at Los Tacos Hermanos, but wasn't earning enough to rent her own place and had no references, so Flash's parents had agreed to "rent" her the guest bedroom indefinitely. In turn, she'd become part of the household, helping with chores and livening up family meals and outings. Adagio and Aria had, as Sunset predicted, skipped town.

As for Flash, his "relationship" with Sonata was more good friends or cousins; they enjoyed spending time together and doing stuff together, but they'd quickly discovered there was no spark between them. Sonata had decided to make it her life's mission to find Flash a perfect girlfriend—but to his consternation, that "life's mission" turned out to mean "tease Flash mercilessly about any girl whose tits she caught him checking out".

As she broke open a steamed pork bun, Sonata looked around the table. "You know, I just wanna thank you guys," she said sincerely. "I mean it. You guys are great. I'm really lucky I ran into Flash that night."

"Well, that certainly was one of the craziest weekends we've ever had," Vance said, "but now that we've gotten to know you, we're happy to have you staying with us for as long as you need."

"Thanks," Sonata said warmly, smiling broadly.

After dinner, River insisted Sonata turn in early. Sonata headed to the bathroom to take care of her nightly ablutions. As she was brushing her teeth, a wave of dizziness washed over her. Once she finished brushing, she frowned at her reflection. Biting her lip, she dug around under her makeup bag for something she'd tucked away out of sight.

Fifteen minutes later, as Flash was heading to his room to finish up some homework, he noticed Sonata sitting on her bed, staring blankly at her feet. He knocked on the open door and leaned in. "Hey, you okay?" he asked.

Sonata looked up at her, then looked away sheepishly. "Umm..." She played with her hair. "Y-yeah, I..." She shook her head. "I'll tell you later. You've got that nasty history test to study for. Don't worry about me."

Flash frowned. "You sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure." She smiled brightly. As Flash left, though, the smile fell. Sonata wrung the hem of her shirt, then glanced at her phone. Hesitantly, she reached for it. She tapped Sunset's contact, took a deep breath, then held it up to her ear.

"H-hey, Sunset? I...umm..."

Comments ( 45 )

This was a fun story. I admit I am a little disappointed Flash and Twilight aren’t together since Flashlight is my favorite but it was still fun. Does that cliffhanger imply Sonata is pregnant or something? Sunset did tell Flash (while she was half asleep) in the first chapter to pray he didn’t make Sonata pregnant.

9261932

That's my guess. The chances of it being anything else are slim, to none.

Sure is an interesting direction for the plot to go!

Eagerly / Patiently waiting for sequel!

…..oh god why end it there?......is....is sonata pregnant ?

A single chapter to one of my stories equates to all these chapters combined....

Maybe I do put too much into my own writing....

My goodness, not only did they make it a chain, they took it international!

References aside, that's one heck of a note to end on. This story may be marked complete, but it looks like Flash's real troubles are just beginning...

Oh boy...

Papa Flash!!!

Am I the only one who wants Aunt Sunset and Aunt Twilight?

And now I want a sequel.

Well this story might have end, but theirs is only starting.

Well, I´m a bit disappointed they didn´t end together (God knows Flash deserved a bit of good karma at least). Still, at least they resolved the situation in a unusually mature way.

MUST! HAVE! BABY SEQUEL!!!!!!!

Well, this was a bittersweet way to end things. Sonata's life has definitely improved, sans the estanging of her sisters and only family, but she now has a new one, and while things didn't work out with Flash (seriously, the guy can't catch a break), she has a friend in him. :rainbowkiss:

Oh, and babies. :pinkiesmile:

:twilightoops:

Sequel! Sequel! Sequel! Sequel!

oh she is definitely pregnant

Begin the wait for the grand sequel

*scans comments, notices something*

Am I seriously the only person so far who caught the reference to Ranma 1/2? Seriously, one of my favorite series to look at fan works for.

9261932
Its obvious she's pregnant.

9262063
Don’t worry, I stopped. I do miss my horse lamp, though.

9262737
I spoted it but it was drowned by my deception that Flash and Sonata did not end toguether (yet) or by the huge 'WANT' to know what happen next!

... :rainbowhuh: ... :rainbowderp: ... :facehoof:

Is she really, or did I miss something? I read the previous chapter again, but I can't tell. I'll have to read this whole story again, but that's not really a bad thing. Great job! :yay:

D48

...Honestly, this would have been a great ending without the pregnancy, but as is it really just feels like sequel bait the story really didn't need and would have been much better off without.

Quick someone get the pregnancy test meme with sonata and flash

9262737
What was it only on episode ten though so if there is spoilers you can just say spoilers

9262873
Never eat imitation Asian food...it always ends poorly. (Good Job if you miraculously manage to find a genuine restraunt that cooks the dishes like they did back home.)

9262464
Sonata is....PREGANANANT?! :pinkiegasp:
(Couldn't resist :trollestia:)

9262737
Nope I caught the reference too

"No worse than usual," Sonata said with a shrug and a wince. "Just...tired. Achy. Kinda feel swollen." She finished setting out cartons, then sat down with a weary sigh.

Why do I have bad feeling about this?

Sonata looked up at her, then looked away sheepishly. "Umm..." She played with her hair. "Y-yeah, I..." She shook her head. "I'll tell you later. You've got that nasty history test to study for. Don't worry about me."

I think I know where this is going.

9263349
when imitation asian food becomes widespread enough it can become its thing , here in Peru a good portion of typical dishes started as fascimiles of chinese cuisine

i am conflicted by this ending , it did not ruin the story for me , but the sequel bait actually made me wish there isnt one

Just when he thought he was out, Sonata pulls Flash back in!

Yeah, very cool ending to the story. I want a sequel where we flash forward about 10-15 years and little Dusk Sentry throws a temper tantrum when she learns her true heritage. After much haranguing, she's allowed to cross the portal, where she immediately turns into a -- whatever. Blah-blah-blah, she and a preteen-to-teen Flurry Heart become besties and almost destroy Equestria, and Bob's your uncle.

9263468
HOW DO I KNOW IF PREGERNET?! :rainbowhuh:

Whelp, called it here folks and I’m breaking in the shelter now!

"I got takeout from that Cat Cafe place that just opened up! You know, the one with that pretty Chineighse waitress with the huge titties you like?"

Does this mean Discord was responsible for the creation of Jusenkyo in the EQG universe?

This story was great

Is there going to be be a sequel?

Aaannnd she's pregnant. The one consequence she never imagined or was ever prepared for: That, suddenly, this isn't going to be just about herself anymore.

Cheighnese... okay, that's one way to incorporate China into Equestriaverse. Personally, I went with "Chang Ling" in my own headcanon.

9275595
The funny thing is, most of the Chinese characters from Ranma 1/2 already have names that would fit the MLP universe. Shampoo, Mousse, Herb, Saffron etc.

Will there be a sequel to this story?

9776711
Okay, I completely understand. I’m really sorry about that. That’s really sad.

9776714
Nothing's stopping you from making your own thou

"Just kidding," Sonata said with a giggle. "I got takeout from that Cat Cafe place that just opened up! You know, the one with that pretty Chineighse waitress with the huge titties you like?" She laughed at Flash's blush and strangled sound as she headed for the kitchen, where she began unpacking boxes of Chineighse takeout.

She just had to mention tits, didn't she. :facehoof:

It was a common scene ever since Sonata had moved in. What was originally going to be a couple of nights had become a prolonged arrangement: Sonata had gotten a job at Los Tacos Hermanos, but wasn't earning enough to rent her own place and had no references, so Flash's parents had agreed to "rent" her the guest bedroom indefinitely. In turn, she'd become part of the household, helping with chores and livening up family meals and outings. Adagio and Aria had, as Sunset predicted, skipped town.

Looks like things worked out in the end, :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment