• Published 30th Aug 2015
  • 409 Views, 0 Comments

Octavia's Visit - Acoustic Pulse

  • ...
2
 0
 409

Heading Home

Author's Note:

I finally got around to finishing this story. Hope you enjoyed this final chapter.

The trek back to downtown was a relatively short trot, only taking a few minutes.

"Well, that was a fun little visit," Octavia smiled.

"Yes, I agree," Rarity added.

"Hanging with AJ's family was pretty cool," Vinyl concurred.

Acoustic smiled and nodded, but remained silent. Octavia raised an eyebrow at this.

"Is there something you're not telling us, AP?" she asked.

Acoustic shook his head, "No, why?"

"Just wondering. You seem awfully quiet," she explained.

"Oh, well, I'm okay. I'm just a little embarrassed about my meltdown earlier," Acoustic retorted.

"Don't be. We're glad you got it off your chest," Vinyl said.

"So am I. That had been a nightmare that's bothered me for a long time," Acoustic smiled again.

"So what was it you spoke to Applejack about, dear?" Rarity heard bits and pieces, but not the entire thing.

"She asked me to be honest with her because she could tell I wasn't being very open about my problems. After the war, I just kind of closed myself into this almost unbreakable shell," Acoustic began.

"So the meltdown, that was you opening up about your problems, right?" Vinyl asked.

"Yes, I told her about this nightmare I had, it really did a number on my already dwindling psyche," Acoustic replied.

"Would you mind explaining it again?" Octavia asked, her curiosity getting the best of her.

"I don't want to, but I will, since I know you're trying to help me," Acoustic nodded.

"I'm sorry if I seem so intrusive. It's just that we haven't seen each other in ages and this is my attempt at making up for being gone so long," Octavia confessed.

"I respect that. You've always been a great friend," he smiled.

"Now please explain the dream," Rarity cut in, the curiosity getting to her as well.

"Alright, relax. Now the dream starts, I'm in Canterlot. It's under attack by Queen Chrysalis. Everything's burning and in shambles. I take off down a street to evacuate survivors. There's a house still standing, but it's on fire. A mare is outside screaming and crying. I ask her what's wrong and she points to the house. It was her home. I run inside, looking for other survivors, and there's a dead colt, her son was killed. The nightmare haunts me to this day, every time I close my eyes, the cold, lifeless eyes of that colt stare back at me," Acoustic had begun trembling, his voice close to breaking.

"My Celestia, that's terrible," Rarity gasped, staring down at her hooves now.

Octavia was at loss for words. There was a moment of silence before Vinyl speaks up.

"That's rough...I can't imagine how traumatizing that must be," she said sympathetically.

Acoustic nodded, "It's not easy."

"Another question, when I saw you today, you seemed like you were going somewhere. Where exactly?" Octavia asked.

Acoustic's pupils dilated, and he had begun to panic, "OH, NO, I COMPLETELY FORGOT! I was supposed to go to Baltimare. I had to meet a friend there, he owns a restaurant. He asked me to perform there, and I completely forgot. This is awful... he's going to be so disappointed."

"I thought you didn't perform for money," Vinyl raised an eyebrow.

"That's the thing. I offered to perform for free. Although if ponies wanted to donate bits, I'd gladly accept it," Acoustic clarified.

"Oh, goodness, you've gotten yourself into quite a fix," Rarity added.

"I have to leave now. I'll perform at the late night show, I guess. I'll explain everything when I get there. It was nice spending time with everypony. Hope to do it again soon," Acoustic spread his wings and flew off to the North as fast as he could.

Octavia, Vinyl, and Rarity waved goodbye as he disappeared over the horizon.

"Well, now it's Mare's Night Out, I suppose," Rarity chuckled.

"Actually, I have to work on new music too. I was almost done with the mixing for my beat tape when AP and Octy visited this morning," Vinyl replied, not wanting to seem rude.

"Oh, that's quite alright. Best of luck," Rarity smiled.

"Thanks, Rarity," Vinyl smiled and galloped back towards her studio.

"I suppose it's just us now," Rarity turned to Octavia.

Octavia nodded, "It would appear so."

"What shall we do?" Rarity pondered.

"We could go eat dinner," Octavia had begun munching on the other muffin she had packed this morning.

"It would appear you've already started without me," Rarity chuckled.

Octavia shook her head, "Well, I was going to give it to Acoustic, but then we went to Sweet Apple Acres."

"Wasn't that your idea?" Rarity's chuckle had become more of a giggle.

"Yes, it was my idea," Octavia confirmed.

Rarity stopped laughing and nodded, "Oh, right then. Any place you have in mind?"

Octavia pondered for a moment, "I don't know this area very well. I suppose I can just go back to Canterlot and eat at home."

Rarity nodded, "If that's what you want to do, feel free. I was think of going back to the Boutique and starting on a dress made of Black Silk."

"Sounds like it'd be beautiful. Perhaps I'll come back here to buy it when you finish it," Octavia smiled.

"I'll save it for you then, darling. Have a safe trip home," Rarity smiled.

"Thanks, you too, I'll see you soon," she waved before trotting towards the train station, not wanting to make the same mistake twice.


Upon reaching the station, she sees that the next train would be the last on the schedule.

"Just in time, thank Celestia," the grey mare breathed a sigh of relief.

A few minutes go by and the train pulls into the station, the brakes squealing as it came to a stop, steam billowing from the funnel. Octavia was always fascinated by Steam Locomotives.

The conductor leaned his head out the window of the cab, "All aboard!"

Octavia and a myriad of other ponies boarded the train. The passenger car was full by the time everypony had found a seat.

The conductor took everypony's tickets. Octavia realized she didn't buy one and became worried. He had reached her seat.

"Your ticket please, Miss," he said with a smile.

"Sir, I'm terribly sorry, but I forgot to buy one. Is it okay if I give you the bits for the ticket?"

He nodded, "That'll work, yes. No need to panic. It'll be 3 bits."

She fished into her saddlebag, retrieving 3 bits and giving them to the conductor.

"Thank you, miss, enjoy the trip," the conductor smiled again, and moved on to the next passenger.

After he had collected everypony's tickets, he went back to the cab and shouted 'All aboard!' one last time.

Once he was sure that nopony else was coming, he began to move out of the station.

Octavia stared out the window as the mountain came closer and closer into view. She missed Ponyville already, but was happy to be heading home.


It was around midnight when the train pulled into Canterlot Station.

"We're here, everypony. Thank you for choosing Equestria Railways," the conductor open the doors to release passengers.

Octavia exited and trotted toward Canterlot Café. She sat down at an empty booth and began to read the menu.

A mint green mare with a blonde mane and tail approached her table. She was wearing a black apron with the words 'Canterlot Cafe' sprawled across in blue ink.

"Hi, my name's Apple Tarty, and I'll be taking care of you this evening. What would you like to drink?" she introduced herself.

"A glass of Apple Cider please," Octavia replied.

"And for supper? Or would you like some more time to look at the menu?" Apple Tarty asked.

"A daffodil and daisy sandwich with a side of hay fries please," Octavia requested.

"Coming right up, I'll be back with the Cider," Apple Tarty trotted away.

She returned with a cup of cider, as promised.

"The sandwich is almost done, would you like it toasted?" Apple Tarty inquired.

"Yes, please," Octavia nodded.

Apple Tarty left and came back with a plate.

"Here you are, enjoy," she smiled and moved on to the next table.


After she had eaten, paid, and left a tip, Octavia finally made her way towards home. She was thankful that the Café was open 24 hours on weekends.

With a full stomach, she began to feel rather sleepy.

After a lengthy trot across Canterlot, she had made it home. She unlocked the door and opened it, trotting inside. She closed it behind her and locked it back.

Octavia went up to her room and collapsed onto her bed. She had a wonderful day, and drifted off to sleep with a smile on her face.

THE END!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment