• Published 1st Sep 2015
  • 393 Views, 4 Comments

Winds of Despair - SushiFish78



Life was too perfect in Ponyville, but no one thought anything of it. Everything was taken for granted until something began to happen in the skies that the pegasi couldn't control, leaving everypony to wonder what will become of them.

  • ...
0
 4
 393

Chapter 2~Left Behind

Spike impatiently looked towards where Rainbow and Twilight had disappeared over the horizon. Storm clouds were beginning to advance towards Ponyville rather quickly, and he would prefer not to stand outside getting soaked. He glanced around, taking notice that the other ponies were glancing up at the clouds with faint smiles. They had a right to. A bit of rain would be amazing after the weather they've been having. The smell of wet grass, everything would be clean and damp.

He shifted uncomfortably as a few raindrops slid down his purple scales. They were quickly followed by some more.

"Excuse me," he tapped the leg of a passing mare, but she was going at full trot to escape the oncoming storm. "Wait!" he tried to run after her. Suddenly he stopped cold when a lazy roll of thunder echoed from far off in the distance. "Come on Twilight. Hurry." There had to be a place he could wait out the storm and not get drenched.

Another, more violent burst of thunder sent him scurrying down the path towards the Carousel Boutique. Bolts of lightning cut a deep wound in the darkening skies, causing it to howl in agony. Heavy winds started to buffet Spike to and fro, but he finally reached the Boutique. Something stopped him for a moment, probably the monster hoard of butterflies growing in his stomach. This wasn't the same kind of tingles as when he barfs out a letter, he was terrified of being trapped inside a building with Rarity during a storm. She couldn't see how scared he was!

"Spike?" he heard a voice over the shrieking of the wind. "What are you doing outside? Hurry come in!" Rarity had opened the door and was now pushing Spike inside, quickly slamming the door.

"Well Rainbow Dash and Twilight are out flying because something is really weird with the weather."

"This seems like a normal summer storm. I hope they've landed and are inside somewhere, flying in this weather could end horribly. Make sure you wipe your feet on the mat before coming in any further." the white unicorn turned around with a light flip of her mane. She went upstairs to the bedroom area of the boutique and called back down to Spike. "You can come upstairs! Sweetie Belle has been dying to show you something apparently."

"O-okay!" he braced himself as rapid blasts of thunder caused the windows to shake. Using a sudden surge of bravery, he made a made dash upstairs, nearly crashing into Sweetie Belle.

"Spike! There you are. Isn't it kind of funny that you picked here of all places to stay during this bad storm?" Sweetie grinned innocently, but her eyes gave away something much more malicious.

"I guess so. I was just waiting for Twilight to get back and it started to storm." Spike looked apprehensively at Sweetie Belle. "Did I interrupt something?"

Before Sweetie could respond, the lights sparked and went out. Rarity let out a yelp of surprise and briskly trotted into the hall.

"Downstairs, come on." she lead the way down the steps with increasing urgency.

"What's wrong Rarity?"

"There's a flashlight down here and I don't want you upstairs in the dark alone Sweetie."

"Rarity... this seems a bit intense for a regular storm..." Spike chimed in as he followed Rarity to the cabinet where a large roll of fabric tumbled out. He picked up the roll and pushed it back up.

"Thank you Spike, I just thin we've been without rain for such a long time- Sweetie look out!" Rarity was cut off when an extremely powerful blast of wind caused a ceiling beam to crack down the middle. Before Sweetie Belle could even look up to see what had happened, the board split, breaking the support for almost a third of the boutique, and crushing the small foal under a mountain of debris.

Now that a large part of the sky was revealed, Spike, already shaky from watching Sweetie get crushed, had to sit down and hold his head. A large funnel cloud had begun to touch down in the town square, and there were two small dots hovering near it, one blue and the other purple...

"Sweetie Belle!" Rarity screamed at the top of her lungs and galloped towards the hill of wood, stone and some furniture from the top floor. She started to move pieces out of the way to get to her younger sister. "Sweetie please say something!"

"R-arity..." she somehow managed to groan. A single white hoof was extended from under a plank of flooring. Spike dashed over to help move it, revealing a mortally crippled Sweetie Belle.

A large shard of oak had impaled the filly straight through her side, staining her cream flank a deep crimson. Every part of her seemed bruised and cut, swelling up in too many places to count. As she struggled to call out to Rarity, blood bubbled up from her throat, the wind whipping it across her face.

"Spike! Help me get this out of her!" Rarity cried out in hysteria, attempting to pull out the beam of wood. Heavy tears traced down her face as they pushed it out of Sweetie's stomach.

"Rarity... i-i-it hurts..." Sweetie Belle whispered, curling in on herself. Now that the beam was gone, there was a gaping hole going through her, letting her intestines start to pile onto the floor every time she even breathed. Spike had to turn away as Rarity collapsed to sit by her dying sister.

"I'm so sorry Sweetie.."

"I wonder if..." she winced. "ghost ponies can get cutie marks." Sweetie muttered with her last breath.

Rarity fought back tears and kissed her on the cheek. "I'm sure they can, and yours will be the best the world has ever seen..."