• Published 1st Sep 2015
  • 393 Views, 4 Comments

Winds of Despair - SushiFish78



Life was too perfect in Ponyville, but no one thought anything of it. Everything was taken for granted until something began to happen in the skies that the pegasi couldn't control, leaving everypony to wonder what will become of them.

  • ...
0
 4
 393

Chapter 1~No Time

"Have we got everything on the list Spike?" Twilight Sparkle and her dragon companion paused for a moment by the town's fountain to go over a rather lengthy list of things to purchase they had prepared earlier that morning. The sun beat down on Ponyville, creating an uncomfortably humid day. Not many ponies were on the street, and if they were, they seemed to be rushing to get inside. Spike jumped up to sit on the stone ledge around the water, attempting to get closer to the cooling mist drifting from the fountain's spray while scanning the list. It contained a variety of objects from bottles of ink and parchment, to apples from Sweet Apple Acres. The list also demanded of them many other tasks, like dropping this off here and there.

"Almost everything, we promised Rarity we would bring her a few of those quills from earlier." Spike responded and starting digging through their shopping bag. "Luckily we have just enough." He brought out three purple feathered quills triumphantly, then put them back in the bag. He gave the smallest of smiles, imagining what Rarity would say when he hand-delivered the precious feathers, then quickly stopped, no wasn't the time for that.

"Let's not keep Rarity waiting then! Climb on." Twilight bent her knees to allow Spike to clamber onto her back. He did so with a bit of difficulty, a bit slippery from the fountain water. Then they set off down the path to the Carousel Boutique. Since they wouldn't arrive for some time, Twilight took the time to think. She did this often, not even knowing what to think about, she'd would just... think. Some might say this was a dangerous hobby to follow when walking through Ponyville, but nopony was outside their homes today, so there was no need to worry too much.

It was closer to autumn now, so most ponies would expect the weather to be cooler and more pleasant. However the last few days have proved quite the opposite. The annual Running of the Leaves was approaching fast, nopony will want to run in this heat! The leaves wouldn't fall properly, fall would be ruined, then winter! All of the seasons would be mashed together and everypony would be miserable! Then-

Twilight's panicked train of thought was interrupted when a blue pegasus suddenly landed in her path, calling out her name as she kicked up dust. In the split second it took for the pony to land and Twilight to realize she was there, they crashed into each other, sending quills, parchment rolls, and ink bottles tumbling on the ground. Twilight managed to barely keep her footing. Not the same could be said for Spike, as he had fallen off onto the cobble.

"Rainbow Dash! You should really watch where you're landing next time!" Twilight looked back at Spike, who brushed himself off and glanced up at Dash then to Twi, telling her he was alright.

"But this is kind of an emergency!" Pacing eagerly on the path, Rainbow looked more excited than scared considering what she just said.

At the sound of the word emergency, Twilight suddenly directed all of her attention on her rainbow maned friend. She immediately began mentally listing off possibilities. Something had gone wrong and it would probably fall on her and her friends shoulders to fix it. It was her duty as the Princess of Friendship and that of her friends of course to be sure everypony was safe from whatever odd thing seemingly just popped out of the ground.

"I mean it's probably not an emergency. I just wanted to get your attention." Dash sheepishly smiled, rubbing her hoof against the back of her mane. With an annoyed sigh, Twilight gestured for her to continue. "So, yeah. Something weird is going on with the weather, none of the pegasi in Cloudsdale can figure out. I figured an egghead like you would know what's going on."

"For the last time Rainbow Dash, I'm just well-read, that doesn't make me an egghead. I suppose I'll be able to help though." An eagerness swept through her, causing her wings to extend and start to lift her into the air. "Where is it?"

"Just follow me."

"Lead the way, and hurry, it could be something dangerous!"

"I just thought to tell you something weird is going on. Don't freak out." Dash started along above the clouds, smirking back at Twilight as she followed a bit further behind. "Can you keep up rookie?"

"Of course I can! Stop thinking I'm incapable." Twilight's wings easily glided on the slight breeze, but Rainbow Dash deliberately kept a bit ahead by flapping more.Suddenly the two were thrown off course when a pegasi went zipping by them. Before any of them could say something in annoyance, she skittered to halt and went back to Rainbow Dash, panic painted over her face in thick paint.

"Rainbow Dash! I-it's getting worse! We can't control it! We need help!" she panted, tears starting to form in her big eyes.

"Calm down, what's going on?" Dash let her face change minutely in concern, but was internally freaking out. What happenedin the few minutes she'd been gone?

"The clouds! The wind! It's starting to spiral around, and the clouds are getting closer to the ground!"

Twilight lifted her head sharply upon hearing this extra tidbit. "Do they look like a funnel?"

"I-I think so..."

"Why? What's going on Twi?" Dash glanced over, once again confused on what knowledge she had hidden from them all

"I never thought something like this could happen but..." She shook her head in distress. "Ponyville is on the brink of facing it's first tornado."

Author's Note:

This is my first mlp fanfic, and hopefully not my last :pinkiehappy: . This is sort of new and confusing but dont worry, it's called learning. I really hope you guys enjoyed reading it and I'll try to get the next chapter up ASAP. :moustache:

Stay fabulous,
SushiFish78 :heart: