• Published 29th Aug 2015
  • 1,455 Views, 19 Comments

Song of Silence - SmokeShadow95



Octavia meets a pony who doesn't say much, but ends up telling her so much more than she could have ever believed

  • ...
2
 19
 1,455

Words Not Needed (Rewrite)

Octavia was able to talk her way into the amphitheater. The security guards were not only well aware of her family connections, but were also big fans of her own music. That made things a whole lot easier. After a few moments of negotiating they allowed her to take Vinyl inside. However, they had a time limit. Ten minutes. In ten minutes the shifts would change and by then they had to be gone. Vinyl was sure she wouldn't waste a second of it.

Octavia gave her thanks to the security guards and they she headed inside with Vinyl. Vinyl raced in with Octavia, only to stop when she was barely in the place. The amphitheater. It was a very large, semicircle shaped building. The only thing with a roof above it was the stage. All the seats sat in the open air, beneath the stars in the night sky. Vinyl's wide eyes passed over everything she saw. With a smile on her face, she raced around like a little filly in a candy shop. Octavia couldn't help but smile and giggle at Vinyl.

“Calm yourself, Vinyl,” She said. “And come with me. I will show you where they keep the instruments.”

Vinyl was bouncing up and down as she followed Octavia up onto the stage. She froze for a second and gazed out over the many seats. This was the most amazing thing she had ever seen. Even though she was here, she could hardly imagine the feeling of being on stage with every seat filled. Her heart raced as the image flashed in her mind. It was an incredible feeling. She looked back to Octavai, and the sudden feeling she had before pulsed again. She wasn't sure what it was, but it wasn't bad. She quickly caught up to Octavia, who had descended a set of stairs in the back behind the stage.

“Here we are,” Octavia said as they came to the bottom of the stairs. “This is where they keep all the instruments. Many of them are backups in case something happens on stage with a performers instrument. Although, that doesn't happen to often so I'm assuming most of these are. . .” Octavia reached out with a hoof and plucked one of the strings on an instrument. Both her and Vinyl recoiled back at the awful sound. “. . . Out of tune,” Octavia said.

She walked along the rows of instruments, her eyes passing over each one in turn and mentally ranking them from best to worst. It was a little game she played when she a few moments to spare. She tried not to do it when it came to ponies, but even she had to admit there were some better than others. Although, as she went she was finding it increasingly difficult to focus on her little game. All her thoughts drifted around to Vinyl. For some reason she was finding it hard to think of anything else, and she couldn't fathom why.

Maybe it was her beautiful white coat, like a blank canvas ready for an artist to make into a masterpiece. Or perhaps her mane, that electric blue mess of hair that only she could pull off. And then there were the glasses. Those shades, Octavia had never seen her without them. Those mysterious purple lenses were hiding something behind them, and Octavia was certain it was a lovely sight. Vinyl Scratch filled her thoughts, and only then did she really realize how silent it had become.

“Vinyl,” She said as she turned around. “You've become so quiet all of the sudden.”

Vinyl stood right behind her. She had been following her around this entire time. But she also was having trouble with her thoughts, just not in the same way as Octavia. Octavia's mind was being filled with Vinyl, whereas Vinyl's mind was in the middle of a struggle. An internal debate of sorts. A decision was being weighed, and it was big one. Vinyl was wrestling with this when Octavia turned around. Vinyl glanced up just to see Octavia's purple eyes looking at her. And then it happened.

Vinyl stepped forward quickly, her eyes locked with Octavia's. She leaned in closer, much closer than she had ever thought possible. Before she knew it her lips had met Octavia's, and she was kissing her. Octavia was just as surprised as Vinyl. She turned around, and then Vinyl was kissing her. Before she even knew what was happening, their lips were locked in a kiss. A few precious seconds passed like they were hours. Octavia stood there in shock before tearing herself away.

“Vinyl!” She said as took a step back. “Wha- Why? Why did you do that?”