• Published 28th May 2012
  • 2,623 Views, 33 Comments

My Little Flash Fiction: Postmodernism is Magic - aaaa_aaaa



A collection of experimental short fics I've written for prompts.

  • ...
1
 33
 2,623

Pressure [Light Shipping]

Rainbow Dash woke up to see two colts jeering at her and Fluttershy holding a racing flag. I'm dreaming about the race again. But why? And why isn't Fluttershy a filly? I haven't had this dream ever sinc--- Before she could finish her thought, the flag went down.


Wings flapping, adrenaline pumping, heart beating, Rainbow Dash flew through the air, effortlessly passing through gates. She felt the wind flying through her feathers and mane, her Pegasus magic and the ambient magic intertwining - the magic wasn't forcing the air to do her work; the air wasn't resisting, instead, it cooperated as always.

But today, Rainbow Dash couldn't afford to fly as usual, she had to speed things up a bit - pegasus magic pushed harder and harder and air hesitated for a second before finally complying. The barrier built up around her, whitening as the air began to push back - she could almost hear it telling her to slow down, that she's taking things too fast. Rainbow Dash almost stopped until she remembered who she was flying for. Instead, wings pushed harder, forcing their will on the air...


Rainbow Dash woke up to the familiar sound of a certain high-pitched mare.

"Why is she so lazy?" Rarity complained to herself. She raised her voice and said "Rainbow, dear, get down here - everpony else is ready. Including Fluttershy," she added with a smirk.

The lazy Pegasus considered staying on her infinitely soft cloud - to a Pegasus, a cloud isn't just a formation of water droplets; just like any other weather construct, it was embedded with magic that could be molded to a Pegasus' liking, such as how a sleeping Rainbow Dash unconsciously formed the cloud to match her ideal sleeping conditions. As she thought about how comfortable the cloud was, she realized that meant enduring more of Rarity's teasing and decided to get off the cloud, muttering to herself all the way.


"And what will you have?" the bartender asked Rainbow Dash.

"The umm... CIDER! That's right! Hard cider! I drink that stuff all the time," she lied, hoping that nobody would realize this was her first time drinking alcohol.

The bartender sighed, wrote down the order and turned to Fluttershy, who blushed and turned to Twilight, whispering "Umm... do I have to drink? I don't want to be a loud drunk or anything..."

"Well if it's on my checklist, yes you have to," replied Twilight. The waiter grunted impatiently.

"ooh right, sorry... Can I please have the uhh--" said Fluttershy, quickly glancing to Rainbow Dash, "cider?"

The bartender facehoofed, realizing that this was going to be another of those days. “Very well.”

With all the orders down - Applejack chose cider of course, Twilight and Rarity opted for wine and Pinkie requested her own impossibly complex mix - the conversations began.

“This cider can’t compare to Sweet Apple Acres cider, but I guess it will do,” complained Applejack.

“Don’t be such a grumpy pants, Applejack!” exclaimed Pinkie, “Alcohol is still alcohol; and you’ll still get drunk!”

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash gave Pinkie a nervous glance for a second before they resumed their conversation.

“So... Is this your first time at a bar?” asked Fluttershy.

“Nope. I drink all the time; I’m not new to this, in fact I know exactly what I’m doing!” bragged Rainbow Dash.

The conversations veered to more personal topics.

“I had a *hic* dream about you this afternoon,” said Rainbow Dash

Fluttershy was red even before the sentence was complete.

“Oh, not that kind of dream silly, I just dreamed about the race we got our cutie marks,” Rainbow Dash corrected.

And even more personal topics as the alcohol hit the group’s brains(and livers). Talk of stallions and fillies filled the drunken air. Twilight pulled a quill and a sheet of parchment from Celestia-knows-where and was taking notes, Rarity was talking about Prince Blueblood again and Fluttershy continued to blush.

Meanwhile, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie started talking about the pranking they did on Hearts and Hooves Day.

“And the look on her face when she woke up next to him *hic* was priceless!” exclaimed Pinkie, who broke into a fit of laughter.

“A classic Pinkie Pie prank,” said Rainbow Dash, “Ya know, *hic* I still need to get that love poison recipe from Scootaloo...”

“Oooh! I just had an idea! Dashie, I dare you to kiss Fluttershy!” exclaimed Pinkie Pie, as if this request was perfectly normal.

Dash complied.


Rainbow Dash was back to the dream of her first race; right when she was about to hit the sound barrier. As she approached critical speeds, the air began to push back, and her body complied. But then her mind replied –I’m doing this for Fluttershy. - and the reckless pegasus accelerated, hitting the sound barrier.

And the barrier hit back; pushing Rainbow Dash back with more force than physics would allow, completely reversing her momentum and sending her backwards into the ground. As everything began to fade, she thought to herself, What did I do wrong?


As she woke up, the dream faded from Rainbow Dash’s mind, leaving only that one last thought in her head. She struggled to recollect the events of last night – but all she could remember were the events leading up to Pinkie’s dare and the dare itself.

Surprisingly, besides the misplaced memories, her brain and body showed no sign of last night’s events(probably thanks to her fast metabolism), allowing her to rise to her hooves as questions and worries flooded her mind.

Does Fluttershy hate me now? What happened last night? How did I get home last night?

Rainbow Dash wanted to escape, wanted to run away from Ponyville where she didn’t have to face these questions, but instead she could only see one way to answer these questions. She flew over to Fluttershy’s cottage and stood outside of the door.

And then she knocked once on the door, leaving her hoof hanging in the air as it opened.


Instead of fighting the wind, Rainbow Dash accepted it’s will, realizing her mistake. The ground grew larger and larger; until suddenly she felt a pillow of air stop her fall. She hesitated for a second, worried that a second attempt would end up like the first, but then the wind started to push her on her way, guiding her wings. As she flew through the air, she realized that like many things, flying isn’t a fight between air and wing, it’s a union. The air began to form a white trail around the pegasus, a white trail that was no longer a barrier, but a guideline, beckoning her to accelerate.

And then it collapsed, leaving a multicolored flash in it’s wake.