• Published 27th May 2012
  • 10,148 Views, 323 Comments

Two Weeks - Starlitomega



After Rainbow asks her out, Twilight decides to give her two weeks to see if they can make it work.

  • ...
35
 323
 10,148

"You cannot let anything get in your way."

Twilight finished her shopping as quick as she could trying to keep what had just happened out of her head. After crying off and on the remainder of the day, she had no problem sleeping that night. Spike tried to help, but there was little he could do.

The unicorn moped about in a daze the next morning trying to make sense of the whirlwind of events that had occurred in the recent weeks. Her eyes flew to the clock.

Right about now, Applejack, Rarity, and Fluttershy would be boarding the train to Manehattan.

It seemed so long ago that they were all friends, and nothing could tear them apart. Now... now she was being singled out.

Twilight’s ear twitched as a powerful teleportation spell manifested behind her. She didn't even need to turn around to know who it was.

“Why are you here?” she asked, her eyes cast downward.

“I go where I am needed,” the regal voice answered.

Twilight cast a quick glance to the kitchen in time to see an apologetic Spike peering back at them.

“I guess you know everything then,” Twilight muttered.

“As a princess, I am privy to much information. Unfortunately, I cannot see into the hearts of those who mean the most to me, ” Celestia said, raising Twilight’s head gently. “Please, tell me what bothers you so.”

Twilight couldn't lock eyes with her mentor. The shame rising in her heart was unbearable. “Princess, what... how can I... um, I mean...”

“Just say it,” Celestia urged.

Twilight nodded and took a deep breath. “Am I supposed to have a normal life? I see other ponies going on dates, starting lives and families, but I can’t do that. My responsibilities to Equestria and you are too great! It would only distract me fro-”

A gentle hoof upon Twilight’s lips silenced her.

Celestia sighed heavily. “I can see I haven’t been clear about what’s expected of you.”

Celestia motioned for the unicorn to come closer. As Twilight approached, her large wings unfolded and covered Twilight protectively.

“You’ve read many books about Starswirl the Bearded. What do you know about him?”

“W-well, he was a powerful unicorn. He helped write many spells includi-”

“Yes, but what about him?” the princess asked.

“I... I don’t understand.”

“Twilight, the reason everypony knew him for his magic was because they knew nothing about him. He sat in that dusty old library, isolating himself from other ponies for such a long time, that he eventually just became another one of the relics tucked away from the world. When... when the funeral came, many ponies attended out of respect, but none out of friendship.”

Celestia raised Twilight’s head gently. “I don’t want you to be remembered for your studies, or your magic. I want the generations that follow to know about Twilight Sparkle, the pony. You need a life outside of your duties. You need your friends, and maybe more.”

The princess smiled gently. “Besides, I would be the proudest pony in Equestria if you ever appeared in Canterlot with a foal of your own.”

A bittersweet flood of emotions rushed through Twilight. Hearing her mentor’s reassuring words freed her from the doubt she had instilled in herself. Unfortunately, it also proved she threw away her relationship with Dash for nothing.

“Princess Celestia... what if you really loved somepony, but you knew somepony else did too?”

“I’m... not sure what you’re trying to ask, Twilight.”

The unicorn furrowed her brow in frustration. “I love somepony, but if I go after them, I might end up hurting somepony else who likes them too.”

Celestia stood up, removing her wings gently from the unicorn. "You must follow your heart. Pursue them, tell them how you feel, and let them decide. You should be prepared to be turned away, though. Above all else, however, you must not falter, and you cannot let anything get in your way.”

Twilight let these words sit on her mind for a few moments before rising to her hooves.

“Thank you, Princess Celestia.” She gave the alicorn a warm hug.

Twilight turned to the open kitchen door. “Come on out, Spike. We’ve got a train to catch.”


The ride to Manhattan wasn’t an especially long one, but it did allow the jumbled thoughts in Twilight’s head to coalesce.

“Twilight?”

Spike’s nervous eyes matched her own.

“Uhhh you said the show was sold out right? How are we going to get in?”

“I... don’t know, but I do have a plan. It’s a bit of a stretch, though.”

“Are we gonna bust our way in? Maybe sneak in through the ventilation ducts?”

Twilight shook her head. “Nope, I’m gonna call in a favor.”


After arriving in Manehattan, it was surprisingly easy to find someone who knew where Twilight wanted to go. After the coach left, she understood why.

The mansion sprawled across a wide swath of land, taking up much of the scenery. Walking up the steps, she realized they were made from marble and probably costed more than all of the books in her library combined.

Before long, she stood before the giant door looming over the opulent stairs. She reached up for the door knocker, only to realize there wasn't one. Instead, a doorbell beckoned to her from the side. She pushed the button and heard the faint tone of gentle chimes from the other side of the door.

Seconds later, the door slowly opened. A dapper pony stood in the doorway to greet them.

“Good evening, young lady. How may I be of service?”

Nervousness welled up inside of Twilight, but she swallowed it back down.

“My name is Twilight Sparkle. I was wondering if it might be possible to speak with Lady Silver Bell.”

The butler hummed for a moment. “The lady is preparing to leave soon, but she might see you. One moment please.”

The door closed, leaving Twilight to wonder if this was such a good idea in the first place.

“Uhh Twilight, how exactly do you know ‘Lady Silver Bell’?” Spike asked, using air quotes.

“Well, I don’t really ‘know her,’ know her...”

“Somehow, that doesn’t make me feel better,” Spike said.

The door opened again. “The lady will see you now. Please, come in,” the butler said, motioning for them to follow.

If the outside of the mansion was luxurious, the inside could only be described as opulent. The foyer of the mansion was a mixture of white and gold with an exceptionally large chandelier hanging from the ceiling.

“Ah, Miss Sparkle. It is agreeable to see you again,” a sophisticated voice called out. The same pony who had approached Twilight and Rainbow outside the restaurant weeks ago, now gracefully descended the staircase. She wore a dress that severely outclassed many of the comparatively plain clothes that the nobles wore to The Grand Galloping Gala.

“G-good evening, Lady Silver Bell. I don’t remember telling you my name...”

A refined laugh cut through the spacious hall.

“Darling, you and your friends have saved Equestria multiple times. You yourself are the personal protégé of Princess Celestia. A pony like me would be remiss to not know of somepony like you.”

Twilight blushed momentarily before finding her voice again. “Ah, well, it’s not really that big of a deal. I was just-”

“Yes, yes, duty and the like. I understand. Let us cut to the quick, so to speak. You are here because you need help, no?

Twilight nodded. “Rainbow Dash is performing tonight for a sold out audience an-”

“And you need some way inside,” Lady Silver Bell interrupted.

Twilight nodded.

“I see. Then it’s fortunate for you that I happen to own the stadium in question. Even more fortunate is the fact that I have backstage passes.”

“You own the stadium?” Twilight asked incredulously.

“My dear, it is called ‘The Bell Stadium.’”

Twilight slapped herself mentally for not connecting the two. “So... you were the one who booked Rainbow to perform! Why? She’s not a Wonderbolt or anything. How in the hay did she sell out an entire stadium?”

Lady Silver Bell tsked. “Again, you sell yourself and your friends short. Miss Rainbow Dash is the only pony in Equestria to perform a sonic rainboom. In addition, she was crowned the best young flyer in Equestria, and to top it all off, she is one of the Elements of Harmony who have helped save Equestria on more than one occasion. I would be quite the bad business pony if I couldn’t sell a stadium out with a performer like her.”

Hearing Lady Silver Bell describe Rainbow in such a way, Twilight had to admit, it would be difficult to turn down a ticket herself.

“I must say, though, that pink pony she was with seemed rather on edge. I wonder now if putting her in charge of the backstage refreshments and catering was such a good idea.”

Of course Pinkie would be there too.

“Ah, but I ramble. I need to finish preparing, but once I’m done we can all ride in my carriage to the stadium together. Would that be alright with you, Miss Sparkle?”

Twilight nodded slowly. “I would be extremely grateful, Lady Silver Bell.”

The pony atop the staircase smiled warmly. “No need for formalities between friends. Silver will suffice.”


The carriage ride to the stadium was rather uneventful. Silver Bell was mostly kept busy keeping the energetic foal Twilight and Rainbow Dash met at the restaurant under control. When the carriage finally came to a halt in front of the stadium, Silver Bell exited first and waited for Twilight to hop out.

“I’m afraid we'll be cutting it close. Miss Rainbow Dash is supposed to be performing any minute now,” Lady Silver Bell said checking her pocket watch before reaching into her purse. ”I believe you’ll need these Miss Sparkle,” The sophisticated pony said, holding out two V.I.P. passes. “They will give you access to any part of the facility you wish.”

“Th-thanks, Silver. You can call me Twilight.”

Silver Bell smiled knowingly back at her. “My dear, I have a feeling tonight shall be one none of us will soon forget.”

Twilight smiled gratefully, took the passes, and ran to the door.

“Woah! Slow down Twilight, I’m barely hanging on!”

“Sorry Spike! We have to get backstage before Rainbow goes out there.” Twilight reached the door and barreled through.

“Hey! You need a ticket miss!” The doorpony shouted.

Twilight halted in her tracks and with an annoyed scowl produced the two passes.

“Oh! You’re one of Lady Silver's... I’m sorry! Go right in!”

Twilight turned and continued galloping past the main entrance. She stopped for a moment.

“I… I don’t know which way to go!”

“Over there!” Spike said pointing to a sign labeled 'backstage.' Twilight resumed running past the few ponies hanging out in the hall. She finally saw another door with a pony guarding it. This time she pulled out the pass early. The guard spotted it and flung the doors open, allowing her to enter. As soon as she crossed into the backstage area, she screeched to a halt.

The backstage area resembled a dining hall more than any backstage she’d ever seen. A large chandelier presided over the room. Instead of pointing upwards, the lighting on the tips pointed downwards with gold straps going around the arms. A large dining table sat under the chandelier and statues lined the room giving the entire hall a classy feel. Looking to the left and right, Twilight could see numerous hallways and staircases that lined the room.

Unfortunately, all of the decor clashed with the bouncy music, streamers, confetti, and balloons in the room. A sense of dread fell over Twilight as a few ponies milling about looked her way.

“Spike, how in the hay are we gonna find Rainbow’s room?” Twilight asked.

“Just pick a hallway and go!” Spike offered.

Twilight galloped forward alongside the table, headed for the rear hallway.

“Hold it right there!”

Twilight stopped in her tracks. She was hoping she could run in and say what she needed to say without any complications. Unfortunately, that wasn’t meant to be.

“What are you doing here! You need a pass to be backstage!”

Twilight sighed turning to the pony addressing her. “I have a pass, Pinkie! I have to talk to Rainbow Dash. Where is she?”

The pink pony didn’t seem to be herself. Her mane flowed straight down her neck and shoulders and she seemed highly irritated.

“Oh no you don’t! You might have a pass, but I’m not letting you anywhere near Dashie!”

“Pinkie, please! Rainbow doesn’t... she doesn’t love you like that! She’s just hurt and confused and I’m the one who did it! I have to tell her I’m sorry.”

A dangerous look gleamed in Pinkie’s eyes. “Doesn’t love me? You’re mean and just trying to take Dashie away from me. I won’t let you!

Celestia’s words echoed in her mind. You must follow you heart, you must not falter, and you can’t let anything get in your way.

Twilight looked up at Pinkie with resolve burning in her eyes. “I’m going to see her, Pinkie, and you’re not going to stop me,” Twilight said, walking toward the hallway, eyes set straight forward.

Pinkie glanced around the room desperately. Her eyes locked on one of the statues lining the hall. The pink pony hopped on one of them and wrapped her hooves around the decorative sword. With a forceful pull, the sword broke free. Pinkie grabbed it and scrambled in front of the hallway entrance, holding the sword in a combative posture.

“It’s not fair! Everypony wants me to throw them a party, or cheer them up, but the one time I finally get the one thing I really want, somepony has to come and take her away!”

The other ponies loitering about stepped away nervously. Twilight stopped in her tracks, not wanting to further agitate the distraught pony.

“Pinkie, please, just… let me through.”

“No! Dashie and I are doing just fine! We don’t need you around to mess things up!” The pink pony's chest heaved with every word.

You can’t let anything get in your way.

Twilight swallowed and started walking towards the hallway.

“Don’t come any closer!” Pinkie warned.

Twilight marched forward, heedless of the warning.

Pinkie screamed and leapt into the air, aiming the sword right at Twilight.

The unicorn dodged to the side just in time as the sword struck the ground.

Twilight looked incredulously at the spot where she once stood. A few locks of hair from her tail sat on the ground, neatly cleaved off.

“Twilight! I think she’s playin’ for keeps!” Spike warned. “What are you gonna do?”

A red glow enveloped the baby dragon. The aura carried him to the side of the room and plopped him on the ground. With Spike safely out of harms way she looked back at the dangerous pony.

“Pinkie! What were you thinking? I could’ve been hurt!”

Pinkie hefted the sword back up and pointed it at Twilight.

“I’m tired of everypony treating me like I’m an idiot! Nopony even tries to learn about me! I might as well be a stranger! She’s the only pony who doesn’t make me feel like I’m a walking joke! You’re not taking her away!”

Twilight’s mind raced. Even if she could just teleport up to the room, she couldn’t leave Pinkie down here with the other ponies in such a crazed state. Unease built in her gut as she prepared to incapacitate the pony she once called her friend.


I’ve come here from nowhere
Across the unforgiving sea
Drifting further and further
It’s all becoming clear to me

But violent winds are upon us and I can’t sleep
Internal temperatures rising
And all the voices won’t recede

I’ve finally found what I was looking for
A place where I can be without remorse
Because I am a stranger who has found
An even stranger war
I’ve finally found what I was looking for

I sharpen the knife
And look down upon the bay
For all of my life
A stranger I remain