• Published 23rd Aug 2015
  • 458 Views, 6 Comments

The New Life of Shadow Ironsword - ShadowIronsword



Shadow Ironsword has always been a bit off from his surroundings, since he is mostly wolf and part pegasus. Because of this he has never really been able to make very many friends. Will this change in Ponyville, the acclaimed friendship capital?

  • ...
4
 6
 458

Tactical retreat

A week later

I arrived in Cloudsdale feeling lower than I had in almost a month. I got off the lift the city officials had set up to allow non-pegasi access Cloudsdale. I was riding, not only, because of my broken leg being in a cast, and because the officials didn’t like anyone flying into the city without being checked, especially after the Canterlot changeling invasion. I brought my bags up to the terminal and set them in front of the guard at the station.

“Sorry for the inconvenience, sir, this’ll only take a second, then you can be on your way.” The guard said to me with a practiced neutral voice. He lit his horn and passed an aura over all three of my bags, then over me. As it went over me I felt a slight tingle, and the hairs on my coat raise. “You’re all clear, head on out.”

“Thank you, sir.” I gave a slight salute to the guard with my paw. Once I was beyond the terminal I threw my three bags on me with thier straps and flew over to Val’s house. Celestia, I hope he’s home. I landed in front of his house and took a deep breath. Ok, he’ll understand. He has to, he’s all I’ve got left, besides my family. No, no, It’s not gonna go well I should just leave, go to my dad’s and stay there till I’m better. I turned to leave, but the sound of a door opening behind me froze me.

“Oh, hey, Shadow. Didn’t expect to see you back here anytime soon.” I stayed where I was, completely frozen, facing the street. “Shadow! Hey, you alright?” He walked around me and jumped in my path as I started to make my way away from him. His amber eyes filled with concern as they locked with mine. “Hey, if I’m too awesome to be around I understand, but ya gotta tell me, alright?” That got a slight chuckle out of me. “But, seriously, come on inside and tell me what’s up.” He put a guiding black hoof on my shoulder and led me into his small house.

As I entered the main foyer I noticed he had changed the layout of his living room and kitchen. I gave a surprised blink. “I thought you liked the way you had the living room laid out before?”

He gave me a confused look then recognition crossed his face. “Right, forgot you’ve been gone like a month. You haven’t met my marefriend yet.” I felt my jaw hit the floor as he continued to talk. “Yea, she didn’t quite like how the place was laid out, so we came to an agreement to rearrange it a bit. After all, wouldn’t want her to be uncomfortable at home, right?” He gave me a cheeky grin.

“No, I guess not.” I looked down to the floor, downcast. Dammit I missed another important moment in my, supposed, best friends life.

“Hey, Shadow, seriously what’s up? Not getting jealous are ya?” I looked up to him and gave a small smile.

“No, no, I’m not jealous.” I gave a small chuckle. “I’m just really down. Things didn’t go well in Ponyville. Well, at least not as well as I’d hoped.” Val’s face changed to one of rage.

“What happened? Did they treat you like crap?” He noticed that he was shouting and took a second to calm down slightly, before continuing, “What exactly happened?”

“Well no, they didn’t treat me like crap. In fact,a most didn’t even know what I was. I was actually treated pretty well there. Twilight and her friends were very accepting of me, well those who knew what I was, at least.” I gave a heavy sigh, and I felt my eyes droop slightly as I continued. “Then I got into a fight at the tavern in Ponyville, after that I got off scott free. The next morning Twilight and I went to a local eatery to talk and catch up, then... then Smokey came and confronted us both.” I saw Val’s face contort in, barely contained, rage.

“What did that bastard have to say?” He threw his forelegs out in anger and hit me in the temple with the point of his hoof. I felt my vision go blurry as I started to wobble. “Shadow, are you alright? Shadow? Shadow?!” My vision went black and the floor rushed to meet me. Well this is going to hurt like hell.


I awoke on Val’s couch and groaned. Celestia, what happened? “Good, you’re awake.” The voice I heard was not that of Val. In fact, if I had to guess it was a mare. Crap, well this is a hell of a first impression to leave on Val’s new fillyfriend.

I sat up slowly, noticing the ice pack on my head. I grabbed it and held it onto the same spot, roughly, as to where it was before. “Um, hi?” My voice sounded hoarse and raspy. “Sorry about collapsing in your guy’s living room, kinda didn’t mean to, just sorta happened.”

She gave me a glare with her amber eyes. “I would assume that. You can imagine what a surprise it was to come home to my stallion's home and find him dragging his unconscious friend across the floor, freaking out about how he had killed you.” She got up from her spot in the chair a few feet away. Her turquoise coat shifting over her toned physique. She dropped down to eye level with me her copper mane bouncing a bit as she did so. Her amber eyes locked with mine, she seemed to pause before looking down to my my body. Her eyes widened slightly as she viewed my wings and legs.

I gave an amused chuckle before saying, “Like what you see?” She stopped before tossing a playful glare up at me.

“A mare can’t appreciate a view?” I sucked in a lungfull of air. “No, I’m faithful to Valor, but I was curious about what you are. I mean, it’s not every day you run into a pony like you.”

“Whew.” I breathed a sigh of relief. “That’s good to hear. Val’s been through enough with loyalty issues as it is.” I gave a groan as I sat up and took a look around the living room. “Speaking of Val, where is he?” I looked to her with a curious expression.

She gave a huff and looked off to the front door. “After we got you situated on the couch he gasped, took off, and said he’d be back later. I assume he headed to Vanguard’s forge. By the way, my name is Amber Joy. I assume you’re Shadow?” She held out her hoof.

I reached out my paw and bumped her hoof. “Yeah, I’m Shadow. It’s nice to meet my bro’s marefriend. But, how do you know my dad?”

“Oh! Valor introduced me to him a week ago.”

“Really? What’d you think of him?”

She gave a hearty laugh. “He’s crazy, but he’s got a heart of gold.” She looked at me carefully, then smiled. “Something he seems to have passed onto his son, if your friendship with Valor is any indication.”

I felt my cheeks heat up slightly. As i rubbed at them I responded, “Well, I’m not anything special. ‘Specially when compared to my dad.” I looked down and gave a soft smile. “Though Celestia knows he’s tried his best to make a respectable stallion out of me.”

Her soft smile remained on her face. “Hey you feeling better?” I gave a solid nod. “Good ‘cause we’re gonna go see Valor and your dad.”

I felt a shiver of apprehension run through my back. My dad? What is he gonna think? I gave a shake of my head. No, he’ll understand. “Alright, let’s head over to the forge.” I got up off the couch and stretched. Well, here goes everything.

Author's Note:

As always, please leave any, and all, criticisms in a comment.