• Published 26th Aug 2015
  • 4,548 Views, 100 Comments

Flame of Courage. - shattered_sky



(rewitten)Nathan your average brony who wants to escape his monotonous life. He finds a mysterious website which grants his wish. To enter a land of friendship and magic, a chance to be a hero, he fucks up. He will embark on a journey for redemption

  • ...
26
 100
 4,548

Chapter 6: Welcome to Ponyville!

Chapter 6: Welcome to Ponyville!

It's been two weeks now. I would usually not stay in the hospital for this long even with worse injuries but... I have nowhere to go and nothing to do.

The mane six visit me once in awhile, specifically Twilight and Pinkie, I honestly don't mind Pinkie's antics. Twilight asked a bajillion questions since we met.

I don't really mind the hospital mush, the military rations are worse. I asked if they could cook the squirrel, I know that ponies are not fond of meat but they looked like they were shot.

Doc said I can get out of the hospital later on today and I'll recover in two more weeks. But I only recovered that fast because I have been slowly healing myself with chaos magic.

Speaking of magic, what happened to healing magic in hospitals? I guess because this is a small town... And the fact that no one is gonna fry you with spells or bash your skull. And neither receive an arrow to the knee.

How did I get so weak? I used to be stronger than this, I could beat all of them at once before. Now I was pushed to my limits by two of them. I have to train soon.

Well, to matters at hand.

I do enjoy company but...

This is just awkward.

Sitting on a chair beside the bed was Fluttershout. The crimson haired pegasus had a small smile on her face and a black backpack on her lap. And she was kinda staring at me...

It's kinda funny. One of your enemies is visiting you when you're sick, just like your best pals. It happens to be less amusing when it happens to you.

Okaaaaaaay... This is weirding me out a bit. And this is coming from a 'friend' of Discord. I wonder why she's here anyways.

"Uhhh... Hey." She began. She then shifted in her seat uncomfortably. Ok this doesn't seem like Fluttershout. "So... How are you feeling?" I'm fucking speechless.

"Uhh... I'm great!" I then gave her a thumbs up. "Sooo... How's taking over Equestria?" You know... I'm wondering how can I be so casual in this situation...

"It's all coming together~. You know... At this point you could still join in." She said. Ahhh.... So this is what it's all about. "How does being a king sound to you." That's a bit forward. Hmmm... A king? Nah. Too much responsibilities.

"Nah. I'd rather be a court jester, while praying not to be fried by my master. Or probably a baker, I can bake good banana cake." Provided, I haven't baked in a thousand years.

I never really had a conversation with any of the Elements of Insanity. They're still like the mane six in a way, their destinies are still intertwined, though they have strayed off their original path.

She then giggled. "That's it? I thought you had higher ambitions." You know... Brutalight was more sane than I expected. Fluttershout is way calmer than I imagined.

"Oh don't get me wrong, I love adventure and combat. But if you have lived as long as me, peace is a wonderful thing." She then frowned.

"I fight for peace, for harmony. You guys strive to cause chaos. But I can feel that there is a part of you who doesn't like what you are doing." I continued on. I meant Fluttershy by that part of her.

"That part of me... That timid mare died a long time ago." She glared at me. "But you right in a way. Sometimes I have doubts about what I'm doing.

"Then why are you still doing it?" I asked her. She just laughed darkly. I raised an eyebrow.

"Because... It's not my destiny." She then absently rubbed her but while looking down.

"My destiny is my bitch." She then gave me the 'really' look.

She sighed then answered, "Your not a pony. You wouldn't understand." She then looked away. "You should know by now that ponies destinies are set in stone." I frowned and looked at her.

"Your ass tattoo? Tell me... You used to be Fluttershy, right?" She then stared at me in shock. "Yes... A soul of a Gmoder fused with your body. This changed your Cutie Mark." She blinked in shock."

"How do you know that?" She glowered at me.

"My astral projection ability. I can see not one, but two souls in your body." I answered. Partially true, I can indeed see souls but it is taxing to use that ability. Also, I used to watch these YouTube videos that had the Elements of Insanity as the main characters.

"When you became flutterbat your Cutie Mark changed also." She just stared at me her mouth wide open.

"H-how did you know that?" She asked slowly." Crap. I got carried away again.

"I just know." I replied. She crossed her arms at that. I just ignored her and went on.

"Your Cutie Mark does not define who you are, it just represents your special talent. You are who you choose to be." I replied. "What is your Cutie Mark anyways?" I asked her.

She blinked then a devilish grin appeared on her face She suddenly stood up and tossed aside her dress.

Immediately my head smoked and I then covered my eyes. "W-what are you doing!? Put your clothes on!" I stammered. What is she doing!?

"What do you mean?" She asked me. "I'm just showing my Cutie Mark." She said innocently. "How can you see it if you're covering your eyes?" She deadpanned.

"Just tell me!" I shouted. "And put your clothes back on!" I quickly added.

She giggled and sighed. "You're kinda cute, you know that?" She said... Wait, what! Did she just call me cute?

"Huh?" I asked.

"Nothing!" She quickly replied. I heard some rustling then it stopped. I remained there with my eyes covered. "My Mark is three blood covered butterfly speakers." She clarified. "You can look now you know." She grumbled.

I then uncovered my eyes. She was standing in front of me. "I didn't expect you to react like that." She then laughed at me.

"Brutalight sent you here, right?" Does she want to mess with my head that bad?" I then shook my head. "I'm already crazy, please don't add anymore."

She looked offended by the question, to my surprise instead of bursting with anger she just sighed. "I came all the way here to visit you. Do you want me to leave?" She asked sadly. Crap. I feel guilty.

"Nononono! I didn't mean that! In fact, I'm lucky that such a beautiful mare has graced me with her presence." I hastily replied. She then smiled a little. I then scratched the back of my head. "But... We aren't exactly... On good terms... Or any terms for that matter... In fact, this is the second actual conversation I've had with one of you guys."

"Well... We were always to busy trying to kill you." She explained. "Sorry we didn't try to get know you better or take you out for lunch." She sarcastically replied with a roll of her eyes.

"Oh? I tried once, you know how well that went." I answered. It basically involved a misfortune of a thousand blades, a cliff and a pissed alicorn.

"Yes. Brutalight sent me here. Brutalight wanted to check if you're still alive." She clarified.

"Ah so she's concerned." I joked.

"Nope. She's very tempted to kill you right now." Yep. That sounds legit.

"So you're concerned?" I hopefully asked.

"Don't push your luck." She then pulled out a lunch box from the bag. "I brought you some lunch." She said. Lunch? I blinked and stared at the box. Her smile faded and was replaced by a frown when I didn't respond. For Fluttershout she's being very patient. Deciding not to ruin her good mood, I grabbed the box.

I then slowly opened it and... "Oatburgers and hayfries." I said as I looked at the contents. Can I actually eat hay? Fuck it! I'll find out... "Thanks!" She smiled and I took a bite out of the burger. "You're not hungry?" I asked after finishing the contents of my mouth.

"Not really..." She answered. I shrugged and returned to my meal. After a while I looked at her and saw her staring at me. I stared back and she said, "Go on, I'm not stopping you." I blinked continued eating. She's way calmer than depicted in the YouTube episodes...

I managed to finish the meal, yes, including the hayfries... My stomach didn't react violently... Yet.

I looked over to the pale yellow pegasus and wondered. If she is like this, are the other elements similar? Her current attitude might be a ploy to lead me into false security... But what if it isn't?

But if it is, what is the point? A distraction? I could not fight properly if I faced an friend turned enemy. Or an enemy turned friend but still enemy... Frenemy?

There is one last possibility but it is highly unlikely...

I should probably not think about, she's not trying to kill me and that's a good thing.

"Helloooooo~. Are you still there?" Huh? I blinked and saw that she was beside the bed. I must have zoned out.

"Eh? I must have been captivated by your beauty." I answered. She giggled and blushed a tiny bit. A lesson that I learned, a little flattery goes a long way.

Her expression then turned serious. "Next time we meet... We're enemies." Well that's a 180. I sighed. I wish I could help them. They aren't exactly redeemable though.

"Yeah, next time. You can prepare whatever scheme you have, I'll be ready." I responded. "But it doesn't have to be like this... You guys can still stop." I quickly continued.

She was about to reply but she was interrupted by a knock to the door. A voice then followed. "Hello? Nathan?" Then a certain lavender mare opened the door, she was followed by a frowning prismatic pegasus.

I looked over to Fluttershout. She froze with her eyes wide open. She then regained her bearings and frowned.

"Ah! Good day Twilight, Rainbow Dash. What brings you two here?" I inquired. Fluttershout just stared at them.

"The doctor said you're clear to go." Twilight said. "Who's your friend?" She then quickly asked. Uhh...

"Oh! How rude of me. Fluttershout, meet Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash. Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash, meet Fluttershout." I quickly introduced them.

Twilight stepped forward and offered her hand. "It's nice to meet you Fluttershout." Fluttershout just stared at the hand.

"Bye Nathan." She then walked around the lavender mare. "I'll see you around." As she exited the door she caught RD glaring at her, she responded with what I could assume was a short burst of the 'STARE'. The rainbow maned pegasus flinched.

As Fluttershout closed the door awkward moments of silence soon followed. I then got up and draped my coat over my shoulders, wore my gloves and secured my belongings.

"Sorry about that Twilight, she's just a bit grumpy." I apologized and faced her.

"Why... Is she like that...?" She asked slowly. I also noticed RD was staring at a certain pale yellow pegasus through the window.

I thought for a moment then answered. "Something bad happened to her, she was never the same afterwards." I replied truthfully. "Let's go Twilight." I then walked towards the door. Followed by the two mares.

I paid for the hospital bill and we exited the hospital. Our trip was uneventful and silent. I guess rd was still trying to wrap her head around that encounter.

As we walked through the town some ponies took glances at me then continued with their business, others stared at me. And the three flower ponies- just like in the show- fainted after saying, 'the horror, the horror!'.

"So... Where are we headed?" I asked Twilight. I have a good idea of where this goes due to having read a good number of HIE fics back home.

"We're headed to Rarity's to get you some clothes." Yep. Clothes.

"But I don't need new clothes." I argued.

"No offense but, your clothes have lots of holes in them." She countered.

"*Sigh.* Okay Mrs. Sparkle..." I answered like a young kid. As Twilight was going to retort we found ourselves in front of Rarity's Boutique. "Is this the place?" I asked.

"Hey Twi, I gotta go." Rd said. She then turned to me. "And you better not pull something off." And with that warning she dashed away. Oooh! I'm shaking in my metal boots!

"So here we are!" She declared as she went in. I looked around the room. It was filled with various outfits. (which I have no idea if fashionable or not because that's not really my thing.) No one was currently browsing.

A few moments later the fashionista came in. "Welcome to the Carousel Boutique. Where everything is chic... Oh! Hello Twilight, and Nathaniel..." Ok here it comes. "My goodness Nathaniel! Your clothes!" The fashionista shouted in horror. Didn't she see my clothes yesterday?

"I know, but this is the only set I have." The only set that's left.

"Nononono that won't do." She replied while walking over. She then went behind me and started to push me. "You need new clothes darling. We'll have to get your measurements." She's strong for a unicorn...

"Umm... Twilight." I turned my neck to the lavender mare and gave her the 'pls save me' look. She simply blinked. I think that means... Lol! Nope! You're on your own. "HEEEEEEELP! I plead you! Liberate me from the clutches of the alabaster mare!"

Twilight simply giggled at my antics. "Oh hush you. It's not as bad as you put it." Rarity chided

"You know, it's kinda hard to believe you were a soldier." Twilight stated as we entered another room.

I raised an eyebrow at this. "Oh, and what do you think and ex soldier should act like?" I asked Twilight.

"Well... I think a soldier would be more careful and serious." Really. Your brother is the captain of the Royal Guard. But I've never met Shining so I don't know for sure.

"Sorry to disappoint mam." I replied. I then turned to Rarity. "Do I have to take my shirt off?" I asked Rarity.

"Yes darling, those clothes look dreadful. Plus also your pants, I can't properly get your measurements because your pants are baggy." She insisted.

I sighed and handed her my coat. She then levitated it over to a rack. As my shirt came off the girls gasped. My whole body was covered with scars.

"W-what happened to you?" Twilight shakily asked. I'm surprised Rarity hasn't fainted. "Where did you get all of those scars?"

"I was young, young and stupid. I still am." I said as I proceeded to take off my boots.

"H-how did you survive all of that?" Twilight asked some more.

"I dunno." I flatly replied. "Questions later? I'm kinda busy." I told Twilight, she doesn't look like she's gonna drop the subject anytime soon. "And I don't really want to talk about it, it's... A kinda sensitive topic." I said as I touched my shades.

"Oh..." She then looked down. "I'll be outside." She then went out. I'm such an idiot. I then removed my pants leaving me with my boxers and shades. To be honest... This is the only pair I ever had. I have to wash them every night.

"Umm... Darling? Can you take your shades off? You're... Not blind aren't you?" She asked me.

"Nope. But my eyes are very sensitive to any kind of light." I explained as she grabbed a measuring tape with her magic. One of the many good things about my magic. I don't get easily cold.

For some reason Rarity then took my measurements with her hands. She also touched my body all over, I was kinda uneasy about it honestly but I just let it roll. She also found out I have wings. She also asked a few questions about my clothing preference.

Afterwards I just hanged around in the boutique. I was donning a red sleeveless shirt and a pair of brown baggy pants ( With many zippers and pockets. Much to Rarity's dismay.) And a pair of sandals. Rarity promised to patch up my beloved coat and to make me a few set of clothes.

During my time at the boutique I felt like I was being watched by somepony, not the 'Oh look what is it?' look but something else. A cream colored mare with a pink and dark blue mane, a background pony named bon bon if I'm not mistaken.

She was donning a pair of shades and holding a magazine. Really? In my opinion that's cliché, I then waved at her. She flinched then waved back slowly. She then stayed for a while before leaving.

If she's actually a secret agent I'm utterly disappointed. Never mind that anyways... Where's Twilight? She said she'll come back in a bit.

Bored, I snapped my fingers and a banana materialized in mid air. Grab, peel, eat. As I ate the fruit I turned my neck to a stunned Rarity.

"Did you see that?" I asked her. I then mentally kicked myself, of course she did you idiot!

"H-how... Did you do that?" She asked slowly.

"Magic." I simply replied. I then finished the banana and focused my Chaos magic on it. As I opened my hands the peel was no more, in its place was a small porcelain figure of Rarity. I stood up and handed it to her. "Thanks for the clothes Rarity."

"Wow... It's beautiful... Why thank you Nathaniel. Do you like the clothes I made?" She marveled at the figurine then asked, effectively forgetting the 'fuck reality' powers

"Why of course! Thanks again, how much anyways?" I then dug into my pocket for money.

"No need darling, consider it a gift." She said dismissively. "So, are you staying in Ponyville?" She then asked.

Uhhh... Making excuse.

"Yes, I planned to come and see the Summer sun Celebration. I was then going to settle down in Ponyville." I let out a half truth. "But some... Unexpected detours..."

"Ah. Hmmm... You don't really look like twenty two. You look younger than your age." She commented. "And so handsome..." She muttered. Wait. What?

"Huh?"

"Oh, nothing darling." She dismissed with a wave of her hand.

Fate this time intervened, as the door opened. "Hi Twilight." I greeted as the said mare came in.

"Hi Nathan. I'm headed to Sugarcube Corner, do you guys want to come with me? They have great muffins." She asked. That was somewhat subtle.

"Of course darling." Rarity replied.

"I am kinda hungry, sure." I then followed the two mares towards the confectionery.

The two girls walked beside each other chatting to each other, I didn't really pay attention to what they were saying. I was actually more concerned that something isn't trying to kill me. The streets were barren, void of any signs of ponies.

I looked at the sky and the sun was beginning to set... I always wondered. Why didn't Starswirl create a spell that makes the celestial bodies go on autopilot?

"So here we are!" Twilight proclaimed as we reached the gingerbread house, or store. That was a fast trip. This is one of the questions I have always wanted to ask.

"Is it edible?" I asked. Pointing at the gingerbread structure.

"Huh?"

"The giant gingerbread house." I clarified.

"Umm... Yes but I don't think that's allowed." She answered.

"Oh. Okay." I said sadly. I then pushed the doors open entering the inky darkness. I have night vision, I can see everypony just like in clear daylight. I rolled my eyes and went along with it anyways. "Why is it so..."

"SURPRISE!!!" All of the ponies jumped out and shouted as the lights came on. Followed by a few gasps and a few thumps followed by 'The horror the horror!'.

Pinkie poofed right in front. "Were you surprise, huh, huh, HUH?!" She shouted.

Honestly... No. "Yep. I didn't really expect a welcoming party. You just met me." I said. "What if I was a bad person, or a fillyfooler, or worse, a monster."

Apparently, the party goers have overcome their initial state of shock and and began to mingle with each other... Why do I use these kinds of words today?

She just giggled. "Oh you silly Natey." Natey? "But you're not! We have known each other for weeks!" She punctuated her words by putting her arm around me. "Plus, you should go and make friends!" With that statement she pushed me into the crowd.

I was caught of guard and I stumbled, tripped and somehow landed in a chair. "Ow!" I grumbled then rubbed the back of my head.

I then turned my neck and found out I was seated beside a certain ash grey mare with a black mane. She was wearing an elegant black dress accompanied by wide eyes, probably startled.

"Good evening, my name is Nathan, miss..."

She blinked then composed herself. "Oh, my name is Octavia, Octavia Melody." She then offered her hand, I shook it in return.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Octavia." I replied in return.

"So Nathan, how are you enjoying your stay in Ponyville, so far?" The charcoal maned mare asked.

"It is quite a nice town. I've been traveling for some time, and I've decided to settle down." I replied. How come I'm getting better at lying? "The ponies here are quite accepting..." I said. I then looked to three certain mares being carried out. "Some I guess..." I muttered under my breath.

As she was about to answer, my stomach rumbled. She giggled then said, "Oh my. It looks like you have... Other matters to attend to." She joked. I hope it's not about the hay I ate...

I let out a chuckle of my own, "Indeed... It was a pleasure meeting you Octavia."

"And I as well." She replied. I then nodded and got up. Good thing I was thought to deal with nobles, and for some reason I enjoy speaking like that.

As I made my way to the table full of food and drinks, I saw a black pegasus stallion stealing glances at a white pegasus mare with a pink and green mane. Thunderlane and Blossomforth.

Stomach. Wait. I devilish smile appeared on my face and I approached the black pegasus. I conjured a bunch of red roses and handed it to him. He looked at me with a confused expression. I shrugged and made him spin like a top.

I then stopped him and made him face the white mare. I then lightly tapped the mare's shoulder. I walked away and gave him a thumbs up. What can I say? I'm in that kind of mood.

I made my way to the snack table and grabbed a cupcake. I then smiled as I looked at the pair. Blossomforth and Thunderlane both sported blushes as they talked to each other. I took a bite out of the cupcake and sighed.

I then saw... Did that just happen? Yes, I saw Derpy dip her face in the chocolate fountain. As she pulled away and licked her muzzle she stared at me.

I wonder if it was just a trick of light or what but... Time seemed to slow down as I saw the fire in her eyes, the eyes of a veteran. Then her eyes went out of focus.

I shook my head and blinked. Somehow I feel like I'm being watched... And no, not the 'Look mommy it's a big hairless monkey!' kind. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

She then approached me while wiping the rich chocolate off her muzzle. "Hi! I'm Derpy!" She happily greeted.

I blinked then introduced myself. "And I'm Nathan." I gave her a smile. Oh I forgot, my teeth. She didn't look intimidated though...

One of her eyes went to the side. She then tapped the side of her head and her eyes went back in focus. She probably thought I was staring at her eyes, she frowned as she looked down.

"Your eyes."

"Huh? Oh yeah, my eyes..." She said sadly. "I had this eye condition since I was young..." If I mastered my Chaos magic I could correct it...

"I think they make you look cute." I complimented without thinking. She then immediately looked up and blushed lightly.

"R-really?"

"I think... I think they make you unique. You shouldn't be ashamed of it, in fact be proud of it." I said. Reminiscing that I was always a bit of a black sheep before I came to Equestria... And I still am.

She then smiled brightly. "T-thank you!" She beamed.

"No problem. Have a good time!" I said as I grabbed a few cupcakes. I then waved and walked away. Oh! Muffin. "Muffin." I said as I returned to grab a muffin.

Well I don't think Derpy would be a secret agent, the idea... "Ooof!" My train of thought was interrupted by bumping into someone.

I extended my hand and caught whoever I bumped into. To my horror, I caught a certain mint colored unicorn. I then pulled her to her hooves.

"I'm sorry, are you alright?" I asked her. She just stared at me dreamily. Ok what the fuck. Aside from being creeped out... Did I just see flowers butterflies and tiny hearts radiating from her? And her eyes are heart shaped.

"I'm L-Lyra... What's your name?" She asked. She was wearing a jean skirt and a white shirt with pink stripes. "Wow... A real human..." She then dreamily sighed.

"I'm Nathan." I simply said. "Oh, and I'm not human." I quickly followed up. I could swear I heard a turntable scratch. Well theoretically not human.

"Eh!?! But the skin! The feet! Smaller eyes! Canines!" She sputtered. I then spread my wings halfway. Her expression then was shocked, annoyed and disappointed, in that particular order.

I smiled as I tucked my wings away. "If it's any consolation, I used to be human." I said. At my words her eyes sparkled again. "And I can tell you about humans at a later date." I added.

"Really!?" She bursted out as she got a little too close. She was leaning forward and her muzzle was inches from my face. She realized this and she backed away blushing furiously. "Wait!? A d-date!?" Seriously? Not that kind! Okaaaaaay I'm out of here.

I just blinked at her as steam literally came from her head and her face turned pink from mint green. Is it just me or God watches too much anime? I wondered as I escaped.

Cupcakes... I dropped them... My stomach then rumbled again. "*Sigh.* Damnit." I need food. I then began to make my way towards the snack table.

I began to stuff my face with cupcakes and cookies, I then washed it down with some punch. God, I've missed all of these stuff... I then wiped my face with a handkerchief I conjured. I then turned said handkerchief into a wafer and ate it.

What? I don't waste magic. I then turned to see Twilight staring at me. "Did you just...?" She blinked then shook her head. "I was probably just seeing things." She muttered as her hand met her face.

"Yeah, you did Twilight." I answered. I do not want an early Lesson Zero."Just eat something, there is a lot of food over there." I said as I gestured to the snack table. Nor do I want to be strapped to a machine in Twilight's basement.

"Sure but first somepony wants to talk to you." She said. Somepony? Who would want to see me? I shrugged and followed her.

I made my way through the crowd and noticed some ponies were crowding around something. They parted as I came through.

I was greeted by the sight of a certain white alicorn with a rainbow mane. She wore a gentle smile as she greeted the ponies of the room. "Hello my little ponies."

Why does fate love to fuck with me?

Author's Note:

Hello shattered_sky here again!

Updates will probably be less frequent. My mother, though thrilled by the idea her son is a 'writer' wants me to do something 'productive' in my life. That and I do not have a computer.

About how Nathan speaks in this chapter... I have no idea how that happened...
EDIT: I am a idiot.