• Published 26th Aug 2015
  • 4,542 Views, 100 Comments

Flame of Courage. - shattered_sky



(rewitten)Nathan your average brony who wants to escape his monotonous life. He finds a mysterious website which grants his wish. To enter a land of friendship and magic, a chance to be a hero, he fucks up. He will embark on a journey for redemption

  • ...
26
 100
 4,542

Chapter 2: Freaks, a Dragon and the Cliff(rewritten)

CHAPTER 2: FREAKS, A DRAGON AND THE CLIFF

----POV: JARED----

'Soooooo...' I'm not in the mood for your crap Discord.

'What now discord? I'm trying to sleep.' I answered anyways.

'These pony freaks you talk of... Are free?'

'Yes!'

'The 6 wonderful mares who assisted you in almost defeating Nathan and mooncheeks and sunbutt combined?

'Yes!'

'The, Elements of Insanity?

'For the one thousandth time. YES!' My god! He's annoying!

'Wonderful! We are good as free! All we need is a beacon!' Discord proclaimed. 'Oh and I only asked nine hundred fifty two times but only 3 on screen...' Huh?

He has no idea... 'No! I'm good as dead!' I mentally yelled. 'They don't take kindly to the fact that I manipulated them using my magic! Without my gauntlet I have no control over them! At least I put that seal...'

'Ooooh what kind?'

'A very complex fate sharing spell... If one of the freaks die they all die and the seal is shared by Nathan also. But it also works if one of them is freed all of them are freed including Nathan!'

Discord remained silent so I continued. 'I am merely gambling on the fact that they will try and kill him first. If they decide to kill me first it's game over for me! He's almost a fucking saint, he won't kill them, he will just subdue them... Unless... They push him two hard... That is also the reason when Nathan was imprisoned the freaks turned to stone too.'

I paused for a moment... Wait Discord left my mind... Nevermind, I'm glad that nutcase is out of my head.

I need to get my gauntlet back, without it I have no magic, once I get it back I have control over the pony freaks again. Discord won't let me rule Equestria so I need to find Discord's weakness so that l can kill him or drain his power.

I also need to identify the new element bearers and kill at least one of them, and maybe destroy the Elements if possible. The Crystal Heart would be big boost to my power but unfortunately the Crystal Empire disappeared. That idiot Sombra... The Alicorn amulet's whereabouts is unknown.

I will kill Celestia because she is stronger, wait no. Luna may not submit to me, Celestia would think of the safety of her little horses first. I don't think I can torture out of them the spell to raise the sun and moon.

As for Nathan if he dies at the hands of the freaks or mine it matters not. I can replace the freaks easily, so it doesn't matter if he dies now or later, though it is preferable if I could make him suffer myself.

I wonder what kind of ponies the bearers are. Are they warriors? Are they alicorns? Celestia may be a fool but she wouldn't entrust the Elements to normal ponies...

----POV: NATHAN----

"Uggghhh... Damn, that was the crappiest sleep I've ever had." I woke up on the same cold cobblestone floor I collapsed on.Guess I need to train soon... Well time to get moving.

With a grunt I stood up and started stretching. Pops and cracks resounded from the neglected joints. I then scratched my nose. "Damn that feels better." I guess I actually learned something. Boredom has to be weaponized because it can kill somebody in it's raw form. I then chuckled and made my way out of the basement.

I'd never thought that a person could miss the simple things of life...

As I stepped out of the castle I took in the fresh air. The air never smelled sweeter. I then broke into a sprint and rolled around in the grass. As I lay on my back I was waving my arms and legs like I was making a snow angel. I then looked at the sun. "Huh? Its noon. How long have I been out?"

I then got up and shook the grass off me. I then realized where I am.

....

The Everfree Forest.

"Meh. Nevermind."

To those who wonder why my actual appearance does not match my astral form I have no idea. Well... My astral form looks like my original body.

I removed my helmet and stroked my crimson hair with my free left hand. I was wearing my cobalt gloves and a black coat, under my coat is a purple and gold chestplate, signature colors of the captain of the guard. I was wearing black pants and a pair of boots. I touched my shades then looked at the surrounding forest.

What do I do now? What if my powers act up? What if Celly immediately blasts me? Or the elements blast me? I never thought that I'd actually reach this point...

Nevermind.

I'll just wing it, hehe wing it... I then flared my wings, to be honest, I almost forgot I even have wings. I then put away my wings.

I heard gunshots coming from deeper within the Everfree. I assumed a battle stance and covered my forearms with flames. Three manticores came running out. "Bring it!" I shouted. The three manticores simply ignored me and continued to run in terror. Who could have spooked them?

--POV: RAINBINE--

"Ughh... This is boring!" I groaned as I shot another timberwolf. These things are soooo weak. I'd rather be back at Teufort. The other freaks are actually a challenge. "I'm gonna kill that bastard."

"But why Brutalight sent only the two of us? Applepills asked.

"Because I'm that awesome! And besides, Brutalight said that Nathan is weak right now!"

"I don't know Rainbine... He beat all six of us at once." Applepills said in a dull tone as she punched a timberwolf.

I turned around and glared at Applepills. I. Don't. Lose. "Beat us? He got lucky! Plus I was totally holding back on him." Its not boasting if its true. I could totally take him on by myself.

Applepills suddenly lunged forward... "What the!" I blocked but no punch came. I turned around and saw that she punched a manticore.

"Your all hat and no cattle." What's that supposed to mean!? She then gestured to the manticore. "All yours partner ." I glared at Applepills and shot the manticore several times without looking, the three other manticores went off running.

"I saw that coming..." Well I do have proximity sensors.

She just rolled her eyes and continued walking. I then heard a familiar voice. "Bring it!" Oh that bastard. He's good as dead.

"Applepills. Wait here. I'm gonna get that fucker..." I said.

"Are you pilsy, I mean CRAZY!?" Applepills shouted.

"Nah. Just watch, I'm gonna, tear that bastard apart." That flaming piece of shit stands no chance against me.

Applepills just shrugged and said. "I'll just hang back. But the moment you have a hard time am stepping in." I then headed over to a bunch of bushes.

"He's just like a sitting duck..." I wispered. I then leveled my shotgun arm at him. After this fucker is dead, I'm going after Jared. I then fired three shots.

----POV: NATHAN----

I was standing there waiting for someone to come out. I only know two persons err... Ponies who uses guns... I heard someone but I couldn't make out the words... I instinctively thrust my left hand forward and let out a stream of flames. Three bullets came out and were immediately turned into slag.

Whew that was close. I then shouted... "Are you coming out or do I have to ask a pile of ashes!?" I'm mostly bark. But my teeth are sharp too. Usually all I need is to cover myself in flames and they run fast enough to put sonic to shame.

Probably its just an old Lady with a shotgun.

I then heard a mechanical distorted laughter.

Fate... Why you u know shitten me?

A pale cyan pegasus with a pale rainbow messy mane stepped out of the bushes. She was wearing some kind of sleeveless armour highlighted with neon green lines, her legs were also covered in the same armour. Her cutie mark was emblazoned on her thighs. She was wearing a weird set of earpieces. She was grinning at me manically.

Rainbine...

"Hey you fricken moron! Did ya miss me!" She shouted. Oh fuck. I'm not 100% yet... "What!? Have you gone fricken mute!?" She's like the thing that wouldn't shut up.

I said nothing and started to walk away. *BANG*. A shot was fired just in front of my feet. I glanced at my feet then I moved my glance over to a pissed looking cyborg. "Where do you think your going you freaking moron!" Her right arm morphed into a weird looking shotgun. "Do you even have the balls to fight me!?" Looks like she picked the hard way...

I faced her and she had a smug looking grin on her face. I smiled back then hurled a medium sized fireball at her.

She flew away from the blast effectively dodging it. I then let out a stream of fire to intercept her. She's fast. She managed to avoid the stream and she landed a good distance away from me. "Come on! Is that all you got!? " She then leveled her gun towards me. "If that's all you got your fucking dead!"

"There's more from where that came from skittles!" I then shouted. "Stop swearing too much! This is rated T only!" I shouted.

"Huh?" Hehehe

She was confused for a moment. I Then ran towards her. She managed to regain her composure and started firing at me. I was dodging each shot she fired at me but a few shots hit my chestplate and one grazed my neck. Damn I'm rusty.

I then threw a left hook at her which she blocked, she then did a sweep to try and knock me down. I jumped and kicked her in the chin, she staggered back from the force of the blow. I then landed on my feet and aimed a haymaker at her face, I shouted...
"ROKURU KABUTO! BURST!" She got knocked back a nice distance, she then returned to her feet.

"Come on is..." She didn't finish her sentence as I delivered a flaming punch to her stomach followed up by a flaming uppercut.

"SHURYOKEN!" Damn I always wanted to say that. My uppercut launched her into the air I then flew above her and delivered a fire powered axe kick which sent her back to earth.(Terra?) Forming a small crater. I then blasted her with a giant fire ball

I then landed in front of the crater. I then slowly walked over to Rainbine. "Ugghh..." Huh? That's all? Maybe because they just woke up too. She then tried to get up. "Y-you bastard... I'm gonna Kill you." She was sparking all over as she spoke.

I then touched her muzzle with my index finger. "Boop!" I said cheerfully. She scrunched her muzzle then glared at me "Yo Rainbine, I'm going now! I need to grab some grub. Chow!" I then ran off to search for food. I only made it a few meters then something kicked me in the stomach.

It felt like a truck hit me... I was sent flying but I managed regain my control by flaring my wings. I then hovered for a while before landing on the ground. I then looked at my assailant.

She was an earth pony, she had a tan coat and a black mane in a ponytail. She was wearing black boots, dark jeans a black sleeveless jacket over a white T-shirt, around her neck was a red bandanna.

Great Rainbine, now Applepills. Fate really hates me.

"Hey there partner! Wha cha doing." I drawled in an attempt to imitate her accent.

She still held her dull expression and spoke. "Don't mock me." I wouldn't try too. She's kinda like hulk but weaker, and without a healing factor.

"So your here to kill me too?" I asked even though I know the answer.

"Eeeeyup." She said plainly.

I shrugged and said... "Okay..." I then pointed and yelled. "PILLS!"

She then looked around frantically. "Where!? Where!?" I then dashed towards her, blazing.

"In your face!" I then unleashed a haymaker to her face. She took a swing and I ducked. I then punched her stomach a few times. She brought up her arms and delivered down to earth in an attempt to crush me. I rolled out of the way and tried to knock her off her hooves. My sweep was just shrugged off. She's like a fricken juggernaut.

She then grabbed be by the back of my neck and my back. She then tossed me into a tree. Impressive distance. "Ow!" The tree then creaked and fell on top of me. "Ouch! Benny... Bobby..." I groaned in pain. "Ugghh... Nathan Junior..." It doesn't take a genius to know...

Applepills' glare turned into a look of confusion then shifted into wide eyed realization.

Rainbine on the other hand was laughing. "*Bzzzzt* HAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh fuck! Hahahaha! *coughing* That's hilarious!"

Applepills started laughing too.

Chance! I ignored the pain and lifted the fallen tree with a grunt. I let out high powered jets of fire from my elbows. I then tossed the fallen tree at Applepills.

"Ooof!"

I fist pumped and shouted. "Direeeeeeect! Hit!" Well, my victory was short lived. She groaned and got up. I took a few steps back then tripped on the tree trunk and fell on my back.

She then glared at me and gritted her teeth. Oh fuck. She then rushed over and tried to stomp on me in a attempt to crush me. She missed but barely. If it was a little higher... "Do you really want to end my family line!?" I shouted. She then grabbed my head with her hands and lifted me off the ground.

She started crushing my head. "Owowowow! My head!" She only responded by crushing my head harder. My helmet is enchanted but it can only take so much damage. I began repeatedly punching her face to get out. It was futile. Hope this works. I booped her muzzle and yelled cheerfully. "Boop!" She dropped me and her muzzle scrunched.

My arms blazed from red flames to purple flames. I then let out giant fist shaped blasts of fire. "Purple punch!" I know not the coolest name but it works. She was sent flying through several trees. "Homerun! New York Yankees! Ugghh... That hurts..." I hope I'm not that beat up. I was clutching my stomach and my head.

I walked over to Rainbine, she was still conscious. "So... How are you doing?" I asked as I bent down. She responded by spitting on my face. I wiped the saliva mixed with blood off my face.

"*Bzzzzt* Go... To... Hell.. *Bzzzt*" She has no idea...

Heh. I've been in Tartarus before. I stood up and answered. "I've been in Tartarus and forced my way out." I aimed my hand at her and blasted her in the face with purple flame. I didn't kill her I merely knocked her out. I grabbed her by her left hoof and dragged her out of the crater.

I dropped her then I proceeded to the place Applepills crashed. She crashed through several trees before stopping. I knelt down and felt her pulse. "...." She's just unconscious. I dragged her over to where I dropped Rainbine. I sat down in front of the two freaks.

I should take my helmet off. I grabbed my helmet and tried to take it off. Hey! Its not budging! I grabbed my helmet and tried to pry it off. "Come! On!" I set my hands ablaze and tore the helmet in half. I then tossed the offending piece of metal as far as I could.

So let's think about this...

So the Elements of Insanity are awake, but I don't remember them being captured, maybe after I was imprisoned Tia caught them...

But the elements should have purged the spirits that possessed the Alt mane six. Maybe it's the same when Tia used them on NMN, instead of separating Luna and Moony they got banished to the moon.

Brutalight underestimates me too much, I'm good at combat yet she sends two combatants instead... Maybe she's just weakening me, but Pinkis has self uber charge, she would make a better choice.

CBS(Christian Brutal Sniper) is the dominant personality in Brutalight, but it is safe to assume that she has Twilight's intelligence...

Yep she underestimated me. And I thought Celly had military blunders...

So what should I do to these two?

--10 minutes later--

I made thick chains using my Chaos magic, I then bound them upside down somewhere in the Castle of the two Sisters. I then created a safe and put a bottle of pills in it, I then put a sign with pills written on it. As much as I want to see Applepills go berserk over a bottle of pills I better get out before they wake up.

After walking for a bit a I felt dizzy, I staggered then fell on my knees. My stomach then growled at me. *grumble* I guess the only thing that was keeping me going is the magic I gained. l have to find food soon.

I got back up on my feet shakily and continued walking. As I exited the castle I looked at the green grass. I wonder how grass tastes? I bent down and grabbed a fistfull of grass. I then shoved it into my mouth. "Hmmm... *munch munch munch* bland. But surprisingly edible." Wait why am I eating grass? I then spit out the grass, how hard did I hit my head?

I continued walking until I came across a lake. I knelt down and washed my bloody face with the crystal clear water.

That fight took a lot out of me... I'm gonna need to train, it's been more than a millennium since I last fought.

I then checked myself for injuries. I lost some of my pride and almost lost the thing that makes me a man. I have a graze on my neck, my head feels like it was crushed by Celestia's weight .

My back is very sore, possibly my spine is a bit off. My right arm is dislocated.

I then removed my coat, I removed my armour and T-shirt I then checked my body, chest okay, abs... "Ow." I bruised my ribs... At least my ribs aren't broken. Without the armour I might have got hurt badly...

I took off my boots and leapt into the lake. As I floated I started thinking, a lot of things don't make sense...

I closed my eyes and thought about things.

If Discord can enter astral form and brainwash people, why hasn't he? Or why didn't he find someone to free him?

If the Elements of insanity are free, why hasn't Jared appear yet? He would like to kill me personally... The freaks are probably not under his control, which means he isn't freed yet.

Celestia probably doesn't know I escaped yet... Luna for some reason hasn't entered my dreams. Which means I have a month at most, but a few days at least before they know I'm gone.

Let's sum this up. So Jared is out of the picture. Luna and Celestia do not know that I'm free. The Elements of Insanity are hunting me. I should make the first move, If I can gain the trust of at least one of the mane six, Celestia would deem me as tolerable. But it would take a while to get her complete trust back. Brutalight must have set her eyes on the bearers already. There is also the fact that Discord might mix things up...

I'm worried that all of them might attack the same time. I can't beat them easily without other
casualties or killing them. Fuck collateral damage.

I then opened my eyes and looked at the sky.

Maybe I should go on a well deserved vacation after things calm down.

Or maybe settle down. I'm good at drawing, I can also make good cheesecake, probably even join the wonderbolts if I'm allowed too. I'm theoretically a citizen. I'm done with the military, to many rules.

If I ever get out of this mess.

My old enemies might resurface anytime...

*Grumble*

Food first, contemplate on life, the universe, and cupcakes later.

I made my way out of the water and set my self ablaze to dry off. I then put on my clothes. I should start fishing before it gets dark.

After making a campfire. Collecting a bunch of sticks and a long one and sharpening them. I'm ready to go fishing.

"Let ze fishing commence!"

---An hour later---

I was happily munching on the fish I caught, I caught plenty actually. What does a manticore taste like anyways? I stopped munching and thought about it. "Hmm... Probably like chicken." I then continued munching.

I then heard some rustling in the bushes. They're awake already? I got up and assumed my battle stance. "Hey! Ready for round two?!" I shouted. I formed a fireball in my left hand, ready chuck it at the bitches. Something came out of the bushes.

A... Bear?

A brown grizzly bear came out. Oooh maybe it's Harry! Flutter's pet bear. A normal person would run but I'm no normal person. "Sooo... I take it your Harry?" The bear in question was sniffing the air. He then glanced at the pile of raw fish. He groaned at me.

So I take it he's hungry. "Here you go big guy." I said as I set aside a pile of fish. He groaned and dug in the pile of fish. After eating our respective meals I gave my leftovers to the bear. He then lay down and I used him as a big pillow afterwards. For a bear he's very tame I guess he really is Flutter's bear.

After lying down for a bit I got up and started wandering around, leaving behind a sleeping bear. I wonder where Zecora's... "Whoa!" I tripped on a rock and fell off a cliff. (Where did the cliff come from?) "Oof! Ow! How!? Tall!? Is!? This!? Cliff... *groans*." I said as I rolled down the said cliff. I soon found myself lying down face first in the dirt.

I slowly got up and found myself in front of a cave. Hmm... Dark cave with possible danger and/or unspeakable horrors or maybe mountains of treasure. "Sounds good to me!" Smiling broadly I entered the cave.

As I progressed it became darker and darker, I took off my shades and continued walking, night vision comes in handy at times. I came across a large room filled with... All sort of gems, pearls, gold and various treasures.

I took a handful of gems and shoved it in my pockets. Ooooh a long sword. This would look good on a wall but better by my side. I picked the sword up and examined it.

The sheath was black and highlighted with gold. The hilt of the sword is gold and encrusted with a emerald. I took off the sheath and examined the blade itself, it looks like a plain blade to the untrained eye but it is forged by a master, I also felt enchantments but as for now I cannot identify them...

Something feels off... I sheathed the sword and clipped it to my belt. Wait. Pile of treasure? Dark cave away from civilization? Oh fuck...

This is a dragon's hoard...

I turned around and looked up. And I saw slenderman! Nah. I saw a green dragon whose nostrils were smoking. "Hello there my big scaly friend. How does life fare thee." I said in an attempt to diffuse the situation.

The dragon replied. "You dare steal from me!?" He (I assumed) then blew smoke from his nostrils in my face. "YOU DARE STEAL FROM ME, EVERGREEN!? PONY!" Hehehe that name! I managed not to laugh.

"My huge friend, that's..." I then gestured with my left hand as if I was thinking of what to say "...Racism err... A speciest... And to your question... Yeah!" He let out a roar and raised a claw. "Let us settle this like gentlemen!" I said while cracking my knuckles.

The dragon brought down its right claw and I merely rolled out of the way. It then swung its left claw at me, I ducked out of the way. I then blasted it with a huge fireball. Dragons are actually fire resistant when it comes to magic flame. The blast knocked the green dragon back. Why does this seem so familiar... I flew up and then let out a flurry of purple fist shaped blasts. "One thousand punches!" I shouted.

"ENOUGH!" The dragon bellowed. He then let out a stream of fire at me. I extended my left arm controlled the flames. Let's just say I did fancy movements and the flames danced at my will. I then wrapped myself in the flames and slowly descended in front of the dragon.

The dragon's jaw dropped and his eyes widened. He then babbled something. "Fos los hi!?" I raised an eyebrow at this. Dovahzul? The dragon language in Skyrim? All of the dragons I met either have a translator talisman or speak english. "Nid... Nid! Nid! Nid! Nid hi los nunon zoor. Hi los dovah kriid!" I only picked out the words no (nid), dragon (dovah) and you (hi).

"Lost aaz nau zey!" Shit, just shut up I don't understand half of what your saying. He was about to ramble some more so I cut him off.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU OVERGROWN LIZARD!" He then cowered in fear. "Speak in Equestrian!"

"Oh dragon slayer have mercy on me! Forgive me for my boldness! Do not kill me!" Heh. At least the dragons still remember me. The dragon then pushed a large amount of his hoard in front of me. "Take as much as you want! Just spare my life!" Tempting... I'll take another handful.

"Thanks. Just another handful." I then grabbed another handful of treasure. "Oh. I decided not to kill you. Just don't threaten any ponies." He then nodded rapidly in understanding. "But." He tensed as I spoke. I then flew on top of his snout and spoke."Your life is mine. You will stay here until I summon you in future battles."

"Yes master." Yay! I have a dragon! He might come in handy. "I will serve you until the day I die." Or until you save my ass, *sigh* Dragon code... How exactly did I save this guy's life anyways?

Hmmm... My reputation is worse than I thought. People remembered me as a mass murderer and a monster.

"Soooo... Uhh... Just carry on and I'll be on my way." He's like a frightened child not a fearsome dragon. Man this is ackward. I then turned my back and walked out of the cave.

What the hell just happened?

As I neared the exit I put on my shades back on. "Hmm... How am I going to get back to that lake?" I asked myself. Damn I'm hungry again. I looked at the sky and saw that the sun was starting to set. I also need to find shelter, why did I leave those two at the castle?

I started walking through the forest. So many questions yet the answers are never near. So many things are beyond me.

But fuck it! I'm awesome.

I know one thing though. Fate will smile at me one day. Things will get better.

Author's Note:

I do not own the Elements of Insanity. They are the awesome creation of the Inverted Shawdow.