• Published 23rd Aug 2015
  • 16,575 Views, 1,164 Comments

Fellowship is Magic - Mr-War



Something strange is happening in Twilight's palace. The magic mirror has started acting strangely during a period of intense solar flares, leaving her worried about what complications might occur. The next thing she knows, through a sequence of even

  • ...
23
 1,164
 16,575

The Prancing Pony

The Prancing Pony

The company stayed two days with Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, mostly out of his insistence that they do so. But finally the day came when they had to leave, and set out on their journey again, as they had an appointment to keep.

Tom was kind enough to let the group borrow the four ponies and four horses he had in his care, although Twilight had seen no evidence of other equines being present during their stay, and couldn't help but wonder where he'd procured them. As she understood it, the ponies were for carrying the four hobbits, and the horses for their heavy packs, much to the relief of the group.

Out of the group, Merry and Pippin were the ones that didn't really know how to ride a pony, but it was easy enough with Tom Bombadil's provided steeds. They were slow, and obeyed Tom's orders in a way that allowed for quick and effective learning.

They still had their packs from the Shire filled with food and necessities, and Tom was kind enough to provide the group with some extra food to add to their packs, though he would only laugh when they asked why he had so much food in his house, that could be so freely given away. And getting anything like a straight answer out of him didn't look like it was going to be all that simple.

As they stood outside his home, thanking the couple many times, Tom Bombadil gave them one last bit of advice before they set out on their journey again.

"Now, you need to stay away from the hills; barrow-wights live within them. Horrible creatures they are, not worth dealing with. When you reach the road, send the horses and ponies loose. They might not have the same intelligence as you, but they'll know how to find me nonetheless. You must be at the road by sundown; you do not want to be in the Barrow-downs at nightfall, not at all! It is very foggy and this is when the barrow-wights come out. When you reach Bree, do as the wizard told you; you should be safe at The Prancing Pony. Butterbur is a respectable man, means well. Be careful, and farewell! May we meet again!"

With that, Tom turned around, singing to himself, and waved one last farewell. The rest waved to him in turn, and the group trotted away.


The rest of the day passed with little event. The group stopped once at noon for a quick lunch -much to the chagrin of Merry and Pippin- but soon started again. The hobbits had more or less fallen asleep on their lent mounts for a time, but the others woke them with little trouble.

After several more hours of traveling, the group finally reached the road at sundown. They took all of their packs from the horses, and while the Equestrians were especially reluctant to part with the loans, eventually sent them home to their master.

"They would likely run away if we tried to take them any further as is," Applejack muttered as she watched the steeds trot off to the south, back the direction they had come.

Twilight sighed as she felt the familiar heavy weight of her pack on her back. "From here on out, we should probably make use of the cloaks. We still need to avoid drawing too much attention to ourselves. And based on our former traveling companions, ponies are supposed to be far more earth tone than any of us could manage."

There was little discussion as each of them retrieved the cloaks borrowed from Bilbo's home, and slipped them on. To them there was no real visible difference. To the hobbits -and by extension anyone else who might see them- they looked like a group of seven nondescript hobbits, who couldn't visually raise suspicion if they tried.

In other words, perfect for what they needed.

"I wonder how Bree is like..." Sam wondered partially to himself, partially to the others.

"There are hobbits there, and there are Big Folk," Merry replied. "Some of my folk, hobbits of Buckland, ride out here every now and then. It's supposedly a respectable place."

"As respectable as it is, remember that this is not the Shire, and do remember to not call me Baggins. If any name shall be given, I will go by Underhill," Frodo said sternly. "You remember what Gandalf said: they are looking for a Baggins."

The others nodded solemnly at his words, and with that started walking up the road to the town of Bree.

And then it had started to rain...


"These unpaved roads are absolutely horrible," Rarity muttered to herself, her hooves covered in mud by this point.

"No worse than they are back home," Applejack replied. This wasn't the first time she'd gotten her hooves caked in mud, and it wouldn't be the last time either.

It was about half an hour after sundown they came to a large gate; large enough that trying to go around would be quite difficult. Rainbow Dash tried to push the large wooden gate open, but it wouldn't budge for anything.

Twilight went up and knocked on the door in the gate.

Soon an old man looked through a small opening in the door, and when he saw a rather attractive hobbit woman's face swiftly opened it. It was obviously the gatekeeper, though he frowned when he saw that it was not only a hobbit woman, but a whole band of strangers.

"What do you want?" he asked them gruffly.

"We are heading for The Prancing Pony," Frodo replied.

He looked at all of them, eyeing them suspiciously. Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes in response to his gaze lingering on her longer than she cared for.

Finally he responded. "Hobbits? What business do all of you have in Bree? Are you together?"

"Yes, we are together," said Twilight shortly, wrapping her cloak closely around her body to help keep the rain at bay as best she could.

"And our business is our own," Frodo added.

He glanced warily at all of them once more, his eyes this time staying longest on Rainbow Dash. At last the gatekeeper muttered as he opened the gate.

"All right, all right, come on in. You all are the strangest folk I've seen in Bree of late, and that's saying something. Too many queer folk around, that's for sure." He stepped aside and the group quickly went through. He pointed out the route to The Prancing Pony, and they made their way as swiftly as possible.

"Are you sure these cloaks are working? He kept staring at us," Rarity pointed out.

"I'm as sure as I can be. Like I said, it's a powerful illusion spell. It doesn't simply present what someone should see, it overwrites whatever they might see, with what they're supposed to see. All they should see are seven nondescript hobbits that could look like anyone at all," Twilight explained.

"So that's why you're looking so familiar," Merry quipped.

The gatekeeper's directions, though vague, proved to be enough for them to find the inn in a short amount of time. While the rain had slowed down to a drizzle, it was still very damp and chilly out, so they hurried on inside. The sole exception being Rarity, who had the courtesy to wipe her hooves off before entering with the rest of them.

It was warm and stuffy in the inn. They could hear numerous voices chatting, singing, and laughing, they together with the clanging of mugs and silverware creating a strange, chaotic sort of harmony. They went up to the front counter and waited for someone to come to attend them. Applejack leaned casually against it, glancing at Rainbow Dash as her friend caught a glimpse at the amount of alcohol the establishment held.

"Good, some real drink!" Rainbow Dash said with a grin.

When they were not attended to right away, Twilight called out to get them some service. "Excuse me," she said to a man behind the counter.

A plump man, nearly bald, and very red in the face, answered the call. He looked at them with unmasked interest.

"Good evening masters and ladies, what may I do for all of you? If you are seeking some lodgings, we have plenty hobbit-sized rooms available, and two other rooms for you ladies. You are quite fortunate; you have the last rooms available! It is quite crowded tonight. We have some Southerns that came up the Greenway a couple of hours ago, and some Dwarves heading west. But you are the queerest group I have seen so far, begging your pardon. We usually do not get folk from the Shire here in Bree, and them traveling in large groups is unheard of, begging your pardon. I am Barliman Butterbur by the way, owner of The Prancing Pony."

He said all of that very fast, almost in one breath. He ran off to get a drink for someone, but was soon back.

"What may your names be, masters?" he asked them.

Frodo spoke first. "This is Samwise Gamgee, Meriadoc Brandybuck, and Peregrin Took. I am simply Underhill."

"My name is Twilight Sparkle, and these are my friends Spike, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rarity."

Butterbur raised his eyebrows. "Well then, we still have only two rooms available, but you ladies can decide on the arrangements. We have plenty of beds, mind you." He looked over his shoulder. "Nob! Bob! Come here!"

Two cheery-looking Hobbits came over to Butterbur. They looked at the strangers with open curiosity.

"Nob, take the masters to one of the ground floor rooms. Bob, you take the ladies to the extra rooms. Don't forget their baggage!"

They each led one of the groups to their rooms. Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie decided to bunk together, leaving Twilight, Fluttershy, and Rarity with the smaller room. Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie were shown their rooms first, and then Twilight, Fluttershy, and Rarity were dropped off to a room right down the hall.

After Bob bowed and closed the door, Rarity sighed and slouched. She shrugged off her dripping cloak, dropping her hobbit disguise in the process, and threw it over a chair before collapsing onto the small bed. "This is the last thing I thought could ever happen to us. And to think we were all home but a mere three weeks ago."

Twilight took off her own soaked cloak, before igniting a fire in the fireplace to expedite them drying. "It's alright, Rarity. We'll find our way home soon enough, I'm sure of it. There's always the possibility that Princess Celestia has found her way here by now, and is following the notes we've left her. For all we know, she's on her way here."

Rarity nodded and yawned, and Twilight gave her a small smile. "You and Fluttershy should rest. It certainly has been a wearisome trip. I'm going to see the others, and make sure they stay out of trouble; I imagine they will be heading down to the common-room soon enough to enjoy the inn's ale."

Rarity nodded once more as she laid her head on the pillow, already fast asleep. Fluttershy soon followed, joining Rarity on the bed. Twilight smiled at the scene and left the room, her cloak being wrapped around her neck, despite it not having nearly enough time to dry. The only upside was the fact that Bilbo had a fine taste in quality, and whatever method this world had of making their textiles water resistant, was working quite well.

She went over to her friends' room and knocked on their door. No answer. She knocked again, this time louder. No answer again. She slowly opened the door and looked inside. There were four beds inside, two chairs, and a table; and much as she suspected, it was empty. Letting out a heavy sigh, Twilight closed the door, and headed to the parlor.

When Twilight arrived, she frowned. Just as she had suspected, the others were already at the ale like a mess of alcoholics, and had not even bothered to wait for her. Her want to sample the drink, and compare it to what she'd sampled at the Shire, however, was stayed when she saw Frodo and noticed that the hobbit's hands were on his temple. The hobbit disguised Alicorn walked over, and sat down beside him, the bench proving no challenge for her.

"What's wrong, Frodo?" she asked concernedly. "Are you ill?"

Frodo shook his head and replied, "I expected Gandalf to be here, but he is not. Now where do I go?"

Twilight nodded sympathetically, but was unsure of what to say. She had been expecting Princess Celestia by now as well, but so far had sensed nothing. That left the both of them without easy answers.

"Don't worry, we will find the way, even if Gandalf isn't there to guide us," she finally replied, whispering it to him. Frodo shot her a small smile in response.

"Thank you."

Sam whispered something in Frodo's ear, but Twilight couldn't make it out. She saw Frodo casually glance at Pinkie Pie, who was on her fifth mug of ale, Rainbow Dash, who was sitting down on the bench racing her, and Applejack, who was counting the cups, and giving all the strangers around them an unfriendly glare if they looked at her and her friends in any way that didn't meet her approval.

Frodo looked over all the cheery people in the room, and Twilight watched him stop and stare at something. She turned her head to see what it was.

There was a man sitting in a shadowed corner of the parlor. He was hooded and cloaked, and Twilight could only make out his long legs, his boots heavily caked in dirt and grime, and a pipe that he was smoking. One look and Twilight did not trust him at all.

Frodo stopped Butterbur as he passed by. "Excuse me, but... that man in the corner, who is he?"

Butterbur looked to the corner and quickly turned back at them. He lowered his voice to a whisper as he addressed the group.

"He's one of them Rangers. They're dangerous folk, they are, wandering the Wilds. What his right name is I've never heard, but around here, he's known as Strider." With that, Butterbur walked away.

Suddenly the three of them heard clapping and cheering, and as one, they turned to see Pinkie with a big smile on her face. Rainbow Dash, apparently, had admitted defeat in their drinking competition. She was currently leaning against her chair, her face completely flushed. Pippin and Spike were making their way towards the table, but Merry was nowhere to be found.

"Where's Merry?" Twilight asked Frodo.

"He stayed inside the room, and said he was going to go for a walk afterwards if the rain stopped," Frodo responded.

"It lessened up some time ago, so he may already be gone."

Their attention quickly turned back to the scene on the other side of the common-room, as Pippin and Spike approached Pinkie.

"Having fun, Pinkie?" Spike asked.

"You know it!" Pinkie replied, before downing another tankard without a second thought.

"You didn't wait for me, you ass!" Pippin said, but in a good-natured tone nonetheless. "I was going to be merciful before, but now I shall beat you in our game completely! How many did she have, Applejack?"

"Nine," she said as she drank from her own tankard.

"Nine!" Pippin scoffed. "A lad half my age could do nine easy." He called out for some more ale, and people gladly passed over several mugs, eager to see if the small hobbit could reach Pinkie's number. As he downed them without hesitation, Pinkie started humming a tune. Once Rainbow Dash heard Pinkie, she started to hum along.

"Oh no..." Twilight groaned. As much as she liked Pinkie's singing ability, she was really off-key this time around as she was getting warmed up. And she herself was nowhere near drunk enough to appreciate it. Quickly, she signaled for an ale of her own, figuring that it couldn't hurt in this case. Frodo looked faintly amused, while Sam was caught in between laughter, and utter bemusement.

"Oh, a song?" Pippin slurred after his sixth drink. "I do love a good song!"

"Sorry ta disappoint ya then," Applejack mumbled.

"Then come up and sing with me!" Pinkie said suddenly. She stood and climbed up upon the table, pulling Pippin along with her. The Men, hobbits, and dwarves gathered within the common-room all loved a good song, and so they clapped and cheered for the two. A couple men shoved mugs of ale into their hands to encourage them. All the while, Rainbow Dash still hummed along.

My name is Pinkie Pie
and I am here to say
I'm gonna make you smile
and I will brighten up your day

It doesn't matter now
if you are sad or blue
'cause cheering up my friends is just
what Pinkie's here to do

'Cause I love to make you smile, smile, smile
it fills my heart with sunshine all the while
'cause all I really need's a smile, smile, smile
from these happy friends of mine

I like to see you grin
I love to see you beam
the corners of your mouth turned up
is always Pinkie's dream

But if you're kind of worried
and your face has made a frown
I'll work real hard and do my best
to turn that sad frown upside down

'Cause I love to make you grin, grin, grin
busted out from ear to ear, let it begin
just give me a joyful grin, grin, grin
and you fill me with good cheer

It's true, some days are dark and lonely
and maybe you feel sad
but Pinkie will be there to show you that it isn't that bad

There's one thing that makes me happy
and makes my whole life worthwhile
and that's when I talk to my friends and get them to smile

I really am so happy
your smile fills me with glee
I give a smile, I get a smile
and that's so special to me

'Cause I love to see you beam, beam, beam
tell me, what more can I say to make you see that I do?
it makes me happy when you beam, beam, beam
yes, it always makes my day

Come on everypony smile, smile, smile!
fill my heart up with sunshine, sunshine
all I really need's a smile, smile, smile
from these happy friends of mine!

Come on everypony smile, smile, smile!
fill my heart up with sunshine, sunshine
all I really need's a smile, smile, smile
from these happy friends of mine!

Yes a perfect gift for me
is a smile as wide as a mile
to make me happy as can be
smile, smile, smile, smile, smile!

Come on and smile!
come on and smile!

Once Pinkie had finished, she bowed and the whole tavern clapped for her. Pippin jumped off the table and swayed to the bar to have some more ale.

Rainbow Dash also jumped off the table with Pinkie and swayed over to Twilight. "Didja like it, huh, didja?" she asked as she drank her ale.

Twilight rolled her eyes with a smile, stood up, and easily grabbed the tankard and took a careful swig of it. "The first inn we have come across on this trip, and you girls start without me." She turned to Frodo and Sam. "If you'll excuse me, I'll be taking Rainbow back up to her room before she completely passes out." With that, she firmly grabbed the mare by her foreleg. and started to lead her to the stairs. She was nearly there when Pippin's high voice rang out through the room.

"Baggins? Sure I know a Baggins! He's over there, Frodo Baggins! He's my second cousin, once removed on his mother's side, and my fourth cousin, twice removed..."

Twilight let go of Rainbow Dash suddenly as she watched Frodo run over to Pippin, trip, and fall to the ground. She saw a glint of gold in the air and a sudden temptation washed over her: it was the Ring. She shook herself out of her strange thoughts as Frodo suddenly disappeared. Everyone nearby gasped and started speaking to one another in hushed tones, glancing at all of Frodo's companions with open suspicion. The whispers grew louder, until the common-room was screaming with protests, demanding the barkeeper to come and explain what had just happened.

Rainbow Dash sat down on a nearby chair, looking quite content. Her eyes remained at the spot where Frodo had disappeared, the look in her gaze odd and unnatural. Twilight, not paying attention to her, pulled her up and went over to Pinkie and Applejack. Rainbow Dash plopped down next to Applejack while Sam, Spike, and Pippin came and joined them.

"What's all this?" Rainbow Dash asked with a wave of her hoof. Pinkie, who was not quite as red before, and looked a bit steadier than Rainbow Dash, glanced around nervously.

"I think it was, well, you know, it," Pinkie said under her breath. "Like Frodo's uncle at the birthday party." Rainbow Dash nodded in realization and sat back in her chair, appearing undaunted with the whole situation.

Applejack looked grim as she glanced around the common-room and her companions. Twilight spoke in hushed whispers with Spike, Sam, and Pippin, while Pinkie and Rainbow Dash talked amongst themselves. As Butterbur came into the room, demanding to know what was going on, she looked past him and saw a tall, hooded man pushing Frodo up the stairs. Eyes widening, she grabbed Twilight's foreleg, and interrupted her conversation.

"Frodo's bein' taken upstairs by some shady-looking fellow. Ah'm goin' after 'em." With that, she stood and quickly pushed her way through the bodies in the room. "Move it would ya? Go on an' get!"

Twilight frowned and turned to the dark corner where Strider sat, and saw he wasn't there anymore. While she didn't see the man taking Frodo, she was sure that the Ranger was behind it. Glancing back to Spike and the hobbits, she saw that they, too, were ready to dart after Applejack. "Wait," she said quickly. "I think the man who took Frodo was Strider, and Butterbur was wary of him. Be careful and watch Applejack's back. I'll take care of Rainbow Dash and Pinkie, and join you soon. There is only one way out of this inn, so he can't take Frodo away from us without us catching him in the process."

Spike and the hobbits nodded, and Pippin took a heavy iron candelabra, while Sam took a stool. Spike looked around for something he could bring with him, before opting to simply tag along as is, and rely on his dragon nature if need be. They quickly rushed after Applejack.

Twilight sighed, glanced at Butterbur who was currently trying to calm down his patrons, and then back to Rainbow Dash and Pinkie. "We need to get out of here," she said to them. "And you two need to sober up."

"Eh," Pinkie said, "the ale has a wonderful rush, but it don't last too long."

"I'm sure," Twilight said with a disbelieving look. "C'mon." With that, she pulled her two friends up and led them to the front door of The Prancing Pony. With none too light a shove, she pushed them outside. "If anyone comes running outside with Frodo, stop him. I don't care how you do it, sit on them if necessary. And keep an eye out for Merry; he likely went out for a walk earlier." With that, she shut the door.

Rainbow Dash sat down on the step, a relaxed smile on her face. Pinkie Pie shot her a strange look.

"I may not be seeing straight quite yet, but I don't see what you're smiling about. We were given watch duty! You let Twilight give you boring, sitting in one place, watch duty!"

"That's what she thinks," Rainbow Dash said, leaning back against the wall. "Now, what are they doing inside, Pinkie?"

"Applejack said something about Frodo being taken by some man."

"Exactly." The smug expression on Rainbow Dash's face grew smugger. "They're going about facing this Strider guy while we wait here at the only entrance and exit of the inn if he decides to run away. Besides, it was getting a bit warm in there."

"Ah!" Realization came to Pinkie quickly and she giggled. "Still, we're looking out for Merry."

"Much less fun than trying to deal with some hobbit-snatcher."

"True."

"Though you were sadly right about the drink. That ale has a great rush, but it goes away too fast. I miss Applejack's apple cider."

"Yeah," Pinkie agreed. "You sober then, Rainbow?"

"Eh. Somewhere. Not as drunk as Twilight thinks I am, that's fer sure."

"You're still slurring."

"Just as much as you are, Pinkie."

"I suppose so." Pinkie sighed, looking down the road. "Now what do we do?"

"Sit, relax, and let the others be the heroes for today. Now let's keep an eye out for Merry." She and Pinkie scanned the area, eyes vigilant for either Strider or Merry.


Applejack rushed up the stairs, checking every room quickly, but shutting the doors quietly, wishing to go for a more stealthy approach. She hoped that the man did not lock the door behind him; that would make things more difficult than necessary.

Of course she could just buck open the door, but she didn't really want to damage Butterbur's property if it could be avoided.

At the end of the hall in the room that Nob had pointed out as a private parlor, she heard voices coming through the door. When she heard Frodo's voice, she removed her cloak, not caring if this man saw her true form, so long as she was able to buck him from here to the Shire. Beyond that, the heavy thing would just inhibit her free movement.

She forcefully shoved the door open, and came face to face with a tall, dark-haired man who had his gleaming sword pointed towards her. He seemed slightly startled by her appearance, but quickly masked his expression. She glanced behind him and saw Frodo; to her relief, he looked unharmed.

"You give him back, ya lousy varmint," she muttered darkly. "Ya won' be leavin' this inn with him. An' if ya try, Ah'll be makin' leave through the window."

"I had no intentions of doing such a thing," the man said, slightly lowering his sword as he studied her. However, he raised it again when more footsteps came pounding down the hallway. Applejack quickly glanced down the hall as well, not keeping her eyes long from the stranger. She was relieved to see it was only Spike, Sam, and Pippin, though she was slightly amused to see their selection of weapons.

"Afraid that won't help here much," she said in greeting. Spike and the hobbits' eyes widened at the sight of the sword, realizing that they were outclassed.

"You let him go, Strider!" Sam said angrily, despite having little that could compete with tempered steel. Frodo was silent, still in the corner of the room, and looking at the scene as if he was not quite sure what to make of it.

"So I am called here," he said, lowering his sword again, and stepping back when he saw it was only the hobbits. "Nonetheless, just as I said to the... lady, I have no intentions of taking Master Baggins anywhere without his consent." He stepped back again, lowered his sword to the ground, and looked back at Frodo. "I took you out of the common-room for your own well-being, Master Baggins. You may have not seen it yourself, but there were men in that room that were also looking for you; men that would not be so kind as to simply haul you away from the common-room." Glancing once more at Applejack, he sheathed his sword and sat down, looking the most at ease out of all the people in the room.

Sam put the stool down and hurried over to Frodo, checking for himself to see if he was all right.

"I'm fine, Sam," Frodo said, giving him one brief smile before turning to Strider. "The innkeeper warned me about you, and you have not shown me any reason why I should trust you."

"Good," Strider remarked, surprising everyone else by his reply. "You have been far too careless- you and your companion's antics have drawn far too much attention." Pippin suddenly turned away, guilt evident on his features. No one, however, said anything. Applejack finally started to lower her battle stance, not convinced of his innocence, but a bit more confident that he would not attack them when outnumbered as such. She immediately raised it again, however, when hoofsteps pounded up the stairs and a door opened simultaneously. Strider, too, stood up, his hand on the hilt of his blade.

It was Twilight who came up the stairs, dropping her cloak as she moved, and Rarity who opened the door from their room. "What is going on?" she asked Twilight as she passed. She and Fluttershy followed her glance to the end of the hall, and when they saw Applejack with her cloak off and in a tense stance, they immediately came out of their own room and followed.

"So it is you, Strider," Twilight said contemptuously when she came to the parlor, her horn glowing in preparation of an offensive spell. When Strider saw it was one of the hobbit's companions, he relaxed and sat down once more.

"It is I," he replied, "and before you attempt to kill me out of hasty judgement, I would have you listen to my words."

"Hasty judgment?" Twilight scowled. "It's hardly hasty judgement, going after a friend who has been taken by some scoundrel!"

"Scoundrel?" Strider laughed quietly. "Perhaps, but as I said to Master Baggins, I mean him no harm. The common-room was dangerous after-" He stopped suddenly, glancing at the open door with suspicion. Ignoring the other eight, he stood, looked outside, and closed the door quietly. "It was dangerous after Frodo revealed the thing he carries."

Applejack's scowl deepened and she was readying her fighting stance once more. The light on Twilight's horn grew brighter, Rarity's horn started to glow as well, and Fluttershy glanced worriedly at Frodo. "What happened down there?" she asked, glancing between the hobbit and the strange Strider.

"An accident," Frodo said, his eyes still on Strider's lank form. "And you claim that you acted as you did for my own well being?"

Strider nodded. "You are not the only strangers Bree has seen lately. You and your companions did not notice it, but there were men not assaulting Old Butterbur with complaints, but rather had their eyes peeled for you. The old gatekeeper, and a few men of the company from the south, as well as that crook Bill Ferny, they all were spread about. You had already disappeared, so it wouldn't be too difficult for you to disappear completely from the inn now, would it?"

Frodo fell silent and Pippin looked particularly ill. Sam, however, was not convinced. "And you say that you're not a friend of those brigands! Why should we believe you?"

"It's quite simple," Strider replied calmly. "I was alone with Master Baggins for a good minute, if not more. It would have been easy enough for me to take it and disappear entirely. If I had wanted to do so, we would not be having this conversation, now would we?" Sam paled at the blunt statement, but still looked uncertain.

"Still, what's his business to you?" Spike asked. "Who are you?"

"His business means a good deal to me," Strider replied. "And I am here at the request of Gandalf."

"Gandalf!" Frodo exclaimed in surprise. "You know him?"

"As well as anyone can know a wizard," Strider said with a queer smile. "But yes, I do. I spoke with him a couple weeks ago before he rode down South. He told me to come up here, and watch the road for a Frodo Baggins, and for any companions he may have with him. I did not realize it would be so many... and ponies too," he said, glancing at the others. "He told me that if he was not in Bree by the time they arrived, something had delayed him, and that it would be up to me to lead them the rest of the way."

"To where?" asked Frodo.

"Rivendell."

"Rivendell!" Frodo said, slightly dismayed. "It is a long way to Rivendell."

"So it is," said Strider. "But you cannot stay here in Bree. These men in the common-room were mere brigands. You are being hunted by something much more dangerous."

"The black riders," Twilight spoke. Her horn losing it's glow slowly. Strider nodded, and was about to explain further, but heavy footsteps suddenly pounded up the stairs and down the hall. They heard a door thrown open and a voice curse loudly.

"In the name of Celestia! Where are those girls?"

"Rainbow!" Applejack threw the door open and raced down the hallway. She quickly came back. "Come quickly!" she shouted at them through the doorway, and then hurried back down the hall, the others following. They entered the room, and on one of the beds lay Merry.

"Merry!" Pippin cried and quickly ran to the bed. Merry was awake, but very pale, and out of breath. "What happened, Merry?"

"He was attacked," Pinkie answered grimly. "One of those hobbits who works for the inn was out on an errand, and found Merry on the ground with a hooded figure above him."

"I was just strolling outside, just as I said I would," Merry explained weakly. "I saw this cloaked figure, and, well, I was almost drawn to it, it seems. I followed him, and then suddenly I found myself on the ground with Nob shaking me awake. He told me that the cloaked man was over my body, but his shout of alarm had scared it away."

"When Nob brought him back, he looked like he could barely walk, so Dashie and I took him up here," Pinkie finished.

Rainbow Dash, in the meanwhile, was looking at Strider with a raised brow. "Who're you?" she asked.

"A friend of Gandalf's," Frodo said. Some of the others who were in the room during Strider's explanation of himself looked uncertain at the proclamation, but no one went against his word. "Do you think it was one of the black riders, Merry?"

"It might've been, I think so," he said with a shudder. "I guess I'm lucky, then."

"More than lucky," Strider muttered, looking at the hobbit with an unreadable expression. "It is a surprise that the rider did not kill you and Nob right there and then; very surprising." He fell silent as he mulled this fact over. "They are using stealth for a reason, and whatever reason that is, I doubt bodes well for your company."

"Do you think they may attack the inn?" Fluttershy asked.

"Perhaps," Strider said. "Nonetheless, I do not recommend the hobbits staying in their rooms tonight; even if the black riders do not attack the inn, the brigands are still about, and I do not know how bold they are."

Twilight nodded. "We should all stay together, just in case; we don't want to be separated from one another."

"Yeah," Rainbow Dash said, a glint in her eye. "But if these brigands want battle, we'll be prepared to meet it."


In the end, it was decided that everyone would bunk in the room they were currently in. While Butterbur did not look happy that Strider was with them, and tried to talk Frodo out of associating with him, he finally relented and, with Strider's help, Nob and Bob helped bring Spike and the hobbit's luggage upstairs. Twilight, Rarity, and Fluttershy quickly retrieved their own luggage from the other room, before joining their companions.

It was like one big slumber party. Only without the aspect of it being fun.

Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Spike, realizing that Strider knew of their true appearances, dropped their hobbit disguises once they were all shut in for the night, unencumbering themselves of their heavy cloaks. Although Strider's eyes still widened a little when he saw that Spike is a dragon. But the surprise soon passed, chalking it up as simply being another aspect of Gandalf's friends.

While Strider was gone, the others explained briefly to Merry, Pinkie, and Rainbow Dash Strider's story. They all looked unconvinced, and even as Frodo repeated it, Sam was scowling.

"How can you be so sure?" Applejack asked him. "He could be anyone. Ah still don' trust 'im much."

Frodo was silent as he looked for the right words to explain to his companions what he saw in Strider. At last he settled on what that would be. "He scared me quite a bit, but I believe him. I think a servant of the Enemy would look fairer and feel fouler, if you understand me."

"Oh, he's foul enough," Sam muttered.

Rainbow Dash shrugged. "I don't like him, but we do have the numbers if he decides to do something stupid. And, of course, we have Twilight and Rarity's magic if it comes down to it."

"Nonetheless," Frodo started, getting the conversation back on track, "I do agree with him on one point- we cannot wait here for Gandalf, not with brigands and black riders roaming about. Rivendell is the safest place to go, and he claims to know the way."

"And so I do," Strider said suddenly as he pushed the door open, bringing up the last of the baggage. He put it on the floor, before sitting himself on a wooden chair near the window. "Rivendell is a long way from Bree, and the roads will be watched closely. We will take ways that will be unseen by enemy eyes. Your rooms are now empty, and your beds have been stuffed with pillows, and other such things to form your bodies. Butterbur knows that something may happen, as he is on the lookout tonight. Still," he turned to Frodo, "you and your companions should try and sleep. If you plan on having Strider be your guide, we will need to leave early, before the rest of Bree awakens." He then turned to the window and kept his eyes on the road outside.

Rarity and Fluttershy shared one bed together. Spike and the four hobbits slept surprisingly well on another. Rainbow Dash and Twilight slept on the third bed, and Pinkie took the last bed. They could've easily split the third bed, but Pinkie had opted to give Twilight plenty of room, so as to not risk hurting her wing any further.

Applejack pulled up the remaining chair in the room and set it by the door, wedging it under the knob.

"Just in case, of course," she said with a toothy smile to Strider. Strider said nothing and went back to staring out the window.

Applejack made herself comfortable, her hat resting over her eyes and keeping an eye on Strider just in case he proved to be something other than what he claimed to be.


Hours later, as best anyone could tell, shrieks came from downstairs and the hallway. Strider remained sitting, his eyes hard as he stared outside. Applejack, who was pretending to sleep -so well that she just about really was- suddenly jumped up and pointed her tensed body at the door, ready to charge at anything that might come smashing through it.

The rest of them woke with a start, and stared between Strider and Applejack.

"What was that?" Twilight said as she fumbled in the darkness of the room.

"Sounded like a black rider ta me," Applejack said, her eyes still pointed at the door.

Frodo rolled out of bed and peered cautiously out the window. He saw five Black Riders outside of the inn; they quickly mounted their horses, and rode off screeching

"What are they?" he asked Strider

He was silent for a moment, but quietly replied, "They were once Men."

"Once Men? What's that supposed to mean?" Rainbow Dash asked suspiciously. Strider glanced at her before continuing.

"They were once great kings of Men. Then Sauron the Deceiver gave to them nine Rings of Power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without question, one by one, falling into darkness. Now they are slaves to his will."

"Sauron is that evil maniac Gandalf told us about, right?" Spike whispered to Fluttershy.

"I think so; I think he made the ring that Frodo carries," she whispered back.

Strider, with his acute hearing, heard their whispers easily. "Indeed he did," Strider confirmed. "He is the Dark Lord who nearly had the world under his domain, until he was defeated by the Last Alliance. But now he sends his darkest servants to find that which he desire most." He looked out of the window once again. "They are the Nazgul -Ringwraiths- neither living nor dead. At all times they feel the presence of the Ring, drawn to the power of the One." He gave them all a keen glance, his eyes finally settling on Frodo. "They will never stop hunting you."

"Neither living nor dead?" Rainbow Dash in both shock and disbelief. Quickly she turned to Twilight. "How do we stop something like that?"

"I don't know," Twilight replied, shaking her head. She simply had no answers this time around. "I don't know..."


The next morning, those who were able to fall back asleep woke up an hour before sunrise. As it was, most had merely brooded in their own thoughts until the hour; Strider had not even attempted to rest. They had a very quick breakfast, and after some discussion, the company decided to follow Frodo, who was set on following Strider.

Butterbur had thought them fools, but he sold them a pony for the journey for a very good price, and had Bob help them load the beast with some of their possessions. Sam had all but fell in love with the creature right away, and decided to name him Bill. Fluttershy, too, liked Bill.

Along with the pony, Butterbur also sold them more provisions. Finally at sunrise, just as the rest of Bree was beginning to wake up, the twelve companions left Bree, and started heading east towards Rivendell, following this strange Strider and relying only on his word -and Frodo's belief- that he would do no evil to them.

Author's Note:

I'm planning on combining both the movie AND the book in this story. The story will stick with movie canon, but I will some SMALL things from the books to the story wherever I feel is necessary. :pinkiesmile: