• Published 6th Sep 2015
  • 2,036 Views, 60 Comments

The Elements in Harmony - No One and Nobody



These four heroes must stop the evil. It’s kind of a given. Only problem is, the first is half blind and as heavy as a rock, the second can’t touch anything, the third is also blind and can’t touch the ground, and the fourth can barely exist.

  • ...
5
 60
 2,036

Chapter 8: All the Earth is a Sponge

Chapter 8: All the Earth is a Sponge

Lucas had lost count of how many times now he had tried to leave the fountain. All through the night he had tried to escape his little prison, but the minute he touched the ground it was like he was walking on a blender. The ground would absorb him like a maximum strength sponge.

After every attempt he had to convert more water from the fountain into his being. He was positive by now he had drained half the fountain.

At last, some time, probably around two in the morning, he had managed to try every side of the fountain and learned that, no matter where he tried to step out, the ground would always win. So he lay back in the water, which was himself, and fell asleep.

He had awoken the same time every morning in his life for the past nine years. Today was no different.

At least it means I'm never late for school, not that that's something to be too happy about though.

He listened as the ponies started to wake up and begin their daily lives. He had to admit, despite everything he had heard yesterday, the town seemed like a peaceful little place; nothing like where he lived.

Most of the ponies didn't pay any attention to the fountain in the middle of the square. However he did hear three female ponies discussing the rather low water level.

Must be the nit-picky, notice-every-detail type, he grumbled to himself. He didn't like that type.

Sometime later in the day he heard what sounded like the same pony from yesterday walk by, she was talking with somebody named 'Rainbow' about some guy named Thomas. Lucas didn't know what to make of it all. Thomas seemed like a really normal name for a pony. These ponies seemed to always have some type of 'thing' as their name, from Roseluck to Bon Bon. However he had heard of a pony called Lyra, so maybe there were normal names mixed in with them all.

As he lay there though he got to thinking.

Maybe I should jump up or something. Get their attention. They'd probably go nuts. At least it would be a change from just sitting here.

He thought about it some more and finally decided against it. Maybe something would happen. Who knows...

So he waited there in the small pool praying for something to break the monotony.


He didn't have to wait long.

After a little while he began to feel a steady thumping through the base of the fountain.

As he thought about it he realized that they were footsteps.

At first he was a little scared, but then he thought about it and realized that as long as he stayed still nobody would pay any attention to him. Besides the footsteps appeared bipedal and not quadrupedal.

It came nearer and nearer as he lay there, wrapped around the base of the fountain.

At last the footsteps stopped and a large stone object was thrust into him. A voice came with the stone hand.

My name's Thomas. You a Brony?

He thought for a moment, trying to figure out what was going on, then he replied.

No. I'm not a troll though. My name's Lucas. What's going on here?

We have no idea but as long as you're here it looks like we're all in this together.

Who's we?

There's me, I'm the earth elemental, and then there's Mira; she's the air elemental. We've got no idea why we're here in Equestria or why we're elementals but we're trying to figure that out. Give me a second to tell the mane six you're here.

Lucas tried to ask who the heck the mane six were but Thomas had already removed his hand from the water.

OK, he said 'Brony', so he's gotta be a human. At least I'm not alone anymore. I just hope he's not one of those pushy types who tries to get me into the show. If I want to watch it, I'll make up my own mind, thank you very much!


Thomas withdrew his hand from the water and, turning to the ponies behind him, nodded his head. He had shared the entire conversation with Mira while he talked with Lucas.

HIS NAME'S LUCAS.

"My word!" said Rarity, "You're all just popping up everywhere aren't you? No offense."

"None taken," said Mira.

"Is he going to come out of there or does he have a case of the jitters just like you?" asked Pinkie.

Thomas leaned over the water again.

Are you going to come out? he asked.

Can't. The ground's like a sieve. By the way I can hear everything they're saying, you don't have to relay it back and forth.

Got it.

He withdrew his hand from the water and turned around.

CAN'T TOUCH THE GROUND. NEEDS SOME KIND OF CONTAINER. AND HE CAN HEAR YOU ALL.

"Oh the poor darling," said Rarity, "Trapped in that pool like some kind of prisoner."

SEEMS LIKE NICE GUY. DON'T THINK HE LIKES PONIES THOUGH.

"Whadda ya mean he don't like us?" asked Applejack.

"He is another species Applejack," said Twilight, "I'm sure he's not overly fond of being ripped from his home, being given a new body with severe limitation, and being shoved into a town with another species. Let's just be friendly and try and make him feel welcome while he's here."

"I agree with Twilight," said Fluttershy, who was staring into the pool.

"So do we need like a big barrel or somethin'?" asked AJ, looking at the still reasonably sized body of water, "Cause that there's a whole lot'o water to haul around."

Thomas dipped his fingers into the water and asked Lucas for any ideas.

Give me a second and I'll reduce myself. You shouldn't need more than a small cup or bottle or something.

Thomas told the rest of them and Twilight pulled a flask from her bag.

"I came prepared this time," she said, "And I've got another for you Mira so you don't have to wake up with a hangover again."

"Thanks," said Mira, hovering over the water.

"You said he can hear us," said Fluttershy, "Can he see us as well?"

Thomas thought back to when he had stuck his hand into the water and what he could remember seeing.

NO. HE CAN ONLY SEE IN THE WATER.

"A blind prisoner!" said Rarity, who was just about as shocked as the rest of them.

Thomas felt bad for a second about revealing the extent of Lucas's sight, then realized that, unlike himself, Lucas couldn't hide his handicap.

"I bet he's really lonely," said Fluttershy, then she took a deep breath, puffing out her cheeks adorably, and stuck her head under the water.

Man I envy that guy, thought Thomas to himself, The cutest face in Equestria. What a welcome.

"How is it that you can understand him?" asked Twilight, looking at Thomas inquisitively.

Oh boy, sure hope I didn't give away our little secret.

At that moment however, Fluttershy's head emerged from the water.

"He can talk!" she shouted, in her small voice.

"I didn't hear anything," said Rainbow, giving Fluttershy an odd look.

"I could hear him when I stuck my head underwater."

"So that's how Thomas could hear him," said Rarity, "Let me say hello, Fluttershy."

Rarity bend over the water and greeted Lucas while Twilight handed Thomas the small flask.

Thomas let Rarity finish her introduction and then dipped the flask into the water. He felt Lucas squeeze himself into the flask and pulled it out trying not to let that much run out of the top.

"Do you think he can hear us if we cap it?" asked Twilight, hesitantly holding the cap to the flask in her magical aura.

There was a bubbling whistling sound and all the ponies as well as Thomas and Mira could hear a tiny voice coming from the top of the flask along with a small stream of foam.

"Try it. I'll let you know."

"How'd he do that?" asked Applejack.

"He must be using the flask as a kind of reverberation device to create the sound," said Twilight, "If that's the case I have several much larger more resonant containers back at my place, what do you say we head down there and talk this out."

"We're capping the flask now," said Rarity, handing Thomas the cap, "We'll uncork it when we get to Twilight's castle. It's not that far."

Lucas acknowledge her and let Thomas cap the flask. Then they headed towards Twilight's castle.


When they got there they found Zecorra waiting outside with a worried expression on her face.

"Hello Zecorra," said Twilight pleasantly but was interrupted.

"I'm afraid I have bad news to convey. It is very important; I must tell you today!"

"Come in then," said Twilight, opening the door, "And don't worry about Thomas, he's OK."

Zecorra nodded at Thomas and walked in.

"I already know I need have not fear of the one of the earth who has been sent here."

Thomas held up his chalk board and uncapped the flask so that Lucas could hear.

SEND? WHAT DO YOU KNOW?

"A great evil has awoken, of it the Everfree has spoken.
A power long since forgotten, with a soul deeply rotten.
More powerful than the Changling hoard or even the now reformed Discord,
this creature is many eons of age, with power so great it can be defeated by neither pegasus protector nor unicorn mage.
With every passing minute it grows closer. I warn you all beware the dark secret of the... Dead Island."

She didn't rhyme! thought Tom to himself, Man. This is serious.

The rest of the ponies seemed to notice the same thing.

"What can we do to stop it?" asked Twilight.

"Only four great heroes summoned for this quest can stop this creature and past the test.
Three are here, you must find the fourth, find the creature and send them forth.
Only together can they defeat this threat in the darkest of times in the depths of their depths.
Four shall become one, a weapon of great power.
For only when they have given their all shall they save us in our darkest hour.
I warn you now for it comes fast, already my home tonight it will have past.
Do not challenge it for it feeds on magic, warn the towns and cities or else the results will be tragic.
In two days time it will arrive at Horseshoe Bay, it comes from the East and it brings darkness and decay.
It comes to feed on a great source of energy you six cannot stop it for it is your worst enemy.
By the Elements you shall fail but by the elements you shall prevail.
Stone shall lead, and water scout, air above all shall find things out, the last you know will be of great use when he awakes, but be careful his temperament matches his namesake's.
In the end though you shall all share the same task and in completion of it, it will be your last.
With strong hearts, calm minds and acceptance of fate you will stand tall at the proper time and share one state.
In the end death shall not come, only a new beginning, for life shall go on."

As she finished her long speech Zecorra opened her eyes, looked around and said, "I take it I just gave a prophesy. Would somepony tell me what I said for of it I have no memory."

Thomas looked around in shock to find that nopony had written it down, not even Twilight.

He could remember the basics but unfortunately most of the details were swiftly fading from his mind.

"Please tell me somepony remembers what Zecorra just said," said Twilight, her eyes wide in fear.

All the ponies in the room shook there heads.

There was a slight pop and some fizzing as Lucas cut in.

"I've got a pretty good memory. I think I remember everything she said. Anyone got a piece of paper?"

Twilight grabbed a sheet of parchment and a quill and said, "Would you like a different flask so you can speak more easily?"

"Write it down first," said Lucas, "Then we can go for improvements."

Twilight nodded and, taking Lucas from Thomas, she placed him on the table and started taking notes.

When she was done she read it out to the rest of the ponies and thanked Zecorra for the valuable information.

"I have not given a prophesy in a long time, I do hope I have not confused the rhyme."

"I don't think we need to worry about that," said Twilight, "What we need to worry about is finding this fourth element. Spike would you go get that big flask from the basement?"

"Sure thing," said Spike who had come in after Zecorra's speech and heard the recounting of the prophesy by Twilight. He already knew about Thomas and Mira, but Lucas was still new to him. He headed off to get Twilight the flask as Zecorra left the castle.

At least we know why we're here now, thought Thomas to himself as he considered Zecorra's chilling words, Although I'm not sure whether that's such a good thing now.


After Zecorra had left and Lucas had been transplanted into the new urn, which gave him a deep sonorous voice, Applejack looked around and said, "So now what do we do?"

"I think that Zecorra gave us pretty thorough instructions," said Twilight, "We need to find the fourth element."

"Why can't we just take care of this no-good thing that's coming?" asked Rainbow.

"You heard Zecorra's prophesy," said Rarity, "Nopony's powerful enough defeat it."

"But we were the bearers of the Elements of Harmony!" said Rainbow.

"Exactly," said Twilight, "We can't win with Friendship Magic. Only Thomas and his friends can stop whatever it is that's coming."

Rainbow groaned, "This is just like what happened in that town with Starlight Glimmer! How come we don't get to be the heroes?"

"Because the story's about Tommy and his friends, silly," said Pinkie, then raising her head she yelled at the ceiling, "By the way No One, keep up the good work. I know you're not getting many comments but I like how the story's going so far. By the way, could you make me funnier?"

By Faust! Pinkie's breaking the forth wall... I think. thought Thomas, Mira agreed with him, and Lucas had no idea what was going on.

The rest of the ponies just ignored Pinkie.

"So how are we going to find this fourth element?" asked Rarity, "After all, that is what we're going to do, right?"

After Pinkie's last spurt of genius everypony in the room turned to look at her. She was still looking at the ceiling though, as if waiting for a reply of some sort.

"I think this time I actually know what to do," said Twilight, looking away from Pinkie towards her library, "I think I can use a version of one of my conjuring spells to summon the spirit, wherever it may be, of the fourth element into any arbitrary spot, so long as that spot is an aspect of that element."

"Aahhh-" said Applejack, while Rainbow just rolled her eyes.

"Spike lights a candle, and I magic the fourth element into the flame," said Twilight.

Spike grabbed a candle and lit it quickly with his breath while Twilight searched through the shelves for one volume in particular.

"Ah! Here it is," she said, pulling a book down and levitating it over to the table.

She flipped through it until she found what she was looking for and then said, "I'm going to need everypony- and, I guess, every being, to stand back. This is a little more complicated spell and I don't want any of you to get hurt."

Oh boy! Super magic with Twilight Sparkle. I really wish I could see this!

Thomas felt Mira wrap around him and, thinking quickly, he dipped his finger into the urn containing Lucas. He could still see like he normally saw, but now he could also see through the air a little. He watched as Twilight stood in front of the table with the candle and the book on it. Slowly he could see the air around her begin to heat up and swirl around her.

SO AWESOME!!!

After a minute or so the spell ended and Twilight turned around, visibly tired.

"I tried to make the spell as complete as possible, since I was dealing with a spirit of somebody and I didn't want to lose any aspect of their being."

The rest of the ponies approached the small flame and looked it over.

"Well that's underwhelming," said Rainbow sarcastically.

"I don't understand Twilight," said Applejack, "What are we supposed to be lookin' at?"

"I don't actually know," said Twilight, "Thomas and his friends are like no magical creature I've ever dealt with before."

Thomas felt Mira let go of him and move towards the candle.

"Wait a second..." she said.

There was a small rushing sound and suddenly Thomas could feel a rush of heat across his body.

He could hear Twilight and Rarity scream and he lost track of Rainbow as she jumped into the air.

He felt the moss on his body bristle in order to try and find out what was going on. But as he did so he could feel it get singed.

Then he heard it, a loud rushing voice. It almost sounded like a barbecue was talking.

"What's going on here?! I hate MLP! Mira is that you? Get me out of here! I'm not a Brony and I'm never going to be one!"

Author's Note:

I'm basing the travels of this monster off of these maps.
Equestria (with names) by cmaggot on DeviantArt
We Have a Canon Map of Equestria!