• Published 18th Oct 2015
  • 47,552 Views, 4,791 Comments

Change - tom117z



Twilight Sparkle is not who she says she is, she doesn't really know WHAT she is...

  • ...
150
 4,791
 47,552

PreviousChapters Next
56 - Flashback: Proposal

Canterlot, Several Months Before The Badland’s Fall



Broad Sword was nervous.

Actually, that was a gross understatement.

It had been around about two years since the whole business with the changelings and his subsequent imprisonment. When that infiltrator had informed him of his old love’s murder, regrets long buried returned tenfold. She had been on his mind the whole time until his rescue, and afterwards he didn’t believe the new hole could ever be filled.

And then he met Scarlet Snow.

He would always keep a special place for his first love, taken from him. But where the changeling would have him believe he would never love again, Scarlet had proved otherwise.

Ever since that day in the hospital they had begun to see one another for the occasional drink. And then occasional became weekly, then damn near daily. They had begun to spend very little time apart, something that Vladimir and Shining Armor, who had since left for the newly returned Crystal Empire, loved to point out to him.

It was pretty obvious to all they were dating.

Broad Sword had fallen in love with her optimism and her caring attitude, along with her strength and ability as a soldier in the EUP. Her eyes and mane, her snowy white coloured coat, everything about her was… perfect.

He liked to believe the feeling was mutual, and there was one question that could confirm it.

A hoof to the back of his head brought him back to the here and now.

“Equus to Broad Sword, are you there?” Scarlet smirked as he rubbed the new sore spot on the back of his head. “What were you thinking about?”

“Oh… you know… stuff,” was the rather awkward reply.

The Pegasus and unicorn were sitting on one of Canterlot Castle’s many balconies, the early night’s sky above them. They had a magnificent view of the land beyond Mount Canterhorn, the green fields rolling along for miles around. A table was set up for them, drinks sat on top.

“So, how many favours did you have to call in to get this little spot?” Scarlet grinned. “It’s not every day you have a date on one of the castle’s luxurious balconies.”

“Call it a perk of being Captain of the Solar Guard,” Broad Sword smirked. “All I had to do was ask.”

“Celestia is having you pull a double shift tomorrow, isn’t she?” Scarlet asked in amusement.

“I’m fairly sure she was joking…” Broad Sword hoped.

Scarlet laughed at her boyfriend’s sheepish grin. “Time will tell!”

Broad Sword looked towards Scarlet, examining her beautiful features illustrated by the bright moonlight. Scarlet noticed his stares, and couldn’t help but blush.

“What are you looking at?” she asked.

“You’re beautiful, you know that?” he said.

The blush deepened. “OK… why are you being super romantic all of a sudden?”

“What do you mean?”

“The balcony, the things you are saying, the looks… what’s going on?”

“I’m always romantic!” Broad Sword protested.

“Actually, I had you pinned as being slightly hopeless at it,” Scarlet admitted. “It’s part of your charm.”

“I’ll try not to take that personally,” he deadpanned, though with slight amusement. “Alright, there was one thing…”

“I knew it,” she muttered. “Alright, what happened?”

“Nothing, at least until you give an answer…”

Scarlet seemed confused. “Answer?”

Broad Sword gave a loud whistle, and with the signal given the moon seemed to shine brighter as the stars began to shift. Scarlet looked up in bewilderment as the distant balls of gas moved around to form letters, which in turn formed two words. Two very specific words.

Marry Me?

Scarlet sat there for a few moment, unable to form words. Slowly, her head spun until she faced her boyfriend, her mouth agape.

“How… what… when…”

“I asked Vladimir who then asked Princess Luna,” Broad Sword smiled. “I believe her words were, ‘If I said no, Cadenza would never forgive me’. So… answer?”

Scarlet’s jaw remained on the floor as she tried to form her words, finally however, she was able to pull herself together enough to blurt it out.

“Yes! Of course it’s a yes!” she shouted as she flung herself at him, the two locking into a passionate kiss.

Above them, discreetly sitting in the shadows, the Princess of the Night gave a satisfied sigh at the sight, before rearranging the stars back to their normal positions in space. However, as she spread her wings and took off away from the engaged couple, she kept the moon lit up bright, and would do so until the sun rose the next morning.

Author's Note:

Just a bonus chapter, a little bit of light to brighten up the severe dark we've been seeing as of late. This, as far as is planned, is the final Flashback Chapter...

New full chapter tomorrow, as per usual.

PreviousChapters Next