• Published 18th Oct 2015
  • 47,472 Views, 4,791 Comments

Change - tom117z



Twilight Sparkle is not who she says she is, she doesn't really know WHAT she is...

  • ...
150
 4,791
 47,472

PreviousChapters Next
42 - The Council

The First Hive



Twilight rolled erratically underneath the covers, as a tight grimace crossed her face. Chrysalis began to rouse from her own slumber as she heard her daughter’s distress, and she blinked open a single eye to see what was going on.

Twilight was panting heavily as if she had been running. She also seemed to be locked in a death battle with her covers, and fear was evident on her features.

Chrysalis slipped out of her own bed and swiftly moved to her daughter’s side, gently placing a hoof on her shoulder and softly shaking her awake.

“Twilight?” Chrysalis quietly cooed. “It is just a nightmare, you can wake up now.”

Twilight slowly came to a halt as her eyelids fluttered open. The morning sun’s rays nearly blinded her as they made contact with her eyes, causing her to blink rapidly as she wiped away the sleep with the back of her hoof. The young princess sat up in the bed and looked around in confusion, her sleep addled mind figuring out where and when she was. Eventually her gaze rested on her mother, who was providing Twilight with a comforting smile.

“Mother? Is it morning already?” Twilight sleepily asked.

“Yes,” Chrysalis responded. “Though it seemed like the morning couldn’t come quickly enough for you, my daughter.”

Twilight chuckled sheepishly. “Y-yes. You could say that…”

“Another nightmare?”

Almost like she was a foal again, or rather nymph, Twilight simply gave a sheepish nod in confirmation. In this fact Chrysalis found some amusement, but naturally also created more motherly concern.

The Changeling Queen sighed, “Was it about… him again? Like the one Princess Luna halted before?”

“Yes,” Twilight admitted. “Except this time it took place here, in this hive. Things started out as normal, we were getting ready for the council when I took a wrong turn and got lost. After that, that assassin showed up, and then things pretty much went the same as last time.”

“Whereabouts in the sequence did I interrupt the dream?”

“Around where Luna did,” Twilight said, though her face took on an extremely disturbed expression. “Though a little later… I actually felt his blade begin to… to…”

Twilight clutched tightly onto the scar on her chest, her hooves shaking.

Chrysalis gently brought Twilight into a motherly embrace, nuzzling her gently to allay her fears.

“Why now?” Twilight shakily asked.

“Why what?” Chrysalis asked in return, still holding into her daughter.

“These dreams are only now beginning again, two years later? I am not ready to deal with post-traumatic stress syndrome.”

“Don’t be silly Twilight, why would you develop such a thing so long after the event?”

Despite the current frailty Twilight was displaying, she still managed to enter lecture mode ever so slightly. “Actually, I have read extensively on the subject, particularly after Shining Armor’s episode. My research states that symptoms first appear at least six months after the traumatic event. That could mean months, or even years later!”

“I think you are just overreacting… again,” Chrysalis chuckled in an attempt to brighten the mood.

“But-“

“Twilight, what do you feel when you think on that dream?” Chrysalis looked her daughter in the eyes.

Twilight took a moment to answer. “Fear and… frustration.”

“Frustration? And what about when you think about the actual attack?”

“Where are you going with this?” Twilight asked.

“Please Twilight, just answer the question.

“A-alright,” Twilight conceded. “When I think back on that day I feel… resentment. He tried to kill me, to kill you, and he did kill Longshot!”

“Understandable,” Chrysalis said. “Is that all?”

“I… think so? Why?” Twilight raised an inquisitive eyebrow.

Chrysalis grinned. “Why is it you feel no fear for the event, but only for the dream? And you also mentioned frustration. This is truly Princess Luna’s area of expertise, but as you mother I must also get to the bottom of this. So, could there be another reason for your dreams?”

Twilight’s eyes scrunched her muzzle as she thought back on the last two dreams. The chase and the bodies of her friends all terrified her beyond belief. Those images would stay locked away if Twilight had anything to say about it. But that wasn’t what focused her attention on, there was something else.

Twilight’s eyes widened.

‘That Celestia damned name. The one the assassin said, but I cannot recall. With this council I have been pondering that far more lately, that must be it!’

“You might be right, I think there is something else.”

“Oh?” Chrysalis said. “Care to share?”

“Not right now. Later, but not now,” Twilight responded.

Chrysalis frowned. “Are you sure? I am here to talk whenever you need me, you know that right?

“Of course I do!” Twilight gave her mother a reassuring smile. “I just need to sort some things on my own. Whether I succeed or fail, I promise I will tell you when I am ready.”

“Well, alright. Just go steady OK?” Chrysalis asked of her daughter with profound motherly concern radiating off of her.

“I will, but haven’t we got a council meeting to get ready for?”

Chrysalis looked over to a clock on the desk, which read that it was eight forty, the alarm set to go off at nine.

“True,” Chrysalis stated. “We only have twenty more minutes to sleep anyway, and the council starts at ten. We might as well get up and ready now.”

Chrysalis moved away from Twilight’s bed and with a flick of her jagged black horn green magic took hold of her own bed’s sheets and straightened them out neatly. Twilight herself quickly vacated her own bed and did the same.

Twilight moved over to the desk and brought up a small mirror in her magic as she began to sort out her bed-head. Chrysalis looked on as her daughter did up her mane, while she herself simply flattened down a few loose strands and that was that, much to Twilight’s bemusement.

“We are going into the most important event changeling’s hold and you aren’t even going to do up your mane?” Twilight deadpanned.

“Since when were you so fussed?”

“Normally I am not. But in this case it is like dining with Princess Celestia; just without exquisite silverware placement!”

Chrysalis rolled her eye. “Oh no, whatever would Celestia do without exquisite silverware placement?”

“It is the proper thing to do!” Twilight protested.

“This is the same mare that set up the Grand Galloping Gala, just so it could be ruined. Twice. Do you really think she cares for any of that, truly?” Chrysalis smirked knowingly.

“Well…”

“And do you ever go to such lengths with me?”

“What? No! Why would I?”

“Because I am Queen?” Chrysalis suggested.

“But you are my mother! Why would I-"

Chrysalis raised an eyebrow.

Twilight pouted. “Alright, point taken. Never mind me; the mare with the three mothers over here.”

Chrysalis laughed heartily. “I do believe we have discovered the very title history will remember you by.”

Twilight could only groan.

“The Mare with Three Mothers? Or the Three Mothered Mare?” Chrysalis mused behind a muzzle wide grin.

Twilight could only groan louder.


Chrysalis and Twilight were admitted entrance to the council chamber by the two changelings guarding the one and only doorway leading inside. One of the guards was in blue and red armor; the other wore all green armor. Carduus was talking to another guard nearby in cyan armor going over a few final security checks as the long awaited council finally was about to begin.

Seven of the queens were already sat in their respective seats. Queen Crudelis, being the event’s organiser, sat in the seat at the ‘head’ of them all, examining all new arrivals intently.

Unlike the previous day, she barely spared Twilight and Chrysalis a glance as they walked into the chamber.

The other queens seated were Xerox, Plastron, Pupa, Tempora, Antannae and Queen Cocoon. Cocoon stood out to Twilight however, this was because there was a much smaller changeling royal stood by her side, to the left. Like her mother she had a teal coloured mane and green eyes, and also just like her mother her hair was cut short with a single braid hanging down.

“Who is that?” Twilight pointed at the unknown individual.

Chrysalis looked over to where Twilight was gesturing to, and shook her head. “I do not know. I was unaware Cocoon had birthed an heir. We will find out soon enough.”

“You highnesses,” a voice called to their right.

Both royals turned to see the drone in cyan armor that Carduus was conversing with approaching them.

“Yes, what can I do for you?” Chrysalis asked.

The drone levitated a list. “Your seats.”

“Ah, I see,” Chrysalis said. “Where are we located?”

“Four seats to Queen Crudelis’ left, on Queen Cocoon’s immediate left and Queen Draco’s right.

“Thank you.”

“Hold on,” Twilight interrupted. “I thought Crudelis’ drones were taking charge of organising all of this.”

“If they had their way,” the drone responded. “I am sure you are aware of Crudelis’ mixed reputation. Queens like Vulgaris and Antannae may trust her, but others such as my Queen Xerox do not. I’m sure you can sympathise, your highness.”

“Ah, I understand.”

The drone gave a respectful nod, before going off to direct the newly arrived Queen Orbata.

“Come Twilight, we best take our seats.” Chrysalis began to move forwards.

Nodding, Twilight followed. On reaching their assigned spot Chrysalis sat down in the chair while Twilight, being only a princess and not a queen, had to make do with standing to her mother’s right. She saw Orbata take a seat directly across from them while Queens Carapace and Acadica entered together next, shortly followed by Queen Ingrica.

When Twilight eventually looked to her right, she saw she was standing right next to the other princess she had spotted earlier. Like Twilight had been, the princess was studying all the arriving queens. The princess seemed to be of Twilight’s age and was but an inch taller, if even that.

This being the only other changeling princess Twilight had met by that point, there was only one thing to do.

Make friends.

“Hi, my name is-” Twilight began in a cheerful tone.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle,” the Princess finished without looking her way. “Yes, I know who you are. That drama in Canterlot made you light up like a pony Hearth's Warming tree. I don’t think there is a single changeling royal that doesn’t know of you by this point.”

“Oh… right,” Twilight half-chuckled. “And you are?”

The Princess turned to face Twilight for the first time. “Princess Insecta.”

“Well it is nice to meet you Insecta!” Twilight regained her cheery mannerisms.

Insecta seemed visibly uncomfortable. “Um… thanks?”

“So! Have you been to one of these before?”

“No,” Insecta responded. “It is my first time here.”

“It is? Are you nervous?”

“No,” she replied bluntly.

“Oh, alright. So… are there any other princesses you know of?”

“I have heard there is another that is far older than either of us. I do not know more than that however.”

“Vulgaris’ daughter, Imperious,” Draco said as she sat in her seat to Chrysalis’ left.

“Draco, how are you?” Chrysalis asked.

“Well. Eager to get this over with.”

“Agreed,” Chrysalis said.

On cue the final two queens, Pensylvanica and Vulgaris, entered the council chamber. When they both sat down on the opposite side of the room Twilight could see a changeling royal the size of a fully grown Changeling Queen standing by Vulgaris’ side.

“That would be Imperious then,” Insecta stated.

All conversation suddenly died as a flash of red caught the attention of all those present. When Queen Crudelis was satisfied she had all of their attention, she let her horn simmer out and spoke.

“If all are present, could all guards leave the room and take your positions outside. This is not for your ears.”

All of the guards, Carduus included, bowed to the gathered queens and left the chamber. The door was sealed shut behind them.

“Now that is taken care of,” Crudelis continued. “I am pleased to announce this council is now in session. Before we start, we have two new royals to welcome. Princesses Twilight and Insecta are new to the council, and are the heirs to their respective hives.”

All eyes turned to examine the two young princesses, and both couldn’t help but shrink back slightly under the scrutiny, causing Princess Imperious to scoff.

“We shall now move onto the first topic of this council,” Crudelis stated.

“Good,” Queen Xerox spoke. “Because we can finally get some answers.”

“Answers, dear Xerox?” Crudelis leaned casually in her chair. “Answers to what? The meaning of life?”

“Don’t play coy, Crudelis. What happened to Queen Vespula, and why is she dead?”

Murmurs spread throughout the group, all of the queens had obviously too wanted answers to that question.

“I think I can shed some light,” Draco spoke.

“Please then Draco, do tell,” Crudelis urged.

“I will. On conversing with Queens Xerox and Cocoon last night, I discovered the latter was the first queens to have drones on the scene.”

“It is true,” Cocoon confirmed.

Draco carried on. “When her drones arrived, like my own they discovered heavy fighting had taken place, and Vespula’s drones had fought to the last. Vespula herself was found in the throne room, beheaded.”

“Where are you going with this, Draco?” Crudelis asked simply.

“It must have taken a being of incredible power to take down Queen Vespula in, what appears to be, single combat. Also, when Cocoon’s drones arrived, there were no bodies of the attackers to be found.”

“So they had been cleared up beforehoof?” Vulgaris noted.

“Indeed,” Draco replied. “Except they left something behind,” Draco nodded to Queen Coccoon.

Cocoon nodded back before turning to Insecta. “My daughter, if you would please?”

Insecta’s horn lit up green as she brought around a bag from behind her mother’s seat, which she flung into the centre of the council chamber.

There was a loud, metallic clang as the bag’s contents came rolling out.

It was a charred helmet. A helmet coloured red and blue.

Voices erupted from the gathered queens as they all began to erratically shout over one another.

“Silence!” A red flashed emendated from Crudelis’ horn once more, bringing to council back to order.

“Queen Crudelis!” Xerox snarled. “Care to explain this?”

Crudelis smirked. “It appears I have been caught red hoofed. I killed Queen Vespula.”

Shock rolled through the assembled royalty.

“But why? Why kill her? She was no threat to you!” Queen Pensylvanica demanded to know.

Queen Crudelis sat at her full height. “I placed my trust in Vespula. A great amount of trust. Sadly, I was sorely disappointed with the results. She betrayed my trust, and she thus paid the price for it.”

“But death!?” Queen Orbata exclaimed. “Did she truly deserve that?”

Queen Ingrica nodded in agreement. “Look around you Crudelis. There were once thirty queens. Now there are nineteen. How much more will our numbers fall?”

“We have been worse off,” Vulgaris pointed out.

“Not by much,” Xerox rebuked.

“When she betrayed my trust she became a threat, and I dealt with it. Would you not have done the same?” Crudelis asked innocently.

As Twilight listened to the murmurs going around the room following the statement, she could tell the reactions were mixed. Some, like Vulgaris and her daughter, approved. Others, like Xerox and Cocoon, did not.

“I for one agree with Queen Crudelis, she eliminated a threat, nothing more,” Antannae said.

“Of course you would side with her, Antannae,” Queen Draco growled.

“We have our answers, but that is past now whether we agree or not,” Queen Carapace said. “What I wish to hear about is this little alliance between the Badlands Hive and Equestria.

“I agree,” Crudelis grinned as all eyes turned to Chrysalis and Twilight.

Chrysalis and Twilight glanced at each other briefly.

“What do you want to know?” Chrysalis asked after a pause.

“How, and why? Our race valued secrecy above all, now the whole world knows of us. It makes our lives just that little bit more difficult,” Queen Tempora spat.

“Why? I had to retrieve my daughter. And how? When assassins tried to kill Twilight the sun princesses assisted me in ending them, permanently.”

Chrysalis’ eyes narrowed. “The lead assassin was, by the way, a changeling.”

The queens shared glances between one another, all seemed surprised. All except for Chrysalis, Draco, Crudelis and Queen Plastron.

“You mean, one of us tried to kill her through an agent?” Queen Pupa asked in surprise.

“Alright, that I didn’t know,” Insecta muttered.

“He is the one who did this,” Twilight said to the other princess, gesturing to the scar.

“Yes,” Chrysalis spoke again. “And I have my suspicions as to who is behind this.”

“Do you have any proof as to whom?” Crudelis asked.

Chrysalis glared at her aunt. “No, which is why I won’t mention names. For now.”

“There is no need,” Queen Plastron smirked. “I know who he was.”

Chrysalis and Twilight stared. “You do?”

“I once had an… agent deep in Canterlot. He was almost caught about a year ago and had to pull out due to that damned green paste you provided them, Chrysalis,” Plastron glared at the other queen. “But during his time there he saw the body, and recognised him.”

“So, who was it?” Chrysalis asked impatiently.

“His name was Serpens. And he was an agent of Queen Vespula.”

“What?” Chrysalis’ eyes widened, as did almost every other queen’s.

Crudelis could only watch on in delight.

“Are you certain?” Chrysalis nearly shouted.

“Fully,” Plastron responded. “He was her main agent, one renowned for his lack of a conscience. A cold hearted killer to his core, caring for none. Well, except for his parents and sisters according to Vespula herself when we once spoke.

“Well then,” Crudelis began. “It appears that she didn’t only betray my trust, but yours as well my dearest niece. Aren’t you glad I wiped out that snake and her hive?”

“You killed the children, not just the Queen!” Draco shouted.

“I had to be thorough.” Crudelis brushed off Draco’s accusation.

“Do you believe this?” Draco whispered over to Chrysalis.

“It didn’t sound like a lie…” Twilight reluctantly admitted.

“No, it didn’t. Plastron would have no motive to do so,” Chrysalis sighed. “But there is still a missing piece to this endless damned puzzle.”

“You still think Crudelis is involved?” Draco asked.

“I don’t know!” Chrysalis hissed.

“Well now that that mystery is sorted, can we get back to the topic at hoof?” Queen Tempora deadpanned.

“Yes, please continue,” Crudelis seconded.

“We know why. But you still revealed us Chrysalis, infiltration and gathering love is that much harder now,” Queen Pupa said.

“You could try following our example!” Twilight blurted out.

“What was that?” Tempora stared daggers at Twilight.

Twilight stood firm. “If you could create an alliance with Equestria, make peace, collecting love could become so much easier.”

“Why would they accept us? You are close to the sun princess’ heart, we don’t have that privilege,” Orbata stated.

“Not all of us frolic in the fields with little ponies,” Princess Imperious sneered. “Some of us live in the real world.”

“My brother and sister-in-law preside over the Crystal Empire. If you are willing to negotiate I could help you gain access to some of the love held in the heart.”

“Bullshit,” Imperious dismissed.

“She is correct,” Draco said. “My grandmother traded with Queen Amore.”

“She what?!” Crudelis shouted in surprise.

“They traded various items for a regular supply of love, and Amore was kind enough to keep us hidden. It was a pretty good deal until King Sombra murdered Amore.”

“Then perhaps this is something we can pursue?” Xerox asked.

Cocoon and Insecta whispered to each other briefly, before the former spoke. “We agree.”

Vulgaris shook her head. “And cast off over a millennia of tradition? Our race is meant to remain in the shadows, it is as simple as that.”

“This is likely a topic for another time, for now we should move on to more immediate matters.” Queen Crudelis said.


The Crystal Empire



Two old cellar doors creaked open as a small muzzle sheepishly poked its way out. The sun was blinding to the nymph after being cooped up in the dark wine cellar for so long, but she could no longer stay.

Puellula was terrified. She was starving to death and in her mind only her sister could make it better.

She had to find her.

It would be difficult without a hive mind, but she was one determined changeling.

Securing her small saddlebags over her back she made sure her book, scavenged comics and what little physical food she had left were all present.

She then picked a direction, and began to walk.

Author's Note:

My cover art is finished! :pinkiehappy:

PreviousChapters Next