• Published 18th Oct 2015
  • 47,315 Views, 4,789 Comments

Change - tom117z



Twilight Sparkle is not who she says she is, she doesn't really know WHAT she is...

  • ...
150
 4,789
 47,315

PreviousChapters Next
20 - A Long Awaited Talk

Later that day...



“So what do you say egghead, want to take those wings for a spin?” Rainbow asked as if there was no other answer but yes.

Thus she would be sorely disappointed.

“Not yet Rainbow Dash, I have other things to take care of first.”

Twilight and her friends still sat in Canterlot Castle’s extravagant dining room. Celestia and Luna had left to attend to royal duties not long after Cadance had gone. Celestia’s announcement to Canterlot had undoubtedly already taken place, only time would tell how that went.

Rainbow launched herself into the air, throwing her forelegs wide. “Oh come on! What in all of Equestria could possibly be more important than learning to fly, and being taught to fly by the best flyer in all Equestria!”

“And the most modest,” Applejack sarcastically deadpanned, to Rainbow’s irritation.

“Well, what?” Rainbow said striking through the air, closing the distance between her and Twilight immediately.

“Seeing my parents,” Twilight responded, her voice unsure.

Rainbow backed off immediately. “Oh, right. That’s pretty important after… ya know… everything.”

“Yes Rainbow… it is. Don’t mind her sugarcube, ah’m still trying to teach her a thing called tact,” said Applejack.

Rainbow snorted. “Tact? What do you know about tact?”

“A darn sight more than you ah’d wager.”

“Yeah right, prove it!”

“Um, girls. Maybe we should get back on topic… you know… if you want to…” Fluttershy suggested meekly.

Rarity spoke next. “The darling is right, this is our friend’s well-being we need to consider!”

“Girls,” Twilight started. “I appreciate the sentiment, but you really don’t need to fuss over me. It’s not like I’m dying or anything.”

“Twilight’s dying?!” Pinkie shouted out, quickly retracting her head from a box of party supplies where she was storing the banner and party hats for possible future use. Obviously she hadn’t heard most of the conversation.

A panicky Pinkie pushed her fluffy pink face into Twilight’s black chitin covered one, “Oh my gosh Twilight you can’t die yet! What about all those parties I had planned for you over the next several thousand years! I know I won’t live that long but I’m sure my kids or something could continue my good work. Besides a funeral after-party is one party I really don’t want to plan! I mean, does a funeral after-party really count as a party? It’s more like a gathering of sad ponies and I don’t like sad ponies because it makes me really really sad that everypony else is sad and my mane goes droopy and everything! I mean there was this one time when I thought Gummy had died because he was just sitting there lifelessly, but then I realised he was alive and he always sits there like that! Who knew? I just petted him on the head and said, ‘Hey Gummy, want to make cupcakes?’ and then we made cupcakes! Girls I’m hungry now after all that cupcake talk who wants cupcakes?”

“What were we talking about again?” Pinkie finished with a question.

Several more seconds of overly awkward silence then occurred.

“…What?” Twilight broke the silence.

Pinkie simply shrugged and stuck her head back into the box of party supplies.

“Anyway darling,” Rarity continued as if nothing had happened, probably for the best. “It’s our job as your friends to give you all the support you need in these trying times.”

“And I appreciate that Rarity, I really do. It’s just… I feel like there are some things I need to deal with myself. My parents being one of them.”

“This family business sounds like it’s gonna get pretty complicated,” Rainbow remarked.

“Not really,” Applejack said. “Ah got family all over the place, and ah never found it ta be tha’ complicated.”

Applejack turned away from Rainbow Dash and looked at Twilight. “Everything is gonna be fine Twi, and as the Element of Honest ya’ll know ah’m not lyin’.”

“Thanks Applejack,” Twilight said before sighing, “I hope you’re right, I really do.”


Household of Night Light and Twilight Velvet, Canterlot



“Bills,” Night Light said in a monotone voice as he went through the day’s mail.

“Bills,” he repeated.

Both he and Twilight Velvet sat in their household’s living room. They sat on the larger sofa as Night Light went through all the letters piled on the small table in front of them. Velvet sat beside him, lounging while reading a romance novel.

“Bills, bills, more bills.”

Velvet rolled her eyes, barely holding in a sigh.

“Oh for Celestia’s sake!” Night Light broke the pattern."

“Honey?”

“Another letter from one of our neighbors saying how we must disown our own daughter because it’s ‘undignified’ to have a creature ‘like her’ as a part of our ‘noble’ family!”

Velvet didn’t even bother to hold the sigh this time as she placed a bookmark in her novel and placed it on the table.

“If I get one more letter like this from anypony else, ‘fellow nobles’ or not I’m going to find them and show them what I think of their freaking opinions of our daughter!” Night Light shouted, lighting his horn and burning the letter to cinders.

Velvet shimmied up to Night Light and gave him a very welcome, comforting hug. “Just ignore them, Nighty. Don’t give those idiots the satisfaction of any response.”

“I’m just worried dear, I just… want our daughter back.”

“I know. Celestia made that announcement earlier, maybe if we went we would have heard some news?”

“If there was any news don’t you think we would have been told first? That if she was back she would visit us right away?”

“This is Twilight we’re talking about honey,” Velvet chuckled.

Night Light couldn’t help but chuckle himself. “Good point. Still though… wouldn’t she-“

A knock on the door interrupted whatever Night Light was going to say.

“Who could that be?” Velvet asked to nopony in particular.

Night Light got up from the sofa and made his way to the household’s entrance hall, approaching the front door. When he opened the door a couple of stoic Solar Guards could be seen standing alongside five armoured individuals with the unmistakable profiles of changeling drones.

None of this however fazed Night Light, his attention was grabbed by the form in front of him.

She was almost unrecognizable, chitin as black as night, an almost translucent looking blue mane with a green highlight and sharp fangs hanging from her muzzle. And yet she was recognized instantly. The obvious cutie mark, the timid posture… and the ever-so-familiar sparkling, lavender eyes looking up at him in absolute terror.

“D-daddy?”

“Twilight? It is you, isn’t it?”

“Yes, it’s me… look if this is a bad time-“

“Don’t you even think about it young lady!” Night Light blurted while pulling Twilight into a warm hug, a tear rolling down his cheek.

“You’re not mad? I guess after my friends and the princesses I really shouldn’t be surprised.”

Night Light released Twilight. “Twily, if you didn’t overreact and needlessly panic about things you wouldn’t be, well… you, now would you?”

Twilight giggled. “Very true.”

Night Light gestured Twilight to enter, the others stayed outside to give the young princess some space.

“Who was it Nighty?” Velvet called through.

“Hi,” Twilight called in as she walked towards the living room entrance.

“Twilight?” Her adoptive mother stuck her head into the hall way.

“Hey m-“

“And what time do you call this?”

“Huh?” Twilight tilted her head, confused already.

“I mean, really? Not even a single letter to say ‘hey I’m OK by the way’? Do you have any idea how worried we’ve been? Tell her Nighty!”

Night Light simply shuffled into the living room and over to the sofa nervously.

“Honestly young lady, I have half a mind to ground you!”

“But, I’m an adult.”

“And I’m your mother!” Velvet finally shouted, running up to Twilight and crushing her into yet another embrace. This was becoming a theme.

Her voice came out at a near whisper. “Please don’t scare me like that again…”

“I promise,” Twilight hugged back, how had she ever doubted them?

“Good,” Velvet said as she finally calmed down, both her and Twilight taking seats around the table. “Now, I have a feeling we have some catching up to do?”

“Yeah… how much were you told?” Her face betrayed her fears.

“Enough. What’s she like?”

“Who do you mean?”

“Your… real mother.”

“You are my real mother, just as much as she is,” Twilight assured.

Velvet smiled. “I know Twily, I didn’t mean it like that. It’s just, I always knew you had other parents out there somewhere, I just never imagined she would be a queen.”

Velvet’s eyes suddenly lit up. “Which means my daughter is a princess! Take that Snooty Blue! Your son is a Prince in name only while mine will one day rule a kingdom! ‘Prince’ Blueblood my ass! You have no idea how long that old mare has been bragging about that! It’s been ever since you became Celestia’s student, Faust that whole family has a terrible ego complex.”

“Come on honey, Twilight doesn’t need to hear about your rivalry with Snooty Blue.”

Velvet huffed. “Fine, but I’m still going to shove it in her face and you can’t stop me!”

“Of course dear.”

Twilight chuckled lightly, it was good to see things haven’t changed. Everypony was right, everything was going to be just fine.

“So…” Night Light started in a way that immediately told you that your dad was about to tease you ruthlessly.

“Any of those changelings out there with you? I mean you never managed to find a coltfriend with a pony, so maybe with another changeling?”

“Dad!” Twilight groaned pleadingly.

“OK, OK sorry… so how about a marefriend?”

“DAD!”

Author's Note:

Phew, finally got the reunion stuff out the way, now I can finally progress the story again!

PreviousChapters Next