• Published 27th May 2012
  • 5,164 Views, 154 Comments

Smile Wide - AtrenGraves



A particularly dangerous sort of stranger is thrown into Equestria.

  • ...
14
 154
 5,164

I like this job. I like it...

It wasn't often that you'd find a pair of City Guards stationed outside a hospital room. The oddity of it was obvious to anyone with eyes; the hallway seemed too narrow, doctors and nurses lingered a little longer than usual, when they passed...

Never too long, of course, because the earth pony that stood at attention in front of the door was very big (and so very intimidating as well), and the unicorn sitting at his side would level a dangerous glare at anypony that didn't continue about their business.

Though that was as much a matter of her own poor mood as it was her protectiveness. And, unfortunately for her partner, she wasn't necessarily picky about how she expressed her irritation.

“We're wasting our time, here.”

Ironhoof sighed, because it was the third time she'd said it.

Except this time, instead of just leaving off to continue stewing, Haywire decided to elaborate. “Look, big guy. Featherbrain and his egotistical buddy have been on trying to track that thing for days, and every word is it skirted the bay right into the forest.” She grumbled, reaching up to adjust her helmet. “Either it's lost in the woods or sunk in the swamp. But it's not coming back here.”

“Better safe than sorry.”

She looked at her partner sideways, rolled her eyes. “We should be out finding it, big guy. Not sitting on our flanks while it keeps running.”

He grunted, glanced down. “Doesn't keep you from checking everypony that tries to get in.”

“Hey, I'm sick and tired of explosives getting sneaked past me.” She frowned, shot a quizzical look at the wall across from her. “Snuck?”

“Sneaken?”

An unwilling smile tugged at her lips, and she shook her head. “You're impossible.” The happy expression lasted for almost a full minute, a quiet, companionable silence settling in. But then there was another dark thought, and she scowled down at the floor. Scuffed a hoof on the tile. “...he's gonna be fine, right?”

Iron nodded. “The LT's a tough old nag.”

“Yeah, I know.” She gave the door a sullen look. “But he's still just a pony, y'know? And...I mean, I saw him, when they pulled him out of there.”

Silence.

“And...it's just, that thing? It's not just some...some wild animal. It was...smart. Really smart. I mean, it put together all those explosives with...just...things. Everyday...things.” Her brows drew together. “It put together a shaped charge to protect its door. I've only ever seen those in...in mining, or quarry work...”

“Smart's dangerous.”

Haywire snorted, and looked up again. “Yeah, you'd know all about that, huh?” He shot her the slightest smirk, rolling his shoulders with a soft clatter. “But it's not just smart, big guy. If it was just that, then we could...I dunno, talk to it. Or something. But...did you see the Lieutenant?”

“...evil.”

“Yeah...” She nodded. “Yeah, evil.”

“Need to stop thinking about it.” He shuffled, slightly, then leaned over to nudge her, lightly.

Or...relatively lightly. She wound up falling over in a tangle of limbs and a crash of copper plates. Shot him a glare when she finally scrambled to her hooves again.

“Uh...oops?”

His helmet clanged as she reared up to plant a hoof upside his head. His punishment meted out, she settled back down, the picture of wounded pride. “You're a menace.”

Iron's ears laid back as he sheepishly adjusted the helmet.

The quiet returned.


“I don't like it.”

Brightside looked up from the maps spread out in front of him. “Which part? Because none of it is what I'd call likeable.”

“You know what I mean.” Red Brass nudged a cold mug of coffee across the table. “None of it makes sense. None of it. And that makes even less sense.”

“You're talking in circles, Brass.”

Brass gave him a somber look. “That's what I'm saying.”

That gave Brightside pause. He took another careful look at the maps he'd been examining, then stood away from the table to approach the one that had been hung up. There wasn't any pattern...just one event after another...

“Shuffle a deck of cards. Is it random?”

“What do cards have to do with any of it?”

“It's just a thought.” Brightside shook his head, reached up to pull his helmet off and set it on the table. “But I think it's important...is it random?”

“I don't think so.” Brass looked thoughtful. “There's probably some kind of complicated way to figure out what order the cards are in. As long as you knew what order they were in to begin with.”

“That's what I figured...” A slow nod. “So that's what we're doing...trying to figure out what order the cards were in. If we're working under the assumption that it's not actually random, then there should be a pattern. Somewhere.”

“And we've been giving ourselves headaches trying to figure it out.”

“So far, yes.” Brightside heaved a sigh, settled back on his haunches. “This room is stifling. Remind me to talk to the Captain about redecorating.”

Brass snorted. “We've got some higher priorities here...”

“Yeah, I know...it'd be nice not to be dealing with mind-numbing surroundings while we're trying to solve an impossible puzzle.”

There were several minutes where the only sound was the soft rattle of armor and the crinkle of paper.

Red Brass was the first to speak, yet again.

“Maybe we need a new perspective.” He re-ordered the pile of reports in front of him. “The descriptions, some of the behavior...the thing's probably a carnivore-”

“Fruits and vegetables were stolen along with everything else.” Brightside pulled a nearby page toward himself, took a few moments to glance over it. “But it looks like there was some fish, too. Omnivore?”

“Yeah, well, that means predator behaviors, right?”

A nod. “You're thinking of bringing in a consultant?”

“Remember Grendel?”

“That griffin that helped break the Morning Star case, right?”

“That's the one.” Brass chewed his lip. “We keep in touch. He might be willing to help out.”

Brightside raised a brow. “You keep in touch?”

“What can I say? I have a taste for griffin board games. He's the only decent player I've ever run into.” Brass smirked. “We play sjakk by mail. He's in Manehatten, right now, two days travel, tops.”

“Write him, see if he'll swing by. I'll clear the consultation fee with the Captain...the Lieutenant laid up, he'll sign off on it just for the fresh eyes.”

Brass just nodded, taking up a pencil and spare scrap of paper. Brightside just kept turning the same old ideas over in his head, working in the new whenever he could. Red Brass finished his letter and left long enough to mail it, before returning to the cramped little room.

And Brightside really wasn't sure how he could stand coming back at all. Studying the same things over and over again was like pounding his head against the wall, and he was, frankly, quite sick of...it.

“...like pounding your head against the wall.”

“Huh?”

“It's just like pounding your head against the wall, Brass...we're trying to work backwards. Figure out what the plan might have been, based on what actually happened...”

“Like the cards, yeah, we've been over that.”

Brightside nodded, tapping a hoof lightly on the tabletop. “But we're just thinking in circles, and hitting dead ends...if we're sticking with the card metaphor, then what if we're wrong in assuming that the deck got shuffled?”

That earned him a confused look. “Y'lost me, buddy.”

“I'm saying...what if it looks so random because it really is?” He looked back up at the hanging map, his eyes wide. “What if, instead of shuffling the deck, the thing just threw it in the air and let it scatter?”

“So...so wait, what? That...doesn't make any sense. There'd be no point.”

“Exactly...exactly, exactly.” Brightside's expression twisted with distaste. “If I'm right, then there is no point. None.” He pushed the maps across the table, prodded each one in turn. “Just step, after step, after step...no goals, no pattern or scheme...just...”

“Random.”

“Yeah.”

“...that's not good.”

“I know.”

Brightside shook himself out, took up his helmet again. “I'm going to talk to the Captain.” A moment's pause to settle it on his head. “Round up your squad, see if you can track mine down, and tell them what we've come up with.”

“We got a game-plan?”

A strained, weary laugh. “Oh, I think I've got a plan.”


For a bunch of colorful little ponies, they were persistant.

“And here I was, thinking that this would get...boring.” Thinking...worrying, maybe. Watching them...eheh...chase their tails was just too good. And they did have tails, which made it even better.

The Joker adjusted his tie, picked up his dropped coat, and continued on through the brush.

Wilderness survival had never been a particular skill in his...repertoire, but improvisation was something that he was very good at. And really, how much 'skill' did someone need to know how to ditch a tail? It certainly didn't take any to know that if it bled then he could eat it.

Rabbit, he had decided, really did taste a little like chicken. Charred chicken, with little bits of fur that got caught in your teeth. He hadn't quite managed to skin the damned things with his stolen kitchen knives...and cooking over an open fire was really harder than it should have been. But he'd eaten worse, and the experience was definitely giving him ideas for some new...material.

It wasn't all...ha! 'Fun and games', though...no, those had to wait. For...three? No, four days, at least, he'd been slogging through woods and marshes, certain that he'd been going in circles until he'd finally come across a river.

That was easy enough to follow. And really...getting lost just made It easier to confuse your tail.

Unless they could fly. Which they could. Which meant that they just kept flying overhead, no doubt trying to catch a...a glimpse. Or a slip-up.

“But they won't.” He snickered, pushing through a tangle of thorns. “No they will not...”

They weren't a problem, in the long run. Not one bit. There weren't any problems. Just the next city, and the next gag...

He almost missed the flash of copper, high above, but something made him look up just in time.

Persistant.

Hiding in the shadow of a tree was surprisingly easy. And he stayed there, until the irritating little ponies had moved on. Carried on. Gone away.

“Hmph...” It hadn't been this much effort in Gotham. Nooo...no, there, it had been...simple. Very simple, to...shake things up. Here, though...big cities without a criminal element were normal. There weren't any...corrupt, greedy little snakes just standing around waiting to join the game.

Which made things...less simple.

“Ha! As if there's anything simple about, uh...a world full of color-ful, talking ponies.”

Complaining never helped anyone, though. In fact, it usually got them shot faster. “Heh...” With that...cheery thought, he started moving again. There would be something ahead...and hopefully it would be enough to alleviate his boredom.

Though, now that he considered it...maybe there was a way to do that...and solve a problem or two...


The room went quiet when Brightside trotted in, low murmurs fading into nothing. The majority of Lieutenant Steel's Guards, pulled from their normal patrols and the flagging investigation, and they were all anticipating whatever news would warrant that sort of change.

“Corporal Brass?”

“Everypony's here, but for the fliers. And they should be back in sometime tonight.” Red Brass nodded, waving a hoof at the others. “You gonna share your brilliant plan, now?”

“There isn't much to share...telling you all the plan isn't why you're here.” Brightside reached up to pull his helmet off, set it on the floor beside him as he shook his mane out. “The creature that perpetrated this fiasco is on the run. We don't know where it's going...and after a lot of thought, we can't even be sure it knows, either.”

“The thefts were for food and materials. But it didn't actually do anything with those materials except start fires in random spots all over the city. Kidnapping the Lieutenant...from what we saw, it didn't do anything except hurt him.” Brass shook his head. “It's all over the place, no rhyme or reason.”

“And you think it will stay that way.” Cross Stitch spoke up, looking more thoughtful than usual. “Meaning that it is, and will remain, an unpredictable danger.”

“Exactly.” Brightside gave a somber nod. “And from what we've been able to tell, it ran because we were closing in on it. It overreached in taking the Lieutenant, it must have known that. And it set traps, it hid whenever it could...it couldn't even hold onto a panicked pegasus. A civilian, hurt and half out of his wits.”

Haywire's grin was dangerous. “It's scared of the Guard. Has to be.”

“Not scared.” Ironhoof muttered. “Smart.”

“He's right.” Cross Stitch rubbed at his chin, nodding slowly. “Its intelligence cannot be questioned, at this point...and if it wishes to avoid the Guard, then it will most likely continue to do so.”

“But there are places that don't have a local force.” Brass pointed out, eyes narrowing as he considered Brightside. “The Guards in Manehatten would handle it fine, and if it went anywhere near Canterlot then it would have to contend with the cookie-cutters...”

“The Royal Guards,” Brightside leveled a glare at him for the comment, “would be more than capable of apprehending it. But you do see my point. If it finds its way into some small town somewhere...there won't be nearly as much reason for it not to start attacking more ponies.”

He took a deep breath. “Which is why I intend to follow it.”

It took a few seconds for the bit to drop, but when it did there was a sudden uproar. Uncertainty, fear, anger...only Red Brass stepping in kept Haywire and Cross Stitch from coming to blows. Considering their respective magical talents, it was probably a very good thing he did manage it.

“Quiet!” All eyes turned to Brightside again, and he pawed at the floor with obvious irritation. “I'm taking the both of you,” A pointed look at the unicorns, “and Ironhoof, along with a griffin consultant that should be here in the next couple of days. We're going to track this thing down and bring it in.”

Yes!” Haywire stood up, squaring off like she was ready to charge off that second. “We'll throw that thing into Tartarus so hard, it won't know which way is up!”

Cross Stitch winced, taking a careful step away from her. “Corporal, you cannot be serious. Jurisdiction alone would be an insurmountable obstacle...”

“The Lieutenant is still unconscious.” Brightside rested a hoof on his helmet, glared down at the ground. “The doctors aren't sure how well he'll recover, even with all the effort they've put into it...jurisdiction is the least of my worries at the moment.”

“He...he's right.” Marigold stepped forward, nibbling her lip. “I mean...what if it does find some place without Guards? And it just...if it does the same thing it did to the Lieutenant, because nopony was there to stop it...”

“Never thought I'd see the day, Brightside.” Red Brass grinned. “You're suggesting going off the books.”

“Not in so many words...I happen to know we've all got vacation time just waiting to be used.”

Cross Stitch didn't look amused. “With all due respect, Corporal...you've read far too many adventure novels.”

“I think it's a great idea.”

“Yes, the self proclaimed 'explosives' expert is agreeing with this plan. That eases my every worry...”

“Y'know, if I didn't know better, I'd say you're scared.”

“I rather enjoy upholding the law, thank you very much.”

“And what part of upholding the law is letting a dangerous creature get away on your watch!?”

Ironhoof stepped between the two before they could continue. “Corporal? Got anything more than 'follow it'?”

Brightside shook his head, smiling vaguely. “Not really, no.”

The big earth pony nodded. “I'm in.”

“So'm I!” Haywire was practically clambering over his back to grin at Brightside. “I'll put in for the time off right now.”

Cross Stitch was quiet, standing impassively even when everypony else had turned to look at him.

“...oh, fine.” He scowled, flicking an ear disdainfully as he turned away from them. “You'd all wind up as broken messes if I wasn't around to patch you up.”

“Gee, Stitchy. Didn't know you cared.”

“Don't you have vacation requests to file?”

“Aww, the poor widdle foal is sulking now...”

Red Brass chuckled, shouldering past Brightside on the way to the door. “Good luck, pal. Something tells me you're gonna need it just to get out've town.”

Brightside groaned, quietly, as the unicorns continued to snipe at each other. Maybe it really was a bad idea...

The door burst open, bowling Red Brass over as an armored pegasus rushed in.

Ow.”

“Corporal!? Sorry! In a rush!”

“Cloud Burst?” Brightside frowned, trotting toward the breathless Guard. “What's wrong? Where's Bluetip?”

“Weather team.” Was the gasped reply. “Flew back...halfway...to the Badlands.” He coughed, took a deep breath. “Forest fire.”

Red Brass pulled himself back to his hooves. Cloud Burst caught his breath. Cross Stitch and Haywire stopped fighting.

Brightside closed his eyes.

'And so it begins.' He heaved a tired sigh. 'Maybe we'll get lucky and catch it right away.'

And maybe dragons would decide to move to the frozen north.

'This is going to be one long vacation.'

Author's Note:

Shortish chapter, minimal editing. Mostly set-up/getting back into the swing of things. Also, added a couple character tags that were left off.

Enjoy!