• Published 18th Aug 2015
  • 7,481 Views, 250 Comments

Trapped in the Mirror of Worlds - Silver_Wing



It was supposed to be a simple day of helping Grandma clean out the attic. Then that mirror fell on me. Now I'm stuck in some strange place, in a strange body, with no idea if I'll ever make it home...

  • ...
17
 250
 7,481

A Party to Celebrate

It had been nearly a week now since Princess Luna had come to inspect the Guild and given us her seal of approval. The next day, some Unicorns from Canterlot’s Military surveillance branch came to the Guild and placed unobtrusive crystals all throughout the newly renovated Serenity Inn, and its immediate area. They looked like small spheres, no bigger than a golf ball, and they were set with magic either into either stone or wood. Aside from the bedrooms and bathrooms, one of these surveillance crystals were placed in every room of the Guild. My guess was that every square inch of the place, inside and out, was covered by the line of sight of one or more of these things. My assumption was that they acted like my worlds CCTV cameras, though whether or not they could pick up sound as well as visuals I didn’t know. It wouldn’t matter if they did anyway, the Princesses could have me wear one if they wanted. I had no plans to ever try and do anything against them, so I had nothing to hide.

I’d been eager to begin our first mission as soon as the Surveillance Unicorns had finished their job. The scroll Luna had left for me detailed quite a few things the Guild could potentially help with, but at the request of both Sky Flare and Gale, I agreed to hold off for a few more days. They were adamant that we needed to have a proper opening celebration for the Guild. Food, pictures, music, the whole works. I had wanted no part of it. Parties never really felt like someplace where I belonged, especially when I was part of the focus of it, but I could only refuse so much before Sky Flare won me over. This celebration wasn’t just for me after all, it was for the whole Guild. Sky Flare, Gale, Clyde, and even Winter. So how could I deny their moment to shine? Everyone had worked hard to make this happen, and they should all be rewarded for their efforts, even if that reward was just a simple party.

Sky Flare and Gale had been hard at work ever since, preparing every last detail for the event to come. They were inviting friends and family alike to come and take part in our little celebration. Breezy, Lemon Bloom, Black Mane, the Princesses and their friends, even a few guards from Canterlot that Gale was good friends with. I wasn’t sure yet if Winter was inviting anyone, and as for Clyde… He seemed just as hesitant about the idea as I was, but he was being good about it. He helped build a few tables and benches for our guests, then went about making sure everything was in working order until there was nothing left for him to do.

I had tried to get a message to Meadow Dawn and Stalwart Shield, to invite them to the party as well, but they hadn’t left me any sort of plan or schedule to their travels, so I had no idea where they could possibly be. I had been more than a little depressed by that. Dawn was one of my few friends after all, but there was nothing I could do. Luckily, or unluckily depending on how you look at it, all my attention shifted to the moment at hand when Sky Flare announced that one Ms. Ebon Ivora would be coming, and that she’d be bringing me a bottle of Dragons Kiss to commemorate the occasion. Dragon’s Kiss was the incredibly potent alcohol brewed by the Dragons of the south, and apparently, it had quite the kick to it. I almost left on our first Guild mission right then, but Sky Flare had made it quite clear that I wasn’t going anywhere until after the party was over.

With a sigh, I had resigned myself to my fate and turned my attention towards the path that led from the Guild to the edge of the Everfree Forest. Sky Flare and Gale had intended to put together a sort of Taxi service to get our guests from Ponyville to the Guild, so I did my part to help by posting Timber Wolves along the entire path to keep everyone safe.


It was still early in the afternoon, but already I could hear the sounds of wagons and carts rolling up the dirt path to the Guild. Caterer’s I assumed. Sky Flare had said that she’d hired a few to help with the event. None of us had the skills to cook anything more than basic meals, so we had to hire out for anything a little more exotic than oats on a plate or apple slices.

Sky Flare and Gale had insisted on taking care of pretty much everything, so with nothing better to do, I’d spent most the morning so far patrolling the path from the Guild, to make doubly sure everything was fine. The Timber Wolves seemed content enough with their task though, and nothing was out of place. I trusted them, but I still liked to help out with the leg work when I could. As usual though, the Timber Wolves had done a great job at keeping everything else in the forest away from our little area. So now, I had nothing better to do than simply pass the time in my room until everyone arrived. I knew it wasn’t going to happen, but part of me secretly hoped that everyone who did come tonight would forget that I was here.

“Ey, Silver!” a voice thundered from the other side of my door, startling me with its volume.

“Silver, you in there?” The voice came again.

I sighed and turned my eyes up towards the ceiling. ‘And that would be Karma knocking, right on cue.’

Without waiting for a reply, the pony beyond barged into my room and looked around.

I wasn’t surprised to see that it was Breezy. He shared Sky Flare’s blunt and straightforward attitude, so who else would have come barging into my room uninvited.

“Aha!” he exclaimed, “Found ya!” He grinned at me and trotted over. “Sky Flare said you’d probably be hidin’ in ‘ere. Guests are starting to trickle in now, so I’m ‘ere to tell ya to get your feather’s out there and be a good host.”

I smiled wearily at him and nodded. “I guess-” I started, but Breezy cut me off.

“Ain’t nothin’ to guess at boy!” he laughed, “You got my daughter, and the lovely Ms. Ivora waitin’ for ya. Don’t know what they got in mind, but they’re both right giddy at the thought a you entertainin’ em tonight.”

“Ah… Great…” I sighed. Breezy cocked a question eye at me and I shrugged. “They want to get me drunk,” I explained, “Apparently I’m oh so fun when I’m “three sheets to the wind” as she puts it.”

Breezy let out a roar of a laugh and patted me on the shoulder with a wing. “Oh you’ll be fine,” he chuckled, “I seen ‘ow you can be first hoof, and ya got nothin’ ta worry about. I mean, sure ya sang a few songs and danced a jig that my dear Lemon Bloom still turns red at the thought of, but it was all in good fun.” He smiled at me parentally and nodded towards the door. “Just try a little a the brew I brought. Might help ya relax some. This is a celebration after all. Ain’t no shame in letting’ loose for a change.”

“Oh yeah?” I said, eying him seriously, “Then why don’t you take the first shot. See how it goes for you.”

“Ya challengin’ me ta a drinking contest boy?” Breezy asked, a clear glint of confidence flaring up in his old eyes.

I shook my head. “No,” I said, “I just mean the stuff they want me to drink is supposed to have a bit of a kick.”

“Oh yeah?” Breezy said, “An’ what is it they got?”

“Something made by Dragon’s apparently,” I said, “Dragon’s Kiss.”

“Dragon’s Kiss!?” Breezy exclaimed, “Oho no, you poor poor boy…”

I did not like that reaction. “You’ve tried it before I take it?” I asked.

“Once,” Breezy said with a grave nod, “And only once. I aven’t ‘ad a lick a that stuff since I married my dear Lemon Bloom.”

“Why not?” I asked. I was already apprehensive about this drink, but if even Breezy is scared of it, I knew I was in for some serious trouble.

“I remember, well, I remember the stories of the night I had three shots a the stuff…” He said slowly, “It wasn’t pretty. And by the time all was said an’ done, I woke up the next day in the middle a Canterlot Square in ‘igh heels and a bonnet. Imagine, me in a bonnet!” He let out a weak laugh then sighed, “I’ve sworn the stuff off ever since. That brew’s made by Dragon’s, for Dragon’s. Ain’t somethin’ any pony should just knock back cause ‘e can.”

My heart sank at his story and my mind began to race as I tried to think of some way to get out of having to drink this Dragon’s kiss, but Breezy’s next words shot down any fleeting idea’s I may have had.

“That being said though,” He started again, “It ain’t easy ta come by, nor is it cheap. So, if my daughter and Ms. Ivora went outta their way to get you a bottle, you’d best stallion up and have yourself a glass.”

“W-what!?” I gasped, “But you just said-”

“I know what I said boy!” He cut in, “Just stick to the one an’ you’ll be fine. Two at most! If you ‘ave three…” He shook his head and looked at me seriously for a moment, before finishing, “…May Celestia take pity on your soul…”

I groaned aloud and dropped my head in defeat. This night was not going to go well for me, I just knew it.

“Oh cheer up,” Breezy laughed, “This’ll be a night to remember! Well, a night for me ta remember anyhow. You on the other hoof… Well, I’ll be sure and tell ya all about it tomorrow.” He laughed again and trotted out of my room, not bothering to close the door behind himself.

I glanced back at my bed, half hoping it would somehow save me from what was to come, then reluctantly followed after Breezy. It’s not like I could just stay in my room all night anyway, though heaven knows I wanted to. Now more than ever.


I followed Breezy outside and quickly found quite a few new Ponies milling about the clearing before the Guild entrance. There were at least twenty Ponies of all make and color chatting amongst themselves and eagerly eyeing the many platters and desserts set up around them. I was right in my assumption that the carts I’d heard did indeed belong to the caterers, but the wagons were all full of guests. Gale and Winter were leading yet another wagon of Ponies in as I glanced along the path through the forest.

I shook my head and sighed internally. Just how many Ponies did they invite? All of Canterlot?

“You feelin’ all right there?” Breezy asked, noticing my downturned face, “Got plenty a refreshments comin’ now if you need somethin’.”
I glanced in the direction Breezy gestured and watched as tray after tray of prepared food was carried out from the catering carts and set atop the many tables Clyde had helped build earlier. Drinks and desserts too were being placed all around, with the occasional flower or other such decoration mixed in for added allure. The tables had been arranged in a large semicircle around the nearer half of a huge fire pit. Wood was already piled high and shimmered in what could only be an accelerant of some kind, but it hadn’t been lit yet.

Taking a second glance around the gradually filling clearing, I spotted high standing torches dotted all around the area. They were also unlit, but once the sun had set, they would serve to light the area quite nicely. Further out, strands of sparkling lights were strung up from poles along the outer most edge of the Guild grounds. Unlike the torches however, these lights were on, though I couldn’t see what was powering them from where I stood on the porch. Signs were posted at the base of each of the border poles with clear warnings not to venture into the forest. I couldn’t read what the text at the top of the signs said from this distance, but it doesn’t take a genius to know what a Pony with a big red cross over it meant.

Aside from the tables, none of this had been setup the last time I was out here, and I was amazed that so much could be done in what couldn’t have been more than a few hours.

“Ah, Guild Master Silver Wing,” a voice mused from nearby, “How kind of you to finally join us.”

I glanced to the source of the voice and found Princess Luna smiling at me from a few feet away. Her Sister, Princess Celestia stood beside her with an equally contented smile. Floating beside the two of them were tall, narrow glasses half full of a dark liquid I assumed was wine of some sort.

I bowed my head and returned their smiles. “Good afternoon, Princesses,” I said quickly, “I hope you enjoy the party.”

“Oh yes,” Celestia said, “I am certain that we will. Though I must say, I am looking forward to seeing this dance of yours.”

“W-what dance?” I gasped.

Celestia eyed me curiously for a moment, then explained in her usual motherly tone. “Sky Flare has informed us all that you have quite the repertoire of dance moves,” she said, “A demonstration was to be given later tonight.”

“Damnit Sky…” I groaned aloud before I could stop myself.

“I now see why she had also said you would need a little encouragement,” Luna chuckled softly, “Though you have little qualms with fighting our Guards before an audience, it would seem that something as commonplace as song and dance is your weakness, Silver Wing.”

“Not once ‘es ‘ad a lick or two a my wine, I can assure you a that!” Breezy laughed. He gave me a hard slap on the back with one of his wings and trotted off towards a group of older looking Ponies that were laughing nearby.

“Fear not, Silver Wing.” Celestia said comfortingly. She stepped closer and continued in a hushed voice, so that only I could hear her. “Song and dance are as loved and commonplace here as an evening meal. Even the very young can carry a tune, or feel the rhythm of music by the time they can walk. When it comes to this sort of thing, you have nothing to fear by revealing some of your worlds uniqueness.”

“We’ll see if you still think that way come tomorrow,” I sighed, “But I do appreciate you giving your permission… That does help a little. I guess.”

Celestia smiled down at me for a moment, then together with her Sister, wandered off towards a nearby table that was filled to the brim with pastries of all kinds.

Now alone again, I debated slipping back into my room while no one was watching, but karma just wouldn’t allow it.

“There you are Silver!” Sky Flare’s unmistakable voice called to me, “It took my dad long enough to get you out here.”

Glancing towards her voice I watch as she landed softly beside me and frowned at her heavily.

“What?” she asked.

“What’s this I hear about me showing off some dance moves tonight?” I asked flatly.

“Oh…” She said, then paused sheepishly. “Oh you know, I may have mentioned a word or two about it to a few Ponies. It’s no big deal though, I’m sure you’ll be great.”

“And what if I don’t want to dance?” I asked, trying not to raise my voice at her attitude.

She shrugged carelessly. “Then you’ll be letting down all the Ponies that came expecting to see your great moves.” she said simply.

My frown deepened at that. “I will feed you to my Wolves Sky Flare.” I growled softly, “You know I don’t like crowds. Even less so when they’re focused on me!”

“And that’s why we have a little something to take your mind off everypony here,” she said happily, “But we’ll save that treat for later, for now, go be sociable. Introduce yourself, have some cake make a new friend. I’ll come get you when it’s time to light the fire and get the real party going.”

With that, she took off into the sky once more and soared over the gathering towards the growing row of wagons at the far edge of the clearing.

I took a deep breath to steady my nerves and started towards the nearest group of Ponies. I wouldn’t actually feed her to my Timber Wolves, but there was nothing stopping me from slipping the entire pack of them into her room one night and ordering them not to let her leave until I think she’s learned her lesson.


The rest of the afternoon was spent greeting new arrivals and mingling with the majority of the Ponies that had already arrived. I hadn’t met everyone yet, barely even half by my count, but there was only so much time in the day.

Excusing myself from the latest group of Ponies I’d never met before this day, I found Gale to be trotting towards me with a purposeful expression.

“What’s up, Gale?” I asked as he came to a stop before me.

“Sky Flare has sent me to come get you, Guild Master,” he said formally, “The sun will be setting shortly, so it is time to light the bonfire and the torches.”

I nodded my understanding and followed Gale to the large fire pit in the center of the now bustling clearing.

Sky Flare and both Princess Luna and Celestia stood expectantly as I approached them.

“There you are Silver,” Sky Flare said smiling, “Now we can begin!”

I took up a place beside Sky Flare and looked out nervously at the gathered group before us.

‘At least there weren’t as many Ponies here today that there was at the demonstration beneath the Palace in Canterlot.’ I told myself. I don’t know how I would have managed if that had been the case.

I felt a nudge in my side and found Sky Flare to be leaning close to me. “You owe me big time for this.” She whispered.

Before I could ask what she was talking about, she gave a quick flap of her wings and rose into the air. She climbed only about ten feet or so, then assumed a graceful hover.

“Attention everypony!” she called out, grabbing the attention of all in earshot, “I would like to thank you all for coming to the official grand opening of the Timber Wolves Guild!”

A chorus of stomping applause filled the clearing and Sky Flare raised a hoof to politely silence the crowd.

“I know that many of you don’t fully know or understand the purpose for this Guild,” She continued, “But in time, through either personal experience or by word of mouth, the name of this Guild and that of our Guild Master will be known by all in Equestria! Our purpose is a simple one, to help those in serious need. Ponies far and wide need only send a letter to us here and we will do whatever we can to help out. But, before we can help anypony, we need your help first. We need you to get the word out about us. To tell those in need that there are Ponies who can help them if they only ask. Many of you here today have ties to the local newspapers or dealings with towns far and wide. We humbly request that tell any you may think could benefit from our aid that we are here, and that we can help.”

Sky Flare’s words caught me a little off guard. I had no idea she was planning a speech like this, nor did I realize her goal in inviting so many Ponies. In my mingling with those she had invited, I’d met at least a dozen mail Ponies, and countless more who had businesses both near and far. If even half of the Ponies here today told others about us, our name and purpose would spread like wildfire throughout the major places in Equestria, and from there to the lesser towns and hamlets.

“But enough about all that,” Sky Flare finished with a laugh, “I know you’re all really here for these lovely desserts!” She gestured to the tables spread out beneath her. “You can thank our friends from Ponyville’s Sugercube Corner, Mr. and Mrs. Cake for bringing them all the way out here for you all to enjoy tonight!”

There was a further stamping of applause, then I caught a smirk cross Sky Flare’s lips as she found me watching her. She drifted back to the ground beside me and let out a long sigh.

“I hate giving speeches,” she chuckled nervously, “Even small ones.”

“You do them very well,” Celestia commented, “I doubt there will be any here than will not spread word of this Guild to those whom they meet in the coming days.”

“Here’s hoping.” Sky Flare said, then she turned her attention to me. “Next time,” she said softly, “You get to do the speech, Mr. Guild Leader.”

I smiled at her and shook my head quickly. “But you do them so well!” I protested teasingly, “Maybe you should be Sky Flare, spokesperson for the Timber Wolves. You’ve clearly got the knack for it.”

She snorted at me in amusement and shook her head. “Hay no,” she said, “I’m not the Guild Leader here, you are. From now on, the spotlight’s all on you.”

Before I could reply, she turned to the Princesses and bowed her head low, “Whenever you’re ready, your Highnesses.” She said.

I was about to ask what they were ready for, when I saw the now familiar glow of magic creep up both Celestia and Luna’s horns. In a few moments, the sun was setting smoothly, while simultaneously, the moon rose up to take its place in the sky above.

I’d seen them do this a few times before, but it still amazed me every time. It was unfathomable to think that magic could be so strong that it could literally move the heavens themselves, yet here it was, doing just that.

Abruptly, darkness fell over us and I wondered why Sky Flare hadn’t lit any of the torches before sun set. Before I could voice my thought however, a burst of flame rose up from the fire pit nearby, and in an instant the entire pile of wood was ablaze. Then, with a series of lesser eruptions, all the torches within the clearing set themselves alight one after the next. It was like someone had flipped a switch. One second, there was darkness, the next, the clearing was flooded with the warm yellow glow of firelight.

“How-” I started, then stopped myself. Magic, I realized, anything that seemed strange or impossible in this world could almost always be attributed to magic.

I caught a smirk cross Princess Celestia’s lips and knew my assumption was correct.

“Now this party can officially begin!” Sky Flare said, nudging me with a wing, “Ivora should be around here somewhere, you stay put while I go track her down.”

“I don’t know Sky, maybe-” I started, but she walked away without even so much as batting an ear.

“You will be fine, Silver Wing,” Celestia chuckled, “Just allow yourself to relax and enjoy this night. It is for you after all.”

“Not just for me,” I corrected as politely as I could, “It’s for everyone involved. And speaking of everyone, I should go congratulate Gale and Clyde. They’ve put as much into this as I have, if not more.” I bowed my head to the Princesses, then slipped away into the crowd to find my friends.

I managed to track down Clyde first. He stood at least a full head taller than everyone else here, so he wasn’t too hard to spot near the far edge of the crowd. He looked about as nervous as I felt, but he had a plate of pastries set beside him, so at least he’d done some mingling.

“Hey Clyde,” I called as I came up to him, “Enjoying yourself?”

He nodded slowly then looked past me to everyone else. “Few too many Ponies for my liking,” he admitted, “But they seem nice enough.”

“Yeah, I think so too.” I agreed, then I looked at him seriously and bowed my head. “I know I’ve thanked you before, but I feel I should do so again. You’ve helped more than anyone else. Without you, we never would have gotten that old wreck turned into a Guild Hall and up and running as fast as we did. You’re a huge asset to this Guild Clyde, and a good Pony to have around. Thank you for being a member of the Timber Wolves.”

Clyde snorted at me as a smile crept over his face. “Ain’t nothing to thank me for,” he said, looking away from me to hide his smile, “You needed a good set of hooves, and mine are as good as they come.”

“That they are,” I said, “Still, thank you for all you’ve done.” I bowed my head again and with a smile of my own, trotted back into the crowd to look for Gale.

I found him before long, talking to Black Mane. Two other Pegasai were with them, and it took me a moment to recognize who they were, or at least, who I thought one of them was. The closer I got, the more confused I became. The other Pegasai Gale was talking to was Skyros, the Pegasus I had fought with during Princess Luna’s demonstration. But there were two of him. Both looked identical to one another. Their builds were slim, their coats were black, and identical golden streaks ran through their purple tails. As I slowed my approach due to my scrutinization of the two Pegasai, they spotted me and waved me over.

“Silver Wing!” Black Mane laughed as I neared, “You go from not knowing how to fly, to setting up something like this in what, barely half a year? I never would have believed it if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes. And in the Everfree Forest of all places! It’s a good thing most of these Ponies aren’t from around here. If they were, you’d never have gotten them to set one hoof in this place.”

“Luckily, this little patch is well protected,” I said, “So long as no one wanders off, none will be the wiser.”

“True,” Black Mane said with nod, “Still though, I nearly thought Gale here was trying to take me for a Colt when he told me you’d tamed the Timber Wolves. How ever did you manage such a thing?”

“Oh, you know,” I said jokingly, “All it takes is a good knock to the head and most see their way to being my friend.”

Black Mane laughed and moved a forehoof to rub the back of his head. “Can’t deny that one,” he admitted, “I swear I still have a bump on the back of mine from that blow.”

“Trust me,” I chuckled, “I got way more than you did.”

He threw his head back laughed heartily.

“Silver Wing,” Gale slipped in, “I’d like to introduce you to a couple friends of mine since you’re here.” He gestured to Skyros and the other Pegasus that looked identical to him in my eyes.

Now that I was closer, I couldn’t spot a single difference between the two Pegasai before me. Even their cutie marks were the same. A simple pair of clouds, side by side in the sky.

“I know you met Skyros during the demonstration you put on for Princess Luna.” He said, gesturing to the Pegasus on the left.

Skyros lifted a hoof and waved a greeting.

“But this is his twin brother Soryks,” Gale explained, “I’ve known them both since they were Colts. Taught them to fly their first year at the academy.”

Twins! I realized, of course! Why hadn’t that idea crossed my mind before now? I’d never met a Pony with a twin before, but if it could happen in my world, it made sense it could happen here too.

“And a hard year that one was, ey Skyros?” Soryks laughed, and nudged his brother with an elbow. Then he gave me a polite bow of his head and added, “It’s an honor to finally meet you, Silver Wing. The way you fight is incredible!”

I fought not to break into a grin at his praise and forced a friendly laugh instead. “Thank you,” I said, “But your brother, and I’d assume you as well, fight very well too. Your brother almost had me a few times in our fights.”

“Almost only counts with horseshoes and lighting bolts,” Skyros said with a laugh, “But thanks all the same.”

“We were just discussing the potential candidacy of Skyros and Soryks joining the Timber Wolves when their term in the Palace Guard is up,” Gale explained, “I have told them much about what our plans are, and they both are more than willing to lend a hoof to our cause. Assuming they earn your approval of course.”

I looked at Gale in surprise. “Well,” I started, a little unsure what to say, “Skyros can definitely fight good enough, and I know from my experience with him that he’s got a sense of fair play, but won’t they be missed at the Palace? The point of this Guild is to help where the Canterlot Military can’t. And taking my roster from theirs would be a little counterproductive, no?”

Gale nodded his understanding, then explained. “I understand your confusion,” he said, “Allow me to explain. Every member of the Canterlot Military serves a set term. Once that term is up, they are free to do with themselves what they wish. Most choose to re-enlist. Other’s take their earnings and make a life for themselves in Canterlot, or return to their homes to settle down. Skyros and Soryks will be coming to the end of their current term in a few months time, and if you will have them, they would make valuable members of the Timber Wolves.”

“Ah.” I said with a nod. That made perfect sense now that he’d explained it. It was no different than my worlds military. You sign up, get trained, and are in for a set amount of time. Once that’s done and over with, you’re free to return to civilian life, or re-enlist. “Well, if you think they have what it takes, that’s good enough for me.” I said honestly. I turned my attention to Skyros and his brother Soryks and smiled. “Come see me when your term in the Canterlot Military ends and we’ll put you to work before you know it.”

“That sounds great!” They both said in unison, “You won’t regret it!”

I chuckled at them then smiled back at Gale. “I know the Princesses sent you out here originally, but I just wanted to say thank you Gale,” I said to him with a bow of my head, “You’ve been a huge help, and it is very much appreciated.”

“It’s been a pleasure, Guild Master Silver Wing,” he said, returning my bow, “It’s been one of the more memorable assignments I’ve ever had. And I can honestly say that I’m looking forward to seeing just how well this place works.”

“We all are,” Black Mane added, “And if you run this place as well and you can fight, all of Equestria is in for a welcome surprise.”

“Silver Wing!” A new voice called from nearby, “I’ve been looking for you!”

Holding back a sigh, I found Princess Twilight Sparkle excitedly trotting up to greet me. I glanced back to Gale and the others and dropped my head slightly. “If you’ll excuse me,” I said, “I have a feeling this will take a while…”

They chuckled in understanding and left me to face Twilight Sparkle’s eager greetings.

The moment she was within casual speaking distance, an onslaught of questions burst forth from in a torrent. “You have to tell me everything you’ve learned about the Timber Wolves!” she said quickly, “Princess Luna said you’ve tamed some of them. How did you do that? What do they eat? Where do they sleep? Do they even sleep for that matter? Oh, I have so many questions!”

“Oh come on Twilight,” another pony cut in before I could say anything, “Leave the egghead talk for some other time and enjoy the party!”

I looked for the second speaker and found it to be a light blue Pegasus with a rainbow-colored mane. I recognized her instantly as the one that had beaten me at the race in Canterlot months ago, Rainbow Dash.

Twilight sighed and nodded her head reluctantly. “Alright alright,” she said, “But you have to tell me everything about them later, alright Silver Wing?”

“Sure thing.” I said, thought I really didn’t want to at that moment. As nice a Pony as she was, I’d spoken with Twilight Sparkle enough to know that when she started talking about something she was interested in, there was almost nothing that could stop her again.

Twilight glanced from Rainbow Dash back to me and gasped as a thought struck her. “You two haven’t really met before have you?” she said, “Silver Wing, this is my good friend, Rainbow Dash. Rainbow, this here is Silver Wing.”

“We did sort of meet at the race in Canterlot,” I said, then looked to Rainbow Dash, “You left me in the dust.”

“Oh yeah,” she said, “I remember you now. You weren’t half bad, compared to the rest of the racers there anyway.”

I smirked at her comment and shrugged. “I was still learning back then,” I said, “I’ve gotten a lot better at flying now.”

She eyed me seriously for a moment, almost as if measuring my worth, then shrugged carelessly. “So, you’re making a Guild huh?” she said, “That’s cool. Not as cool as the Wonderbolts, but still pretty cool.”

“Thanks,” I chuckled, “I’m hoping it’ll help in the long run.”

“I should introduce you to the rest of my friends while we’re all here,” Twilight chimed in, “Come on, Rarity’s just over here with Apple Jack.”

I shook my head in amusement at the names of her friends and followed Twilights lead. There was such a variety to everything here and it still amazed me. More than just that, everyone seemed to get along. I’d stumbled across quite a few issues sure, but racism had never been one of them. There was the odd superiority complex, like with Malican, but in general, everyone accepted one another without question, no matter what they looked or sounded like. Leave it to a bunch of talking Ponies to do what so many in my world still couldn’t fathom. It was inspiring.

“Hey girls,” Twilight called as she neared her friends, “I’d like the two of you to meet Silver Wing, he’s the one in charge here.”

I looked the two Ponies over quickly. One was a Unicorn, with a well washed coat of white, and a rich dark blue mane and tail. Her cutie mark looked like a trio of glittering jewels and I wondered if that meant she liked money. The second, was a light orange Earth Pony with a tan cowboy hat atop her yellow mane. Interestingly, she wore her mane in a ponytail of sorts, and her cutie mark looked like three red apples.

“Silver Wing, I’d like you to meet Rarity.” Twilight went on, gesturing to the white Unicorn, “She runs a boutique in Ponyville.”

“A pleasure to meet you, Silver Wing,” Rarity said, then she paused as she eyed my vest curiously. “I must say,” she went on, “You have a lovely vest. Is that Zebra iron silk? With Starspider thread stitching? You positively must have me patch it for you if ever you have need of repairs! And there would be no charge of course. To work on something of such magnificent quality as this would be all the payment I’d need.”

“Uh, sure thing.” I said. I knew Breezy had said this vest was well made, but I didn’t think it was that awe inspiring. Either that, or this Unicorn really liked her clothing.

Twilight chuckled a moment, then smiled at her other friend. “And this is Applejack,” she said, “She runs Sweet Apple Acres, just outside Ponyville.”

“Howdy.” She said, in a heavy country accent.

“I thought I’d seen you somewhere before,” I said, recognizing her by voice more than anything, “When Sky Flare and I first came to Ponyville, you were in an orchard. You gave us directions.”

Applejack nodded. “You know what, yer right!” she said, “I thought you were just a couple a lost folk, who’d a thought you’d wind up being our newest neighbors.”

“At the time, I hadn’t expected to wind up as anyone’s neighbor,” I said, “But I’m glad everyone’s so friendly.”

“If you’re wantin’ friendly,” Applejack laughed, “Look no further than Pinkie Pie over there.”

She gestured off to my left, and following her gaze, I spotted a bright pink Earth Pony eagerly hopping up and down before a far less energetic looking Pegasus.

“We’ll be back,” Twilight said to her friends, “Come on Silver Wing, I’ll introduce you to her before she bolts off somewhere else.”

I wasn’t much of a fan of the whole meet and greet game, but I didn’t let on. As much as I disliked being the social butterfly at a party, it would be better for the Guild if its leader didn’t come off as an antisocial jerk, especially with a Princesses friends.

“Pinkie!” Twilight called, “I have somepony for you to meet!”

I heard a sharp inhale of what I could only assume was excitement, then almost before I could blink, the pink Pony was right in front of me. She squeed at me in high pitched voice then began bouncing up and down like a small rabbit.

“I’ve never met you before!” she said cheerfully, “Or even seen you! No wait, yes, I have! You were at the Annual Canterlot Race! You came in second place, just behind Rainbow Dash! Your name is Silver Wing, the Guild Master of the Timber Wolves Guild!”

She spoke almost too fast for me to understand her, and her excited hopping was starting to make me dizzy. I shook my head to clear my momentary daze and nodded. “Yeah, I’m Silver Wing,” I said, “And you’re Pink-”

“I am pink!” she cut me off, “But that’s just my color. My name is Pinkie Pie! Oh wait, who’s that huge Earth Pony over there!? I’ve never met him before either, bye!”

She dashed away like a blur of pink motion and I glanced to Twilight in utter confusion.

She just smiled at me and shrugged. “That’s out Pinkie Pie,” she chuckled, “She’s always so excited to meet new Ponies.”

“You can say that again.” I sighed, grateful that she was gone. I heard Pinkie Pie squeal excitedly and, looking in the direction she had went, realized that she’d spotted Clyde. I felt sorry for what was about to happen to him, but I was just glad that I was no longer her target.

“And last but not least, we have Fluttershy,” Twilight said, returning my attention to the Pegasus Pinkie Pie had been talking with before we came up, “Fluttershy, this is Silver Wing. He’s the one I told you about, the one who befriended the Timber Wolves.”

“Y-you’re the one who befriended the T-timber Wolves?” she said hesitantly, “T-that’s impressive... They don’t usually like anypony…”

I eyed the nervous Pegasus curiously. She had a long pink mane, and a soft yellow coat. She spoke in a voice that was almost too quiet to hear over the constant chatter around us, but what little I could catch hinted at a gentle, sweet sounding voice.

“They didn’t like me very much at first,” I admitted, “In fact, they almost killed me the first time I ran into them.” I laughed, then quickly decided to change my topic of conversation as I saw a wave of very real terror creep over Fluttershy’s already nervous face. “But they’re quite different now,” I said quickly, “A few are even cuddly, if you don’t mind the occasional splinter or two.”

“T-that’s good…” she said, then fell silent.

‘Well, the “Shy” part of her name certainly fit.’ I thought. I felt a little unsure what to say to break the silence that had crept over us, and looked to Twilight for help.

Twilight smiled at me for a moment, then looked to Fluttershy. “So, what happened to your friend, Fluttershy?” She asked, “That brown Pegasus with the scarf?”

“O-oh, you mean Winter Light?” Fluttershy said. A faint smile crossed the corner of her mouth for just a moment, then faded again as she spoke further. “I think I scared him away…”

You scared him?” I said, a snort of disbelief slipping out before I could stop it.

Fluttershy nodded, then explained quietly. “He seemed nice. We were talking, then I asked about the red Pegasus that had been setting up the decorations when we arrived. He had just started telling me how mean and scary she apparently is, when she walked by. He disappeared after that…”

I stifled my laughter and shook my head. “And I thought Karma had it out for me.” I mused to myself.

Fluttershy looked up at me quizzically and I shook my head. “Never mind,” I said, “It’s a long story. But I’m sure Winter will be back again at some point, he’s… Persistent.”

“Oh, okay…” Fluttershy said, then she fell silent once again.

I smirked at her for a moment, then returned my attention to Twilight. “Thanks for introducing me to your friends,” I said, “But I should really go find Sky Flare now. If I don’t find her first, she’ll be… Well…” I glanced to Fluttershy for a moment, then back to Twilight, “…Scary.” I finished.

Twilight chuckled at my comment then nodded. “Alright,” she said, “But we still need to talk about those Timber Wolves when you can!”

“Sure thing,” I said, “We’ll schedule something.”

I bowed politely to Princess Twilight and her friend, then headed off to face my destiny. I knew Sky Flare would be with Ivora by now, and I knew they’d have that Dragon’s Kiss just waiting for me, but I was prepared now. I hadn’t been expecting Breezy’s wine to be as strong as it was when he’d offered me some at his place, so it had caught me off guard. With this Dragon’s Kiss though, I knew it was going to pack a punch. So, with that knowledge in mind, I could check myself before I did anything stupid. Or at least, that was what I had hoped would be the case… In the human world, in my old body, that would have worked, but I really couldn’t be sure what would happen here. All I could do was hope for the best and try what I could not to wind up trouble.

Weaving through the crowd, I returned to the bonfire at the center of the Guild grounds, but Sky Flare was nowhere to be seen. I frowned and looked around again, but I couldn’t see her anywhere through all the Ponies around me. I paused a moment, then laughed at myself. Why was I still trying to find my way around like I would have in my world? I could fly now, so why not look for her from the air?

With a flap of my wings, I rose up above the crowd and scanned the Party below for anything red. Much to my surprise, I found Winter Light first. He was sitting on the roof of the Guild, looking out at the moon above. There was a light breeze, and his red scarf was waving beside him as it danced in the wind.

He looked upset about something, or maybe just lost in thought. I wasn’t sure which, so I locked my wings and sailed down to the rooftop behind him. “Hey there Winter,” I said softly, “Everything alright?”

“O-oh, Silver Wing!” Winter gasped as my words reached him, “Yes, everything’s fine!”

I chuckled at him and sat down. “I hear Sky Flare heard you talking about her,” I said, “That why you’re hiding up here?” I saw his muscles tense at my words and chuckled again.

“I-I’m not hiding,” Winter said, “I’m just… Taking a break. There’s so many Ponies down there after all, it can be hard to hear yourself think.”

“I know that feeling,” I said with a laugh, “I’d have stayed in my room all night if I could have, but… No such luck.”

“But you participated in the Annual Canterlot Race, and even held a demonstration of your fighting style for Princess Luna,” Winter said, surprise clear in his voice, “And both of those had more Ponies that this.”

“I know,” I said, “But I just try not to think about it for as long as I can. It may not seem like it, but I hate crowds… Not the biggest fan of parties either, but what can I do? These Ponies are all here to see the Timber Wolves Guild, and all of us by extension.”

“Yeah,” Winter said thoughtfully, “You, Sky Flare, Gale Stormrider, and Clyde Blackcoat. You all make up the Timber Wolves. You’re going to do so much for the Ponies of Equestria. I can’t wait to hear all about your adventures!”

I smiled at him and shook my head a little. He wasn’t a kid by any means, but he still thought a lot like one. It was cute. He’d come a long way since I first caught him spying on the Guild back when we were only beginning to fix this place up. He’d done a lot of work on the place to make up for it. And put up with a lot of Sky Flare’s less charming qualities. I had half expected to find that he’d left in the middle of the night for the first few weeks he was here, but he’d stuck it out like a champ. He deserved some recognition for all that he’d done to help us, regardless of how he came to be here.

“Well,” I said, coming to a decision, “Instead of just hearing about them, why not be a part of them instead?”

Winter looked to me with a clearly confused expression on his face. “What do you mean?” he asked.

“The way I see it,” I said simply, “You’ve been here almost since the beginning, and you’ve definitely done your fair share of the work. More so really, thanks to Sky’s attempts to drive you off. So, what I mean is, would you like to join the Timber Wolves as an actual member, and not just be a… Fan.”

Winter’s eyes grew wide and he almost seemed to start trembling with excitement. But, either through sheer effort of will, or by need of one final word of conformation, he held himself still and forced out his uncertain question. “A-are you serious?” he asked in barely more than a whisper.

I chuckled and nodded my head. “I am serious,” I said, “But there is one thing you should know before you make up your mind.” I didn’t want there to be any surprises for him down the road, so I figured I should give him all the details up front before he got his hopes up

“A-and that is?” He asked. He looked like his nerves were about to make him explode, though with joy or tears I couldn’t be sure.

“Every Pony in the Guild is required to be able to fight at the standards of the Canterlot Military,” I explained, “I can’t have Ponies out in the field if I’m not confident they can handle themselves in a sticky situation.”

“I’ve seen how you fight, Silver Wing,” Winter said quickly, “If I could do even half that good, there wouldn’t be a Pony in all of Equestria that could stop me!”

He beamed a smile at me and I waved a hoof at him tentatively to calm his enthusiasm down. “That may be true,” I said, “But unfortunately, the Princesses have forbidden me from training anyone but Sky Flare how to fight like I do.”

“O-oh…” Winter said, clearly let down by the news, “Who would train me then? Gale?”

I drew a deep breath, then exhaled slowly. “That’s the only part you may not like,” I said, “Sky Flare would be the one training you.”

It was like a tangible wave of dread crashed over Winter at my words. He looked mortified by the news and I explained quickly to try and comfort him.

“She’s in charge of making sure everyone in the Guild is up to standards,” I said, “But with all you’ve put up with already, I think you’d be just fine. Think about it, and tell me your answer tomorrow, alright? Sky Flare’s really not that bad, but she can be a little… Difficult to be around at times.”

Winter nodded several times, but remained silent.

I couldn’t tell if he was happy, or distraught over my offer to let him officially join the Guild, but there was little more I could do except let him think it over for himself. I rose to my feet and opened my wings to fly off, but paused. “By the way,” I said, glancing back at him, “That yellow Pegasus you were talking to earlier, Fluttershy? She was looking for you. Maybe she could help you decide what’d be best.” I smiled at him reassuringly, then leapt from the rooftop and sailed back over the crowd.


I’d been scouring the crowd for Sky Flare for nearly twenty minutes before I finally spotted her. I’d been searching the main group of Ponies that were laughing, dancing and otherwise enjoying themselves. I hadn’t thought to check behind the Guild until just now, and there she was. And sure enough, I found her talking with Ivora and Breezy. I took a quick glance around and let out a faint sigh of relief as I found there to be no alcohol in sight.

I landed softly nearby and trotted over to meet with them.

“Ah, Silver Ving,” Ivora cooed as I came up to them, “Or should I say, Guild Master Silver Ving.” She glanced at Sky Flare and let out a subtle chuckle before continuing, “How kind of you to come and join us.”

I ignored the title and bowed my head politely. “Good to see you again, Ivora,” I said, “I see you were able to arrange a visit here this time.”

“Indeed I vas,” she said, “And before I leave, you must show me your Timber Volves.”

“I will,” I said, “Consider it a promise.”

“I vill hold you to that.” She said softly.

“I was beginning to think I’d have to go find you and drag you back here by your feathers.” Sky Flare chimed in.

“Ah, the boy just knew it was time ta come an’ have a little fun is all,” Breezy chuckled, “He could’a spent the whole night with ‘is guests if wanted to.”

‘Yeah right,’ I thought, ‘Avoiding you two would be worse than fighting Luna with both arms tied behind my back.’

“Well, now that you’re finally here,” Sky Flare said, “We can really get this celebration going!” She glanced over to Ivora and grinned.

Ivora returned her grin and glanced over her shoulder. “Caspian?” she called, “If you vould be so kind as to fetch the black oak box from my carriage?”

I hadn’t noticed him before, but as she called to this “Caspian” I noticed the Butler I had first met when Sky Flare had taken me to Ivora’s mansion a month or so ago. He was dressed in the same Butler style vest, and it accented his polished brown coat and short cropped mane nicely. He looked even bigger now than I remembered though. Not as big as Clyde, but still pretty big for a Unicorn.

“As you wish, Ms. Ebon Ivora.” Caspian replied with a bow.

He trotted off a moment later and I sighed a little as I guessed at what he had been sent to retrieve.

“Oh don’t be like that,” Sky Flare chuckled at me, “A drink or two won’t kill you.”

“Yeah, but from what I hear, three might.” I said half under my breath.

Breezy laughed hard at my hushed words and trotted off towards the front of the Guild. “Be back in a minute,” he called over his shoulder, “Somethin’ tells me we’ll be needin’ ourselves a few glasses before long.”

“So, tell me Silver Ving,” Ivora said, “This Guild, it’s purpose is to help those in need, yes?”

I nodded. “That’s right.”

“How ever vill you help so many when you are only four?” she asked me seriously.

“More will join us as our reputation grows,” I told her, “And I’ve a feeling we’ll be five come the morning. And I know of two more that are interested in joining in a few months time. So that already has us up to seven by the end of the year.”

Sky Flare glanced at me, a clear question in her eyes. “I know Gale had mentioned Skyros and Soryks were interested, but who’s the other Pony you’re accounting for?” she asked.

“Winter Light,” I said simply, “He’s earned it, and I told him such tonight.”

“Not the little Ratite…” she groaned aloud, “He won’t even survive the training!”

Ivora glanced at her questioningly and Sky Flare replied almost angrily. “The little spy I told you about,” she said quickly, “The one that snuck in and… Won’t leave.”

I couldn’t help wondering if more had happened between Sky Flare and Winter than I knew about, but since neither of them had brought it up to me before now, it couldn’t have been too bad.

“Ah, that one,” Ivora said nodding, “Not all can be cut of silk though. Perhaps he vill prove his vorth in time?”

“He’s done a lot for the Guild already,” I said, “Just give him a chance, alright Sky?”

She snorted at me and twitched her tail irritably, but said nothing.

I sighed at her and looked around for some way to change her mood. As I did so, Breezy came back into view, with Caspian close behind.

‘He’s faster than he looks.’ I thought, both impressed and dismayed by the Butler’s rapid return.

Breezy set a tray with four tall, narrow glasses down on a small table nearby and waved us over to him.

Caspian met us halfway, then followed Ivora to Breezy before offering her the box she had requested.

“Thank you, Caspian.” she said. With her own magic, she took the box from Caspian and set it down in the table before smiling at me with a devilishly charming glean in her eye. “As I promised when last ve met, Silver Ving,” she said softly, “I bring to you a bottle of Dragon’s Kiss.”

She gestured for me to take the box and I swallowed nervously as I looked it over. The box itself looked like it must have cost a fortune. It was ebony black and polished till it gleamed with a nearly mirror-like finish. The entire thing was roughly a foot across and just as deep. The front had a simple red stamp that looked like a three-toed foot print, similar to a bird or, as I guessed it must look, a Dragon’s. Using the magic of my bracelet, I lifted the box from the table and gently slid the top of it off. Inside, I saw a glittering jewel about the size of a large ostrich egg, and about the same shape.

Carefully, I lifted the jeweled egg from the box and looked it over. It was glass of some sort, but carved to look like a large scaled egg. The bottom had a small flat section about the size of a silver dollar, so the egg-shaped bottle could stand upright on a shelf or table. And at its top was a glass plug that served to seal the alcohol inside. It fit seamlessly into the top of the egg, and if it weren’t for the transparent shell, I never would have seen it. The liquid inside was a dark red in color, but clear like fruit juice. It also seemed to almost glow a faint orange in the dim light behind the Guild. Though I couldn’t be certain if that was just a trick of the light on its glasslike surface or something in the drink itself.

“Whoo,” Breezy gasped, “That’s not just any ol’ bottle a Dragon’s Kiss right there. That’s the good stuff alright.”

“You don’t say…” I said nervously. I carefully set the egg-shaped bottle down on the table and took a deep breath.

“Oh, I do say,” Breezy said, shaking his head, “Makes the stuff I tried when I was yer age look like pumpkin juice.”

‘Of course it’s the best of the best,’ I thought ruefully, ‘Someone like Ivora wouldn’t have gotten the cheap stuff, even if the cheapest of this Dragon’s Kiss was considered great… But I can’t just say no. She and Sky Flare both made it quite clear how offensive it would be if I refused this gift. And I’m certain even Ivora would have had to pay a pretty penny for this…’

I looked from Sky Flare to Ivora and took another deep breath. “Well,” I said, steeling myself for what was to come, “I’ll never live it down if I don’t at least try it, but I’m not much for drinking. So I’ll have just the one glass, alright?”

I caught the faintest purr of a laugh escape Ivora’s lips and she smiled at me with dangerous and foreboding charm. “Of course,” she said sweetly, “One drink and you vill not offend.”

“You’re all having some too, right?” I asked hopefully.

“Not me,” Breezy said, taking a step back, “My little Lemon Bloom won’t make me a crumb a her apple pie for a month if I touch that stuff again!”

“It’s all yours Silver,” Sky Flare laughed, “I’ve heard enough stories about it from my Dad, and that’s one drink I don’t think I need to try.”

“Oh no you don’t!” I protested, “You want me to try it, you have to too!”

“No, I don’t,” Sky Flare laughed, “And you can’t make me.”

“Sure I can,” I said, “Guild Leader beats stubborn Pegasus. Now grab a glass. That’s an order.”

She snorted and eyed me challengingly for a moment, then shrugged. “Why not,” she relented, “One shot won’t hurt anypony.”

I let slip a slight sigh of relief, then looked to Ivora.

“I too vill share a glass vith you,” she said, “It vould be impolite for me not to.”

“Anyone else?” I asked, looking from Caspian, then to Breezy one final time.

“My duties prevent such activities,” Caspian stated, “But your offer is appreciated.”

“I’m sticking to my wings boy,” Breezy laughed, then he glanced to Sky Flare, “An’ I’ll do you a favor by not telling your Mother. This time.”

“If you’re offering a celebratory glass to all who may desire one,” a voice called after Breezy had finished, “We would not refuse a small one.”

I looked around and spotted Princess Celestia and Princess Luna sitting nearby. Whether they had been chatting amongst themselves, or watching our conversation unfold, I had no idea. But since they’d asked, I waved them over respectfully.

“Of course,” I said, “Please, join us.”

Gracefully, they made their way over and smiled at the egg-shaped bottle. “Even our stores rarely get this vintage,” Luna stated, “We’d best be cautious and have no more than the one.”

“Agreed,” Celestia said with a growing smile, “Moderation is always advised when dealing with the Dragon’s Kiss. Especially this Dragon’s.”

They chuckled for a moment at some private joke I wasn’t part of, then looked to me expectantly.

I glanced at the tray of glasses Breezy had brought and frowned as I realized that there were five of us, and only four glasses. “It looks like we’ll need another glass first,” I said, “I’ll go-”

“Please,” Caspian cut in, “Allow me.” His horn flared a light blue, then a glass burst into existence before him. The glass hovered in place for a moment, then drifted to the table, placing itself amongst the other identical glasses Breezy had brought.

“Uhh, thanks.” I said.

“Think nothing of it.” Caspian said, then he took a step back and left me to handle the pouring.

Carefully, I used the magic of my bracelet to remove the glass cork from the bottle and set it down on the table. Gently, I lifted the bottle up and tilted it over the first of the glasses that had been set out for us. As the liquid flowed into the glass, I realized the glow I had seen was not a trick of the light at all, but a property of the liquid itself. Whatever was in this stuff, it gave off a faintly magical orange glow.

One by one, I filled the glasses, then returned the bottle to the table. I replaced the cork and let out a relieved sigh. While I had long since mastered the magic of the bracelet, I couldn’t help but feel nervous when handling something so rare and valuable.

I gestured for everyone to take a glass and looked down at my own uncertainly.

“To the start of something new.” I said.

“To something new, and something good.” Sky Flare added. She smiled at me then raised her glass to her lips.

Ivora and the Princesses followed suit and I hesitantly followed along. I didn’t know what to expect from this Dragon’s Kiss. Saying it was made by Dragon’s made me think it would be bitter, or burn like cinnamon, but as I raised the strangely glowing drink to my lips, I found it had a sweet, inviting scent. As the liquid touched my tongue, I felt a wash of flavors unlike anything I’d ever known explode in my mouth. It was strong, but smooth. I felt what I could only describe as a ripple of electricity course through me as I swallowed, then the familiar warmth of alcohol rose up to fill me from head to hoof.

I took a deep breath and looked at the bottle with a suspicious eye. It didn’t have nearly the kick I had expected it to. It wasn’t fruit juice, that was for sure, but it wasn’t anything that seemed like I should be wary of. I glanced sidelong at Breezy, about to laugh at him for making me worry so much over nothing, then tensed at what I saw. He looked odd. His outline wavered ever so slightly as he moved, and light almost seemed to stretch out of him. I shook my head to try and clear my vision, but that only succeeded in making it worse. Light diffused everywhere around me, and the colors of all those I could see seemed glow with an intenseness I’d never thought possible.

Looking down at my feet, I found that moving them side to side caused a blurred after image to follow in their wake and I gasped as I realized what this stuff was, or at least, what its effects seemed to be. I could definitely taste the alcohol in it, but whatever else it was brewed with obviously had a Psychedelic effect! No wonder Breezy was so cautious of it. Any Psychedelic was dangerous enough on its own, but when paired with alcohol, you were just asking for trouble.

I set my glass down and took a deep breath to try and calm my mind.

“Vell?” Ivora asked in an amused tone, “Vhat do you think of the Dragon’s Kiss?”

“I tastes good,” I admitted, “But I think the one is all I need tonight.”

“Ve shall see,” she mused, “The night is yet young.”

“Most are a little startled by the effects of the Dragon’s Kiss when they first experience it,” Celestia said smiling, “But you seem quite calm. Did they have such things in your home, Silver Wing?”

“Sort of,” I admitted, “But it wasn’t something we used all that often.” ‘Or at all if we could help it…’ I thought nervously. Most plants or drugs that caused an effect like this were illegal in my world, and with good reason. I’d confiscated countless drug related paraphernalia during my time in law enforcement and I’d never be caught dead doing them myself. A few beers every now and then was fine, but getting high was a whole different story. But, maybe the effects of this stuff weren’t as bad for you, or as strong. As it was, I felt relatively normal still. I was buzzed off the alcohol, but I could still think clearly and move around as well as I should. I just had an altered sense of vision to go along with it.

Almost as I thought about it however, the effect it had on my sense of vision began to fade, and in its place was a warmth and comfort I had never known. Like a cramp letting go, all my concerns and fears just seemed to melt away. For the first time in months, the thought of home didn’t sting my heart and threaten to bring tears to my eyes. I still missed my family back in my world, but it didn’t hurt anymore. Somehow, this stuff seemed to have calmed that ever present part of me down and made me feel at home again for the first time since I’d gotten here.

I looked at Sky Flare and found her to be smiling widely at her now empty glass. She caught me looking at her and smiled even wider. “So Silver,” she cooed, “Wanna dance for us now, or you need some more time still?”

I laughed, though I wasn’t sure why what she said amused me as much as it did. “Dance for?” I said, “No. But I will dance with you if you’d like. We are behind the Guild here after all. So it’s not like I can embarrass myself here.”

“That’s the spirit!” Sky Flare laughed.

I didn’t seem to care nearly as much about what they’d think of my dance moves now, or even that there were so many around that could see. I just felt good. So good, I felt like nothing would bother me at all anymore.

“Though…” I said slowly as my mind realized a flaw in our plans, “We don’t have any music to dance too.”

“Fear not,” Ivora chimed in, “Caspian, if you vould be so kind?”

Caspian bowed his head low a moment then asked, “What melody would you prefer for this occasion Ms. Ebon Ivora?”

“Hmm.” Ivora looked thoughtful for a moment, then looked to Sky Flare. “Sky?” she asked, “Vhat do you feel vould be best?”

“Anything with a good beat,” She said, “Something we can shake our cutie marks to.”

“An’ that’ll be my que to go track down my dear Lemon Bloom,” Breezy said quickly, “I’m too old ta get caught up in the dances you kids do nowadays.” He chuckled at Sky Flare a moment, then trotted off, a wing waving in farewell as he went.

I waved back then shook my head and stopped myself. Why was I waving to him? He wasn’t even looking anymore.

Gradually, a tune rose into the air and I looked to Caspian. His horn glowed faintly, and from it a tune rose in volume. It started with what sounded like a violin, then gradually, a flute joined in, followed by a faint drum and symbols. More and more instruments followed as the melody rose in tempo, and before long I could have sworn an entire chorus was hidden within that horn of his.

“Come on Silver,” Sky Flare said, “Dance with us.” She flew a few feet away and smiled wildly at me, then beckoned Ivora to join her with a chuckle.

Ivora trotted over to her and, with the next change of tempo, leapt into a wild, but graceful dance. I’d never seen anything like it. She flowed from dancing on all fours, to her hind legs and back again with the fluid grace of a stream. She’d twist and coil, then leap this way and that. I’d never seen a Pony move like she could before. It was enchanting to witness. More surprising still was the fact that Sky Flare could seemingly mirror her every move almost perfectly. Sky Flare wasn’t quite as smooth in her transitions as Ivora was, and her range of motion was a little less in some parts, but she was no less enchanting. The two of them dancing together was a marvelous sight to behold, and for the life of me, I could not stop myself from staring at them.

Sky Flare slowed her dance and chuckled at me. “What’s the matter Silver,” she purred coyly, “Forget how to dance?”

“Yes,” I admitted without hesitation, “And even if I hadn’t, there is no way I could dance with the two of you. I’d be like a bull in a china shop by comparison.”

“Nonsense!” Ivora laughed, “Variety is the spice of life! Let there be no hesitation or regrets this night! Allow yourself to be free Silver Ving. Feel the music and let it take you vhere it vill!” She shifted her dance to a slower, more interpretive style and began weaving her way around me. Her current dance reminded me of ballet, but it was more fluid and had less spins. She looked like a willow tree in the wind. Both solid, yet ever shifting. Firm, yet giving in to the breeze around her.

I was awestruck by her performance, and try as I might, I couldn’t bring myself to move even a muscle.

“Maybe you just need to get moving a little,” Sky Flare said as she walked up to me, “You remember to spar still, don’t you?”

“What?” I asked, not sure what she was getting at, “Of course I remember how to spar. Why?”

She smiled cheshirely at me for a moment, then rose into the fighting stance I had taught her.

Instinctively my body followed suit, and I without realizing it, I assumed a position that mirrored her own.

She threw a simple jab at me and I evaded it easily. Another followed the first, then a third and a fourth.

I moved around her strikes as I usually would, but as I focused less on those around me and more on Sky Flare, the beat of Caspian’s music gradually crept into me.

Within a minute, Sky Flare and I were throwing well controlled but predictable strikes at one another with increasing speed. Every motion followed the flow of the music around us, and as it rose or fell in speed, so did we.

As we sparred to the sound of Caspian’s music, I couldn’t help but notice the amber glow in Sky Flare’s eyes. I didn’t know if it was the lighting, a lingering effect of the Dragon’s Kiss, or what, but her eyes looked so rich and vibrant right then. They almost seemed to glow with an internal fire that rivaled the torches that surrounded us. Her eyes held my gaze like they were the only thing in this world I could look at, and I dare say I lost myself in them.

“There you go,” Sky Flare said softly, “I knew this would loosen you up.”

Her voice was soft and sweet, yet distant. Like she was whispering to me from the end of a long tunnel. I had to strain my ears to hear her clearly, but when her words finally registered in my mind, I couldn’t help but grin at her. As I admired her in that moment, something caught my attention. My stance was wrong somehow, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on why I thought that. It took me a long moment to realize it, but we were too close. Looking down to see how we had wound up in this position, I froze as the sight before me finally made sense to my fogged mind.

I don’t know how or when, but I was holding her in my arms. My right foreleg was wrapped around her waist, holding her close to me by the small of her back, while my left forehoof was cupping her right forehoof out beside us. Apparently, we were in the middle of a waltz, but when did it start? How did it start for that matter? The last thing I remembered was getting into the swing of things with our little sparing match, so when did we up dancing like this?

“Aww,” Sky Flare pouted playfully at me, “Are we done already?”

I released her and stepped back, clearing my throat in dulled but still present embarrassment. “I uh…” I stammered, “I’m sorry.” Glancing around for some form of an answer, I found there to be a small crowd of Ponies encircling us. I blushed furiously as I found them all to be staring at Sky Flare and I and looked back to her questioningly.

“Aww don’t stop now!” one of the Mare’s that had been watching us called out, “That was beautiful!”

Sky Flare laughed at looked to the crowd. “Why don’t you all join us?” she said cheerfully, “Grab a partner and have a good time!”

I heard a murmur rise of from those nearest to us, then two by two, they fell into a dance all their own.

“You dance very vell,” Ivora said as she came up to me, “And there is much passion in the vay you move.”

“Blame the drink for that,” I said, “I don’t remember starting to dance at all.”

“The Dragon’s Kiss calms the mind only,” Ivora said, “It does not grant anything the drinker does not already possess.”

“I’m surprised I can still dance like that in this body,” I said, more to myself than to Ivora, “But I guess if I can still fight, why couldn’t I dance?”

Ivora looked at me quizzically and I shook my head. “Never mind,” I laughed, “Forget I said anything.”

“As you vish.” Ivora said, though she looked me over again with questioning eyes.

“Come on Silver, break time’s over,” Sky Flare said as she came up to me, “Here.” She had a small saucer in her mouth, and atop it sat a narrow glass filled with a red liquid.

I took the glass with my magic then paused as I sniffed at it. “Sky…” I sighed, recognizing the smell of the drink, “I said I was only going to have the one drink of that stuff.”

“Oh come on Silver,” she scoffed, “You were having a good time. You were relaxed, laughing, you danced me around the Guild into that crowd, remember?”

“No,” I admitted, “I don’t remember…” As I said it though, my mind flashed to our sparring as Caspian played his music. I saw myself move in close to Sky Flare and move to grasp her for a friendly toss, but stopped. I shifted my footing and closed in, then grabbed her around the waist and led her in a Waltz. I was wholly in the moment, and I could not deny that it had felt good to be able to just be myself again. Well, as much myself as I could be in this body.

I sighed at my own stupidity and, in one smooth gulp, downed the drink Sky Flare had offered me. “It’s a party after all, right?” I said to her with a shrug, “So might as well have some fun with it. I can regret it in the morning.”

She smiled widely at me and nodded to the crowd of Ponies that were now dancing to the latest tune Caspian was playing.

I could feel the tingling electrical sensation of the Dragon’s Kiss wash over once more and glanced to Ivora. Her entire form shimmered like starlight as my vision stretched beyond its normal limits. I knew the effects wouldn’t last for more than a few seconds, but it was still interesting to watch. “Remind me later Ivora,” I said slowly, “To show you those dance moves you were curious about. I’d show you now but… I believe I’ve yet to finish my dance with Sky Flare.”

“The night is yet young, Silver Ving,” Ivora grinned, “Take your time, but should you vish a new partner for a dance or two, do not hesitate to ask.”

I bowed my head low and swept a wing before me in a flamboyant bow. “It would be an honor,” I said, “The next dance will be yours.”

Sky Flare and Ivora both burst out laughing at my statement and I quickly joined in.

‘This was going to be a good night,’ I thought, ‘And what better way is there to bring a group of friends together than sharing in a good time?’